PDA

View Full Version : GCD Tech Day

bayouboy
06-14-2011, 12:34 AM
GCD started meeting about a year ago. Several member, near and far have participated in 2 tech days and other work days and car shows.

A Tech Day is called for Saturday, July 9, 2011 following a Cruise-In to celebrate National Collector Car Appreciation Day (CCAD). This recognition was announced by Senate Resolution last year and again this year. For more information, go to:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/19/senate-designates-july-8-collector-car-appreciation-day and
http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2010/21/collector-car-appreciation-day-grows

The Senate actually set it for July 8, but that's a Friday, so we're celebrating on Saturday the 9th. The multi-club event is open to all at Laurel Valley Plantation, Thibodaux, LA. Flyer attached 1135

Following the Cruise-In, a DeLorean Tech Session focusing on Trailing Arm Bolts (TABs) will be conducted at a GCD member's home. Send an email to Fred at [email protected] if you're interested in attending either function.

Bayouboy

Farrar
06-14-2011, 11:38 AM
I plan to have a/c by then, so I will also plan to see you there! :)

Farrar

stevedmc
06-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah buddy. It is good to see we now have a name for our "club".

Mike C.
06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
You also have a Club designation for your profile.

Go to Settings - Edit Profile - and check GCD - then SAVE.

Your GCD will now show up in your member display field under your VIN if you have one entered.

-Mike

DeMopar
06-22-2011, 09:37 PM
GCD started meeting about a year ago. Several member, near and far have participated in 2 tech days and other work days and car shows.

A Tech Day is called for Saturday, July 9, 2011 following a Cruise-In to celebrate National Collector Car Appreciation Day (CCAD). This recognition was announced by Senate Resolution last year and again this year. For more information, go to:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/19/senate-designates-july-8-collector-car-appreciation-day and
http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2010/21/collector-car-appreciation-day-grows

The Senate actually set it for July 8, but that's a Friday, so we're celebrating on Saturday the 9th. The multi-club event is open to all at Laurel Valley Plantation, Thibodaux, LA. Flyer attached 1135

Following the Cruise-In, a DeLorean Tech Session focusing on Trailing Arm Bolts (TABs) will be conducted at a GCD member's home. Send an email to Fred at [email protected] if you're interested in attending either function.

Bayouboy

TABs? Why, that just happens to be my next project! But does the tech session extend into TABs on an auto D? :eek1:

bayouboy
06-22-2011, 11:34 PM
TABs? Why, that just happens to be my next project! But does the tech session extend into TABs on an auto D? :eek1:

As a matter of fact, it does. 5306 shifts itself. I ordered and received the new bolt kit this week. Come on out!

Fred

Farrar
06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I posted the information Fred gave on the GCD website under "Upcoming Events."

Farrar

stevedmc
06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
As a matter of fact, it does. 5306 shifts itself. I ordered and received the new bolt kit this week. Come on out!

Fred

Its going to be an interesting day with TABs. Pray that there aren't any stuck bolts.

Farrar
07-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I am hoping I earn some brownie points helping y'all with your trailing arm bolts -- I need a shady place to work on my air conditioning. :-)

Are we all set for Saturday? What time shall we meet and where?

Farrar

Farrar
07-07-2011, 11:10 AM
All right, guys, we're almost there!

Brian texted me yesterday and said he thinks it'd be a good idea to meet up on the Southshore and drive to Fred's together. Steve, you wanna join us in River Ridge and leave from there?

Farrar

stevedmc
07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Are you coming from I-10 or Hwy 61? If you are coming from interstate it would be easier for me to meet you guys in front of Sams Club on Loyola Drive.

Airline is good too but keep in mind I am coming from Laplace. If you are coming from Airline it might be best for me to meet you where I-310 and Hwy 61 meet.

Farrar
07-07-2011, 12:39 PM
If you are coming from Airline it might be best for me to meet you where I-310 and Hwy 61 meet.

That works for me. Since the event starts at 10am, I am guessing we should meet there around 9am.

Brian, how about you?

Farrar

stevedmc
07-07-2011, 02:16 PM
That works for me. Since the event starts at 10am, I am guessing we should meet there around 9am.

Brian, how about you?

Farrar

Awesome. Do you know of any places around 310 and Airline? I don't get out that way much. 9am sounds great too.

Farrar
07-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Do you know of any places around 310 and Airline? I don't get out that way much.

I don't get out that way ever. There doesn't seem to be much around according to Google Maps -- there's a United Rentals on the map and what looks like a bunch of other places with large parking lots. I guess we can just find some place before the I-310 exit that is closed on Saturdays and use their parking lot for a few minutes before we hit the Interstate.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Hopefully we will have at least one other guest. I invited the Baton Rouge guy (BTTF conversion) and am about to send a note to the DML as well.

Farrar
07-08-2011, 09:59 AM
You said I was bringing my car. Does that mean I have to drive it now? It's filthy, the fascias are peeling, cracking, and bubbling something awful, and it has no air conditioning, so I wasn't going to embarrass myself by bringing it to the cruise-in.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-08-2011, 11:58 AM
You said I was bringing my car. Does that mean I have to drive it now? It's filthy, the fascias are peeling, cracking, and bubbling something awful, and it has no air conditioning, so I wasn't going to embarrass myself by bringing it to the cruise-in.

Farrar

How else is my car supposed to look good?

Btw, my fascias arent that great either if you look closely.

Farrar
07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
How else is my car supposed to look good?

Just keep flashing that smile at the ladies.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Just keep flashing that smile at the ladies.

Farrar

I'm still having trouble figuring that one out. I see two meanings.

Meaning 1: My looks and smile are so hideous that it will make the car look like a gem in comparison.

Meaning 2: My good looks and charm will naturaly attract the ladies to my car.

Farrar
07-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Definitely the second one. My lack of charm and good looks has always driven people away from my car. Since I despise attention, however, I am not going to change my natural scowl.

Farrar

Farrar
07-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I haven't got in touch with Fred this evening and it's getting a bit late to try, so here's what I figure:

Brian and I are going to meet at my place around 8:45, and then connect with Steve by 61 and 310 at 9:00. I will put the address for Laurel Valley Plantation in my GPS and go from there. According to Google Maps, it's about an hour away from where Steve, Brian, and I will get together.

Brian's not bringing his DeLorean and neither am I, so it looks like it'll be just two DeLoreans at the cruise-in ... unless Fred drives his Studebaker, in which case Steve's will be the only DeLorean present.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Brian's not bringing his DeLorean and neither am I, so it looks like it'll be just two DeLoreans at the cruise-in ... unless Fred drives his Studebaker, in which case Steve's will be the only DeLorean present.

That sucks that you two aren't driving stainless. If you want I can make some Saturday visits for you guys to help with AC work and TAB work.

On another note, I do need to replace my steering column bushing. Maybe we can work on that tomorrow if Fred's TABs don't take took long.

DeMopar
07-08-2011, 11:39 PM
That sucks that you two aren't driving stainless. If you want I can make some Saturday visits for you guys to help with AC work and TAB work.

On another note, I do need to replace my steering column bushing. Maybe we can work on that tomorrow if Fred's TABs don't take took long.

Steve, do you have the soft bushing that you can split, or the hardened version?

stevedmc
07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm not sure what I have. I ordered it from DMCMW about a week ago. I think Dave said something about being able to push this bushings in with just my hand.

Farrar
07-09-2011, 09:56 AM
I used the "cut and cram" method on Houston's soft steering column bushing and mine fell out a week later. I've just decided that constant rattling it part of Living The Dream.

I'm bringing my camera to the cruise-in/tech day. :)

Farrar

Farrar
07-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Here are some pics from today! First, the cruise-in with Fred's and Steve's DeLoreans...

Then, the tech session afterward...

As you can see, Fred's trailing arm bolts are in superb condition. :)

And a great deal of fun was had by all. Thanks again!

Farrar

bayouboy
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
great pics, farrar. it's always a good time when we're working on D's. thanks for all the help. let's get that a/c done on yours.

fred

Farrar
07-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Steve, how's your battery? Did you get that all sorted out?

Farrar

stevedmc
07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Steve, how's your battery? Did you get that all sorted out?

Farrar

I managed to drive around on the old batter without any problems until I left work Monday evening. The car started fine but I noticed the volt gauge was not moving. It sat around 8-10 volts and would not move up when I would rev the engine.

I immediatly suspected the alternator so I went straight to Autozone for a test. They hooked up their tester and it immediately reported the battery as bad. I replaced the batter with a 78-DL (Gold) from Autozone and am now back in business.

I had been thinking about replacing the battery since I got the car but a test at Oreilly's about 18 months ago said my battery was good. I found it funny how it took Oreilly's machine 30 minutes to run a test (it actually charged the battery and then tested) whereas it took about 30 seconds for Autozone's machine to test the battery.

Anyway, the car is working great again and I have a battery with a 8 year warranty. They will swap the battery for free if it fails in the first 3 years and after that it is prorated.

Farrar
07-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Cool, glad you got that sorted out.

In other news, did you still want me to wire up your rear parcel shelf trim piece with LED lights like I did mine? I think you mentioned you might want me to do that once upon a time. I am going to make an order from Superbright before too long; I can order the necessary parts to do that job if you are still interested.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-13-2011, 02:27 PM
In other news, did you still want me to wire up your rear parcel shelf trim piece with LED lights like I did mine? I think you mentioned you might want me to do that once upon a time. I am going to make an order from Superbright before too long; I can order the necessary parts to do that job if you are still interested.

Does it take a lot of work to do the cargo bay? I was thinking about just installing footwell lights under the glovebox and steering column, and maybe some trunk and engine bay mods. I hear you can get the stuff really cheap on eBay.

Farrar
07-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Does it take a lot of work to do the cargo bay?

Not really; it just takes a long time to measure the wires and solder everything together, then affix it to the trim piece and put the appropriate connectors on. I did it in the course of an evening, then installed it the next day, so I can't tell you exactly how many hours I spent on it. I know it did eat up a bunch of time, though.

My trunk lighting, by contrast, took about three minutes to install. ;)

Farrar

stevedmc
07-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Not really; it just takes a long time to measure the wires and solder everything together, then affix it to the trim piece and put the appropriate connectors on. I did it in the course of an evening, then installed it the next day, so I can't tell you exactly how many hours I spent on it. I know it did eat up a bunch of time, though.

My trunk lighting, by contrast, took about three minutes to install. ;)

Farrar

The cargo lights sound good but if its going to take a lot of time I'll pass on it. What I really want to do is the front footwell lights and some engine/trunk lighting. If you want to hook me up and include that in your order that would be great and I can pay you back next time we get together.

Farrar
07-13-2011, 02:53 PM
The cargo lights sound good but if its going to take a lot of time I'll pass on it.

Well, that's why I was going to do the work for you ;) -- all I need is to borrow that trim piece from you, make the changes, and give it back. Minimum effort on your part.

What I really want to do is the front footwell lights and some engine/trunk lighting. If you want to hook me up and include that in your order that would be great and I can pay you back next time we get together.

All right, I will let you know when I am ready to place another order.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Well, that's why I was going to do the work for you ;) -- all I need is to borrow that trim piece from you, make the changes, and give it back. Minimum effort on your part.

All right, I will let you know when I am ready to place another order.

Farrar

Ok, you win. Hook me up with some trim lights.