PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference of lowering springs

dmc3130
04-24-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm looking to get some lowering springs and shocks for 3130. I'm sold on the Spax shocks but not sure the difference between SpecialT's lowering springs and DPI's springs. Can any one point me in the right direction. Also I would like to update all rubber bushing at the same time. What is the best kit to do that? Poly or OEM :nana2:

MartyP
04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Did you also check the Eibach from DMC ?

dmc3130
04-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Ya, I thought the Spax were a better choice.

DMCMW Dave
04-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Ya, I thought the Spax were a better choice.

Spax shocks are what we (DMCH etc) are selling now.

Eibach makes the springs we use.

dmc3130
04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Another question. With the lower back springs do you need the adjustable link for the rears so the tires sit flat? It would seam that you would.

Chris_Von_Bron
04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
You don't have to change your rear springs.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/MK%20Classic%20Tour%20April%202012/Tour21.jpg

I fitted shorter firmer springs at the front and dropped the height of the rear 'custom' shocks at the back to improve the stance (as well as handing). Most of the aftermarket shocks (Spax, Protech and others) allow the rear shocks to be adjusted to change the ride height. If you would like to see photos please see the topic below:-

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3762-DeLorean-in-UK-Classic-Car-Rally

Completed suspension upgrades on my car are as follows:-

Protech ‘oil filled’ aluminium shocks (twin adjustment at the rear + single adjustment at the front)
Kutchen strut brace
DPNW ARB kit
New rubber bushes all round
UK front lower springs
Bryan Pearce upper and lower stainless control arms

dmc3130
04-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Spax shocks are what we (DMCH etc) are selling now.

Eibach makes the springs we use.

What is the going price for that setup??

DMCMW Dave
04-26-2012, 08:06 PM
What is the going price for that setup??

Springs alone $399, Spax shocks alone $649.

$949 for springs and shocks bought together.

Grover
04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Rob Grady also has a custom setup for lowering springs in just the front.

dmc3130
04-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Would I need the adjustable lower link for the setup of all 4 lwering springs?:rock_on:

Dangermouse
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM

Is that per axle or for all four?

dmc3130
04-27-2012, 11:41 PM
Is that per axle or for all four?

It's my understanding that it is for all 4 of both springs and shocks 8)

Jacko
04-28-2012, 01:10 AM
Another question. With the lower back springs do you need the adjustable link for the rears so the tires sit flat? It would seam that you would.I'm running the SPAX adjustable rear shocks and have put about 5k miles on the setup. The car is lowered considerably and common sense would suggest the need for an adjustable link. However, I don't have one and the rear tires show no uneven wear ... yet.

dmc3130
04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm running the SPAX adjustable rear shocks and have put about 5k miles on the setup. The car is lowered considerably and common sense would suggest the need for an adjustable link. However, I don't have one and the rear tires show no uneven wear ... yet.

Are you running the lowering springs as well? If so, whitch ones?

Jacko
04-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Are you running the lowering springs as well? If so, whitch ones?I don't think anyone is doing it since the vendors started offering lowering springs but I made my own. I ground 2 inches off the rear springs (no torch, use grinder) and I ground the front springs to a free standing height of 12 1/2 inches. Results in the pic attached.

dmc3130
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't think anyone is doing it since the vendors started offering lowering springs but I made my own. I ground 2 inches off the rear springs (no torch, use grinder) and I ground the front springs to a free standing height of 12 1/2 inches. Results in the pic attached.

Did you need to install the adjustable lower link to get the rear tires to sit flat? I just want to get all the parts ordered before I tear that suspention apart and find that I still need something.:rock_on:

DMCMW Dave
04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
You need the adjustable links to get the tires back in alignment spec (camber) but honestly tire wear does not seem to suffer with the tires cambered negative a bit. It doesn't look any worse than most BMWs at the back (top of rear tires inward slightly compared to the fronts). If there are other issues or you are a high mile driver, or just want it perfect, it can help.

dmc3130
04-30-2012, 06:59 PM
You need the adjustable links to get the tires back in alignment spec (camber) but honestly tire wear does not seem to suffer with the tires cambered negative a bit. It doesn't look any worse than most BMWs at the back (top of rear tires inward slightly compared to the fronts). If there are other issues or you are a high mile driver, or just want it perfect, it can help.

Thanks, I was thinking on just lowering the fronts to match the rears, and then replace all shock to Spax. How has that setup been working in you experience.

DMCMW Dave
04-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks, I was thinking on just lowering the fronts to match the rears, and then replace all shock to Spax. How has that setup been working in you experience.

I don't know, I've never done anything other than replace all springs and shocks at the same time, or leave it all stock. There are some folks on the list with that setup I believe.

