PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Axles - DAP vs. DPI (Caveat Emptor)

TTait
05-15-2012, 02:41 AM
The following review should be considered "fair". Yes - I am annoyed but I'm taking great care to be forthright and fair in my reporting here.

I had a CV joint start clicking a few months back, when I put the car up on stands and took a look the boots were beyond tired, ripping. They looked pretty good last fall, but time ravaged them pretty quickly in the meantime. I looked around and was pleased to see that Hervey had a pretty good deal, so I ordered a set.

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/suspension.html

They looked fine when they came in, and I went about installing them. On the first unit one of the end caps did not line up well and I had to persuade it gently for a while to get them close enough for the bolts to go through.

I got the first one hung, with 11 bolts in place, but number 12 was a problem. The stainless clamp was installed blocking the last bolt hole - which kind of sucked a little. I took some photos and sent them it to John...

We chatted on the phone about it and he warned me that I could damage the boot or loosen the clamp if I tried to spin it, instead he suggested that I should just cut it off and use a cable tie. My other option was to find someone to fix them locally to my satisfaction, and at my expense. Sending me a clamp and a pair of pliers to return with the cores was not an option. (Actually, John said today that he had suggested exactly that when I first called, so decide for yourself).

I then thought to check the other axle he sent, and yep, it too had a clamp installed blocking a bolt hole on one end... At this point I thought about the guy who did the rebuilding... Seems to me this is a mistake that you maybe make the first time you rebuild axles. I decided (like a high maintenance moron apparently) that the guy who did the rebuild may not have really known what he was doing.

I have some bad history here - ask me some time about the really crappy rebuilt steering racks probably done by the same guy, but I digress.

At this point I wasn't really sure if the CV joints had been properly serviced, or even if the tech had been sober when he rebuilt the units, so I sent John a message that I was going to return them.

At this point Josh posted that he had units available too. His cost a little more, but he specifically states what is done in his rebuild, and in my experience he tries to go above and beyond - so I ordered his units.

Full disclosure here - I travel a lot with work, and I did not return the axles to John right away. I left town and didn't send them back for 3 weeks. He did have the money, and an extra $400 for the cores in the mean time, and did not even respond to my message about returning them until he was annoyed that they were not back yet... When he asked me to get them out I did ship them within a few days, but he was not happy at all by that point. (" If you don't know or don't remember that I'm a one person operation" - something like that) I did my best there, but it wasn't timely until he asked.

In the meantime, Josh's units came in. Here is one of Josh's (bottom) side by side with a Hervey one (top)...

Josh had a good deal on new hardware as well. I got the new mounting bolts and tabs etc. Josh had dry fit them in advance of shipping so there were no problems with the end caps not lining up, or clamps improperly installed. They are powder coated instead of painted, and they use a synthetic grease.

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/shop/refurbished-axle-set.html

I've installed Josh's axles. They went right in, no problems. After a few days I double checked the mounting bolts to make sure everything was still tight. All looks good, and I even have steel clamps on the boots instead of cable ties (which I've read are fine - but not what I was paying for).

Josh's service has been top notch - he shipped immediately (gasp) and the parts actually worked when they arrived.

It was particularly annoying to have to pay shipping to allow John to send me crap, and then again to send it back. That was about $70 down the drain.

After this experience, coupled with two even worse rounds of steering rack BS (paid for 3 rounds of shipping here to eventually get a second piece of crap rack from John), being told I was lazy and dumb for complaining, I decided I was never again going to spend money with John on anything that wasn't built in a factory. Anything remanufactured, or custom built (read - crappy slave cyl. bleeders) was off the table. I have met John however and I think he's an ok guy. We have 8 years of history and I figured after a month of cooling off I'd place another order to test the waters - or at least to remind him I was still out here and maybe he'd like to send back my $650 odd bucks he was happily sitting on.

After 5 days of waiting to see if he would contact me and ship, I sent a polite and simple inquiry as to if he had noticed the order... After several exchanges where I have really tried to take the high road, it appears I'm on a black list. I sent him a paypal invoice for my refund - I suggested I wouldn't complain about the shipping fees for sending me defective stuff if he wanted to consider dropping the optional 20% restocking fee. He did send most of my money back, but since he did nothing wrong and I severely wasted his time, he thought it best to keep a restocking fee. Since he does mention a restock fee in his policy, and he does not spell out who pays for what when he ships you crap and you have to return it, we'll just have to live with that. He also mentioned that he gave me explicit instructions on how to rotate the clamps using WD40, and that I was unwilling or unable to follow that simple request.

