PDA

View Full Version : Replacement clock for DeLorean DMC-12

DeLoreanVIN
04-25-2012, 03:44 PM
I would like to present to you a DeLorean product i have been working on: Replacement clock printed circuit board (PCB) for DeLorean.

Some of the main features include:
* Replaces PCB of original clock without permanent modifications.
* Zero power consumption when ignition switch is off (long life rechargable battery built in).
* Remains on time without external power source, car battery can be switched off.
* 12 (original) or 24 hour display formats.
* Display brightness is dimmed when parking/side lights or head/side lights are on as in original clock.
* Setting time is identical to original clock.
* Available with green or blue digits.

The clock will be for sale as of now, also in the USA.

Please contact me for more information.
For orders, please send me a PM.

Maurice

9923 9924

dmcjohn
04-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi Maurice,

Well done, looks great!

Can you let me know the price please?

Thanks,
John

Domi
04-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Really nice improvement, congratulation :)

dvonk
04-25-2012, 04:18 PM
nice looking clock! :thumbup:

do you have a photo of it installed in the console?

ccurzio
04-25-2012, 04:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/aBQ6f.jpg

MML
04-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Also would like to know the price Maurice... I might just order one as I use a battery cutoff switch!

Bitsyncmaster
04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Nice work.

Do you think the LEDs show up better in the daylight?

thirdmanj
04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Yes a price please! And pictures of one installed if its not too much trouble! Im very interested, my clock "works" but I can't seem to set it, and it won't reset it's self to 1200 when the power is cut off to it. I've tried three times now and it just resets itself to random times, very weird. Thanks again for this awesome upgrade!

jawn101
04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Really cool. Be very interested to hear the price on it :)

Also, just as more of a curiosity - did you do anything in the design of the unit to allow it to sit at an angle that might be more visible from the driver's seat? :)

sphiend
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
And yet again....

Price please.

john 05141
04-26-2012, 04:46 AM
I have this clock. Installed this last year in the blue version. Very happy with this.
Goes great with the blue LED's in my window switches too.

John

outatym2001
04-26-2012, 07:34 AM
I hope to GAWD this is not some sort of cruel joke. I am going to order one right now and let you all know what happens. I am so tired of looking at the empty hole where my clock was and I want the interior complete.

ccurzio
04-26-2012, 08:34 AM
I hope to GAWD this is not some sort of cruel joke. I am going to order one right now and let you all know what happens. I am so tired of looking at the empty hole where my clock was and I want the interior complete.

I hope you realize this is just the board and not the black plastic housing. If you've got an empty hole where your clock used to be, this won't fix it.

I also hope it's not a joke. No replies from the OP to the thread, nor the PM I sent.

mluder
04-26-2012, 12:15 PM
I hope you realize this is just the board and not the black plastic housing. If you've got an empty hole where your clock used to be, this won't fix it.

I also hope it's not a joke. No replies from the OP to the thread, nor the PM I sent.

I also have gotten no reply to the PM I sent him.
My clock works but I'm always in the market for back-ups depending on cost.

Anyone have any idea why he didn't post the price? Is it forbidden to directly sell through the board?

Cheers
Steve

Bitsyncmaster
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
I also have gotten no reply to the PM I sent him.
My clock works but I'm always in the market for back-ups depending on cost.

Anyone have any idea why he didn't post the price? Is it forbidden to directly sell through the board?

Cheers
Steve

I also have a working OEM clock but his board looks like a nice upgrade. I wonder if the LEDs are a little bigger and brighter than the OEM display.

He may need some idea of how many units he can sell. It makes a big difference in parts cost if you can buy larger quanties.

Citizen
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Just wondering...if it's the board only, and not the housing, how is it you can specify color of the LEDs you want?

dmc6960
04-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Just wondering...if it's the board only, and not the housing, how is it you can specify color of the LEDs you want?

The color filter on the lens will allow visual light in both the blue or green spectrum to pass. If you stick red or amber LEDs behind it it would not turn out so well.

DeLoreanVIN
04-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi,

To answer the questions about the price.