Really doing that you save only the cost of the rear springs. Labor is the same whether you replace the rear shocks or put the originals back on. FYI though - the rear Spax have adjustable height, so you could lower the rear with OEM springs but the rates will be other than what was tested/engineered.

Domi
05-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Bryan Pearce upper and lower stainless control arms

Do you have a picture of them installed please?
I saw on his website, they are no longer available right now...

Nicholas R
05-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Just as a side note, the stock springs have the spring rate as the eibach springs, they're just shorter. In addition, the rear eibach springs are nearly identical in height to the stock originals. I've talked to several people who have swapped their stock front springs to the rear and just purchased new front lowering springs.

dmc3130
05-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Just as a side note, the stock springs have the spring rate as the eibach springs, they're just shorter. In addition, the rear eibach springs are nearly identical in height to the stock originals. I've talked to several people who have swapped their stock front springs to the rear and just purchased new front lowering springs.

Do know if the Uk springs have a differant rating. If so I'll go that rought.

DMCMW Dave
05-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Not quite. Here is a photo of OE vs Eibach. The tall ones to the right are the rears.

dmc3130
05-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Well have placed my order with DPI. Front lowering springs, Spax shocks, LCA support brackets and new poly sway bar bushings. I'll let you know how it goes when I get everything installed.8)

Jacko
05-16-2012, 04:04 AM
As I was walking by 4915 today I snapped these pics. The rear has been lowered with Spax adjustable shocks. After 5k miles on the Mastercraft Avenger tires I don't see any uneven wear.

dmc3130
05-19-2012, 11:52 AM
As I was walking by 4915 today I snapped these pics. The rear has been lowered with Spax adjustable shocks. After 5k miles on the Mastercraft Avenger tires I don't see any uneven wear.

How much did you lower the rear with the shocks?

Jacko
05-20-2012, 09:24 PM
How much did you lower the rear with the shocks?The rear was already lowered about 2 inches with shorter springs. I lowered it an additional 1 inch with the spax shocks. It's the weirdest thing ... before I put the Spax shocks on the front tires would sometimes rub the fenders in a turn. After lowering the rear more it caused the front to rise a little thereby eliminating the rubbing up front ... I mean I can't make it rub now ... weird.:hmm:

DMCMW Dave
05-20-2012, 10:37 PM
The rear was already lowered about 2 inches with shorter springs. I lowered it an additional 1 inch with the spax shocks. It's the weirdest thing ... before I put the Spax shocks on the front tires would sometimes rub the fenders in a turn. After lowering the rear more it caused the front to rise a little thereby eliminating the rubbing up front ... I mean I can't make it rub now ... weird.:hmm:

Maybe the new shocks are a bit stiffer too?

Witchboard
05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I eventually plan on lowering mine as well. Is there a problem with taking the existing front springs and move them to the back when replacing the front with shorter ones?

82DMC12
05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
You might want to just lower the front and put adjustable shocks in the back using stock springs. I have Grady front springs and midstate dmc shocks. I think it looks perfect but not "slammed".

Andy

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefd92e8-66bb-2ccf.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/aefd92e8-6670-f6f3.jpg

Jacko
05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I eventually plan on lowering mine as well. Is there a problem with taking the existing front springs and move them to the back when replacing the front with shorter ones?Although a lot of owners have done it it's not a good idea to move the front springs to the rear. The wire size of the front springs is smaller than the rears so they have a different spring rate. I did this myself in my first attempt at lowering 16647 but noticed some 'wallowing' in certain situations. The hot set-up is to either put in lowering front springs from a vendor or cut 'em off to a free standing height of 12 1/2 inches ... but leave them on the front and get yourself some adjustable shocks for the rear (all the rear shocks offered by the vendors are adjustable). Your D will look better and handle better ... you won't be sorry. :rock_on:

Witchboard
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Gotcha. Just a thought. ^_^ Thanks for the input guys.

dmc3130
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm still waiting on the parts from DPI. Tryed to call today but no answer and his mailbox was full so I couldn't leave a message. I'll try again. I need to get at least the fronts done by the 9th of June. Car show Time!!!!!!!!!!!:rock_on:

dmc3130
05-22-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm still waiting on the parts from DPI. Tryed to call today but no answer and his mailbox was full so I couldn't leave a message. I'll try again. I need to get at least the fronts done by the 9th of June. Car show Time!!!!!!!!!!!:rock_on:

This is how the car sits now

SIMid
05-23-2012, 01:21 AM
I guess you pay for what you get. Try and save as much as you can and get a whole new set of springs and shocks.

Mixing springs, cutting them or just restting them will never make the car handle or ride properly.

