PDA

View Full Version : Props for sale- bargain or not?

Dangermouse
04-23-2012, 10:08 AM
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/clt/2972054117.html

Firstly, is this anyone one here?

Secondly, is this what a hoverboard prop goes for? Honest question, as I have no idea?

I am guessing $300 for the singular shoe and $2700 for the board

"I am selling my one (1) Authentic Nike Mag shoe. Again, This is for one shoe only, not a pair. I only own the 'Right' shoe and it is a size 9. (same size Marty McFly wears.)
This is the real deal made by Nike last year. The shoe is brand new, never worn. The shoe lights up with the pinch of the ear on top. The shoe itself comes with the original Nike Mag box, charger, instructions, and a DVD containing special features related to the Nike Mag.

I am also including one Hoverboard prop. This is an exact replica of the stunt hoverboard used in Back to the future 2 & 3.
Only two types of hoverboards were made. Wood and Foam boards. This is a hard foam hoverboard. Just like the stunt versions from the film. The hoverboard has a rotating foot pad and Velcro grips on top of the board like the 'Hero' versions of the board.

I have included a custom made display for the hoverboard and Nike shoe. It's made out of clear Lexan, and gives an excellent hovering illusion. This is how I had the Nike Mag shoe and hoverboard displayed.

As a gift I will include one 2015 metal barcode license plate, screen accurate to the one on film. This is an exact reproduction to the 2015 license plate used on the DeLorean in part 2 and 3.

Price: $3,000.00 "

nullset
04-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Secondly, is this what a hoverboard prop goes for? Honest question, as I have no idea?

"I am selling my one (1) Authentic Nike Mag shoe. Again, This is for one shoe only, not a pair. I only own the 'Right' shoe and it is a size 9. (same size Marty McFly wears.)
This is the real deal made by Nike last year. The shoe is brand new, never worn. The shoe lights up with the pinch of the ear on top. The shoe itself comes with the original Nike Mag box, charger, instructions, and a DVD containing special features related to the Nike Mag.

As a gift I will include one 2015 metal barcode license plate, screen accurate to the one on film. This is an exact reproduction to the 2015 license plate used on the DeLorean in part 2 and 3.

Holy crap. Someone has clearly lost their mind.

Also, what happened to the other shoe? I'm pretty sure they were sold in pairs…...

thirdmanj
04-23-2012, 02:20 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/46a04793-9d49-bc91.jpg

Nicholas R
04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
You can buy a damn good hoverboard on ebay typically for a few hundred. That is a ridiculous asking price.

This is also listed on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-To-The-Future-Nike-Mag-Shoe-And-Hoverboard-Prop-/120899398876?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c262a6cdc#ht_848wt_1185

sphiend
04-23-2012, 06:22 PM

I am also including one Hoverboard prop. This is an exact replica of the stunt hoverboard used in Back to the future 2 & 3.
Only two types of hoverboards were made. Wood and Foam boards. This is a hard foam hoverboard. Just like the stunt versions from the film. The hoverboard has a rotating foot pad and Velcro grips on top of the board like the 'Hero' versions of the board.

I have included a custom made display for the hoverboard and Nike shoe. It's made out of clear Lexan, and gives an excellent hovering illusion. This is how I had the Nike Mag shoe and hoverboard displayed.

Think you have the values wrong. The shoe is the expensive part. A pair of these was selling for between 4k and 12k

Not sure why anyone would split the pair unless he is trying to profit by creating two props to sell.

DL4567
04-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Actually, it's the other way around. But not quite to that extreme. The hoverboard he's got came from the same seller I bought one from in 2005 or so, and I paid $150 for it if that gives you any idea. The shoes, as we all know, went for $3-4 grand on ebay when they were sold by Nike last September.

So that said, the one shoe would be worth about $1,500, and the hoverboard around $200. His ebay buy-it-now of $1,925 is much more reasonable.

I actually exchanged a few messages with the seller this past weekend over ebay's messaging system. I noticed that he's located in the "Peach State," more specifically, an hour north of Atlanta (just like me!). I told him I was a huge BTTF fan with a DeLorean, and asked if he might be willing to show me the shoe, as I've never seen the official MAGs in person as of yet. Turns out he used to have a DeLorean too, but complained about how slow it was.

Here's what he wrote if anyone's interested:
"Own a DeLorean but not mag shoes. I hear ya!
I've owned a DeLorean years ago, but sold it to go on with my life. Only so much you could do with a 2 door 'sports car'. I use the ' ' term lightly because with its 130HP PRV engine, it left me wanting more than just a flashy looking eye catcher. I really wish it had at least the old Lotus engine. But unfortunately, Lotus would not oblige.

Although I will say I miss the old tin can! ;)
Its not everyday you wash a car with oven cleaner and a brillo pad! Boy that brings back memories. :)

Nice chatting with you, take care."

He didn't really respond about showing off the shoe, so I didn't press him any further.

82DMC12
04-23-2012, 06:37 PM
I'm guessing he never really had a DeLorean since he is only speaking in your typical car show cat-call language.

mluder
04-23-2012, 07:04 PM
I would disagree about the value of a single shoe. Sure, as a set they were going for 3-4 grand. A single shoe however is not worth half of that. It's essentially valueless without the mate. I wouldn't pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for a single.

Cheers.
Steve

Actually, it's the other way around. But not quite to that extreme. The hoverboard he's got came from the same seller I bought one from in 2005 or so, and I paid $150 for it if that gives you any idea. The shoes, as we all know, went for $3-4 grand on ebay when they were sold by Nike last September.

So that said, the one shoe would be worth about $1,500, and the hoverboard around $200. His ebay buy-it-now of $1,925 is much more reasonable.

I actually exchanged a few messages with the seller this past weekend over ebay's messaging system. I noticed that he's located in the "Peach State," more specifically, an hour north of Atlanta (just like me!). I told him I was a huge BTTF fan with a DeLorean, and asked if he might be willing to show me the shoe, as I've never seen the official MAGs in person as of yet. Turns out he used to have a DeLorean too, but complained about how slow it was.

Here's what he wrote if anyone's interested:
"Own a DeLorean but not mag shoes. I hear ya!
I've owned a DeLorean years ago, but sold it to go on with my life. Only so much you could do with a 2 door 'sports car'. I use the ' ' term lightly because with its 130HP PRV engine, it left me wanting more than just a flashy looking eye catcher. I really wish it had at least the old Lotus engine. But unfortunately, Lotus would not oblige.

Although I will say I miss the old tin can! ;)
Its not everyday you wash a car with oven cleaner and a brillo pad! Boy that brings back memories. :)

Nice chatting with you, take care."

He didn't really respond about showing off the shoe, so I didn't press him any further.

Dangermouse
04-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Ha sorry. I was thinking about Nike Dunks.

Agreed on splitting the pair to make a profit. No one is going to wear them so one in a display is just as effective as two.

The other way of looking at it is that he is giving two collectors the opportunity to own a Mag for less than it would cost for a pair for one collector.

dvonk
04-23-2012, 11:56 PM
..."I really wish it had at least the old Lotus engine. But unfortunately, Lotus would not oblige[...]
its not everyday you wash a car with oven cleaner and a brillo pad! Boy that brings back memories..."

sigh...