PDA

View Full Version : General Escutcheon rattle and hum - making it stay in place

DrJeff
05-03-2012, 11:41 PM
One of the first things I noticed about my Delorean why I took deliver, was that the plastic bits (escutcheon #101889/101888 ) around the door lock/latch rattled and didn't feel like it was connected to the door at all. This left a cheap feeling, so something I was keen to remedy.

Trivia : Escutcheon - Old North French 1470

I wanted a solution that meant that 1) didn't look different from the original and 2) allowed me to maintain the door without any changes.

Velcro to the rescue!
I noticed that the Escutcheon (just E from now on...) clicked into the arm rest sub assembly (#105227/105228 ), which I'll call B (for Bracket) from now on. The small plastic tabs on the E are not tough enough to fight against pressure from the door trim panel or pressure from users of the door lock and latch. With the door trim panels off I noticed that there were gaps between the E and the B. Velcro!

So you need about 5 inches of industrial strength velcro sticky backed for each E, and a bunch of small cable ties. I drilled holes in the B and attached small roles of the hook side of velcro using cable ties. The little rolls of velcro are about 1 inch long and made into a roll. Since the velcro is sticky it rolls up readily. It took a few goes to get the roll to be just the right size, so have a bunch of spare cable ties handy.

I then attached (sticky backed) the fluffy side velcro to the bottom of the E. I placed it so that it would contact with the velcro rolls on the B. A little bit of trimming may be necessary to make sure it is hidden from sight when installed. I also drilled two holes in the metal bracket on the arm rest lower trim panel. The holes were in the bit of bracket just at the front end of the E. I made the (hook) velcro roll at this spot a good bit smaller (probably 1/2 in rolled) as there is much less space to fill.

Once the rolls are in place (take care to keep the cable tie knobs out of the way) and the fluffy velcro is on the E, you can install the E just as you would normally. Once in place, press firmly on the velcro locations to make sure the velcro pieces grab well. The E should hardly move, if at all.

Jeff

Marigolo
07-29-2013, 11:09 PM
One of the first things I noticed about my Delorean why I took deliver, was that the plastic bits (escutcheon #101889/101888 ) around the door lock/latch rattled and didn't feel like it was connected to the door at all. This left a cheap feeling, so something I was keen to remedy.

Trivia : Escutcheon - Old North French 1470

I wanted a solution that meant that 1) didn't look different from the original and 2) allowed me to maintain the door without any changes.

Velcro to the rescue!
I noticed that the Escutcheon (just E from now on...) clicked into the arm rest sub assembly (#105227/105228 ), which I'll call B (for Bracket) from now on. The small plastic tabs on the E are not tough enough to fight against pressure from the door trim panel or pressure from users of the door lock and latch. With the door trim panels off I noticed that there were gaps between the E and the B. Velcro!

So you need about 5 inches of industrial strength velcro sticky backed for each E, and a bunch of small cable ties. I drilled holes in the B and attached small roles of the hook side of velcro using cable ties. The little rolls of velcro are about 1 inch long and made into a roll. Since the velcro is sticky it rolls up readily. It took a few goes to get the roll to be just the right size, so have a bunch of spare cable ties handy.

I then attached (sticky backed) the fluffy side velcro to the bottom of the E. I placed it so that it would contact with the velcro rolls on the B. A little bit of trimming may be necessary to make sure it is hidden from sight when installed. I also drilled two holes in the metal bracket on the arm rest lower trim panel. The holes were in the bit of bracket just at the front end of the E. I made the (hook) velcro roll at this spot a good bit smaller (probably 1/2 in rolled) as there is much less space to fill.

Once the rolls are in place (take care to keep the cable tie knobs out of the way) and the fluffy velcro is on the E, you can install the E just as you would normally. Once in place, press firmly on the velcro locations to make sure the velcro pieces grab well. The E should hardly move, if at all.

Jeff

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

DrJeff
07-29-2013, 11:34 PM
...Thanks!

When I first started reading this I thought, wow someone else thought of velcro too :)

I haven't thought about my Escutcheons in a long time, probably because they don't rattle.

Marigolo... If you have any questions I've got plenty more photos.

Marigolo
07-30-2013, 03:45 PM
When I first started reading this I thought, wow someone else thought of velcro too :)

I haven't thought about my Escutcheons in a long time, probably because they don't rattle.

Marigolo... If you have any questions I've got plenty more photos.

Jeff, if you have the time, more pics would be great! I just picked up my D yesterday so I need all the help I can get :-)
Thanks!

DrJeff
07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
...more pics would be great!...

I don't know why the escutcheons were one of the first things I tackled. I guess it seemed easy but they also made the car feel like it was going to come apart as they were constantly rattling as I drove along.

I did drill a few holes in the black metal bracket on which the escutcheon is mounted, however they didn't change it's function at all. The velcro solution is completely hidden by the escutcheon when put in place. The trick was to get just the right amount of velcro in the rolls so that it allowed the escutcheon to sit in the correct location. The velcro also allows you to remove the escutcheon in the same way as you would normally.

Kenny_Z
07-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Looks like I need to go buy some velcro. Thank you guys very much. These have been driving me nuts.

Ryan S.
07-30-2013, 11:14 PM
Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Marigolo
08-01-2013, 12:03 PM
I don't know why the escutcheons were one of the first things I tackled. I guess it seemed easy but they also made the car feel like it was going to come apart as they were constantly rattling as I drove along.

I did drill a few holes in the black metal bracket on which the escutcheon is mounted, however they didn't change it's function at all. The velcro solution is completely hidden by the escutcheon when put in place. The trick was to get just the right amount of velcro in the rolls so that it allowed the escutcheon to sit in the correct location. The velcro also allows you to remove the escutcheon in the same way as you would normally.

Niiiice... Thanks!!! Greatly appreciated.

SIMid
10-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Before I buy a roll of velcro tape, I have some automotive doublesided tape, stuff used on door moulds.

Have you tried this option?

Some reason I haven't thought of it. I might give it a go and see if this will also work as an alternative. If it fails, then Velcro it shall be!

Silverbullet
10-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Before I buy a roll of velcro tape, I have some automotive doublesided tape, stuff used on door moulds.

Have you tried this option?

Some reason I haven't thought of it. I might give it a go and see if this will also work as an alternative. If it fails, then Velcro it shall be!

Ah... the tape it REALLY sticky... My guess is it would be hard to ever take it off to work on the door...

SIMid
10-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Ah... the tape it REALLY sticky... My guess is it would be hard to ever take it off to work on the door...

I would only use it sparingly, just enough for them to stick but can be removed with a bit of force. Plus it's a little thinker than normal double sided tape, so depending on the tolerances, it may not fit in the gaps. Could only try.