PDA

View Full Version : DCS 2012: Travel Updates ... Gas Prices, Construction Notices, Speed Traps, etc.

Rich W
05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I thought I would start an official DCS travel thread similar to ones for previous DCS events.

For DCS 2006 (on DMCTalk.com), I posted construction details and recommended alternates
for travel to the Chicago area, as well as gas prices and locations of self (spray) car washes.

Since all of the out-of-state drivers will be coming from the North, knowing the conditions of
I-10, I-75 and I-95 would be especially helpful.

Thanks,
Rich W.

Mods: Can we make this a Sticky for the next few weeks? (at least until after DCS)

Bitsyncmaster
05-31-2012, 01:50 PM
Real time speed trap locations would be nice. Good thing I'm using the AutoTrain because I don't have a smart phone.

Rich W
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
FYI - for those interested, below is the route I will be taking to DCS 2012 (to help confirm any D Rex Sightings).

I plan to depart Illinois next Monday, following this route:

I-57 S from Central IL to where it intersects I-55 S
I-55 S into the Memphis area (to say Hi to Elvis)
I-55 S to about Hammond, LA, where it intersects I-10 / I-12
I-10 E to the Pensacola area (for a brief stop at the beach)
I-10 E to I-95 S to Daytona Beach (D Rex drives the beach?)
I-4 W from Daytona Beach, FL to Downtown Disney Orlando, FL

I plan to arrive at the Hilton, late Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks,
Rich W.

BTW: The D Rex will be on a open trailer, the D Limo in enclosed trailer.

DMCMW Dave
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Real time speed trap locations would be nice. Good thing I'm using the AutoTrain because I don't have a smart phone.

If you have an IPhone (not sure about other smartphones) get yourself a free app called WAZE. It allows people to post speedtraps, accidents, jams in real time and reports them as you navigate with it.

PS - we'll be in an airplane. . . .

sdg3205
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
There is an app called "Waze" that acts as a programmable GPS as well as a traffic reporter. All the content is user generated and totally interactive with other users.

You guys could all be in communication and keep each other posted with traffic updates. Includes traffic jam, police, hazzard, paving etc etc.

Pretty damn cool.

Check it out

EDIT - Dave beat me to the punch, by like 6 hours. Sorry folks.

DMCMW Dave
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM
There is an app called "Waze" ..
EDIT - Dave beat me to the punch, by like 6 hours. Sorry folks.

Heh - one thing - make sure you are on as close to an unlimited data plan as you can still get if you use it a lot!

Dangermouse
06-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I75 at the weekend was pretty clear from ATL to Ocala FL. There was one area of construction of about 20 miles of cones but still moved pretty well.

Won't apply to Rich, but avoid ATL on I-75 and I-85 around rush hour (6-9 am M-F, 4-7pm M-F

Nicholas R
06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm driving almost 1000 miles from Cincinnati to Orlando this upcoming Saturday. Pretty much hopping on I-75 5min from my house, then taking it for 13 hours until I hit the Florida Turnpike, then getting off at I-4. If I notice anything significant I'll post it. Speed traps and such are probably irrelevant considering how far ahead I'm driving but still, any major construction or bottlenecks I'll try to remember.

Rich W
06-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys. If you can, keep track of the Mile Marker number (jot it down on a piece of paper).

I did this in advance of the Indy 500 event last month, letting folks know where the construction
was bad on I-65 and when the right lane was bad (especially for trailers), so Mike M. was able to
avoid the major holes in the road while hauling the DeLorean EV from Dave's shop to Indy 500.

Any advance warning for recommended lane changes in advance of construction zones are helpful
too, such as signs that say Trucks and Trailers use Left Lane Ahead, etc.

Later,
Rich W.

stevedmc
06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I did this in advance of the Indy 500 event last month, letting folks know where the construction
was bad on I-65 and when the right lane was bad (especially for trailers), so Mike M. was able to
avoid the major holes in the road while hauling the DeLorean EV from Dave's shop to Indy 500.

