PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for 3.0 swap

Squall67584
05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
I've seen the thread titled "Reasons for EFI" and thought this topic would be a good one to discuss, and those that have done it can certainly give their own thoughts. Other than the obvious displacement increase, what are some of the reasons to swap to a 3.0 PRV?

I know that stock for stock, the 3.0 offers more HP and Torque, and I know that typically those that choose to go this route tend to turbo the engine which can reach rather high HP numbers. But what about keeping it NA? How much HP/Torque can the 3.0 produce realistically? I've seen that DPI offers a 3.0 engine with mild porting and offers Euro-Spec cams; any idea as to what numbers that could produce? I would think it would be a little more than a spec II build just due to the displacement.

Chris Burns
05-06-2012, 12:39 PM
It's a matter of preference. Some people do it because original motors for Deloreans are running kind of low and if they need a new motor they go with the 3.0 liter version. I think you can get 300hp out of the 3.0 liter motor tops with turbo kit.

They start out at 165hp.

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/performance/spec-engines/spec-3-0.html

EarlHickey
05-06-2012, 01:58 PM
There are several 400-600 horse prv's that exist although unlikely in a DMC with either stock transmission.

You can pick up the extra 50cc's by merely swapping the eagle/dodge liners and their heads are reported to have better ports, as is reported for the volvo 280 heads. I don't know for sure, but, that liner/piston swap may be possible without even pulling the oil pan.

For all that matter, wet liners can be bored easily enough and if I were going to do anything in that direction, I'd take it much closer to the limits of the physical constraints. I haven't read the liners were chromed. If so, liners are just liners and it wouldn't be nothing but a thing to grab some off most anything able to be fitted.

More likely if I were going to drop anything else in, would be going with a last of the line 24V engine or at least a 2 valve from the mid 90's.

I'm hunting for a 24V and a spare R30 automatic transmission.

It's a matter of preference. Some people do it because original motors for Deloreans are running kind of low and if they need a new motor they go with the 3.0 liter version. I think you can get 300hp out of the 3.0 liter motor tops with turbo kit.

They start out at 165hp.

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/performance/spec-engines/spec-3-0.html

DMCMW Dave
05-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Not mentioned here, but the 3.0 is an even-fire engine (split crank pins).

nullset
05-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Not mentioned here, but the 3.0 is an even-fire engine (split crank pins).

I still have not figured out if there's an advantage to odd fire or even fire, or whether the 3.0 can (or should?) be made to be odd fire.

EarlHickey
05-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I still have not figured out if there's an advantage to odd fire or even fire, or whether the 3.0 can (or should?) be made to be odd fire.

Exhaust tuning and non-individual runner intake tuning is more difficult on the odd fire.

All of them, even-fire, semi-even fire, and odd fire are shakers unless fitted with a counter balance shaft.

Some of the later prv engines are counterbalanced.

I forgot which one, I'll assume an odd fire if for no other reason than that it's crankshaft is stronger.

Found it.

http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/files/505faqv1.pdf

Peugeot counterbalanced it and I'm pretty sure they also HiVo's the cam chains.

I have no idea who wrote this, but, they do not know what a hemi-chamber, complete with the required valves set at a 90 degree included angle, looks like.

V-6's (all three types) are used in the Busch Grand National series and finding easy to understand layman's explanations, as opposed to the Peugeot Service Manual with proper engineer speak, is easy enough. Harder is getting to the nuts and bolts of an optimum odd fire exhaust design, which does not use equal length primaries, but, almost anything is better than any of the stock manifolds I've seen on any of the prv engines.

Delorean Industries
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
There are several 400-600 horse prv's that exist although unlikely in a DMC with either stock transmission.

You can pick up the extra 50cc's by merely swapping the eagle/dodge liners and their heads are reported to have better ports, as is reported for the volvo 280 heads. I don't know for sure, but, that liner/piston swap may be possible without even pulling the oil pan.

For all that matter, wet liners can be bored easily enough and if I were going to do anything in that direction, I'd take it much closer to the limits of the physical constraints. I haven't read the liners were chromed. If so, liners are just liners and it wouldn't be nothing but a thing to grab some off most anything able to be fitted.

More likely if I were going to drop anything else in, would be going with a last of the line 24V engine or at least a 2 valve from the mid 90's.

I'm hunting for a 24V and a spare R30 automatic transmission.

I have plenty r30's and 24v platforms here. You will not like the price tag though.

EarlHickey
05-06-2012, 05:05 PM
I have plenty r30's and 24v platforms here. You will not like the price tag though.

Fair enough.

EarlHickey
05-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Another 3.0 cylinder head advantage, 45 degree valve seats. 30 degree seats are for side valve engines, not porsche's, vw's and prv's. The 30 degree seats can be cut to 45 (which would seat the valve on the 30 degree seat's throating cut, but, I don't think the valves will face up at 45 degrees without falling through the seat. New valves required.

Interesting is that most OHV engines that have 30 degree seats, typically do so on the exhaust side which ALMOST makes sense and may even make good sense with certain chamber designs and certain cam profiles.