PDA

View Full Version : 3.0L ticking noise

tc connors
06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Anyone have an idea what might be causing the engine "ticking" noise in the following video?

http://youtu.be/-enNUpue5HY

The noise initially appeared after I adjusted my valves (badly at first, then later to the correct specs) and tightened the driver side timing chain tensioner, which had slipped a notch. While the timing chain cover was off, I noticed that the bolts attaching my crank position sensor had scuffed the oil pump sprocket, but there is sufficient clearance between them now.

Have I adjusted the valves incorrectly, has a valve failed, or did I damage something else?

MFaulks
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Anyone have an idea what might be causing the engine "ticking" noise in the following video?

The noise initially appeared after I adjusted my valves (badly at first, then later to the correct specs) and tightened the driver side timing chain tensioner, which had slipped a notch. While the timing chain cover was off, I noticed that the bolts attaching my crank position sensor had scuffed the oil pump sprocket, but there is sufficient clearance between them now.

Have I adjusted the valves incorrectly, has a valve failed, or did I damage something else?

So the noise started after you refitted the timing cover or the rocker covers? This is a direct metal on metal contact noise and is happening consistently with engine rotation, so it should be easy to find, possibly even outside. I suggest you carefully go back over what you have done and check.

How did you tighten the chain tensioner, is this the one on the right side of the engine looking at the timing chains? The tensioners are automatic adjustment, you just release the lock when fitting, there is no manual tensioning to do, it is a piston actuated by oil pressure. If you have locked the tensioner off, you can get chain slap, but that does not sound the same as what you have; that sounds like chain whip hitting the side of the case and would not occur consistently with rotation.

So what setup do you have, it's obviously not a 3ltr with hydraulic adjusters, so you have solid lifers and what cam? You won't have clearance issues unless you have high lift and miss time the cam, so the tappet adjustment per se probably has nothing to do with it. Both Martin (Stunned) and I have had rockers hitting the covers, but suspect that isn't your problem either unless you have changed the gaskets.

I would go back over everthing methodically and I'm sure you will find it :-)

Ron
06-05-2012, 11:43 AM
It's always hard to tell in vids, but the speed at idle alone makes it sound like a valve is way too loose to me. You should be able to get a fair idea of where it is coming from with a cheap mechanic's stethoscope (or long rod held to your ear).

tc connors
06-06-2012, 02:09 AM
I discovered slop in the drivers side timing chain (but not the passenger side) that seemed to be causing a drivetrain clatter at higher rpm. I originally adjusted the valves to eliminate the clatter, but to no avail.

I removed the play in the timing chain by unlocking the timing chain tensioner and pushing the tensioner arm in. I will have to pull the timing chain cover again and see if the tensioner is still locked.

The ticking sound did not begin until after I reassembled the engine. The noise seems to be coming from behind the timing chain cover, but I need more practice with the electronic stethoscope to be sure.

My 3.0L has solid lifters and B280E camshafts. It's the PRV that Ed Ghesquire built up for his Delorean before he swapped in the Supra engine. I am running in NA for the time being, but ultimately I want to add a supercharger.

I did replace the valve cover gaskets, so I will check the covers for signs of a clearance problem.

Thanks for the guidance and encouragement.

DCUK Martin
06-06-2012, 07:39 AM
That is a verrry specific noise and it doesn't sound like the covers being hit - that's a more "echo-ey" noise. It could be the video quality but I doubt it. The sounds of the covers being hit are much the same from the inside as the outside.

If you listen carefully, there're sounds going on less cyclicly with the tapping noise. I wonder if it is chain related?

Martin: The Eagle Premier had a 3 litre PRV with solid rockers and no balance shaft. Also I haven't been Stunned Monkey on this forum for years :biggrin:

DeLorean
06-06-2012, 10:06 AM
This sounds like a bad lifter to me.

dustybarn
06-18-2012, 08:26 AM
I have an almost identical noise that I'm trying to track down. Mine is definitely once-per-engine-cycle, which suggests that it's valvetrain-related. It happens at every speed and doesn't appear to be responsive to engine load (I would think a rod knock would be).

I pulled the starboard valve cover (because it's easier) and didn't find huge clearances. Next I'll pull the port valve cover.

Oddly, my mechanic's stethoscope doesn't help much in localizing the noise, it sounds about the same no matter where I put it. Is there anything else I'm missing?