PDA

View Full Version : General Keep or sell original parts?

Witchboard
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm going to start modifying/upgrading areas of my car. I do not plan on selling my car in the future. Question is, would you suggest I keep the original parts, or sell them to help offset the cost of the mods?

opethmike
04-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow, you're going to get a very mixed bag of opinions here. When I did my engine and fueling upgrades, I sold my parts to off set the cost.

opethmike
04-26-2012, 12:51 PM
And I meant to hit the sell button, not the keep.

stevedmc
04-26-2012, 01:01 PM
I traded my K-Jet parts for a low mileage engine. I guess that would count as a sell, but of course I do like turtles.

Witchboard
05-04-2012, 12:26 PM
What about parts that are pretty much worthless? I don't think anybody is going to want an original leaking radiator or door lock module. Do you guys just turn it in for aluminum scrap or what? I don't want to toss anything if it will be worth something to somebody, but I also don't want a pile of garbage in my garage.

EarlHickey
05-04-2012, 01:40 PM
What about parts that are pretty much worthless? I don't think anybody is going to want an original leaking radiator or door lock module. Do you guys just turn it in for aluminum scrap or what? I don't want to toss anything if it will be worth something to somebody, but I also don't want a pile of garbage in my garage.

Earlier today I posted asking if anyone had a dead filter for an automatic transmission.

It would seem they are not available for anything like reasonable money and I just may like to whip out a small production run of excellent filters.

Yeah, I'd want a leaking radiator, dead lock module or most anything for these I can obtain and have room to properly store.

mluder
05-04-2012, 03:40 PM
As my car is mostly original, I hang on to alot of what I replace because most aftermarket parts are not the same and who knows what someone might come up with a repair for later.

I especially keep parts that don't exist anymore. For example while my clock works if it broke I might replace it with a crossover part but I would still keep the broken original.

I kept my bent TABs for pure nostalgia and show an tell.

If there are OEM parts available I might throw the originals away.

Cheers,
Steve

Witchboard
05-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Earlier today I posted asking if anyone had a dead filter for an automatic transmission.

It would seem they are not available for anything like reasonable money and I just may like to whip out a small production run of excellent filters.

Yeah, I'd want a leaking radiator, dead lock module or most anything for these I can obtain and have room to properly store.

I'll keep you in mind as I start replacing stuff. ^_^

adam_knox
05-04-2012, 07:22 PM
As the owner of a 64 year old car I would recommend keeping whatever parts you can. Obviously if there's a market to sell a part and you want to offset the cost, then by all means sell it. I would just hesitate to "scrap" something. Who knows in 30 years what advancements have made certain technologies obsolete. Imagine if electric motors take off, radiators won't be all that common anymore. :yoda: