PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Auto Transports

DeLorean03
05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey everyone,

So, it is getting near time. I am finally ready to bring 3299 up to Dayton. I am NOT making that drive - that is a given. My job is too hectic, and my driving nerves are shot. So, I am going to have the car transported up.

My question to everyone: does anyone have any experience with auto transport companies? I did it to first bring 3299 to Pensacola, but I don't remember the company's name and that was nearing 9 years ago. Who here has any experience with dealing with transport companies? Any advice/leads/recommendations? I'm pretty much going to go with a fully enclosed transporter, which of course means more expen$ive. I will entertain open transport vehicles too, but prefer enclosed transport companies.

So, everyone, ready fire aim! Give me your thoughts. I am scheduling it for the last week in May. Yep, sorry Ohio D Club - 3299 won't be making it in time for the Indy trip or the Tech Day.... stupid real life syndrome ._.

pezzonovante88
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
When I was considering having my D transported from NY to Ontario, I simply Googled "auto transport companies". Most companies I contacted gave me a fairly consistent quote all for ENCLOSED ONLY. Most companies refused to ship the car on an open trailer because it was certain the car would be damaged/dented. In the end, I just drove the car up. I cannot suggest to you any specific transport company, but there are tons of them so you can just call/email a few.

Good luck.

jackb
05-02-2012, 09:28 PM
4 Corners Transport
http://www.fourcornerstransportservices.com/
I used them and couldn't have been happier.

Rich
05-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Who here has any experience with dealing with transport companies? Any advice/leads/recommendations? I'm pretty much going to go with a fully enclosed transporter, which of course means more expen$ive. I will entertain open transport vehicles too, but prefer enclosed transport companies.

One previous thread on this subject is here: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?969

Here's another one: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2403

adam_knox
05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I had my car shipped via open transport through a brokerage. Never again. I had some "minor" damage done that will wind up costing me more than the difference of open vs. enclosed. Whatever you do, inspect your car very closely once it arrives. I'm sure the overall odds of damage being done are small, but being that 1 in a million sucks.

Rich W
05-03-2012, 12:30 PM
The Lead Tech at DMC MW (Mike) also does enclosed transport under the company name Gullwing Transport.

You may want to inquire to see if you can get a transport rate (after DCS) if he happens to be "un-loaded"
on the way back from Orlando, FL to the Chicago area. Pensacola is not that far out of the way on a return
trip, and depending upon the route, Ohio can be part of the return trip (also not that far out of the way).

It's always an extra bonus to have someone transport a DeLorean that "knows" DeLoreans.

Later,
Rich W.

DMCMW Dave
05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately he's driving in unloaded and coming back loaded. If anyone needs a tranport TO Florida let me know.

The carrier we really like (when it's not Mike) is www.passporttransport.com. I've never seen them mess up a car, and when they come in there there are generally cars on board worth a lot more (2 Fisker Karmas on the last load).

The Lead Tech at DMC MW (Mike) also does enclosed transport under the company name Gullwing Transport.

You may want to inquire to see if you can get a transport rate (after DCS) if he happens to be "un-loaded"
on the way back from Orlando, FL to the Chicago area. Pensacola is not that far out of the way on a return
trip, and depending upon the route, Ohio can be part of the return trip (also not that far out of the way).

It's always an extra bonus to have someone transport a DeLorean that "knows" DeLoreans.

Later,
Rich W.

Delorean Industries
05-03-2012, 01:45 PM
+1 on passport. Other then our door to door service and and reliable transport I wouldn't use anyone else. It pays to pay as silly as that sounds.

Delorean Industries
05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
We have two drops coming up in the next month. One in NC and one in SC. The SC one tentatively has a SPEC III twin turbo install coming back but may be shipped separate. I have no issues with continuing the rest of the way to FL and bringing it back to Ohio. The NC drop most likely the last week of the month would be best as I plan to spend time with the owner inspecting his other car and could continue fresh the next day.

I'm not normally in the rig but will be on both of these!

-Josh

DeLorean03
05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Going with 4 Corners. Quoted $994 for a ENCLOSED transport. That's pretty darn good.

Coulombe
05-06-2012, 09:50 AM
I've used Core nautical Group many times to transport both DeLoreans and my DeLorean Time Machines in closed container and open. I am extremely happy with them. Give them a call they aren't expensive.

Core Nautical Group, LLC www.corenautical.com ask to speak to "Veronica Abarca"

DeLorean03
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Hey everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I received 3299 today. I was VERY pleased with their delivery of my car. They picked it up yesterday in Monroeville, AL, and they had it to me in under 24 hours here in Dayton. Simply amazing.

After nearly 10 months, the DeLorean is home safe and sound.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions!

jackb
06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Going with 4 Corners. Quoted $994 for a ENCLOSED transport. That's pretty darn good.
You will be satisfied. The owner was a pretty cool guy on the phone, They definitely earned my recommendation to others and my future business.