PDA

View Full Version : Side Stripe Variations

SoCalDMC12
06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Howdy Folks,

Now that I have the side stripe template I have started messing around with changes to the graphics in an attempt to make my stripes a little different. The goal was to keep the updates very subtle/stock looking, with the exception of the one that incorporates my VIN in the "Rustproof" font that's been floating around (#5 is the stock design).

Any thoughts on the attached comps? I might still go with repro stock stripes, but figured I'd go through this exercise...

GS450-Junkie
06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
I like #5 the best.

SoCalDMC12
06-22-2011, 07:19 PM
#5 is what I ended up using (it's the stock design).

The template seemed pretty simple, so rather than having a sign maker cut the pattern, I just bought some adhesive vinyl and cut the side stripes myself. It's time consuming, but not difficult. Plus, at about $40 for the material, I wouldn't feel bad about peeling these off if I want to try some other design, color, or texture.

There are a few flaws but they're so small that I doubt anyone will notice besides me, even up close.

Ashyukun
06-22-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm kind of interested in how this works out... it may play into something I'm going to be experimenting with myself in the next few weeks. :)

SoCalDMC12
06-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Well, the side stripes went on fine. I'm a little concerned that the thin portions in the DMC logo may come off, but only time will tell. (I'm letting the vinyl cure for a few days before washing the car.)

Note:
- Some of the line work in the DMC logo looks a little off in the digital file. Easy to fix in Adobe Illustrator, or you can just compensate when cutting the templates.

- I used the "wet application method", which allows you to move the material around a bit to line things up properly. (There are a lot of youtube videos out there, if you've never done it.)

Good luck!

Roman Legion
06-23-2011, 04:49 AM
I aim to put one on mine, but I would have liked to see a combination of #4 and #5 VIN under a small DMC logo..

SoCalDMC12
06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
One reason I decided not to do #4: The "hole" in the number "6" would be a very small piece of vinyl, and likely to come off eventually.

Stacking the VIN and logo would result in really small graphics, which would be hard to cut out, and probably less durable. Though I suppose you could overlay some clear vinyl for protection.

Note that when viewed on the computer, it seemed like you have lots of vertical space to play with. But when seen in actual size, you'll see that this isn't the case if you want the graphics to be legible (people's eyes will usually be no less than ~5 ft. away when viewing the graphics).

Masaes727
06-27-2011, 11:18 PM
my vin in the left rear portion of the side stripe.

SoCalDMC12
06-28-2011, 10:44 PM
my vin in the left rear portion of the side stripe.

Neat. So no problems with that small black piece in the middle of the "0" coming off?

Masaes727
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
no problems at all. I don't exactly mess with it much and cleaning the area is not a problem either.

SoCalDMC12
06-28-2011, 11:08 PM
no problems at all. I don't exactly mess with it much and cleaning the area is not a problem either.

Cool, and good to know. Last weekend I washed my car for the first time after applying the vinyl. Nothing came loose, though I did notice some air bubbles formed. Not a big deal, though.

jmrydholm
06-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I also like #5