The price of the item is, for a display with:
* green digits: 179 Euro.
* blue digits: 199 Euro.(blue digit components are more expensive)

These prices are exclusive shipping costs.

Maurice

DeLoreanVIN
04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I want to answer the questions raised earlier in the thread:

The size and also the readability of the digits is comparable to the original clock. Note that the separator dots between hours and minutes are placed a bit wider. The blue digit display is a bit more bright than the green digit display. See the blue digit display in action in daylight in the earlier post of "john 05141" in this thread.

As "dmc6960" mentioned above, the green cover of the housing does hardly influence the color appearance of the green or blue digits.

To make things clear. The clock is a replacement printed circuit board (PCB). It replaces the original PCB, you need to have the original clock housing and cover to install it.
Installing should be easy by following the steps in the included manual.

Maurice

bunni
04-26-2012, 07:13 PM
HOLY HELL, that is way overpriced. Niche market I guess. Looks good, but geeze...

mluder
04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
HOLY HELL, that is way overpriced. Niche market I guess. Looks good, but geeze...

I don't fault the guy for taking hte time to develope this (or copy the original) and wanting to make some money but I think I agree. I can't believe their is nearly $240 in parts and labor in this thing...

There is a well known board member who has crafted half a dozen relay and other electrical replacements parts. Each are hand made but I don't think a single one is over $100. That being said the original parts for those are still available unlike the clock.

I will be curious to see how many he sells.

Just my opinion.
Cheers
Steve

bunni
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
If it came with a case I might be more willing to warm up to that price. I know what its like to have to come up with a cost for something like that, you either sell them at a high price and only have to sell a few or drop the price and hope that enough people will buy in order for you to break even. I've never dealt with a niche market like this, there might be more than enough people willing to pay that price. But I could probably build my own blue one for half of the cost + shipping to the USA. I guess I will have to add that to my list of DeLorean things to do. I've toyed with trying to put a Nixie tube clock somewhere in the car. But I have not really come up with any good plans yet.

DeloreanJoshQ
04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi,

I want to answer the questions raised earlier in the thread:

The size and also the readability of the digits is comparable to the original clock. Note that the separator dots between hours and minutes are placed a bit wider. The blue digit display is a bit more bright than the green digit display. See the blue digit display in action in daylight in the earlier post of "john 05141" in this thread.

As "dmc6960" mentioned above, the green cover of the housing does hardly influence the color appearance of the green or blue digits.

To make things clear. The clock is a replacement printed circuit board (PCB). It replaces the original PCB, you need to have the original clock housing and cover to install it.
Installing should be easy by following the steps in the included manual.

Maurice

Any chance of a group purchase to lower the cost?

mluder
04-26-2012, 07:55 PM
If it came with a case I might be more willing to warm up to that price. I know what its like to have to come up with a cost for something like that, you either sell them at a high price and only have to sell a few or drop the price and hope that enough people will buy in order for you to break even. I've never dealt with a niche market like this, there might be more than enough people willing to pay that price. But I could probably build my own blue one for half of the cost + shipping to the USA. I guess I will have to add that to my list of DeLorean things to do. I've toyed with trying to put a Nixie tube clock somewhere in the car. But I have not really come up with any good plans yet.

Now that's sweet - spendy little things though.

Cheers
Steve

outatym2001
04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Here I am quoting myself again.

I have to pass on the order for the new clock since I thought it was a complete unit. I have no clock therefore I can’t use the new printed circuit board with the new wires.

bunni
04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Now that's sweet - spendy little things though.

Yeah, quite overpriced indeed. The smaller ones you can get for $10-$15 each in small quantities I think.

thirdmanj
04-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi,

Maurice

Yeeeeash..... We a poor country man, didn't you hear we got a national credit down-grade?

sphiend
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Hi,

Maurice

Wow. Too rich for my blood. I liked he idea of replacing my working clock with one that would keep the time even when I use battery cut-off switch. Sadly, I think I will pass for now. Glad to see there is an option though!

thirdmanj
04-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Check it yo!

http://img.tapatalk.com/46a04793-e87b-0dee.jpg

ccurzio
04-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Wow. Too rich for my blood.

