PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Non starter/shell

mr2nut123
05-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi guys,

Firstly, great forums you have going here. I have been a huge fan of the delorean, as with most classic 80s/90s sports cars. I currently have a highly modified 93 MR2 that I have owned for the last 8 years, but was thinking of going down the delorean route. I have come to realise very quickly that I cannot afford an immaculate car, so i'm looking to possibly find somebody that has one with a respectable shell but perhaps with complete mechanical failure.

I have a close friend who has done all sorts of engine transplants, and he knows of someone who has put a 3S-GTE engine from the MR2 into a delorean before with some fabrication work. This was done mainly for reliability as the 3S-GE/3S-GTE is bullet proof in standard form, as well as being very cost effective. I have respected and read the threads from Mike towards the top of this board before posting, and I have every reason to believe it would be a success and would quite happily post our findings here for all to see. Hopefully it would prove useful.

If somone would be willing to strip everything and supply me a shell to the UK, feel free to drop me a pm in confidence.

I look forward to contributing to the board going forward! It's great to see these cars still going.

Dangermouse
05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
An MR2 engine in a DeLorean would be a first - we'd all be interested in info on that. There is one in FL with a Supra engine - perhaps your friend was mistaken.

What you are looking for is really a rolling frame with tub (not a shell per-se). Good luck

mr2nut123
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
An MR2 engine in a DeLorean would be a first - we'd all be interested in info on that. There is one in FL with a Supra engine - perhaps your friend was mistaken.

What you are looking for is really a rolling frame with tub (not a shell per-se). Good luck

I'm 99% sure it was a GTE and seem to remember 400rwhp which is a bit bonkers in a delorean :-) I'll double check with him, but it was here in the UK and perhaps he isn't a member of the US forums..? :hmm:

Thanks for the correction! Are they quite common, and if so, are they quite cheap? I would imagine it's the all original mint examples that are worth the big money, as with most older sports cars.

Dangermouse
05-01-2012, 12:33 PM
They are not all that common. Occasionally you will see someone selling just the frame, usually where they have upgraded to a stainless or galvanized one.

If you have read Mikes sticky about project cars, I'll just direct you to this one:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3797-Name-that-Carb-Project-car-quiz

Cheapest car we have seen on here in a while, but who knows what condition the frame is in.

I would imagine that the only people who might be willing to strip one down for you might be one of the DMC franchisees, or DPI.

You could try the UK Delorean forums or Martin G (on here and DCUK Martin) - someone there might have a lead for you, and it may be already imported

Edit - nevermind, I see you have tried that avenue already.....

Nicholas R
05-01-2012, 06:06 PM
There is one in FL with a Supra engine - perhaps your friend was mistaken.

That car is now in Cincinnati Ohio.

If I were you, this is the car I'd try to get ahold of: http://nashville.craigslist.org/bar/2985877570.html

Apparently the guy doesn't want much for it. Good project, 5-speed, outside is in ok shape (aside from the paint) but could definitely use some engine help or a swap.

StainlessBullet
05-01-2012, 09:11 PM
If I were you, this is the car I'd try to get ahold of: http://nashville.craigslist.org/bar/2985877570.html

Apparently the guy doesn't want much for it. Good project, 5-speed, outside is in ok shape (aside from the paint) but could definitely use some engine help or a swap.

I called about this car today, it is sold.

Nicholas R
05-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Wow that was fast. I spoke to him yesterday and he said he wanted 6K but would take $4000 if I could get it that day.

David_NYS
05-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Wow that was fast. I spoke to him yesterday and he said he wanted 6K but would take $4000 if I could get it that day.
:wow: Someone definitely has a project on their hands.

mr2nut123
05-02-2012, 04:17 AM
Cheers for all the suggestions guys. Just out of interest, how much do average/respectable deloreans go for, that perhaps need some bodywork attention, but with the mechanical parts in working condition?

With all the great advice I have had over the last few days, i'm considering just going for an all original delorean that will drive ok but will need a bit of TLC with regards to the bodywork as my father has his own bodyshop.

Ron
05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371 (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?371-Please-read-before-posting-“I-want-a-cheap-DeLorean”-or-“Project-Car-Wanted”-threads&p=2886&viewfull=1#post2886)

nullset
05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Cheers for all the suggestions guys. Just out of interest, how much do average/respectable deloreans go for, that perhaps need some bodywork attention, but with the mechanical parts in working condition?

With all the great advice I have had over the last few days, i'm considering just going for an all original delorean that will drive ok but will need a bit of TLC with regards to the bodywork as my father has his own bodyshop.

Working on stainless is vastly different than doing body work on most cars. Please keep that in mind.

--buddy

jawn101
05-02-2012, 11:00 AM

Also from what I've seen, that's a pretty rare beast. Usually the body is pretty nice and the mechanicals are toast. Someone who put the maintenance in to have working mechanicals wouldn't normally have a trashed body without having been in an accident that would just make the car undesirable anyway.

And +1 to what Buddy said above. These cars are not average body shop fodder. You can't just bondo and paint. People who can accomplish even minor ding removal on these panels are rare and highly sought after indeed.