I really need to get back into the world of CB radio. There was a time when I put a CB and a huge antenna on every car I owned. It would be awesome to put a CB in the Delorean and listen to truckers while going down the highway. I just don't know where I would put an antenna on the car.

I wonder if there are any hand held units powerful enough to talk a few miles without an external antenna. With a decent CB and huge antenna you can talk to people 10 miles away. Laugh all you want but a CB gives far more accurate information than any radar detector or traffic alert service.

Rich W
06-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree ... CB Radios come in handy. Both the Diesel RV and the F350 Ext. Cab Dually will be running with CB Radio coverage.

I really need to get back into the world of CB radio. There was a time when I put a CB and a huge antenna on every car I owned. It would be awesome to put a CB in the Delorean and listen to truckers while going down the highway. I just don't know where I would put an antenna on the car.

I wonder if there are any hand held units powerful enough to talk a few miles without an external antenna. With a decent CB and huge antenna you can talk to people 10 miles away. Laugh all you want but a CB gives far more accurate information than any radar detector or traffic alert service.

stevedmc
06-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I agree ... CB Radios come in handy. Both the Diesel RV and the F350 Ext. Cab Dually will be running with CB Radio coverage.

Are your Deloreans going to be covered? I bet it would be an entertaining ride listening to truckers talk about your cars.

Dangermouse
06-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Are your Deloreans going to be covered? I bet it would be an entertaining ride listening to truckers talk about your cars.

ahem..from post 1

FYI - for those interested, below is the route I will be taking to DCS 2012 (to help confirm any D Rex Sightings).

I plan to depart Illinois next Monday, following this route:

I-57 S from Central IL to where it intersects I-55 S
I-55 S into the Memphis area (to say Hi to Elvis)
I-55 S to about Hammond, LA, where it intersects I-10 / I-12
I-10 E to the Pensacola area (for a brief stop at the beach)
I-10 E to I-95 S to Daytona Beach (D Rex drives the beach?)
I-4 W from Daytona Beach, FL to Downtown Disney Orlando, FL

I plan to arrive at the Hilton, late Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks,
Rich W.

BTW: The D Rex will be on a open trailer, the D Limo in enclosed trailer.

dmc6960
06-05-2012, 04:16 PM
I just don't know where I would put an antenna on the car.

For years Bruce Benson would attach a CB antenna to one of the lower luggage rack mounts, since his car had luggage rack mounts. The comments from Truckers, especially when you get a large caravan going, can be very entertaining.

Rich W
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Jim is correct. IIRC, Bruce used a "mirror mount" bracket on one of the round tubes on the luggage rack,
which is about the same diameter as the round mirror brackets on most trucks (at least prior to 1995).

For years Bruce Benson would attach a CB antenna to one of the lower luggage rack mounts, since his car had luggage rack mounts. The comments from Truckers, especially when you get a large caravan going, can be very entertaining.

Lenny
06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
If you are coming down I-95 and thinking about crossing 301 to get to I-75 be careful in Lawtey and Waldo.

There is a huge billboard that warns you Lawtey is a speed trap.

http://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/PGR/traffic_traps.aspx
<<<
These two small Florida communities are located on U.S. Highway 301 situated about halfway between Jacksonville and Gainesville and still depend on revenue generated by traffic tickets to help meet their annual budget.
>>>

If it was me I'd stay on I-95 to I-4

Delorean02378
06-10-2012, 05:15 PM
What time does morning traffic get bad in Atlanta? Should I go through the city or around?

I'm leaving early Tuesday morning for Daytona to spend a day at the beach prior to attending the show and would appreciate any info. I'm going to lose an hour on the way and it's about four hours to Atlanta so I'm guessing I"ll have to leave here around 12:00 AM. I prefer to travel at night anyway.

See everyone in Orlando.

Kirk

sphiend
06-10-2012, 06:23 PM
What time does morning traffic get bad in Atlanta? Should I go through the city or around?

