PDA

View Full Version : How to remove bolt from alternator?

1batt4u
06-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi all,

I have a brand new alternator from John Hervey, specialtauto. Hasn't been installed yet, since my car is still uner work!

Since I am in the works on making billet pulleys, I want remove the bolt inorder to remove the pulley. I tried everything, it is difficult!! Any tricks to it??

Thank you!

Bitsyncmaster
06-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Probably an air impact is the best bet.

DMC5180
06-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

I have a brand new alternator from John Hervey, specialtauto. Hasn't been installed yet, since my car is still uner work!

Since I am in the works on making billet pulleys, I want remove the bolt inorder to remove the pulley. I tried everything, it is difficult!! Any tricks to it??

Thank you!

Bolt or Nut? Which pulley are you speaking of? If crankshaft, its a 35MM socket and a stout impacked wrench. You may need to remove the lower rear facia closing plate to provide clearence.

1batt4u
06-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Bolt or Nut? Which pulley are you speaking of? If crankshaft, its a 35MM socket and a stout impacked wrench. You may need to remove the lower rear facia closing plate to provide clearence.

Sorry, meant Nut not bolt, but I did mention I needed the nut removed from the alternator. I'll try an impact wrench!

Ron
06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Any tricks to it?? You usually have to take it apart if you don't use an impact.
Make sure you keep the shaft forward...I hold it fan down and use short bursts to keep the rotor from spinning, else the wires on the back of the rotor can hit the brush holder. If it's a delco style and you have to take it apart to hold the rotor in a vise, you use a short piece of stiff wire to reload the brushes and pull it out after you get it back together (you'll see).

stevedmc
06-06-2012, 08:36 AM
My alternator came from AutoZone and they helped me swap pulleys using an impact wrench, free of charge. I've swapped pulleys on my own before and used a pipe wrench to hold the fan and a breaker bar to move the nut. It took a little effort and I learned it is much easier to just use an impact wrench.

1batt4u
06-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Cool! Thanx!!!

When using the impact wrench, have to hold down the fan or the power and speed of the impact wrench will just loosen the nut??

Bitsyncmaster
06-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Cool! Thanx!!!

When using the impact wrench, have to hold down the fan or the power and speed of the impact wrench will just loosen the nut??

It probably will work without holding it but I would use a heavy glove (my welding glove) holding the fan and just give the impact a quick burst.

1batt4u
06-07-2012, 03:34 AM
It probably will work without holding it but I would use a heavy glove (my welding glove) holding the fan and just give the impact a quick burst.

Cool!!! Thank you!! :)