PDA

View Full Version : For Sale 1981 DMC - 41k mi, all new interior, great condition

wtflux
04-27-2012, 01:55 AM
Hey guys, please see the link to my ad for my DMC

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2981825423.html

Dangermouse
04-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Great looking car.

10/10 for the tag

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/bimmo12/DSC01338.jpg

But what is this in the trunk? (it's nicely done, whatever it is) :)

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x384/bimmo12/DSC01353.jpg

opethmike
04-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I checked the ad; its for a subwoofer.

Nicholas R
04-27-2012, 10:59 AM
A subwoofer in the front?? :confused0:

Shep
04-28-2012, 11:29 AM
A subwoofer in the front?? :confused0:Normally they're in the trunk behind the rear seats, but that's were the engine is. The large open space drastically affects performance, so the front makes the most sense here. This actually makes more sense as the doppler effect would mean you get more bass. Doesn't seem out of place to me.

wtflux
04-30-2012, 03:22 PM
And the tech that did the install was super excited about the project because he said that's the optimal place for bass, front and center. He actually drilled a port directly from the sub to the cabin for better sound . . . I know it's not for everyone but at least it was done with the highest of quality in mind.

wtflux
04-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Curious as to people's thoughts on my asking price . . . Am I way off base? I bought the car 2 years ago (in pretty rough condition) for $12,500 and have put about $14,500 into it to bring it to it's current condition. Just want to get it to a good, DMC-loving home and not take a total bath on it . . . open to thoughts and suggestions though for sure!

Thanks!

LEVY
04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Nice car!

Price seems reasonable to me, but the market is low at this time.

Good luck!

LEVY

Curious as to people's thoughts on my asking price . . . Am I way off base? I bought the car 2 years ago (in pretty rough condition) for $12,500 and have put about $14,500 into it to bring it to it's current condition. Just want to get it to a good, DMC-loving home and not take a total bath on it . . . open to thoughts and suggestions though for sure!

Thanks!

Shep
04-30-2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks!Considering the condition and upgrades of your D, I'd have to agree with LEVY: it's a reasonable price. I just bought one myself, but if I didn't, really the only thing that would've ruled this out is that it's over budget for me. The fact that it comes with a subwoofer that flows into the cabin (which you might want to make a little clearer in your ad -- I didn't realize there was a hole in the front firewall for it), plus the suspension upgrade, new battery, and honesty with the dents and dings is definitely a bonus in my mind.

Just a thought: if you have the original radio, you might want to include it with the purchase and take pictures. Even if it's broken, there's places that can repair it, and some owners prefer the stock radio over an aftermarket one, or even just the peace of mind that they can revert it to stock if they decide to sell at some point for one reason or another. If you have the original speakers, and they're not busted, that wouldn't hurt either. It might not make a difference, but are you really going to use 30-year old 4x10's anywhere? Might as well give them to the new owner as a bonus.

For what it's worth, I doubt many potential buyers past their 20's are going to care about subwoofers, or even know what they are, but labeling it in the picture would sure help some of the confusion with the enclosure. If I didn't know squat about audio, I'd probably be wondering what that giant box in the front is with the screws holding the lid on, and why a luggage container in the trunk didn't have wheels or a zip-up top :tongue:

DMCMW Dave
04-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Price seems reasonable to me as well, but the kicked in RR quarter is going to be a showstopper for many. That's one of those things that can turn buyers of out of proportion to the repair cost.

Shep
04-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Price seems reasonable to me as well, but the kicked in RR quarter is going to be a showstopper for many. That's one of those things that can turn buyers of out of proportion to the repair cost.Maybe I'm just blind, but I couldn't find where the dent was until I read "kicked in". Now I see both the dent and the disconnected trim piece at the bottom of the panel. Not sure how many of us with untrained eyes would miss that kind of thing, but that's a pretty nasty dent to sell a D with. Might want to fix that if you still don't get any takers.

