PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting a business

Roman Legion
06-14-2011, 02:22 PM
I am looking for ways to earn money on the side with natural abilities.. I am very OCD and my car is always complimented for how clean it is, so I have been thinking of starting a small automotive detailing business; does anyone have any experience on this? I was going to attempt spreading the word at local car shows if I can ever get this going.

Delorean Industries
06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
The number one thing is to have everything legit. Make sure that you are properly insured with garage keepers insurance etc. Once you start touching a customers car in any way shape or form it becomes your responsibility. A scratch in a high end paint job isn't something you want to pay for out of pocket.

DMC3165
06-14-2011, 02:40 PM
The number one thing is to have everything legit. Make sure that you are properly insured with garage keepers insurance etc. Once you start touching a customers car in any way shape or form it becomes your responsibility. A scratch in a high end paint job isn't something you want to pay for out of pocket.

+1 on this. But you will have more business cleaning some slobs Toyota then a mint 57 Chevy. I knew a guy who did this and made a killing cleaning every lazy housewife's car and her husbands Toyota because he was too tired after work. Trust me go for that market. Tons of business there!

Roman Legion
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
+1 on this. But you will have more business cleaning some slobs Toyota then a mint 57 Chevy. I knew a guy who did this and made a killing cleaning every lazy housewife's car and her husbands Toyota because he was too tired after work. Trust me go for that market. Tons of business there!

How much did he charge? How should I advertise, if I clean the car on site (Not my place) do I still need the aforementioned insurance; if so, how much will that run me? But I like your idea!

nullset
06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Good luck topping this guys…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LSle_WgexQ

Dracula
06-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I've also been giving that area much thought and will be starting a business that rents out cars for static displays; movies, theme parties, etc. and have to speak with a lawyer some time next week. In the mean time, I need to think of a name.

Roman Legion
06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
I've also been giving that area much thought and will be starting a business that rents out cars for static displays; movies, theme parties, etc. and have to speak with a lawyer some time next week. In the mean time, I need to think of a name.

Not a bad idea.. When I get a DeLorean, I could rent it out as a static display..

DMC3165
06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
The guy I knew did it all word of mouth. He supplied everything except the water. I think he probably didn't have insurance. But no one I knew ever had an issue with him. He'd go on peoples lunch break or whatever and was getting $35-40 a car back in the late 90's.

Roman Legion
06-14-2011, 04:12 PM
The guy I knew did it all word of mouth. He supplied everything except the water. I think he probably didn't have insurance. But no one I knew ever had an issue with him. He'd go on peoples lunch break or whatever and was getting $35-40 a car back in the late 90's.

So I take it he only washed and cleaned the interior? Any wax like carnauba wax? I was thinking about charging $50-60 myself.. Which is about the same with inflation, eh?

DMC3165
06-15-2011, 08:46 AM
I think your good with $50-60 for a wash and a quick interior clean. A local Simon shop was getting $250. A few years ago for a full detail, but that was a whole day and I has to bring the car to him.

Don't set the bar to high with your clientele. Trust me on that. Use your local pennysaver or newspaper for advertising. Act and speak professionally and it'll go a long way with people. Word of mouth is everything. Show up ready to work no hanging around drinking coffee. Wear a polo shirt or something. No metallica t-shirts and you'll do fine. Image is everything and personality goes a long way too. Good luck I hope it works out for you.

dvonk
06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Image is everything and personality goes a long way too.

+1. if you take the time to have a clean & professional appearance, people will infer you will do the same for their vehicles.

Mike C.
06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I have a few friends that do mobile detailing. In FL, it's VERY popular because of our weather year round.

Best setup you can get is a trailer or a van with a water container, small pressure washer, generator for your power tools. Most people do not like it when you have to hook into their water. You will also find difficulty if you are doing a mobile wash in the middle of a parking lot with no water outlet. Good extension cords on reels, air hoses on reels, etc... make the difference. A handheld leafblower makes an EXCELLENT spot free dryer. My friend has one in his van that I disassembled and custom painted with the name "Mr. Blowhard" on it :D

Everyone is right, don't worry about your big money jobs. The average wash, vacuum, interior detail, tire shine at 40 - 50 is where your money is at ($50 bucks, 2 hours of work = good $ per hour!). Corporate buildings and offices are your friends... Fridays REAALLY are your friends, because everyone wants a clean car for the weekend.

Some tips:
Photograph the car the SECOND you pull up to it, before you even touch it. Document EVERYTHING. This way if the person calls an hour later saying you dented the car, you have proof. Clean cars show unknown damages easier.

Insurance is a MUST.

Don't skimp on the detail products. There is a difference between crappy and crappier.

Think about offering a la carte services like plastic lens restoration, leather conditioning, etc...

Most importantly, my pet peeve with mobile detailers:
KEEP YOUR DETAILING VEHICLE, TRAILER, and EQUIPMENT C-L-E-A-N!!! I can NOT stress this enough.
Like I said, we have tons of detailers in South Florida. What sets the people apart is their vehicle. If you come to detail a 7 Series BMW and the owner of the detail service is driving a filthy vehicle, what makes me think I can trust you to do a good job on my car?
A funny story about this: At my office, we had a guy come in with a nice, glossy card showing pictures of exotic cars - advertising his detail business. His "detailing" truck was filthy. I needed a detail, but not from that guy. I called my friend because you can EAT off his truck 24-7. It's not the nicest truck, but it is CLEAN and DETAILED all the time. I cannot stand a detailer that doesn't detail their work rig. That is your business. If I sold cologne, i'd make sure I smelled good when I went to work. Try buying cologne from a guy that smells like dog ass... not gonna work.