So, I'm officially on a black list I guess, and posting here about the unhappy parts of my experiences with John will only solidify that. It means nothing really because if I ever feel I must get something from him in the future, I can order through any number of friends. Perhaps that's why D1 cross checked VINs on all orders - they were much more efficient with their black list.

So (whining aside) - bottom line on axles - Josh does have a notably better product than even a theorhetical top quality Hervey rebuild on the axles. Are they worth the added cost - yes. Does he communicate well and ship quickly? - Same day. Is the customer service better? Oh my, yes! Will I ever have anything nice to say again about John? Sure. John is John and you learn that by about transaction #2. Most of his stuff is cheap, and some of it is also good. I'd still recommend his fuel pump pickup over stock - (if Houston didn't just build something better). I don't mean to trash the guy, but I'm tired of biting my tongue for fear of pissing him off. That is done, and so am I.

<end drama>

Anyone have any questions I can answer about refurbished axle sets?

Tom

Nicholas R
05-15-2012, 02:47 AM
I wasn't able to see any of your attachments. Not sure if it's me or what.

TTait
05-15-2012, 02:49 AM
I wasn't able to see any of your attachments. Not sure if it's me or what.

fixed, sorry.

Delorean Industries
05-15-2012, 09:18 AM
fixed, sorry.

Glad everything worked out Tom and that you like the axles!

Just a quick note: We only charge a core on engine/transmission/fuel distributor rebuilds at this point. While axle components, flywheels, brakes etc really should have a core charge applied if the originals are not sent in yet. I do this on the honor system and give a reasonable amount of time. I'm completely up front with what your payment method will be charged if not returned on specific components upon purchase. It is too much work to charge and credit etc especially with credit card services and fees. This laid back approach is working great and I'm finding owners are more inclined to return components when not pressured. So until someone screws this up for everyone this will remain our policy! As always we offer refurbishment of your component as well. (IE the same component returned to you)

Restocking fees- Yes it is on every invoice. It is rarely used. This is for the custom order situation etc that can not be restocked.

EDIT- and my invoicing sucks. If you receive an order without an invoice don't worry! I will bill you eventually!

jawn101
05-15-2012, 11:33 AM
EDIT- and my invoicing sucks. If you receive an order without an invoice don't worry! I will bill you eventually!

LOL, I can +1 that statement. And here I was, hoping all my parts were free as a goodwill gesture from our newest vendor.

DCUK Martin
05-15-2012, 01:43 PM
The mark of a good business is the customer service when things go wrong. FYI new CV joints are still being made today.

I'd still recommend his fuel pump pickup over stock

We'll have to agree to disagree there though ;)

ccurzio
05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd heard a few bad things here and there about Hervey's "responsiveness" when it comes to problems on his part and it always made me a bit wary to deal with him in a business setting. He has always been willing to be helpful with technical questions over the phone, but I've always been a little put-off by a lot of his trash-talking toward his competition (as true as his facts may or not actually be) because it seems to have an air of unprofessionalism.

Then I did business with him and got burned. I ordered his really nice tune-up kit with the silicon wires and the platinum +4 plugs. After waiting about a week with no sign of my order showing up, I rang him and asked what the deal was. He told me that he was out of the spark plugs and was waiting for some more to come in. I was annoyed that he couldn't have sent me any kind of quick note or called to let me know there was a delay, but he said he'd make it up to me by sending out my kit with the cheaper Champion spark plugs, and when he got his +4s in he'd go ahead and send them my way.

I paid for, and to this day never saw those plugs. I called him and left him more than one message and sent emails asking what the status was, and never heard back.

I understand the guy is a "one man operation", but that's not an acceptable long-term excuse for bad business. If you have too much work for one person to effectively manage, hire help. If you can't manage your business and you can't (or won't) hire help, sell the business or close up shop. Don't continue down the same road that alienates your customers.

I've got no personal beef with John at all. As I've said, the times I've been able to chat with him he's been generous with his time and helpful. It's his business practices that I find unacceptable, and I'm certainly not the only one.

I've not (yet) had the opportunity to personally do business with Josh but when it comes to his business I hear only the exact opposite - he is highly recommended because he consistently provides nothing but the highest quality work and superior support and service. I'm very much looking forward to letting him work on my car at some point.

sdg3205
05-15-2012, 02:15 PM
For over a year now I've bit my tongue when it comes to John. I've tried to deal with him on a few occasions but he's made me feel like an idiot every time. Perhaps something is "lost in translation" over email, I don't know, but no customer should ever feel like that. I've never met John in person, but I've heard good things and I hope they're true.