If it was a shitbox, then do it (like putting washers on the studs to play around with the offset :lol: ). But this is a Delorean, you really should do it right the first time. ;)

http://i46.tinypic.com/15n13j5.jpg

She has settled a little more since the photo was taken. Eibachs and Spax.

Witchboard
05-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I saw these this morning. Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290716891987&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Domi
05-23-2012, 03:31 PM
That's the same of Wolfgang from Germany:
http://deloman.mwp-server.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=222&Itemid=157
I don't know if some European owner already bought this set?
Maybe Wolfgang will be able to tell us more about it.
I think there is another topic here about them?

Chris_Von_Bron
06-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Do you have a picture of them installed please?
I saw on his website, they are no longer available right now...

I didn't realise that the lowers were no longer available. As requested here are some photos of them fitted.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0452.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0451.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0450.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0447.jpg

DMCVegas
06-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Are there any handling issues with just lowing the front? The rear wheel fender gap always looked fine to me, with the fronts looking jacked up. I love the look of the new lowered front end, but hate the uneven gap around the rear wheels once the car is lowered. Any negatives to just dropping the front.

dmc6960
06-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Are there any handling issues with just lowing the front? The rear wheel fender gap always looked fine to me, with the fronts looking jacked up. I love the look of the new lowered front end, but hate the uneven gap around the rear wheels once the car is lowered. Any negatives to just dropping the front.

Absolutely not. Do it. In my opinion its the best. I've been running with lowered front springs for 2 years, rear is stock height. Couldn't be happier.

Squall67584
06-04-2012, 12:54 PM
I didn't realise that the lowers were no longer available. As requested here are some photos of them fitted.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0452.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0451.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0450.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/Chris_Von_Bron/UIJ%20197/IMAG0447.jpg

Mmmmmmm, 4 piston vented brakes :tongue2:

Are the stainless LCA's stronger than the originals? I'm only wondering because to my eye they look rather thin. Do they also improve the handling as well?

Domi
06-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Thank you very much for the pictures :)
Let's hope someday, it will be available again?

Chris_Von_Bron
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Mmmmmmm, 4 piston vented brakes :tongue2:

Are the stainless LCA's stronger than the originals? I'm only wondering because to my eye they look rather thin. Do they also improve the handling as well?

I did mean to weigh them so unaware of the weight compared to stock. I've not found any improvement with handling and wasn't expecting too. I wanted a material that wouldn't rust and these fulfil this nicely. I'm not sure if they are as strong as stock or not but for normal road use I'm sure they'll be fine.

Evildeli
06-22-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd love to see a pic comparison between DPI's, DMCH's and Hervey's springs.

dmc3130
07-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Well I finished most of the install of My lowering springs From DPI. I'm still witing on the LCA support brackets that were on back order. I went with the Spax shock on the 4 corners and DPI front lowering springs. While I was in there I repainted the rear springs and collars. Also repainted the front brake calipars, cleaned what I could and put it all back together. Here are the befor and after pics.

dmc3130
07-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Well I finished most of the install of My lowering springs From DPI. I'm still witing on the LCA support brackets that were on back order. I went with the Spax shock on the 4 corners and DPI front lowering springs. While I was in there I repainted the rear springs and collars. Also repainted the front brake calipars, cleaned what I could and put it all back together. Here are the befor and after pics.

Here are some under ther car pics

kajcienski
12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Living in NYC I am lucky enough to have some of the smoothest roads in the world. Wait... reverse that. My question is specifically about potholes. I have used the "I have original springs because of potholes" excuse long enough and am curious if anyone has any input on whether my clearance will be sufficient enough when lowered for NYC roads? I want to improve my comfort and handling (will be going with power steering mod and power break mod). Any thoughts?

jackb
12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Living in NYC I am lucky enough to have some of the smoothest roads in the world. Wait... reverse that. My question is specifically about potholes. I have used the "I have original springs because of potholes" excuse long enough and am curious if anyone has any input on whether my clearance will be sufficient enough when lowered for NYC roads? I want to improve my comfort and handling (will be going with power steering mod and power break mod). Any thoughts?
IMO, the lowered front end is NOT compatible with NYC roads. (Source: I am originally from NY and drive a lowered D)

Trstno1
08-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Absolutely not. Do it. In my opinion its the best. I've been running with lowered front springs for 2 years, rear is stock height. Couldn't be happier.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Just replacing the shocks and springs in the front and leaving the back stock. Does anyone have any pictures of what that looks like? I'm considering pj Grady lowered front springs.

dmc3130
04-03-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Just replacing the shocks and springs in the front and leaving the back stock. Does anyone have any pictures of what that looks like? I'm considering pj Grady lowered front springs.

See post 45 and 46. I did just that.......Love it:hihi2:

Gregadeth
04-03-2016, 04:19 PM
See post 45 and 46. I did just that.......Love it:hihi2:DPI sells the LCA brackets? I thought it was only available from Europe.