Yep. OP finally got back to me via PM and sent me the price, and this was my exact reaction. No longer interested.

It's very much a REALLY nice clock upgrade, but not $260 nice. Sorry, but for that price I'll continue dealing with my broken clock.

jawn101
04-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I think we might need to fall back on our aforementioned "well known forum member" to make this a more attainable reality for us.

Besides - knowing him, if we task him with building a clock maybe we really will end up with time machines. :)

Also, Matt K seems to be a master of materials science, maybe he can make new cases!

ccurzio
04-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Actually, a friend of mine has some bench experience with electronics and we're going to explore what it would take to duplicate this same effort. He looked at this and said it shouldn't be too difficult at all.

He's saying we should be able to mass-produce them on a limited basis, so maybe we'll be able to offer a locally-produced version sometime soon. No promises.

Bruce Johnson
04-26-2012, 11:33 PM
You guys should check out Ozzie's blog. Maybe he could chime in with the link. I have one of the clocks from Dakota Digital and love it!

Bruce 1420

ccurzio
04-27-2012, 12:35 AM
You guys should check out Ozzie's blog. Maybe he could chime in with the link. I have one of the clocks from Dakota Digital and love it!

Bruce 1420

Saw that post a long time ago. It's a nice option but it doesn't exactly match the form factor of the original clock. (The buttons don't function, and must be located elsewhere.)

bunni
04-27-2012, 02:16 AM
DeLoreanVIN,

You may want to consider seeing how many people would actually be interested and rethinking the price point. If you get enough interested you could do a larger batch thats more cost effective.

john 05141
04-27-2012, 05:27 AM
I agree it was not cheap, but I use a batery switch all the time. This means the time on the clock was always wrong and this bothered me all the time. I had everything in white / blue even the radio, so my color issue was solved and the time setting too.
I was a bit worried at first about the green glass and the blue LED's it would give a strange color mix, but the LED's a very bright and that is not an issue at all. In my blue version it is a bit brighter than the original one and I like it that way. Dimming when light switch is on also works.

It is in the line of sight when driving, so I tought it was worth it. No idea if it is my size (I'm tall) but I have to lean forward to read the clock. But that was also with the original one.
John

Bitsyncmaster
04-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Let me give you a ball park of cost to get a product out the door.

Hardware design prototype. Maybe $200 getting parts and finding you need other parts. 100 hours of getting the prototype wired and debugged.

PCB layout. 100 hours minimum. Lots of components will need you to make your own footprints. Buying 100 boards will cost about $600

Stocking parts. Quantities of 100 to get any good price breaks. This would cost you about $2000 up front.

Hand soldering each board. Mostly 2 or 3 hours. You can get a board house to assemble the boards but the cost is prohibitive until you get into many hundreds of units.

Tillsy
04-27-2012, 08:37 AM
This guy has an alternative approach...

Soundkillr
04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Ok, ill let you guys in on my tip. A clock pcb from a mid 90's accord can be made to fit. The case can be either modified so the pcb fits in the original delorean case (the cut case isnt seen when installed) or you can mod the pcb to fit in the case if you know electronics. The display is the same color and layout as factory for the most part. The clocks run 10-20 bux on ebay. Only draw back is you have to disconect and reconnect battery at 1 oclock to set the clock. You can make the clock adjustments work with time and effort, but for 20 bux who cares?

stevedmc
04-27-2012, 11:07 AM
You guys are silly. For about a hundred dollars you can go down to walmart and buy a nice radio that plays cds, hooks up to an iPod, and even has a clock. I've got a Sony CDX something another and its nice and tells time.

DMCMW Dave
04-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Good to hear from someone who understands that something like this is more involved than magically soldering together $40 worth of parts that don't just invent themselves.

ccurzio
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Good to hear from someone who understands that something like this is more involved than magically soldering together $40 worth of parts that don't just invent themselves.