In 2010 I ordered a engine light switch. I didn't want another DMC switch that would inevitable fall apart so I ordered John's reasonably priced unit. What I received from John... I can only explain it as though I thought it was a joke. It was mangled to hell, like someone had stuck it on a grinder, on every side just cutting away plastic. The top of the switch was broken off. It was like he took it out of the garbage and sold it to me. I've never felt so ripped off in my life. I honestly thought there must have been 2 on his table (one new and one toast) and he accidentally picked up the wrong one. When I contacted John, I included the best pictures I could so he'd know I wasn't making the story up. He responded by saying the pictures were to terrible to tell. I sent him more. Again, he "couldn't tell by the pictures" what I was talking about. I wasn't about to take a $12 switch to a professional photographer. He said I could have a credit, not "sorry for selling you a turd." It's a get out of jail free card for some people because they've got your money and know you wont be back anyway, and I wont. I gave it another try last year when I had a few emails with him about my A/C as I was inquiring about his kits, very similar experience.

Again, people rave about John, and that's great. I hope he's a better guy in person then his emails and online customer service let on.

End of airing of grievances.

Grover
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
+1 :thumbup2: I can say that it was great not to be charged a core fee and to be able to ship the items back when I had the time to do it vs. being hassled and having someone hold my money. Also, the fact that you can get your specific component rebuilt is great as well! (I didn't want to exchange the motor heads, so I sent mine in and they were serviced instead of someone else's core). At the same time, I did an exchange on the air meter and that was just as simple and easy (and looks GREAT compared to an old and tired one).

Based upon my own experience, Josh has been nothing but great when it comes to customer services and is more than willing/quickly about resolving any issues that may arise. I too have had my share fair of experiences from certain other vendors, which have led me to not buying any products anymore from who/where the business may be. Good customer service is something that I am willing to pay extra for/focus my business towards for the peace of mind of not having to stress about a return/problem.

Another great thing about DPI is that when ordering or questioning about other part options, true opinions/real world observations about the product are communicated. While these parts may cost more or have a higher profit margin, I am still recommended what the BEST option is (usually Stock component or similar, not New and Improved). That information by itself is valuable to me as well.

Glad everything worked out Tom and that you like the axles!

Just a quick note: We only charge a core on engine/transmission/fuel distributor rebuilds at this point. While axle components, flywheels, brakes etc really should have a core charge applied if the originals are not sent in yet. I do this on the honor system and give a reasonable amount of time. I'm completely up front with what your payment method will be charged if not returned on specific components upon purchase. It is too much work to charge and credit etc especially with credit card services and fees. This laid back approach is working great and I'm finding owners are more inclined to return components when not pressured. So until someone screws this up for everyone this will remain our policy! As always we offer refurbishment of your component as well. (IE the same component returned to you)

Restocking fees- Yes it is on every invoice. It is rarely used. This is for the custom order situation etc that can not be restocked.

opethmike
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
+1

Add to this that during my Spec 2 home build that Josh would answer phone calls from me at 10 PM and stay on the phone for an hour or two working with me, and you have the most customer service oriented customer in the business, in my book.

+1 :thumbup2: I can say that it was great not to be charged a core fee and to be able to ship the items back when I had the time to do it vs. being hassled and having someone hold my money. Also, the fact that you can get your specific component rebuilt is great as well! (I didn't want to exchange the motor heads, so I sent mine in and they were serviced instead of someone else's core). At the same time, I did an exchange on the air meter and that was just as simple and easy (and looks GREAT compared to an old and tired one).

Based upon my own experience, Josh has been nothing but great when it comes to customer services and is more than willing/quickly about resolving any issues that may arise. I too have had my share fair of experiences from certain other vendors, which have led me to not buying any products anymore from who/where the business may be. Good customer service is something that I am willing to pay extra for/focus my business towards for the peace of mind of not having to stress about a return/problem.

Another great thing about DPI is that when ordering or questioning about other part options, true opinions/real world observations about the product are communicated. While these parts may cost more or have a higher profit margin, I am still recommended what the BEST option is (usually Stock component or similar, not New and Improved). That information by itself is valuable to me as well.

dmc6960
05-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the club everyone!

