PDA

View Full Version : Pending Purchase

Buckshot
05-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,

I've been in contact with a seller for a few weeks now and it looks as if I will be taking ownership in the next couple of weeks (contingent upon personal inspection) of an '82. Thanks to those who I have communicated with over this forum regarding advice and the purchase process. I warn you now that I will probably be a thorn in this forum's side during the first few months with more questions and maintenance issues and I am familiar with the "search" function.

Cheers

Ron
05-13-2012, 02:20 PM
:welcome:

Where in GA are you?

Besure to check out SEDOC (http://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php?32-The-Southeastern-DeLorean-Owners-Club-(SEDOC)) for upcomming meet!

Chris Burns
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Everyone is getting their D's lately:headbang:

Awesome man. Good luck!!

Mike S
05-13-2012, 04:46 PM
BuckShot,

As Ron stated, there is a gathering soon, perhaps you can make it, hopefully you'll have your new D by then.

Mike S.

SIMid
05-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Congrats!! :evilgrin:

Everyone is getting their D's lately:headbang:

Your turn soon Chris!

Dangermouse
05-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Great,

looking forward to meeting you and the car.

Ron,

I think he said somewhere that he is SW of ATL.

dvonk
05-14-2012, 08:46 AM
congratulations! post photos when you can! :biggrin:

Marigolo
05-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Hey guys,

I've been in contact with a seller for a few weeks now and it looks as if I will be taking ownership in the next couple of weeks (contingent upon personal inspection) of an '82. Thanks to those who I have communicated with over this forum regarding advice and the purchase process. I warn you now that I will probably be a thorn in this forum's side during the first few months with more questions and maintenance issues and I am familiar with the "search" function.

Cheers

I, too, am about to purchase a D in the following days, so maybe we can relate our first-time owner experiences to other members here, and hopefully get some advice from the not-so-rookie crowd! Good luck with your purchase!
Mario.

Buckshot
05-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'm excited to begin a new hobby. I turned in my pilot wings for a set of gullwings. I'm SE of ATL in Henry County. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the tech session in June. Although I appreciate the invite.

First things first, a road trip to get the D and then trailer it home. Currently planning on renting an auto transport trailer form Uhaul, I've heard that this trailering experience is quite easy. Then it will be finding an air conditioning guru to overhaul the a/c as it currently is inoperative.

Cheers

Jimmyvonviggle
05-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys. I'm excited to begin a new hobby. I turned in my pilot wings for a set of gullwings. I'm SE of ATL in Henry County. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to the tech session in June. Although I appreciate the invite.

First things first, a road trip to get the D and then trailer it home. Currently planning on renting an auto transport trailer form Uhaul, I've heard that this trailering experience is quite easy. Then it will be finding an air conditioning guru to overhaul the a/c as it currently is inoperative.

Cheers

Just make sure you get the wider uhaul trailer .

nullset
05-15-2012, 03:50 PM

Cheers

PM me. I have A/C service equipment in Atlanta.

--buddy

Buckshot
05-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Null, your PM inbox is full. I can't PM you according to the error message I get.

So, a few more details have emerged about my prospective vehicle. In addition to the A/C system needing attention, there is a minor door switch issue which prevents the amber and red door lights from turning off when the door is shut. I've read on this board that its probably an easy fix. But it does drain the battery. The second more severe concern is a fuel leak. The owner swears he keeps gas in the tank but keeps having to constantly fill it. He doesn't see any fuel accumulating under the car at rest and doesnt smell any gas either. I've also researched this board and discovered a few problem areas to check.

However, my thought is the entire fuel system should be replaced/updated anyway. Thirty year old hoses, lines, pumps, and seals have got to be almost shot. An overhaul like this is way over my head so how much money you guys think I'm looking to spend on this type of work? Any ballpark estimates would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dangermouse
05-19-2012, 09:18 AM
The door switch could be a number if things - faulty switch, adjustment or may be missing its little rubber cover. Short term fix is to disconnect the switch which is easily accessed.

I haven't done it but I have heard the $1000 number mentioned for a full fuel overhaul and that is probably just parts. DMCH new fuel pump/sender is $400 alone.

However inspection of the whole car is advised and then budget your money accordingly. Fuel system may be OK in the short term.

nullset
05-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Do you want to do the work yourself, or pay someone to do it? If you're willing to get your hands dirty, you'll save quite a bit of money.

Has the car been sitting, or has it been driven? If it's been sitting, do not try to turn the engine over without working on the fuel system first.

I cleared out some space in my PM box.

--buddy

Buckshot
05-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Do you want to do the work yourself, or pay someone to do it? If you're willing to get your hands dirty, you'll save quite a bit of money.

Has the car been sitting, or has it been driven? If it's been sitting, do not try to turn the engine over without working on the fuel system first.

I cleared out some space in my PM box.

--buddy

I don't mind getting dirty. I enjoy working on cars. I also enjoy learning new things. What Im lacking is time and tools. The car has been driven weekly, in town and highway speeds of 60mph. I'm told it starts, accelerates, and shifts just fine. My impression is that preventative maintenance items were overlooked and now its catching up with the owner. I'm also told cosmetically inside and out the car is great. So, I figure some money invested into a few key components might equal a solid two or three day a week driver. Of course all this remains to be seen on Tues evening.

Thanks fellas,

Cheers

Buckshot
05-22-2012, 04:00 AM
So, the pending purchase has been called off. I am back to square one in my quest for a vehicle. My thanks to those who have offered guidance and advice throughout this ordeal. My only disappointment lies with the built up excitement that will just have to wait a little longer. It wasn't the vehicle for me and that's just fine. Frankly, I felt as if I might quickly be in over my head (or at least spending a lot of $$) with a fuel system issue. I've only been on this site about a month and the members on here are absolutely fantastic. The circumstances surrounding the cancellation of the deal are sensitive and were shared with me in confidence so I won't disclose too much. But I would like to say that any owner backing out of a deal because they would prefer to bequeath the vehicle to their son trumps any and all agreements in my book.

I can't explain most of this situation to the people who know me the best using actual words and I certainly can't portray it here on an internet forum with a computer. Just know that God has transcended the stainless steel and in a moment that seems perfectly balanced in logic and crazy, I am sending the money I've set aside for a down payment to this family anyway. In talking with the owner it is clear they need the money more than I do.

I'm back to square one and I've honestly never felt so thrilled to be here!

Cheers

Dangermouse
05-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you are doing some real good with that money. :thumbup:

Moving on from Square 1, spend even more time here, come out to a tech session, learn more about the cars and you will eventually be successful in your quest.