I don't think anyone here is underestimating the effort as much as making the argument that $260 is overestimating that effort.

Farrar
04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
I agree it was not cheap, but I use a batery switch all the time.

In the U.S. a small device is available to fix this problem: it uses a 9v battery in an adapter which plugs into your cigarette lighter socket, providing enough current for your clock and radio to keep their settings while main vehicle battery is disconnected.

bunni
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM

Hardware design prototype. Maybe $200 getting parts and finding you need other parts. 100 hours of getting the prototype wired and debugged.

PCB layout. 100 hours minimum. Lots of components will need you to make your own footprints. Buying 100 boards will cost about $600

Stocking parts. Quantities of 100 to get any good price breaks. This would cost you about $2000 up front.

Hand soldering each board. Mostly 2 or 3 hours. You can get a board house to assemble the boards but the cost is prohibitive until you get into many hundreds of units.

Where do you get your PCBs that they are so expensive for such a small size?!

DMCMW Dave
04-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't think anyone here is underestimating the effort as much as making the argument that $260 is overestimating that effort.

There's effort and there's value. I don't think that his price is out of line given the effort, but I also don't see much a market for a $200+ car clock. Which is probably why you don't see any.
-----------
side comment:
This issue, coincidentally, is why you don't see anyone making electronic speedometer replacements for angle drives yet. It won't happen for anywhere near the price of an angle drive, or even a couple of them. It will take someone (Hi Jim) to do all the development work for free.

My initial point is that everyone here seems to look at the material cost only. People who do this sort of thing either have to do it because they want to and don't mind letting everyone else get the benefit of their work for free. Or this stuff gets expensive.

Ozzie
04-27-2012, 01:09 PM
For what this person is offering, which is a direct replacement to the guts of your 30+ year old failed or about to fail 1970's technology digital clock, I think the price is reasonable. It even maintains the original button settings configuration. ..I am impressed: Very well done!

If I would have had that option years ago, I would have jumped on it because I wanted to replace my non-functioning clock on the dash, with something just like the OEM one, because it fits the style and age of the car (digital clocks in early 80s car was like futuristic tech - lol). Functionality was not my driver because, well, I wear a wristwatch (sometimes), or an after-market radio could provide the time, or there are numerous other non-OEM looking solutions.

So I researched for a while, toyed with fabricating (yeah right, too much upfront investment), and finally found and settled on a very close alternative, from a domestic vendor (Dakota Digital) which offered a retrofit option. This is the link. (http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/03/delorean-clock-modern-update.html). The clock has been on the car for years now, very reliable solution, clean installation (more below on that), in fact I use to say that you would have to be a concourse judge, with good reading glasses, to really note the difference between this and OEM (more on that below, as well).

..anyway, yes this is the same clock alternative that Bruce mentions below.

(Note: I have not made, do not make, any monetary or otherwise profit by recommending them.)

To address this comment:

Saw that post a long time ago. It's a nice option but it doesn't exactly match the form factor of the original clock. (The buttons don't function, and must be located elsewhere.)
I would say the form and fit, matches very good, and that the function exceeds the OEM, because it is a modern replacement. The post is correct, that the feature of the buttons is not on the dial as the OEM, and needs to be (easily) routed elsewhere, again, details are in the link.

Also, I got to drive another owner's D one time, and they had a semi-working clock (display was on, but he said it would reset itself often). It was the first time I had seen the OEM one operational, from the driver's seat. That was an interesting perspective because I noticed that the OEM clock has a horizontal shade out on the display, that at my seating height actually cut off the visibility to the lower 1/3 of the clock face! Well that was dumb, it almost rendered the clock useless as you had to bend forward to be able to see the full displayed time (lol). In retrospect the Dakota Digital option offers full face visibility from the same perspective.