Ryan King
04-06-2016, 12:51 AM

I am probably one of few who went BACK to stock after lowering the front.
I had a batch of Martin's springs from the UK.

I found it to be absolutely miserable.
I kept blowing shocks out. Blew a pair of Easy Riders, then Two Pairs of Gabriel Guardians. The car handled like turds, and it always thumped, twanged, and pwanged up there. Maybe its just because our roads are horrid crap here in California. I ended up settling on going back to my stock springs (Luckily my car isn't "Nose High") with a KYB spring set up in the front, and reverted back to my stock rear shocks. I have been happy ever since.

I suppose it depends on what you use your DeLorean for. Mine? Its a cruiser, and I am taking it out of town more and more. I prefer comfort over sport.

FABombjoy
04-06-2016, 09:08 AM
I had a batch of Martin's springs from the UK.

I found it to be absolutely miserable.
I kept blowing shocks out. Blew a pair of Easy Riders, then Two Pairs of Gabriel Guardians. The car handled like turds, and it always thumped, twanged, and pwanged up there.
I have Martin's springs too and they are definitely a higher, sportier spring rate than stock. They would need a much firmer or adjustable shock to prevent the front end from feeling like a pogo stick :D

I used to have PJ Grady's lowering springs too (the older version) and they paired better with stock or stock-ish shocks.

It's a bit frustrating because there are a fair amount of options but there is very little data published to compare. I would like to increase the rear rate a bit and figure I'll have to remove one and measure the stock rate, then go see what's available universally.

Drive Stainless
04-06-2016, 10:12 AM
I have Martin's springs too and they are definitely a higher, sportier spring rate than stock. They would need a much firmer or adjustable shock to prevent the front end from feeling like a pogo stick :D

I used to have PJ Grady's lowering springs too (the older version) and they paired better with stock or stock-ish shocks.

It's a bit frustrating because there are a fair amount of options but there is very little data published to compare. I would like to increase the rear rate a bit and figure I'll have to remove one and measure the stock rate, then go see what's available universally.

Have you guys considered QA1 coilovers? They're the closest thing to a *universal* suspension you can find. 18 firmness settings and several inches of height adjustment. You can see there's roughly 3 inches of adjustment in either direction on the rear shown here:

FABombjoy
04-06-2016, 10:25 AM
I've seen their catalog and have considered swapping from Spax to QA1 down the road.

Did you select spring rates similar to stock?

Drive Stainless
04-06-2016, 10:45 AM
I've seen their catalog and have considered swapping from Spax to QA1 down the road.

Did you select spring rates similar to stock?

No. Because the lengths of the springs are different, the same rates cannot be used. QA1 provides a lot of technical info to help you calculate what spring rate you may need. Unfortunately, (expensive) experimentation proved more accurate than the provided calculations, and when I finally hit the right balance, I put together the front and rear kits with the needed hardware and offered it for sale. None of the QA1 vendors allow you to return a spring once it's been installed, which is what makes the experimentation expensive.

Certainly, it would also be the best kit for anyone who performs an engine swap or EV conversion, since the spring rates could be configured to match the anticipated front and rear axle weights.

FABombjoy
04-06-2016, 10:57 AM
No. Because the lengths of the springs are different, the same rates cannot be used.
Comparing the wheel rates, would you say your setup is greater than, less than, or about the same as stock?

Drive Stainless
04-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Comparing the wheel rates, would you say your setup is greater than, less than, or about the same as stock?

What is a wheel rate?

FABombjoy
04-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Wheel rate is the effective spring rate at the tire.

What I'm trying to ascertain is: If the shocks were set a 0 damping and I tried to bounce the suspension, are the coil springs that you've selected for your QA1 setup more or less stiff than stock equivalent?

Drive Stainless
04-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Wheel rate is the effective spring rate at the tire.

What I'm trying to ascertain is: If the shocks were set a 0 damping and I tried to bounce the suspension, are the coil springs that you've selected for your QA1 setup more or less stiff than stock equivalent?

I see. My kit is configured for a predetermined ride height that I find fits the look of the car best (26.5" rear, 24" front). If you preferred to ride at this height or higher (e.g., OEM height), you could use a longer spring, which would be less stiff, but allow for less adjustability. I use a shorter spring to allow for greater adjustability from this baseline ride height. The shorter spring(s) is naturally stiffer than the longer spring(s).

These concerns and other options are discussed with the owner at time of sale. There is no change in price.

I do not publish the spring rates or part numbers because I do not wish to inspire more competition in an already-niche market. If you visit QA1's online store and create a provisional order including all needed components, you will find that my prices are substantially similar to the retail price from QA1 directly.