PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Broken door hinge!

ryanjm
06-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Hey all,

Heard a loud BANG when I closed my driver's door today. I was terrified because I thought my torsion bar had snapped (I've snapped a RH torsion bar, so I know the sound). Turns out, though, that it was the hinge. I couldn't believe it! A couple of quick questions before I call DMC in the morning (see photo attached):

1) The torsion bar didn't break, right? That's just a bolt/part of the hinge that snapped?

2) Any estimates to replace this thing? I'm guessing the door will have to be removed and then re-hung?

3) Has this ever happened to anyone before? I've never seen or heard of this in my ~12 years of DeLorean ownership, and I would never have pegged the hinge to snap. Was it rusted out and just gave, maybe?

Thanks for any info/help!

Ryan McCaffrey
SF, CA

painterdave72
06-14-2011, 12:05 PM
to my front drivers hinge.. it was welded in the past at a crack though. i have seen a few other ones break. you dont have to take the door off just support it when u remove the hinge.. not all that hard of a job.. just have to reset the torsion bar and make sure to put the shims back under the new hinge if it has them under the old one.. and mark the position on the door..Dave..

TTait
06-26-2017, 12:47 AM
My left front hinge is cracked too. Looking for a replacement and considering having it welded. Even with the torsion bar out the crack in the hinge stays open, so I think it needs to come out no matter what. Right?

I'm trying to remove it for repair. I have the door well supported and the torsion bar out. I have the mounting nut removed and one of the two hinge mounting bolts, but that front bolt looks nearly impossible to remove. Advice?

Tom

DMCMW Dave
06-26-2017, 05:20 PM
The biggest problem you have is that particular hinge is a little hard to come by. So it won't be particularly cheap, even for a used one.

TTait
06-26-2017, 07:18 PM
One option I have is a friend of mine with a machine shop has offered to make me one out of billet steel, but I don't have a price yet.

This begs the larger question, why isn't someone just reproducing them? I'm guessing it's not economical to create new castings, but milled out of steel, and with a bit more of a gusset to prevent fractures in the future seems pretty straightforward. If all the NOS ones are gone, then it sure seems like there is a deficiency in the design of the originals anyway (at least in a world where people keep their cars more than 10 years).

I know I can get it welded, but if it breaks in the future I risk not only losing the hinge, but damaging the torsion bar as well. It make me want to have one manufactured - but if NOBODY else is doing that, then there must be a strong argument for not making a replacement - is it just cost?

Tom

Drive Stainless
06-26-2017, 09:39 PM
One option I have is a friend of mine with a machine shop has offered to make me one out of billet steel, but I don't have a price yet.

This begs the larger question, why isn't someone just reproducing them? I'm guessing it's not economical to create new castings, but milled out of steel, and with a bit more of a gusset to prevent fractures in the future seems pretty straightforward. If all the NOS ones are gone, then it sure seems like there is a deficiency in the design of the originals anyway (at least in a world where people keep their cars more than 10 years).

I know I can get it welded, but if it breaks in the future I risk not only losing the hinge, but damaging the torsion bar as well. It make me want to have one manufactured - but if NOBODY else is doing that, then there must be a strong argument for not making a replacement - is it just cost?

Tom

I have door hinge components, if you're just looking for a particular piece.

Drive Stainless
06-27-2017, 10:01 AM
Ttait your private message inbox is full. If you send me your email I can send photos.

Drive Stainless
06-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Here's what I have. These were disassembled and blasted years ago. While pressing out the pins, there is a grease sleeve/bushing type insert that became damaged, but would seem to be simple enough to machine from bronze, teflon, etc.

Make an offer for the whole set.

DMCMW Dave
06-27-2017, 11:47 PM
This begs the larger question, why isn't someone just reproducing them?
Tom

They don't break very often. I've had to replace a couple over a 10 year period, and was always able to scrounge up a used one. So it hasn't been worth the effort to deal with having a bunch of them made, and then sitting on them for years. Bad business plan.

BUT over time we're seeing more things go wrong that just didn't used to go bad. Age is catching up to some parts. And, as the values of cars keep going up, parts cars are harder to come by.

Delorean Industries
06-28-2017, 09:05 AM
They don't break very often. I've had to replace a couple over a 10 year period, and was always able to scrounge up a used one. So it hasn't been worth the effort to deal with having a bunch of them made, and then sitting on them for years. Bad business plan.

BUT over time we're seeing more things go wrong that just didn't used to go bad. Age is catching up to some parts. And, as the values of cars keep going up, parts cars are harder to come by.

Sounds like my kinda business plan!

Drive Stainless
07-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Here's what I have. These were disassembled and blasted years ago. While pressing out the pins, there is a grease sleeve/bushing type insert that became damaged, but would seem to be simple enough to machine from bronze, teflon, etc.

Make an offer for the whole set.

Now on eBay for a quick sale. (3-day listing)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/292169277323?

Riley88
04-06-2020, 05:23 PM
Just had a local owner, cfi here on the forum find out his is cracked. DPI has a solution with them in stainless. As for the original, does anyone know if these were cast when they were made? I need to go check mine now out of curiosity.

CFI
04-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Just had a local owner, cfi here on the forum find out his is cracked. DPI has a solution with them in stainless. As for the original, does anyone know if these were cast when they were made? I need to go check mine now out of curiosity.

I think it might be the way they were cast. Look at the pic in post#8.

Delorean Industries
04-07-2020, 07:58 AM
Hinge set available here:

https://deloreanindustries.com/1-door-hinge-set-stainless/