So yeah, seems like the initial responses came down a little hard on this near OEM version, but you know what?
a) There should be plenty of non functioning clock cases out in garages of current and ex-owners, which you could plug this into.
b) You should only buy this, if you want it for the look, otherwise yes there are much other cheaper solutions out there.
c) Last time that I checked, DMC had shifter plates with with openings for clocks, which means you could either adapt this offering or the Dakota alternative, to put a clock on your higher VIN D. (I believe that approximately the VINs greater than the 4000s, stopped having the clock option)
c)This is a close as you'll ever get to a fooling a concours judge that it is an OEM clock.

mluder
04-27-2012, 01:15 PM
There's effort and there's value. I don't think that his price is out of line given the effort, but I also don't see much a market for a $200+ car clock. Which is probably why you don't see any.
-----------

My initial point is that everyone here seems to look at the material cost only. People who do this sort of thing either have to do it because they want to and don't mind letting everyone else get the benefit of their work for free. Or this stuff gets expensive.

As a tinkerer and hobiest, I would probably only spend time on something like this for the benefit of myself because I'm not looking to start a business. That being said, in the spirit of community, I would willingly donate my research for the benefit of everyone. After all, I undertook the venture to satisfy my own need but once the work is done, why not share it with the world and write off the back cost of r&d. Then make the offer to produce more for anyone interrested with the understanding that they would be hand built so you'll have to be willing to wait for my schedule to allow it and pay for parts and a modest fee for time involved.

When the Toby TABS came out, they were expensive but all things considered were not proportionally as expensive as a $260 clock. Considering the amount of time that Toby put into the engineering, securing the manufacturer and exotic materials, they were considerably less.

I guess I'm just saying, if he can justify the price and get people to give him the money then good for him. If he's intentionally taking advantage of demand and jacking up the price accordingly, that too bad. Perhaps a little competition might be necessary. We all rail against the guy out there with the driver's side front fender that he wants $6000 for (exageration I know but you get the point) because he's trying to get rich off the community that he's a part of.

Maybe we should be supporting each other and our crazy obsession with this car rather than trying to make a buck off of each other.

OK... I went on for long enough. At the end of the day, a pat on the back is deserved by DeLoreanVIN for coming up with something that should have been undertaken long ago.

Cheers.
Steven

bunni
04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
OK... I went on for long enough. At the end of the day, a pat on the back is deserved by DeLoreanVIN for coming up with something that should have been undertaken long ago.

I agree, it looks beautiful. I would like to see DeLoreanVIN rally more interest in it. See if DMCH or anyone else would be interested in larger quantity buys, I think they would really sell but the current price point is too rich for a few people.

I will stop causing trouble in this thread, I just find this all a little absurd in a few different ways.

Bitsyncmaster
04-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Where do you get your PCBs that they are so expensive for such a small size?!

If you can get them cheaper elsewhere, Let me know your vendor. Sure if you buy a 1000 or more the price goes down.

DeLoreanVIN
04-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Hi,

i see that the price has raised some discussion.
The choice i had to make is between manual small scale production which costs me time primarily, or factory production which costs me a big investment in money and has a bigger financial risk. For now i have chosen for the first option. As much as I enjoy making them, I charge a part of my production time in addition to the component costs. To give an impression: the design consists of over 60 components of which some (e.g. push buttons) are handmade. There are also many hours in the hardware and software designs. Per shipped clock testing and calibration has to be carried out.

Keep in mind that this clock has been designed specifically for DeLorean.

Best regards,
Maurice

r00b
04-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I like my car to look as original as possible, I'll be getting one of these to replace my not working clock. You could also sell these to some Esprit owners.

Ozzie
06-06-2012, 07:34 PM
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10849&d=1339025415

Great Scott!

That is a picture of my DeLorean OEM clock case, now with a modern functional digital 80's style clock on the inside! This is a great new product, to get back the OEM look for our cars. I'll be discussing and showing it during my presentation at DCS (Sat 6/16/2012, 11am). and reviewing it full (with more pictures) on my blog soon.

Summary: Yet another very well made, good looking, modern replacement product for our cars.

EDIT:
PS At the presentation, I will also show side by side the other modern clock alternative, the Dakota Clock Option. I did a full review of that one here (http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/03/delorean-clock-modern-update.html). Each of these two options has its own pros and cons, but this new clock option has a very (very) short list of "cons".

