PDA

View Full Version : Engine Intake manifold bolts

opethmike
06-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Looked around, but couldn't find an answer readily - what is the torque for the 4 intake manifold bolts supposed to be?

jmettee
06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
From memory, it's pretty low...I believe 7 to 11 ft-lb. Hopefully someone will confirm.

Ozzie
06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah, confirmed. That's the range for the M7s which are there.

opethmike
06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Cool, thanks guys. Tracking down a possible vacuum leak in my EFI conversion, so one of the things I'll be checking is that the intake is down tight enough.

Ozzie
06-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah, while in there, check that the rubber o-rings are well seated in the grooves and that they aren't flattened too much w/o any compression on them.

Also note that the machining tolerances aren't too forgiving on the block to intake interface. That is, if the manifold or the the heads are shaved too much or if the manifold's intake face is not within tolerances, the geometry of the flat to flat of the intake bottom to the heads' intake plane will not be parallel surfaces - thus you need to use nice new fat o-rings.

dmc6960
06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Let me add this to the possibilities...

I had to get new bolts for my intake manifold. The stock ones were not long enough. The Z7U manifold is thicker where the bolts go through, so they will start to grab the top of the engine threads, but not much more.

I don't think I ever mentioned that in my old engine thread.

opethmike
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Let me add this to the possibilities...

I had to get new bolts for my intake manifold. The stock ones were not long enough. The Z7U manifold is thicker where the bolts go through, so they will start to grab the top of the engine threads, but not much more.

I don't think I ever mentioned that in my old engine thread.

Yeah, I found that out real quick. I did indeed pick up new bolts.