Dangermouse
04-30-2012, 08:26 PM
For what it's worth, I doubt many potential buyers past their 20's are going to care about subwoofers, or even know what they are, but labeling it in the picture would sure help some of the confusion with the enclosure. If I didn't know squat about audio, I'd probably be wondering what that giant box in the front is with the screws holding the lid on, and why a luggage container in the trunk didn't have wheels or a zip-up top :tongue:

Let me see if I can see the keys of this new-tangled typewriter over my bi-focals and give another perspective.

Yes, I am over twenty. Yes, I know what a subwoofer is and yes I would want one in my car (going deaf on my advanced years, don't you know).

However I have seen a great many pictures of DeLoreans and almost without exception, those fitted with a subwoofer have it either on the back shelf or more usually in the cubby behind the drivers seat. Never have seen one in the trunk and therefore didn't expect one. I say "almost" as this car is the exception.

So I would agree with you that a label would be good , though if I had read the ad properly I would have seen it. (better yet would be a description of the audio upgrades for those that want the specs)

Shep
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Let me see if I can see the keys of this new-tangled typewriter over my bi-focals and give another perspective.

Yes, I am over twenty. Yes, I know what a subwoofer is and yes I would want one in my car (going deaf on my advanced years, don't you know).

However I have seen a great many pictures of DeLoreans and almost without exception, those fitted with a subwoofer have it either on the back shelf or more usually in the cubby behind the drivers seat. Never have seen one in the trunk and therefore didn't expect one. I say "almost" as this car is the exception.

So I would agree with you that a label would be good , though if I had read the ad properly I would have seen it. (better yet would be a description of the audio upgrades for those that want the specs)Same here. It's the first one I've seen with it there, but with the number of street racing Civics I've seen recently while upgrading mine, the thought was fresh in my head.

"20's" was a typo by the way. I meant "30's" but typed a wee bit fast, and as I'm nearsighted and stubborn about wearing my glasses, it looks the same to me. Still does, actually, which is why I rely on spell check so much. Had to get three inches away just now to make sure I typed that last bit right. My apologies, I'll try to spell out numbers from here out so it gets picked up by spell check and I don't make a fool of myself again. Regardless, the word "many" was key there: audiophiles such as myself are a minority, and usually it's us that want the subs in the first place. I'll bet if I polled random individuals past young adulthood, 90% wouldn't know what a subwoofer was and only 5% would want one anyways. That's what I was getting at. Sorry for derailing the thread with that.

Anyways, back to the DeLorean...

dvonk
04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
...I have seen a great many pictures of DeLoreans and almost without exception, those fitted with a subwoofer have it either on the back shelf or more usually in the cubby behind the drivers seat. Never have seen one in the trunk and therefore didn't expect one.

Same here. It's the first one I've seen with it there

check this one out; VIN 04329... custom audio package (supposedly all easily-removable to stock). it was for sale here in omaha a while back, but the seller didnt bother responding when i asked to just look at it. its probably not local anymore... but anyway, it looks like it not only has subwoofers on the parcel shelf, but also mid-range speakers in the luggage compartment with the amps:

10009 10008

wtflux
05-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Sale pending

dmc3130
05-22-2012, 11:42 PM
check this one out; VIN 04329... custom audio package (supposedly all easily-removable to stock). it was for sale here in omaha a while back, but the seller didnt bother responding when i asked to just look at it. its probably not local anymore... but anyway, it looks like it not only has subwoofers on the parcel shelf, but also mid-range speakers in the luggage compartment with the amps:

10009 10008

That's the dumdest thing that I think I've seen for placement of mid to high range speakers. Unless you wanted to have the front open while your driving down the road (make seeing out the windshield a little hard)

SIMid
05-23-2012, 01:33 AM
That's the dumdest thing that I think I've seen for placement of mid to high range speakers. Unless you wanted to have the front open while your driving down the road (make seeing out the windshield a little hard)

Probably sound off competitions at car shows. I still don't understand this type of hobby. I marvel at the workmanship in wiring everything up and manufacturing the mounting boxes for the multiple speakers and screens, but just looks daft in some designs.

Back to topic: Hope the sale goes through. :)

dvonk
05-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Probably sound off competitions at car shows. I still don't understand this type of hobby.

+1, i assume they are only for use when parked. not my style.