DeloreanJoshQ
06-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Can't wait to see it and meet you! I have done all of the LED upgrades in your article except for the turn signals and bulbs in the tail lights. I am saving up for high power SMT Eagle Eye 5s....

Ozzie
06-18-2012, 11:01 PM
OK, as promised, here is a link with plenty of pictures, to the review of this new clock: "DMC-12's Clock: It's Alive!" (http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2012/06/dmc-12s-digital-clock-its-alive.html)

I also showed it powered up at my LED presentation, this past weekend at DCS 2012 in Orlando, and overall got very good feedback on it.

Bitsyncmaster
06-19-2012, 05:20 AM
OK, as promised, here is a link with plenty of pictures, to the review of this new clock: "DMC-12's Clock: It's Alive!" (http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2012/06/dmc-12s-digital-clock-its-alive.html)

I also showed it powered up at my LED presentation, this past weekend at DCS 2012 in Orlando, and overall got very good feedback on it.

As you always do, great write up. The old display is a vacuum fluorescent technology.

dvonk
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
thanks for that, Ozzie, very informative. the new clock looks great!

Bitsyncmaster
07-27-2013, 08:13 AM
I just installed this new clock and I must say;

Very professional design. Well thought out and documented.
Packaging for shipping is also very professional.
Instructions very clear.

This clock is a microprocessor design with a rechargeable battery that keeps the time even with no power (battery turned off). Get this, when I turned on my key to see if it worked, it displayed the correct east coast time to the second. I have a WWV synchronized clock which is how I could verify the time.

This clock uses your original case and lens. You get the PCB, new connector (clock end) and new push button rods. Replacing my OEM unit took about 1 hour.

[email protected]

note: I bought this because my center console with all LED lighting is so bright and crisp. My original clock did work so if anyone is looking for a working OEM clock, PM me. My OEM clock also has my low power mod build into the wires.

DeLorean03
07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Very cool writeup props to Ozzie. I always enjoy you, Jon's, and Alex's writeups :thumbup: !!

This is a beautiful design - well done and very clean. Lots of "ooooooooo. ahhhh's!!!" from me as I read this thread.

In contrast, as others may know, I went with flux3d's alternative design for three reasons:

1. Price was more than half of this ($109).
2. I like the big digits on the display.
3. The crucial one: I could throw away my old casing. Mine was broken and missing one of the mounting holes for the 7mm hex nuts that hold the clock in place. Flux3d's clockface is a massive piece of acrylic plexiglass (I believe) in a rectangular shape - so goodbye old clock housing.

I will say though, Maurice has made an absolutely beautiful clock that keeps the car with stock components and appearance - well done to him.

Given that he has utilized today's technology to retrofit with old technology and that it does service a niche market of DeLorean and Lotus owners, the price is what it is. I'm not saying I think the price is spot-on perfect, as I bought the alternative option from Mark, but I am saying that having the OEM look with today's technology comes at a price.

Well done to both R&D guys. Thank you Maurice and Mark for providing us options!! And thank you Ozzie for the Dakota Dash alternative!

jawn101
07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm really, really looking forward to seeing the version of this with the more stock number sizes. Especially with an endorsement like Dave M's above, that's huge! Nice work!!!

My OEM clock must be one of the few out there that still works and looks perfectly, but I'm always *thrilled* to read about a modern replacement for an NLA part, no matter what it is.

DeLoreanVIN
07-31-2013, 05:14 PM
@Bitsyncmaster: Thanks for your review. It's good to know my work is appreciated. Enjoy your clock!

@DeLorean03: Thank you for your compliment. The goal of my clock design is to be as original as possible, also regarding your second point.

Several people have contacted me and asked if i still make this clock, the answer is yes.
I make sure i always have a number of clocks in both colors calibrated and ready for delivery.

john 05141
08-19-2013, 05:47 AM
I got Maurice's clock for over 2 years now and it is still ticking!!!!

I do not drive that often, and when not driving the battery key is switched of, and it still gives the exact time as I turn the ignition on. It is actually thrustworthy now as with the old clock I never bothered to set the time.
Jan

Bitsyncmaster
08-19-2013, 06:09 AM
By the way, A NOS new clock just showed up on EBay at a starting price of $595.

Tillsy
08-19-2013, 09:00 AM
By the way, A NOS new clock just showed up on EBay at a starting price of $595.

Frack!!!

Bitsyncmaster
11-26-2020, 08:05 PM
The battery is a VARTA ML 1220.

It is a 3 volt rechargeable manganese lithium coin battery that is soldered onto the PCB. I had to pull it off and break away the welded tab to see the part number.

I ordered some Panasonic ML 1220/F1AN batteries and I hope the solder tabs will let me use those for replacement.

Bob635
11-27-2020, 08:12 PM
Great work. Love seeing new products for the Delorean.

at88mph
11-29-2020, 12:11 AM
Just curious, does anyone have or know of a source for the green cover? My stock clock STILL works fine (knock on wood) but my green cover got broken YEARS ago.

dmcnc
11-29-2020, 07:34 AM
Just curious, does anyone have or know of a source for the green cover? My stock clock STILL works fine (knock on wood) but my green cover got broken YEARS ago.

Manuel B. (username Yoda (http://dmctalk.org/member.php?86871-Yoda)) sells the 3d printed cases he uses for his clock. The cases (to include the green cover) work on original clocks as well.

rgehrig
12-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Are these still available?
I definitely want one.

MrChocky
12-08-2022, 10:37 AM
I definitely want one.

Yes. Best to PM Yoda directly.

Rich
12-08-2022, 06:28 PM
I definitely want one.

Probably still available. And, yes, this kit is very nice. Plug and play. Top quality with upgrades vs a NOS part (accurate timekeeping + internal backup battery).

You may want to track on over to this other thread (https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14994) about this item in the Parts for Sale department since the Yoda clock isn't a mod. It's really a replacement part.

(VFD clock = vacuum fluorescent display clock)

See post #94 there, among others, for details.

As noted send a PM to Yoda - he doesn't monitor this forum very often. He'll quote you pricing as well as USA shipping options and payment details if he still has some stock.

Pay attention to how to remove the old clock's wire pin connectors from the old clock's plug so you can insert the new clock's wire pins directly into old plug. Printed directions are included.

Mods, maybe a reason to combine these threads somehow?

rgehrig
12-09-2022, 10:33 PM
Rich
I have PM'd Yoda.
I hope it is still available.

DeLoreanVIN
12-21-2022, 03:22 PM
The replacement clock printed circuit board (PCB) for DeLorean is available as usual.

Some of the main features include:
* Replaces PCB of original clock without permanent modifications.
* Zero power consumption when ignition switch is off (long life rechargable battery built in).
* Remains on time without external power source, car battery can be switched off.
* 12 (original) or 24 hour display formats.
* Display brightness is dimmed when parking/side lights or head/side lights are on as in original clock.
* Setting time is identical to original clock.

Please contact me for more information.
For orders, please send me a PM.

Maurice

r00b
12-28-2022, 02:01 AM
I got one of these clocks 5 years ago, I loved it. This year it stopped working. Can it be sent in for repair?

DeLoreanVIN
12-31-2022, 07:19 AM
Dear r00b,

Unfortunately your clock has a problem. I would like to research it.
Please send me a PM with your e-mail address. We will find a solution.

DeLoreanVIN
01-15-2023, 11:56 AM
I got one of these clocks 5 years ago, I loved it. This year it stopped working. Can it be sent in for repair?

If you or anyone have any questions about the clock model that i have designed and manufactured, please send me a PM.
See in the first post of the topic the two photos of how my clocks look, they are marked with "MB Design": https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3...eLorean-DMC-12

As in your case: I cannot repair other clocks than the ones i manufacture. Hopefully you can contact the manufacturer and get it repaired.
Of course i can help you with a new one;-)

Please use this topic only for "MB Design" clock module DMC-12.