Best of luck with your venture!!

Roman Legion
06-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I have a few friends that do mobile detailing. In FL, it's VERY popular because of our weather year round.

Best setup you can get is a trailer or a van with a water container, small pressure washer, generator for your power tools. Most people do not like it when you have to hook into their water. You will also find difficulty if you are doing a mobile wash in the middle of a parking lot with no water outlet. Good extension cords on reels, air hoses on reels, etc... make the difference. A handheld leafblower makes an EXCELLENT spot free dryer. My friend has one in his van that I disassembled and custom painted with the name "Mr. Blowhard" on it :D

Everyone is right, don't worry about your big money jobs. The average wash, vacuum, interior detail, tire shine at 40 - 50 is where your money is at ($50 bucks, 2 hours of work = good $ per hour!). Corporate buildings and offices are your friends... Fridays REAALLY are your friends, because everyone wants a clean car for the weekend.

Some tips:
Photograph the car the SECOND you pull up to it, before you even touch it. Document EVERYTHING. This way if the person calls an hour later saying you dented the car, you have proof. Clean cars show unknown damages easier.

Insurance is a MUST.

Don't skimp on the detail products. There is a difference between crappy and crappier.

Think about offering a la carte services like plastic lens restoration, leather conditioning, etc...

Most importantly, my pet peeve with mobile detailers:
KEEP YOUR DETAILING VEHICLE, TRAILER, and EQUIPMENT C-L-E-A-N!!! I can NOT stress this enough.
Like I said, we have tons of detailers in South Florida. What sets the people apart is their vehicle. If you come to detail a 7 Series BMW and the owner of the detail service is driving a filthy vehicle, what makes me think I can trust you to do a good job on my car?
A funny story about this: At my office, we had a guy come in with a nice, glossy card showing pictures of exotic cars - advertising his detail business. His "detailing" truck was filthy. I needed a detail, but not from that guy. I called my friend because you can EAT off his truck 24-7. It's not the nicest truck, but it is CLEAN and DETAILED all the time. I cannot stand a detailer that doesn't detail their work rig. That is your business. If I sold cologne, i'd make sure I smelled good when I went to work. Try buying cologne from a guy that smells like dog ass... not gonna work.

Best of luck with your venture!!

I was going to use my Mustang as the transportation until I can get the '96 Land Rover Discovery (It only costs ~1k..lol) Without cleaning my Mustang prior, I will take a picture of how it looks.. Mind you the carpet has a few pieces of grass, but not too bad.. I am going to vacuum it out today.. I was going to yesterday but I was in the hospital in the morning and on the phone with doctors the rest of the day. How much would the small pressure washer, generator for power tools and insurance run?

Roman Legion
06-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I have not really had a chance to clean my car from my last trip, but here it is.. The birds have been a real pain this year, constant dive-bombing on my car..

Mike C.
06-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I was going to use my Mustang as the transportation until I can get the '96 Land Rover Discovery (It only costs ~1k..lol) Without cleaning my Mustang prior, I will take a picture of how it looks.. Mind you the carpet has a few pieces of grass, but not too bad.. I am going to vacuum it out today.. I was going to yesterday but I was in the hospital in the morning and on the phone with doctors the rest of the day. How much would the small pressure washer, generator for power tools and insurance run?

Hospital? Hope all is better now!

A nice low pressure pressure washer can be had for about $150.00. Actually I was in Pep Boys last week and they have a small unit with a honda motor for $150.00. This would be a good STARTER unit. Eventually you will want to upgrade.

Generator to power things like the vacuum and a small compressor will be a couple of hundred bucks. Get a decent brand.

I found this picture that may help you. It's of a basic car detailer's trailer:

http://www.rightlook.com/images/auto_detailing/trailers/auto-detailing-trailer-7500.jpg

You really should look into a bigger vehicle or a used detailer's trailer other than the mustang for detailing. There is alot of equipment you need to get started, rather than just a bucket and rag.

A good choice would also be a nice cargo van or a full size truck. You can mount the tank and equipment inside, make custom racks, and have a self contained vehicle. The downfall is if you break down, your detail equipment can't be moved to another vehicle.

I am a huge fan of a foam gun. Makes starting detailing easy. I have one and use it for my every day washing.

Insurance varies from state to state. Unfortunately I dont have any quotes for you.

Roman Legion
06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I do have access to a 2008 Chrysler Town and Country and I was looking at a 1996 Land Rover Discovery.. I would say either should be enough for the job.

http://www.4wdonline.com/LandRover/Discovery/PiCs37/Tdi1996.S.jpg

http://www.4wdonline.com/LandRover/Discovery/PiCs37/Tdi1996.R.jpg

If I could get a list of items for a starter kit, I would greatly appreciate it..

EdR5150
06-16-2011, 09:59 PM
http://weeonion.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/biff.jpg

jmettee
06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
http://weeonion.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/biff.jpg

LOVE IT! :aniclap:

Roman Legion
06-16-2011, 11:18 PM
LOVE IT! :aniclap:

Oh G-d! When I get my DeLorean and start doing this, I am making myself susceptible to this reference.. lol

Dangermouse
06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
And now you've got a name for your business - Biffs Auto Detailing

Roman Legion
06-17-2011, 01:18 PM
And now you've got a name for your business - Biffs Auto Detailing

I wonder if I would get sued for using that name.. I could use the DeLorean to help advertise.. hmm