PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Undercarriage, interior, trunk/engine compartment coating

1batt4u
06-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi all,

What have you guys done, or recommend to coat for protection and noise reduction, th eundercarriage, interior, tunr and engine compartments?

Thank you!

1batt4u
06-15-2011, 01:55 AM
I googled around, a bunch recommended POR-15, any good??

Chris 16409
06-15-2011, 02:31 AM
POR-15 seems to everybody's drug of choice when it comes these types of repairs.

David T
06-15-2011, 10:05 AM
POR-15 is a good product. There are other similar products too. It is still a good idea (even though the stuff says it's not required) to remove as much loose paint and rust as you can before applying. After using it you can cover it up with Krylon Smoke Grey spray paint. It is a good match to the original epoxy for color. This is for the frame only. Some owners have used Dynamat in the doors and under the carpet for noise and heat control. Be careful and don't go overboard with the stuff, it can add a lot of weight. For the fiberglass in the trunk and engine compartment many have used a flat black spray paint.
David Teitelbaum

1batt4u
06-15-2011, 01:10 PM
I was thinking POR-15 for just the fiberglass part of the underbody, not the metal part, for protection and some noise reduction. What you all think?

nullset
06-15-2011, 02:30 PM
I was thinking POR-15 for just the fiberglass part of the underbody, not the metal part, for protection and some noise reduction. What you all think?

POR-15 is for metal, not fiberglass. It also has nothing to do with noise reduction.

1batt4u
06-15-2011, 03:37 PM
So what do you guys recommend for the underbody fiberglass part?

dmc6960
06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Nothing. Spraying a sound deadener on the underbody will be asking for problems with all your fasteners. Instead use some strategically placed dynamat extreme under the carpets.

Chris 16409
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
What is everyone using to replace the deteriorating rubber sound insulation under the parcel shelf carpet? I heard dynamat is not thick enough, and is lower than the wood access covers on either side.

outatym2001
06-16-2011, 02:32 AM
What is everyone using to replace the deteriorating rubber sound insulation under the parcel shelf carpet? I heard dynamat is not thick enough, and is lower than the wood access covers on either side.

My guess you haven’t seen John Hervey’s web site. It’s what I have installed in my D. It’s all the parts you need and it fills in the Parcel Shelf behind the seats nicely.
Please see DeLorean Sound Proofing Insulation half way down this page.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/accessories.html

I use eDead120 for sound proofing in many places inside my D like on top of the rear wheel wells and the space just to the rear of the rear wheels and both sides of the center tunnel area.
I mention eDead120 in this thread of mine.
My Favorite DeLorean Web Sites Part II of II.
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?198-My-Favorite-DeLorean-Web-Sites-Part-II-of-II.

1batt4u
06-16-2011, 12:37 PM
My guess you haven’t seen John Hervey’s web site. It’s what I have installed in my D. It’s all the parts you need and it fills in the Parcel Shelf behind the seats nicely.
Please see DeLorean Sound Proofing Insulation half way down this page.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/accessories.html

I use eDead120 for sound proofing in many places inside my D like on top of the rear wheel wells and the space just to the rear of the rear wheels and both sides of the center tunnel area.
I mention eDead120 in this thread of mine.
My Favorite DeLorean Web Sites Part II of II.
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?198-My-Favorite-DeLorean-Web-Sites-Part-II-of-II.

Wow Thanx!!! Alot of usefull info that I will need!!!

Question, what is the difference between, SEM 39143 and SEM 39103?? other than one is for trim and the other for bumpers.

Thank you again!!

Chris 16409
06-16-2011, 01:09 PM

I have noticed the insulation that Hervey sells on his site. I didn't bring it up because I wanted to see if someone else liked it enough to recommend it. I only want the piece for the parcel shelf. I wonder if he'll sell individual pieces?

outatym2001
06-17-2011, 02:18 AM
Question, what is the difference between, SEM 39143 and SEM 39103?? other than one is for trim and the other for bumpers.

Thank you again!!

Front of rattle can of SEM 39103. BUMPER COATER. Renews Original Bumper Appearance.
Sticker on the black cap says, 39103 Flexible Bumper Coater.
Backside of rattle can.
BUMPER COATER is a unique single component coating designed for easy reconditioning of most plastic bumpers. The low sheen has been formulated to match the OEM gloss and color.
APPLICATION
For best results use only when can temperature is approximately 70 F.
1. Clean surfaces thoroughly with 3835( ) PLASTIC/LEATHER PREP or 38464WORLD CLASS VINYL/PLASTIC PREP. Sand with 400 grit.
2. Hold can approximately 6-8” from surface. Use steady, even strokes. Allow 5-10 minutes between coats.
3. After each use, turn can upside down and spray several seconds to clear head.
Note: DO NOT rush to install the part. BUMPER COATER adhesion improves with time. Full hardness obtained in 48 hours.

Front of rattle can of SEM 39143. TRIM BLACK. Matches factory finish on many automotive exterior trim components.
No sticker on cap.
Backside of rattle can.
39143 TRIM BLACK is formulated to match the OEM finish on many automotive exterior trim components. 39143 is designed for maximum adhesion on properly prepared surfaces without the use of a primer.
APPLICATION
For best results use only when can temperature is approximately 70 F.
1. Clean surface with 3837( ) SEM SOLVE. Remove loose paint and sand with 400 grit sand paper.
2. Apply 2-3 medium wet coats, allowing 3-5 minutes flash time between coats.
3. DO NOT stick pin or other object into can.
Note: Do not rush to install part. Adhesion of 39143 improves with time. Full hardness is obtained in 48 hours.

In my opinion there is no visual difference in the two different black paints.
Your results will vary if you paint outside in the direct sunlight on a very, very hot day as opposed to painting indoors when the air temperature is 70F. Also the final appearance will depend on how far away you hold the can from the trim parts.

I’m disappointed now two years later and I see many nicks (from tiny rocks) in my black front bumper on either side of the license plate. I really don’t feel like painting this section over again every two years.

1batt4u
06-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Cool!! Thank you so much for all this info!!!!

Fluxat88MPH
06-18-2011, 10:15 AM
POR-15 is for metal, not fiberglass. It also has nothing to do with noise reduction.

Its for fiberglass as well but like you said not a sound deadener.

1batt4u
06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Its for fiberglass as well but like you said not a sound deadener.

Cool!! I would consider putting it on the fiberglass for some protection, and a slight shine!!

Thanx!!

BTW I am going to message you, have a few questions. I am getting my car together need some info!! :-)

1batt4u
06-18-2011, 06:04 PM
http://www.por15.com/faq.asp

Bottom of page:

"CAN POR-15 BE USED WITH FIBERGLASS?
Absolutely. POR-15 is fully compatible with fiberglass and can be used to repair cracks in gelcoat. It will adhere better than polyester resin and has greater strength. Use also with fiberglass cloth to make super-strong surfaces in rusted-out areas. But be aware that POR-15 doesn't contain styrene and thus cannot melt fiberglass cloth like polyester resin does."