PDA

View Full Version : MUSIC from the original DeLorean Commercial! RE-RECORDED and MASTERED! (+ ring-tone)

kajcienski
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Hello all!

Well... My nerdy side project has finally been completed and here for DeLorean fans to enjoy! To give you some background, I own a music production company in NYC and am also a passionate DeLorean owner. Last month, I set off on a project with my team to re-record the original 1981 DeLorean :30 commercial spot to preserve the music and have for DeLorean enthusiasts to enjoy. Here is what we did. The sheet music and score used in the original recording session was lost. This meant we had to actually re-create the music and all of the instrumental parts by ear (I think we must have listened to it several hundred times), not an easy task when all we could get a hold of were two video clips in a bad state of deterioration - as well as highly compressed for broadcast. After re-creating the score and parts, we had to then record the music in the studio. We used a combination of live musicians and high-end sample libraries. It turned out fantastic! We then mixed and mastered it 2 ways. The first is how you would have heard it in the control room of the original 1981 session (marked STUDIO in the link below), and the second is using filters to re-create how it most likely sounded when prepped for broadcast and mixed for the commercial (marked EFFECT). I have also included the ring-tones for each (see instructions below). I hope everyone enjoys the music and now have it preserved for the archives!

ORIGINAL COMMERCIAL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCF9G6ORYyc

RE-CREATED COMMERCIAL MUSIC:
(Right-click to download files)

(Re-created Studio Version)
http://www.loreanrecords.com/DeLorean-Commercial-STUDIO.mp3
(Re-created Studio Version - Ring-tone)
http://www.loreanrecords.com/DeLorean-Commercial-STUDIO.m4r

(Re-created Broadcast Version)
http://www.loreanrecords.com/DeLorean-Commercial-EFFECT.mp3
(Re-created Broadcast Version - Ring-tone)
http://www.loreanrecords.com/DeLorean-Commercial-EFFECT.m4r

NOTE: To install the ring-tone to the iPhone, simply download and drag the .m4r file into your iTunes library. It should then automatically be available in the "ring-tone" section when you sync your iPhone.

Thanks everyone! Would love to hear you comments and/or thoughts.

Best,
Matt

awildermode
06-15-2011, 02:31 PM
That was AWESOME!

Roman Legion
06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
If I ever get a cellphone, that is my ring tone..

Tamir A.
06-15-2011, 03:07 PM
Matt,

My hats off to you for this! What a fun thing to do, sounds fantastic! :hihi2:

T.

Domi
06-15-2011, 03:20 PM
It's a fantastic job you've done!
Thank you very much for sharing :)

kajcienski
06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone! This is what 6 years of conservatory training and owning a DeLorean will do to you... ;)

Roman Legion
06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
If only the entire commercial could be re-mastered..

kajcienski
06-15-2011, 03:26 PM
If only the entire commercial could be re-mastered..

That was my initial goal, but finding a 1st generation tape of the commercial video would be quite a task! (and extremely unlikely) The voice over would be simple though...

DavidProehl
06-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I am in awe. I can't imagine the amount of work, studio time, and mixing required to create this. It sounds perfect.

Any chance an enterprising videographer wants to now recreate the video of the commercial? All I've ever seen are YouTube videos that look like they came from 30 year old VHS tapes.

Wonderful work! Great to see you are using your passion in music to further the DeLorean community!

Dangermouse
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
That was AWESOME!

+1 on that

Mike C.
06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
That sounds great!!! :shocked:

:headbang:

living_the_dream
06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
someone should re-film the commercial in an area that looks like the one in the commercial and then dub this remastered music in with the remastered voice. All in HD

Roman Legion
06-15-2011, 05:32 PM
someone should re-film the commercial in an area that looks like the one in the commercial and then dub this remastered music in with the remastered voice. All in HD

Can my Mustang be a background car? lol

Dangermouse
06-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Morgan Freeman for the voice :)

Matt, any chance of sheetmusic?

Michael
06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Well done is an understatement!!!

This begs to be used in countless owner made commercials.

DMC3165
06-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Way to go Matt!!!!! You did that by ear?!?!? Really exceptional work!
:worship:

Ryan King
06-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Fantastic. I laughed so hard. Thank you!