Yes, a "one man shop" is NO excuse for bad business practices. As such (my burn date was June 2006) I also no longer do business with him. I've also been almost shocked by his attitude lately on the DML, and very recently he just told off a friend of mine trying to get some parts and information. I've f*cked around for hours on two separate cars trying to install his distributor caps which the owners bought that fall apart and dont seat properly. My caravan back from Chicago in '06 was stopped on the freeway for an hour until we discovered an O-ring he sold someone was NOT gas compatible. And since '06 my air conditioner has gone without any high-pressure cutoff (switch or release valve) because of a not-completely-thought-out system sold to me. After my ordeal he started selling the finished product.

DMC, Grady, and DPI folks.

Rich W
05-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Hey Jim,

Since this started as an axle thread, I thought I would check with you to see how your axles are doing.

IIRC, we ended up using a spare axle that I had from a previously damaged car to replace a few parts
in one of your axles, that we identified had a torn axle boot at one of Dave Swingle's Tech Weekends
(before he went Pro, as he says). Again, IIRC, the boot had not been torn too long (by our guesses)
but a few pieces were a little more rusty (and/or pitted) then they should have been.

Just wondering if the replacement axle (CV joint) parts are still doing their job.

Later,
Rich W.

Delorean Industries
05-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Thank you for the kind words everyone!

dmc6960
05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Hey Jim,

Since this started as an axle thread, I thought I would check with you to see how your axles are doing.

Yes, the CV joint I got from you is still doing great. As is the other one on the same axle we reworked. 2 years ago I did have another CV on the other axle go bad, but not nearly as horrible as what I drove into Dave's garage. It lost the small clamp for the boot but the boot never tore. Over time it went un-noticed since the boot was still intact, but lost all its grease and had moisture penetration, gigity. I replaced it with a good condition used unit I bought from DMCMW and replaced both boots on that axle.

I believe Dave still has that bad CV joint of mine on display and uses it as an example anyone questioning why the boots need to be worked.

Good to know Martin that the CV joints are still being made. I wasn't too sure about that since we cannot get them new over here in the states.

Nicholas R
05-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are options for stronger CV joints?

jawn101
05-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if there are options for stronger CV joints?

Gosh, I wonder why you ask :lol:

Delorean Industries
05-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Gosh, I wonder why you ask :lol:

Yes there is. I will dig up the company that makes four point universal joints for drag cars with transaxles. The name skips my mind....

Rich W
05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Hi Nicholas,

IIRC, the 3-Rotor engine swap DeLorean (engine from a Canadian Mazda Cosmos) was using modified Porsche axles and CV joints.

However, the angles at the CV joints were less than optimum, so there was thought of possible further customizing needed.

Vehicle was sold before the next round of mods were made.

Later,
Rich W.

Nicholas R
05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi Nicholas,

IIRC, the 3-Rotor engine swap DeLorean (engine from a Canadian Mazda Cosmos) was using modified Porsche axles and CV joints.

However, the angles at the CV joints were less than optimum, so there was thought of possible further customizing needed.

Vehicle was sold before the next round of mods were made.

Later,
Rich W.

Hmmm... well the angle of my CV joints isn't terrible. In doing the auto to manual swap I discovered that the auto transmission axle flanges are already ~2" more forward than the manuals (because of the deeper auto bellhousing for the torque converter), which is why I knew I could safely move the manual transmission 2" forward. Still that doesn't mean I like driving with them at an angle. They're still 30 year old originals that as far as I know have ever been greased twice. Once in 2002, then again last fall. CV joint failure is certainly on my list of things to avoid...

Yes there is. I will dig up the company that makes four point universal joints for drag cars with transaxles. The name skips my mind....

Thanks!

ramblinmike
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Hmmm... well the angle of my CV joints isn't terrible. In doing the auto to manual swap I discovered that the auto transmission axle flanges are already ~2" more forward than the manuals (because of the deeper auto bellhousing for the torque converter), which is why I knew I could safely move the manual transmission 2" forward. Still that doesn't mean I like driving with them at an angle. They're still 30 year old originals that as far as I know have ever been greased twice. Once in 2002, then again last fall. CV joint failure is certainly on my list of things to avoid...

I don't mean to keep diverting this thread but that was the first thing I thought when I saw your blog pics. Torque + CV angle = scary!

DCUK Martin
05-17-2012, 03:29 PM

You don't need any. The smaller joint below ours is good for 400+hp. The production cars that used our CV joints are very powerful.

Nicholas R
05-18-2012, 01:47 AM
You don't need any. The smaller joint below ours is good for 400+hp. The production cars that used our CV joints are very powerful.

Thanks, that actually makes me feel a little better :)