PDA

View Full Version : Windshield trim?

TTait
06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm sure its the simplest thing in the world, but how do I remove the exterior windshield trim without damaging anything?

Spittybug
06-16-2011, 11:39 AM
On the sides you must pull up the rubber door seals and you will find small screws to unfasten. For the top, that is harder.... Remove the T top by removing the rear rubber, undo the screws. The rear window finisher (delicate plastic) covers the bent over the rear tabs of the T top. The T top itself is semi-glued down in the center and can be tough to unstick without bending it. Once you do, the top windshield trim is held by clips and screws. It can be a bear to get back on though! If you simply want to paint it, I'd do it on the car after carefully masking it.

jmpdmc
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I was able to remove to top windshield trim without removing the T-panel. After you remove the screws, it needs to be detached by sliding it off the metal flange that is attached to the fiberglass below. I think it slides back and lifts up to remove, IIRC. I had it powder coated the OEM semi-flat black color and it looks great.

Jeff

DeloreanJoshQ
06-16-2011, 05:45 PM
I was able to remove to top windshield trim without removing the T-panel. After you remove the screws, it needs to be detached by sliding it off the metal flange that is attached to the fiberglass below. I think it slides back and lifts up to remove, IIRC. I had it powder coated the OEM semi-flat black color and it looks great.

Jeff

+1, just did this today...also replaced all of the rusty old screws; one was a pain to get out...
Make sure when you put it back on that you gently push down and slide the front of it back under the lip flange otherwise there will be a gap between the top trim and the windshield...
I did mine with SEM self-etching primer and then Trim Black; turned out great.

TTait
06-17-2011, 01:00 AM
Thanks guys...