PDA

View Full Version : How To: 5-speed linkage and crossgate adjustment (video)

DCUK Martin
04-28-2012, 11:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6-l2fhPXw&feature=youtu.be

Jeffu
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Martin, well done!! Great information, thanks!! :bigclap:

Bitsyncmaster
04-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Job well done. That's how I adjust it with the shift boot off so I can see the optimal setting.

You will get the most movement if that pivot arm (under the car) is at 90 degrees when in neutral. It should not change from the factory setting but it's something you can adjust by adjusting the push rod length.

Also any linkage slop will reduce the cross gate movement.

vwdmc16
04-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Awesome video!

DCUK Martin
04-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Also any linkage slop will reduce the cross gate movement.

Can you clarify what you mean here?

Bitsyncmaster
04-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Can you clarify what you mean here?

If you have any worn push rod ends or even the link bolt (one that fails) can wear the bearing. That would give you less total cross gate movement. I machined a new bearing and bolt for my car.

DCUK Martin
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Crossgate and selector are wholly independent though, as my video hopefully makes clear

Bitsyncmaster
04-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Crossgate and selector are wholly independent though, as my video hopefully makes clear

Your right. I just recalled machining the new bolt but that was not for the cross gate operation.:mallet:

DCUK Martin
04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I only found out recently that those things are called "shoulder bolts. Quite surprised how common they are in industry.

Bitsyncmaster
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
I only found out recently that those things are called "shoulder bolts. Quite surprised how common they are in industry.

There was somthing with that shoulder bolt I did not like. I think it was the washer under the bolt would not seat correctly since the threads were so undercut.

orbitron3000
07-20-2012, 12:57 PM
What are the wrench sizes used to adjust these nuts? I've tried all the metric sizes up to 23mm (to no avail :bawling:), and I'd rather not spend a small fortune on a bunch of inch wrenches to get the right size to adjust the cable.

DCUK Martin
07-22-2012, 01:36 PM
24mm or at a pinch you could use a plumber's wrench or a large adjustable. You don't need to get a lot of torque on there.

orbitron3000
07-23-2012, 02:09 AM
I'll give that a shot. Thanks, Martin.

FLYBOY
04-01-2021, 04:09 PM
Martin, I’ve got an issue with 3rd and 4th not getting into gear.
I Test drove to verify and new bushings put in last year.
But seems like a lot slop in 1st moves into the slot 3rd should be in
Same as 2nd to 4th but always in 1st and 2nd.
BTW Reverse and 5th work just fine just no 3rd or 4th
Tried adjusting cross gate to no avail?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DCUK Martin
04-01-2021, 05:09 PM
If you can get reverse and 5th, and 1st is where you expect, then it doesn't sound like an adjustment issue. In neutral the stick should rest between 3 and 4. If it isn't, and the stick is stiff, you should replace the crossgate cable with one from DMCH. Otherwise it sounds like an internal problem.

DMCMW Dave
04-01-2021, 07:10 PM
BTW the crossgate adjustment is VERY fine. Turn the two adjusting nuts about a quarter to a half turn at a time or it's really easy to overshoot the adjustment.

DCUK Martin
04-02-2021, 08:53 AM
Turn the two adjusting nuts about a quarter to a half turn at a time or it's really easy to overshoot the adjustment.

He gets 5th and reverse though?

Bitsyncmaster
04-02-2021, 09:10 AM
He gets 5th and reverse though?

I wonder how he knows he get in 5th. Of course reverse is easy to check.

DCUK Martin
04-02-2021, 09:25 AM
I wonder how he knows he get in 5th.

There's nothing behind it.

Nick774
07-23-2021, 05:34 PM
Hello Martin and Dave. So I've been in a pickle with my adjustments for a few weeks now. I have every gear but 5th. All my hardware such as bushings, pivot bolt, push rods, and end links are all new as of this year. The only item not replaced was the crossgate cable itself. I am a mechanic by trade and I understand the adjustment margin is very fine. I have studied your video atleast 40 times and read what others have done however no matter what I do i can not get 5. If make even the slightest adjustment toward 5th I instantly lose reverse and can barely gain 1st or second unless I lift the shifter before pushing into gear. I'm aware of the small clevis adjustment possible at the end of the cable and know the ideally the shifter should rest perfectly center. I have been doing nothing but fine adjustments at the jam nuts and its conclusive that even a minimal turn on them i lose reverse and 5th all together. I'm ready to order a new cable just to eliminate all remaining old parts. Any other recommendations from you guys, I apologize if im leaving out any other details.

DCUK Martin
07-23-2021, 06:45 PM
no matter what I do i can not get 5.

If you can't get 5th even with the crossage adjusted too far to the left (where you can't get reverse)? What exactly is the failure? The stick moves but there's no gear to find, or the stick won't move forward? Does it freely move to the right past 3/4? I reassembled the gearbox on my friend Dan's project car recently and was stunned to find the selector fork gates didn't line up and I had to file away a section of the brass slider on 5th otherwise you had to do this weird forward jiggle just to get it to notch in. Clearly a Friday afternoon gearbox...

Nick774
07-24-2021, 05:22 PM
When the rear wheels are off the ground and I lay underneath the car I have somebody in the driver seat shifting through the gears and I can see the linkages moving appropriately into 5th as well as all other gears. When its back on the ground and in motion it will not reach into 5th. The shifter will only go into 3rd when pushed hard to the right. I even tried lifting up on the shifter before pushing toward 5th and still nothing. I dont understand how with the wheels in the air it makes a difference on the selector gate. I know when under load things can be affected however this is just strange. My margin for adjustment is so fine that I either lose reverse and 5th or as I stand right now have all but 5th. I've checked everything under center console and all bushings and hardware are new. Ive checked for any slop in the linkages and bracket but everything is correct. Im just convinced maybe my cable is stretched beyond propper adjustment being the original motor had nearly 400k miles on it.

Bitsyncmaster
07-24-2021, 05:29 PM
It's probably something sloppy in the transmission. You may be able to increase the throw by modifying the location where it connects on the tranny shorter or where it connects on the shifter longer to get a little more throw.

Nick774
07-25-2021, 02:18 AM
Thank you guys im still tinkering with it now. Ill look into that next Dave. I can push the shifter forward with ease but theres no gear to find in the top right where 5th should be even if I lift up before throwingbit forward. It just falls back into 3rd.

DCUK Martin
07-25-2021, 06:41 AM
My margin for adjustment is so fine that I either lose reverse and 5th or as I stand right now have all but 5th.

5th is the only gear that requires you to push on the cable. Check the retaining nut at the shifter end is tight. Interestingly it's not shown in the parts diagram. Here's a still from one of my other videos, ignore the shifter, it's an auto-manual conversion.