I'm leaving early Tuesday morning for Daytona to spend a day at the beach prior to attending the show and would appreciate any info. I'm going to lose an hour on the way and it's about four hours to Atlanta so I'm guessing I"ll have to leave here around 12:00 AM. I prefer to travel at night anyway.

See everyone in Orlando.

Kirk

If you get through downtown Atlanta before 6 you should be fine.

Traffic patterns tend to be coming into the city and communities north of the city.

Ashyukun
06-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Those of you headed down from my neck of the woods or further North that plan to take I-75 will start seeing signs as you get near the southern end of Kentuck about I-75 going down to one lane.

Having just gone through THAT nightmare, I HIGHLY recommend following their instructions for the detour- when I went through around 5pm this afternoon it was about an hour and a half of crawling along up and down hills at speeds too low for the speedo to register. Even if the detour is twice the distance and only 35 mph it's WAY better than getting stuck in that mess.

Thankfully 16655 made it through with flying colors, but I was more than a bit worried about the cooling system, clutch, and my foot from having to work it constantly.

Kenny_Z
06-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I10 in the Pensacola area seems to be clear after the storms. However, be careful what exits you take as there are a few roads that are closed/underwater.

Rich, I don't know where in Pensacola your family wants to see the beach but I110 looks to be your safest route to get to Pensacola Beach and back to the interstate. A lot of roads to and from Perdido Beach are closed. Highway 59 seems to be clear all the way to Gulf Shores but that's one heck of a trek out of the way to see a beach, even though the Gulf Shores beaches are nicer ;)

Delorean02378
06-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Just rolled through down town Atlanta using I-75 S at 4:30 AM and it was a peach, no traffic at all and no construction.
Will keep everyone posted.

Dangermouse
06-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Just rolled through down town Atlanta using I-75 S at 4:30 AM and it was a peach, no traffic at all and no construction.
Will keep everyone posted.

I see what you did there :tongue_stick:

Nicholas R
06-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Those of you headed down from my neck of the woods or further North that plan to take I-75 will start seeing signs as you get near the southern end of Kentuck about I-75 going down to one lane.

Having just gone through THAT nightmare, I HIGHLY recommend following their instructions for the detour- when I went through around 5pm this afternoon it was about an hour and a half of crawling along up and down hills at speeds too low for the speedo to register. Even if the detour is twice the distance and only 35 mph it's WAY better than getting stuck in that mess.

Thankfully 16655 made it through with flying colors, but I was more than a bit worried about the cooling system, clutch, and my foot from having to work it constantly.

Yep, I TOTALLY got stuck in this on Saturday. I probably lost at least an hour in traffic. And that was a Saturday at about 3:30! It is not a good situation. In March my girlfriend and I drove from Cincy to Gatlinburg and on the way down, we had heard on the traffic radio that part of 75 had eroded away down the mountain side and it was down to one lane (it had actually happened that night). Three days later when we were heading home, that section of southbound 75 (about 10 miles), was completely shut down, and they were sending people off the highway.

Before my drive I checked to see if 75 was open and everything I read made it sound like 75 was back to normal there. It is not! Not only does it go down to 1 lane, but it's one lane on the NORTHBOUND side made from their left shoulder.

Just as I crossed into Tennessee, I started seeing signs saying that 75 goes down to 1 lane at mile 144 (Tennessee starts at mile 161). Luckily I got off at Jellico and filled up and went into the mess with a full tank of gas. Though it may actually go down to one lane at 144, the mess for me started at 150, 6 miles prior. By mile 150 I was stopped on the highway, just slowly crawling. If I reccall correctly, it's one lane for at least 6-8 miles too. I think around mile 138 it finally opened back up and I could get up to speed. Those 12 miles, from 150-138 were brutal.

Be warned! Like I said, this was a Saturday at 3:30pm so I dont know what a week day will be like; especially at different times throughout the day.