PDA

View Full Version : The DeLorean/Consolidated International connection...

DMCH James
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Here's a fairly accurate account of that connection...

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/05/17/when-delorean-moved-to-columbus/

Dangermouse
05-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Fascinating.

So the 20xxx series cars were in fact built (i.e assembled) in OH?

82DMC12
05-17-2012, 11:17 AM
James, do you have records as to which vin #s were sold by consolidated? I've always wondered if mine, 11596 was sold by consolidated or a dealer. When I pulled my seats out for recovering I found a business card for a consolidated employee underneath. I guess I assumed it came over to the US and was sold by consolidated.... But how or where, I don't know. I also have to black undercoating on mine if that helps narrow the time frame.

Kukem
Thanks for posting that, James. I had no idea about any of that either.

DMCH James
Fascinating.

So the 20xxx series cars were in fact built (i.e assembled) in OH?

No, that's one of the inaccurate parts...the 20XXX cars were the cars partially assembled on the line that were completed in Dunmurry in late 1982.

The car given the final VIN, 2015, is actually a much earlier production car that for reasons unexplained was left at the factory and shipped to Ohio, then given the "spare" set of gold panels/part kept on hand for the AMEX cars.

James

Dangermouse
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
No, that's one of the inaccurate parts...the 20XXX cars were the cars partially assembled on the line that were completed in Dunmurry in late 1982.

The car given the final VIN, 2015, is actually a much earlier production car that for reasons unexplained was left at the factory and shipped to Ohio, then given the "spare" set of gold panels/part kept on hand for the AMEX cars.

James

OK, that's what I had previously thought.

So 20105 was shipped with SS panels and then had them replaced in OH with the excess gold ones?

Was the car being raffled at the Big Lots store then 20104?

DMCH James
05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
James, do you have records as to which vin #s were sold by consolidated? I've always wondered if mine, 11596 was sold by consolidated or a dealer. When I pulled my seats out for recovering I found a business card for a consolidated employee underneath. I guess I assumed it came over to the US and was sold by consolidated.... But how or where, I don't know. I also have to black undercoating on mine if that helps narrow the time frame.

I contacted Consolidated in the mid-90s looking for that info when I was trying to sort out the VIN # mess and they said all those files were destroyed in the late 80s.

We have a list of the cars that were reported to DMC by selling dealers that goes to Feb 83. Presumably, cars not on that list were either sold by the dealers after DMC folded, or in the case of the 15xxx, 16xxx, 17xxx and 20xxx cars, sold by Consolidated. I would think the late VIN of your car, and the Consolidated business card (who's name on it, btw?) would indicate that it was most likely either sold by Consolidated to a retail customer or sold by Consolidated to a dealer for retail sale.

James

DMCH James
05-17-2012, 11:30 AM
OK, that's what I had previously thought.

So 20105 was shipped with SS panels and then had them replaced in OH with the excess gold ones?

Was the car being raffled at the Big Lots store then 20104?

20105 may or may not have been 20105 when it came to Ohio. The pontoons are coarse, and the frame #is 2155. When/where the VIN was changed/added isn't clear. Leif Montin talks about it in the interview posted (in five parts) on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RHq0hbo4MI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZM4P89fohc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKhsHn8hVj8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwOE-pGwo64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsIQcOz4_So

It was the car raffled off by Big Lots, and the original buyer of VIN 20104 clearly recalls getting letters from the eventual buyers of 20105 (when the raffle winner sold it) about who's car was actually "last".

James

Iznodmad
05-17-2012, 11:46 AM
I know for a fact that my #16128 was sold by Consolidated. I have copies and pics of the original title to prove it. It was sold to the original owner in April of 1984. She claims it was one of the last 5 cars they had for sale. Her and 4 of her friends went that day in April of 1984 and they each purchased a car. The other 4 paid to have their cars painted and she left hers stainless. I guess I can say that I own the last stainless car sold by Consolidated/KAPAC. Too bad I don't have a way to prove that story, but that sure is an elaborate story for a woman in her 80s to make up.

Dangermouse
05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
20105 may or may not have been 20105 when it came to Ohio. The pontoons are coarse, and the frame #is 2155. When/where the VIN was changed/added isn't clear.

James

Wouldn't you love to remove the rear fascia and see what's written on the end of the frame :)

Was there ever a bill-of-lading found from Consolidate or the shipping firm, listing the VINs that went to Consolidated. Was the fire you mention the one at the factory, or one at Consolidated?

DMCH James
05-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Wouldn't you love to remove the rear fascia and see what's written on the end of the frame :)

Was there ever a bill-of-lading found from Consolidate or the shipping firm, listing the VINs that went to Consolidated. Was the fire you mention the one at the factory, or one at Consolidated?

I'm sure there was, but it's not turned up if it still exists. I have a list of cars that were at the port in Long Beach when they were transferred from DMC to Consolidated in late 1982.

I haven't said anything (in this thread) about a fire - what are you referring to?

James

DMCH James
05-17-2012, 12:28 PM

I would hope that whomever buys this car from the current owner will do that, or allow it to happen.

James

Dangermouse
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Sorry, in post 7, you said the files were destroyed in the late 80s, and I added "in a fire" in my head for some reason. Wasn't there a fire at Dunmurry that destroyed some records iirc, and I must have blended stories.

Chris Burns
05-17-2012, 10:28 PM
I love the picture from that article of the woman filling out the ticket for the raffle drawing.:tongue:

Looks like the gold plated Delorean VIN 20105. Pic was taken in 1985.

Domi
05-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for posting that link :)

nick sutton
05-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Sorry, in post 7, you said the files were destroyed in the late 80s, and I added "in a fire" in my head for some reason. Wasn't there a fire at Dunmurry that destroyed some records iirc, and I must have blended stories.
The only fire at the factory was on 5th May 1981, early morning of the day Bobby Sands died.The Portacabin (200 x 50 feet) was burned to the ground destoying personnel records, engineering drawings and quality files.The personnel records were repeated - that's the reason why an employees badge is dated May/June 1981 (if he/she was employed at that time).
Nick

DMCH James
05-19-2012, 11:10 AM
The only fire at the factory was on 5th May 1981, early morning of the day Bobby Sands died.The Portacabin (200 x 50 feet) was burned to the ground destoying personnel records, engineering drawings and quality files.The personnel records were repeated - that's the reason why an employees badge is dated May/June 1981 (if he/she was employed at that time).
Nick

Wondered why your name badge had a May 1981 date on it...

James

82DMC12
05-19-2012, 11:37 AM
I contacted Consolidated in the mid-90s looking for that info when I was trying to sort out the VIN # mess and they said all those files were destroyed in the late 80s.

We have a list of the cars that were reported to DMC by selling dealers that goes to Feb 83. Presumably, cars not on that list were either sold by the dealers after DMC folded, or in the case of the 15xxx, 16xxx, 17xxx and 20xxx cars, sold by Consolidated. I would think the late VIN of your car, and the Consolidated business card (who's name on it, btw?) would indicate that it was most likely either sold by Consolidated to a retail customer or sold by Consolidated to a dealer for retail sale.

James

James, here is what I found. The top tag was probably for a spare key.
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fae5e4-be17-7b81.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fae5e4-be27-dd41.jpg

Andy