PDA

View Full Version : General 5 lug hub and rotor conversion?

Witchboard
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Has anybody done a 5 lug hub and rotor conversion on their D or have a cross reference?

DMCVegas
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Curtis in Ohio did from what I've heard. Completely fabricated the hub though. Welded up, measured, and drilled fresh holes to insert new lugs. Don't know what rotors he used though.

http://www.entermyworld.com/cat/custom/mem/memcurtisb.jpg

Bitsyncmaster
05-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I would think you could weld the holes up on the OEM hubs and machine and drill new holes.

nofear365
05-11-2012, 03:31 PM
I'd imagine 5 lug hubs would open up a new world of wheel / rim options.

Witchboard
05-11-2012, 05:19 PM
I would think you could weld the holes up on the OEM hubs and machine and drill new holes.

I don't have access to a machine shop. I was thinking more of a direct replacement. Unfortunately the online manual page with that possible information is corrupted in the PDF, so I'll have to check out the specifications when I get home in my hard-copy. Is this harder to do than what I'm thinking? It must be or there'e be several people doing it already.

Bitsyncmaster
05-11-2012, 05:33 PM
The correct way would be to clean up the welds on a lathe. Then use a rotary table to drill the holes on a mill. But you could probably use a hand grinder to clean the welds and a template to drill the new holes.

EarlHickey
05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't have access to a machine shop. I was thinking more of a direct replacement. Unfortunately the online manual page with that possible information is corrupted in the PDF, so I'll have to check out the specifications when I get home in my hard-copy. Is this harder to do than what I'm thinking? It must be or there'e be several people doing it already.

I would find it completely inconceivable that five lug parts do not exist that can easily, or with only little modification, convert both ends to five lug.

My guess is even larger rotors with 4 to 6 puck calipers is quite possible.

If you come up with all dimensions, I have access to fantastic catalogs of automotive parts, foreign and domestic, by physical constraint.

I'll certainly measure and record the dimensions of my own, when the time comes, so for now, PM me if you manage to obtain all relevant data.

Spindle dimensions, rotor dimensions, caliper offsets, hole centers for the the calipers and their carriers, hub dimensions, half shaft dimensions...... etc etc etc.

So far I've managed to churn out quite a few IGES files on this car just putzing around and I will have point clouds generated for several parts of interest, to me anyhow, this week.

I'm not saying welding them up and drilling is a bad plan, I agree with your thinking that there is likely an easier and even more performance oriented easier way. I'd just about bet on it.

btw... I don't know to which online manual you refer, but, the factory manual doesn't cough up lots of info, even stuff vital to doing an engine blueprint and many of the line drawings are indeed with errors.