PDA

View Full Version : How do I wrote English? A basic primer.

ccurzio
05-23-2012, 09:00 AM
I love our community. Seriously. The amount of knowledge and ability here never fails to amaze me on an almost daily basis. Most everyone here is very friendly and willing to provide whatever they can offer, and that's great. What's not great? Some of the atrocious spelling and grammar I see strewn about the forums. It makes me stabby when I see a really informative post conveyed with some really bad English. So in the spirit of giving, I offer the following first-grade English lesson.

NUMBER ONE OFFENDER: Your/You're. Oh god please make it stop. I'm going to beat you clowns with a sausage until you get it right.

Your: A possessive. Always. As in, "Where's your Flux Capacitor?"
You're: A contraction of "you are". Always. As in, "If you want to go fast in that car, you're going to need a new engine."

Protip: If you replace the word in question with "you are" and your sentence no longer makes sense, you're using the wrong word.

NUMBER TWO OFFENDER: Their/They're/There. Similar to the Your/You're fiasco, this also deserves sausage beating. In this case I'm also going to grind up the sausage and cram it down your pants. Then I'm going to put a dead fish in the back of your car.

Their: A possessive. Always. As in, "When did they get their cars get back from DPI?"
They're: A contraction of "They Are". Always. As in, "They're all going to the next SEDOC Tech Day."
There: Everything else. Usually refers to a place, but can also refer to more ambiguous ideas. As in "I keep my 10mm socket in the drawer over there." or "There is a dead fish in the back of my car. How did it get there?"

Protip: If you replace the word in question with "they are" and your sentence no longer makes sense, you're using the wrong word. If after that, you determine that the word you're using is "there" and the word that follows it is a noun, you're still using the wrong word.

NUMBER THREE OFFENDER: Apostrophe misuse. This is a more general problem since it rears its ugly head when your ugly face makes all kinds of different mistakes. Now I set you, your car, the sausage and the fish on fire.

It's: A contraction of "it is" or "it has". As in, "I'm replacing the fuel pump in my DeLorean with the new combo unit from DMCH. It's really nice because it's got an integrated sender."
Its: A possessive. Always. As in, "My angle drive is busted because its gears are completely stripped."
Pluralization: You never ever ever ever ever use an apostrophe to pluralize a word. Ever. These are all incorrect: "I love my car's."; "My relay's are all bad."; "How many DMC's went to DCS?"; "How many DCS's have there been?" No. Wrong. The plural of "car" is "cars". The plural of "relay" is "relays". The plural of "DMC" is "DMCs". The plural of "DCS" is "DCSes".
Abbreviation: Proper apostrophe usage also includes their use as an abbreviation. The most common abbreviation usage is, as previously discussed, in conjunctions ("you're" to shorten "you are", "they're" to shorten "they are", "you'll" to shorten "you will", etc.). You can, however, use them to replace things in an understood context. For example, you can abbreviate 1980s as '80s. (You'll notice that I didn't say 1980's. That's because that is incorrect, unless you're referring to something specifically owned by 1980 as in "1980's Top 40". Likewise, the Top 40 for 1981 would be "1981's Top 40".)

MISCELLANEOUS:

Who's/Whose: More often than not, I see "who's" used as a possessive, as in "Who's wrench is this?" This would seem to make sense because an apostrophe followed by an "s" is used to indicate possession as in "That is Chris's wrench." But "who's" as a possessive is incorrect. It should be "Whose wrench is this?", as the word "whose" (like "your") is an indicator of possession. The appropriate use of "who's" is as a contraction of "who is" or "who has"? As in, "Who's going to DCS?" or "Who's got a spare passenger door lock solenoid?"

Protip: If you replace the word in question with "who is" and then "who has" and your sentence no longer makes sense in either case, you're using the wrong word.

A lot/Allot/Alot: "Alot" is not a word. Period. "Allot" means "to allocate" or "to distribute" as in, "I'm going to allot the majority of DCS raffle tickets to the owner of VIN 5311." Finally, "a lot" means "several" as in, "There are a lot of people who use bad grammar!"

Lose/Loose: The word "lose" means either the opposite of "win", or "to misplace". As in, "How will you kill yourself if you lose the DCS raffle?" or "How did you lose your coolant tank cap?" The word "loose" means "not tight". Always. As in, "I guess my coolant tank cap came loose somehow."

Wierd: This is not a word. Period. It's spelled "weird".

Then/Than: It seems "than" is rapidly being forgotten by most internet users as having ever existed. The word "then" is used for time progression, as in "I'm going to get in my DeLorean and then I'm going to drive it." The word "than" is used in comparisons, as in "The DMC-12's PRV6 has more power than a Reliant Robin." They are not interchangeable.

There. Please also note that I've pre-empted you nitpickers who are about to reply with "This isn't English class!" by providing an English class. Eat that, suckers.

Spittybug
05-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the English lesson. Coffee pot run out this morning? I wonder how many people will feel the need to now crawl all over your posts and dissect them.................:grouphugg:

Michael
05-23-2012, 09:22 AM
It must feel good to be so much better than everyone else.

For some people here, dyslexia is a problem and a bitch. For others, English is not their primary language, so why don't you just overlook it?

ccurzio
05-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the English lesson. Coffee pot run out this morning? I wonder how many people will feel the need to now crawl all over your posts and dissect them.................:grouphugg:

I welcome it! :)

It must feel good to be so much better than everyone else.

For some people here, dyslexia is a problem and a bitch. For others, English is not their primary language, so why don't you just overlook it?

It feels great. I suspect you feel similar since you list every single one of your car's upgrade specs and accessories in big bold letters in every single one of your posts. :D

As for the people for whom English is not their native language, you'll notice I didn't bash sentence structure or anything like that. What's even more sad is that the people who learned English after learning their first language usually don't make the errors I pointed out. They do better at these things than a great many native English speakers. As for dyslexia, I'm no doctor so I don't know how it could specifically manifest itself in these circumstances, but at least in the cases of bad spelling, dyslexia doesn't prevent you from seeing a red squiggle under a misspelled word. (Additionally, I do know people for whom dyslexia does affect their reading comprehension and writing ability and they work around that by slowing down and proofreading. People should be doing that anyway. I'm not saying that fixes all dyslexics having these issues, but it works for some.)

Besides... those are bullshit excuses in the majority of instances. 99% of people who make these errors are native English speakers who don't suffer from dyslexia. Just laziness.

thirdmanj
05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
LoL... I here ya dude.

.... ..... .....

dvonk
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
ooh, an english lesson! :bigclap: i actually considered becoming an english teacher at one point due to my innate knack for grammar.
whenever someone corrects my grammar or spelling i thank them... there is always room for improvement!

i do realize that i dont always use proper sentence structure, grammar, or punctuation when typing on the forum, but i also dont feel i am being upheld to the standards of an english composition class. :wink: my typing is more of an informal or 'conversational' style.

my failure to capitalize is intentional, as i find it to be more efficient while typing.

cheers!

Dangermouse
05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
LoL... I here ya dude.

:giggle:

nullset
05-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Relevant: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Jimmyvonviggle
05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Many thank's, this should help me alot . Better then having to refer too a dictionary. It's hard sometime too spell good.

Sorry had to. Actually not a bad lesson.

dvonk
05-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Relevant: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

haha, hyperbole and a half is great. here are some similar (hilarious!) links from the oatmeal that reiterate everything Accipiter mentioned:

How to use a semicolon (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon)

10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling)

:lol:

SIMid
05-23-2012, 10:19 PM
DMCTALK isn't too bad compared too .....

.... and I feel your pain!