Kukem
06-15-2011, 08:30 PM
That was great! If I had a car, I'd try to recreate the commercial just for fun.

Karin
06-15-2011, 09:09 PM
That was a very good remaster of the original commercial. I enjoyed listening to it.

SIMid
06-15-2011, 10:24 PM
+1 on that

+1 from Downunder

tyb323
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
I am in awe. I can't imagine the amount of work, studio time, and mixing required to create this. It sounds perfect.

Any chance an enterprising videographer wants to now recreate the video of the commercial? All I've ever seen are YouTube videos that look like they came from 30 year old VHS tapes.

Wonderful work! Great to see you are using your passion in music to further the DeLorean community!

I got this!

Roman Legion
06-16-2011, 12:27 AM
I got this!

http://akalol.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/memes-danger.png

kajcienski
06-16-2011, 12:33 AM
I got this!

This would be a very cool project... Anyone think there is a chance to either re-shoot like the original or get a hold of a high quality video copy of the original? (in a library somewhere) Also, if anyone wants the high quality version of the track, just let me know - better than the MP3 :)

Roman Legion
06-16-2011, 01:26 AM
This would be a very cool project... Anyone think there is a chance to either re-shoot like the original or get a hold of a high quality video copy of the original? (in a library somewhere) Also, if anyone wants the high quality version of the track, just let me know - better than the MP3 :)

I would like a copy, I will find some use for it... Likely in a youtube video..

kajcienski
06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
I would like a copy, I will find some use for it... Likely in a youtube video..

Cool - I will try to post an AIF later today.

SamHill
06-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Well thank god we can finally get away from the inevitable BTTF soundtrack music. Thank you.

tyb323
06-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Cool - I will try to post an AIF later today.

I'll try to get a recreation of the commercial filmed sometime this fall when I am back at school. We have some great video equipment we can rent out, and we're right near the ocean, so we're in the perfect location to do it. Please post the link of the hq version when you get it up, and I'll snag that for the production. As for the voice over, Bill Robertson keeps telling me about Farrar's awesome voice...

uhhair
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I'll try to get a recreation of the commercial filmed sometime this fall when I am back at school. We have some great video equipment we can rent out, and we're right near the ocean, so we're in the perfect location to do it. Please post the link of the hq version when you get it up, and I'll snag that for the production. As for the voice over, Bill Robertson keeps telling me about Farrar's awesome voice...

Call me up Tyler, I'm looking to get my acting career off the ground and this reproduction delorean commercial sounds like just the ticket I need to catch a break into the big time!

kajcienski
06-16-2011, 04:20 PM

Very cool! I work with voice over talent so if we want to go for the original, I am sure I can find someone who sounds very close. Would be a good tribute. Here are the Broadcast Quality audio files. As a side, I had actually posted the wrong tracks originally but the links have now been corrected at the beginning of the thread (the ones previously posted was not the final mix/recording - my bad) - Enjoy!

Broadcast Quality (DeLorean Commercial - 1981 version re-recorded with live musicians and mixed/mastered)

Right-click to save - NOTE that these are at 48K

(Studio version)
http://www.loreanrecords.com/DeLorean-Commercial-STUDIO.aif

(Effects version)
http://www.loreanrecords.com/DeLorean-Commercial-EFFECT.aif

tyb323
06-17-2011, 08:02 AM
Call me up Tyler, I'm looking to get my acting career off the ground and this reproduction delorean commercial sounds like just the ticket I need to catch a break into the big time!

I don't think you can handle the pressure, hair...

tyb323
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Very cool! I work with voice over talent so if we want to go for the original, I am sure I can find someone who sounds very close.

Go for it. I'll ask Farrar if he wants to put something together so we can have a couple of voices to make a decision on which to go with.

kajcienski
06-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Go for it. I'll ask Farrar if he wants to put something together so we can have a couple of voices to make a decision on which to go with.

Cool - Did you want to go retro with the filming? Or re-create it with a more modern feel? I'll try to lock up a VO guy who sounds like the original as an option.

Malevy
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
That was my initial goal, but finding a 1st generation tape of the commercial video would be quite a task! (and extremely unlikely) The voice over would be simple though...

