PDA

View Full Version : How To: Refit rubber boots on centre console air con vents

80DMC
06-01-2012, 06:22 AM
If you ever remove the centre console air vents you will see two rubber boots (unless somebody has previously discarded them) which join each of the vents to the air con duct. It can be very difficult to refit the air vents so that the rubber ducts are attached correctly. Here's a simple way my son suggested which works great.

Source an old plastic place mat or similar, made of plastic about 1 to 1.5mm (1/16") thick. Cut 6 strips - 4 strips about 300mm (12") long by 55mm (2 1/4") wide and 2 strips 300mm (12") by 45mm (1 3/4").

Attach the boots to the air con ducts. Place the 4 wider strips, on the flat, 2 in each rubber boot, for top and bottom. Place the 2 narrower strips, on their edge, one in each boot on the outboard side of each.

While ensuring the plastic strips remain well inside the rubber boots, splay the strips apart and slide the air vent module in between all strips so that you have one wide strip top and bottom of each vent and one narrow strip on the outboard side of each vent.

Now carefully slide the vent module in to its position. As you do so the plastic strips will force the rubber boot to slide into position over the rear of the vents. Take your time, and you will probably need to use a gentle sawing motion side to side, especially with the top and bottom strips to get the inboard edge of each boot in particular, into position.

Of course you will need to pull the plastic strips out before you fully insert the vent module, so don't use very thick plastic. Good luck and greetings from Down Under :-)

TTait
06-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Removing the radio is also very helpful in gaining better access...

Nicholas R
06-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I always do it with the console out. Makes a pretty big difference.

EdR5150
06-01-2012, 07:43 PM
I found this a few years ago. I thought my airflow felt weak:

kajcienski
06-01-2012, 10:40 PM
I don't think I have small hands but I found it pretty simple to stick my hand inside and cup it onto the vent - then slip the vents on. Maybe got lucky...

Henrik
01-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Do you use any kind of fastener (zip tie, duct tape) or adhesive to keep it from sliding apart?

DMCMW Dave
01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Do you use any kind of fastener (zip tie, duct tape) or adhesive to keep it from sliding apart?

Not needed - they are a tight fit and once everything is in place they can't go anywhere. The hard part is getting the sleeves in place without folding up.

jawn101
01-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I found that chucking the boots in the freezer for a couple hours prior to reinstallation hardens the rubber up enough to make them an easy install.