PDA

View Full Version : Working on a New DeLorean Model.

Karin
05-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Well, I've got my inspiration back up again, but only because I am hoping to make money out of modelling stuff using 3D Studio Max someday. I finally concluded that will have to suffice after I lost my last job a couple weeks ago. So, yeah, my first model will be another DeLorean from step 1, start to finish, I hope. I will have to find pictures so when I get around to building the stuff on the inside, although I haven't found good photos. I will look here for reference on how to model the engine, for example. I am not going to take chances this time; I am gonna save two .max files and save frequently between them in case another blackout happens and kills one of them. The other reason I started again is I don't want my skills with 3D Studio Max from college go to waste. I hope I can remember how to flatten out each image to apply the correct textures to.

So, here's the start for everything. I will turn this topic into a journal of my progress, but due to real life stuff and if I am in the mood or not, I won't be at it every single day.

The dark gray you see will be the hood. On my first model, I had both the hood and the front sides together, but I am sure it will work better if they are separated.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x383/Kamoodle5/DeLoreanRender2.jpg

Squall67584
05-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Cool! Where did you find those orthographic images of the DeLorean? I drew a simple 2D one in my intro to autoCAD class a few years back and was thinking of drawing one in Inventor while I look for a job. Looks great, and can't wait to see it come together.

Karin
05-22-2012, 08:59 PM
http://www.the-blueprints.com/search/delorean/

:rock_on:

I actually combined one of the sides of the DeLorean (the top of it) with the rest of it since that blueprint only had three sides. I hope I can work it out.

dvonk
05-23-2012, 11:42 AM
neat project, ill be interested in seeing your progress! :thumbup:

Knoxville
05-25-2012, 05:05 AM
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x383/Kamoodle5/DeLoreanRender2.jpg

Why did you use the prototype DeLorean for the "from above" view? :headscratch:

Karin
05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I just found it's not going to work so I am working with all of those other blueprints that includes the top view (the one you said is the prototype). I believe it is because since there is less detail, it'd be easier for me to deal with it while I build my models.

I do wish the other blueprint plans had a top view.

thirdmanj
05-25-2012, 02:45 PM
What's this for? If I may ask. Are you a grafics designer?

Karin
05-26-2012, 12:42 AM
What's this for? If I may ask. Are you a grafics designer?

I'd like to hope for a career. After I graduated two years ago, I took a few more classes under the gaming department in Houston Community College, most of which were modelling, and I enjoyed that stuff a lot. During that period of attending those classes, I wanted to try to model a DeLorean but with my lack of skills in 3D Studio Max at the time, everything I tried didn't seem to work. I took a look at those car modelling tutorials online, and yet those tutorials were indeed for people with at least intermediate levels in any of the modelling programs. Some people have designed cars in 3D Studio Max, some in Rhino, some in Maya. The video I posted of that person showing a small movie of his DeLorean gradually being built part by part, that was done in Blender.

Besides, I need to make good use out of my three-year student warranty I have with my 3D Studio Max and I am done with college. I need to make a life of myself now. :D

Karin
05-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Days gone by, it seems to be doing well so far. Hood, windshield, and the rim around the windshield are done. After watching that video, I want to make the frame and the underbody underneath all of this.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x383/Kamoodle5/DeLoreanRender3.jpg

EDIT: Just found out the rim around the windshield is part of the underbody. Also, I am looking at both the pictures of the underbody and the frame but none seem to spark my interest on what to use for my project. If anyone can find me pictures of them from the top, the side, the front, and the rear, that'd be great.

Evildeli
05-31-2012, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure if you are aware that your blueprints are mismatched. You have your top down of Proto 1. In the last pic with your hood I can see a side shot with sliding windows instead of the tool booth. I'm not gonna post my delorean model again since I think you've seen it already, and it's an old model now, but it's on my personal site if you still wanna reference it. I think getting the correct blueprints will really help you be consistent. You don't wanna mash Proto with an 81 and 83. It's already happening. Your groove lines are too long. Groove lines do no go to the edge. Also from what I can see you've made the top of the A frame/window frame too small. The visible A frame is only about 1 inch wide, while the top is about 3-4. But as you've already concluded they are part of the frame(kinda). keep it up and keep posting. I wanna see more.

Karin
05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
This is already sounding like it's gonna be too much for me again since I can't find the perfect picture of the frame nor the underbody