I have a 1st gen copy of the commercial. It was the source for the YouTube video you linked to (I posted it). Who did you try to contact about the music? It is possible the original audio tracks still exist at the same source I got the commercial from.

kajcienski
06-17-2011, 10:05 AM
I have a 1st gen copy of the commercial. It was the source for the YouTube video you linked to (I posted it). Who did you try to contact about the music? It is possible the original audio tracks still exist at the same source I got the commercial from.

Hi! I would be curious to see how good of a picture we can actually pull from that source video you used for the post - Was it on original broadcast 3/4 inch tape by chance? If it was, we might be in business as far as video! Would love to find out. The sheet music from the original scoring session is what I would have loved - (since I wanted to actually re-record it live in a modern studio rather than restore 30 year old audio it didn't matter) - your very helpful video post and a couple other videos I found did the trick! At least we have the project rolling with new music - we are half way there! Would be fun to see owners create their own commercials with the track and post here :)

Malevy
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi! I would be curious to see how good of a picture we can actually pull from that source video you used for the post - Was it on original broadcast 3/4 inch tape by chance? If it was, we might be in business as far as video! Would love to find out. The sheet music from the original scoring session is what I would have loved - (since I wanted to actually re-record it live in a modern studio rather than restore 30 year old audio it didn't matter) - your very helpful video post and a couple other videos I found did the trick! At least we have the project rolling with new music - we are half way there! Would be fun to see owners create their own commercials with the track and post here :)

Hmm.. Maybe mine is not 1st gen then? I have a VHS copy that was made from the original 3/4 tape. so, maybe mine is 2nd gen? I do know that my copy is straight from the source, not a copy of a copy, or recorded off of television.

The version on YouTube is not nearly as good as what was on the tape. I have not looked at the original in years. I guess I am confused as to what you are trying to accomplish with this project?

kajcienski
06-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Hmm.. Maybe mine is not 1st gen then? I have a VHS copy that was made from the original 3/4 tape. so, maybe mine is 2nd gen? I do know that my copy is straight from the source, not a copy of a copy, or recorded off of television.

The version on YouTube is not nearly as good as what was on the tape. I have not looked at the original in years. I guess I am confused as to what you are trying to accomplish with this project?

It would be ideal to get a high res digital export of the original 3/4 tape! Would that be possible you think? Ideally I would love to restore the picture and have the re-recorded music and voice over synced.

tyb323
06-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Cool - Did you want to go retro with the filming? Or re-create it with a more modern feel? I'll try to lock up a VO guy who sounds like the original as an option.

I want to use the same script and recreate it shot for shot, but with a nice hd camera. I may fiddle with some video effects to make it look similar to the original, but at the same time, I want it to look like something you'd see on tv today.

Malevy
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
It would be ideal to get a high res digital export of the original 3/4 tape! Would that be possible you think? Ideally I would love to restore the picture and have the re-recorded music and voice over synced.

I had to sleep with someone to get it...;) and, was asked not to distribute it without being watermarked.

jmrydholm
06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
sweet, I loves it.

tyb323
06-17-2011, 07:52 PM
I had to sleep with someone to get it...;)

I'm so sorry for you...
So who is this and how can I get ahold of them? :smile:

Malevy
06-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Tried to upload a screen shot to my album on DMCTalk, but it does not seem to be working...

EDIT- here it is.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1209&d=1308358023

kajcienski
06-18-2011, 12:44 AM
I want to use the same script and recreate it shot for shot, but with a nice hd camera. I may fiddle with some video effects to make it look similar to the original, but at the same time, I want it to look like something you'd see on tv today.

I think this is a great idea. We can even update the music slightly if it calls for it. I like the idea of staying true to the original as much as possible but have it look like it was done in 2011 (with a retro touch). Great idea - go for it! I'll still check out some voice over artists.

Malevy
06-18-2011, 06:50 AM
I'm so sorry for you...
So who is this and how can I get ahold of them? :smile:

They got me these videos too;

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1211&d=1308358374

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1210&d=1308358371

SamHill
06-27-2011, 04:35 PM
So is the commercial reshoot still planned?

tyb323
06-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Yes, I'm assembling my team =) Filming should be underway in september once I have access to school film equipment again