PDA

View Full Version : DMCH seat covers

billet351
06-05-2012, 09:36 PM
just thiught I would post these pics of my newly installed DMCH seat covers

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/billet351/ResizeofIMG_0698.jpg

and the new seat covers, with my dog recoloured to match

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e244/billet351/ResizeofIMG_0700.jpg

on a side note: I have their carpet set as well and fits nice, not finished the install yet

dvonk
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
what a difference! good job. :thumbup:

Nicholas R
06-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Very nice!

When this thread opened and I saw the top line and only the first picture, I momentarily thought that the first picture was the new covers... "WTF??? [scroll down] Oh..."

GS450-Junkie
06-05-2012, 10:46 PM
cover them yourself?

john 05141
06-06-2012, 04:54 AM
I was told it is not that easy to do and you might want some help to do this job too.
You agree with that?
Most rails are rusty did you do something about that as well?

You did this excellent, what a big change that must be installed in your car.
John

billet351
06-06-2012, 09:07 PM
No i did not the fit them myself, the seats required some foam work from the Californian sunburn
My seat rails were very good and required no work

billet351
06-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Very nice!

When this thread opened and I saw the top line and only the first picture, I momentarily thought that the first picture was the new covers... "WTF??? [scroll down] Oh..."

Hi Nicholas, great car you have. I met a new friend last weekend, Nathan. I think you guys have talked, he is fitting a LS1 as well and doing a BTTF. He lives about 10km from me, its a small world. Bill

Jimmyvonviggle
06-06-2012, 10:36 PM
I like how the new skins look but what I preferred about the originals was the contrasting white stitching (French stitching?)

jawn101
06-06-2012, 10:49 PM
I like how the new skins look but what I preferred about the originals was the contrasting white stitching (French stitching?)

Wait, did the originals have this? My covers are original as far as I know and the stitching is black, on black leather. There's some contrast around the detail I guess but I think the stitching is actually black?

Either way, those covers really looks great!

Jimmyvonviggle
06-06-2012, 11:00 PM
Maybe it's only the grey seats.

SBL
03-13-2013, 02:36 AM
Has anyone done a comparison between the grey + black 2 tone seat covers from DMC and Hervey. Both sites are a little confusing as to what is offered, and, I would be interested in the fit and quality of the material between the two.

Byrne H&A
03-13-2013, 08:28 AM
We have two pair of beautiful, plush sheepskin seat covers available @ $150.00 per pair. I can provide photos of covers on seats. Thanks, Byrne

beernpizzalover
03-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Has anyone done a comparison between the grey + black 2 tone seat covers from DMC and Hervey. Both sites are a little confusing as to what is offered, and, I would be interested in the fit and quality of the material between the two.

I like the ones pictured under the 'New build two-tone interior':
http://delorean.com/sales/
They're pretty sharp-looking; and I was wondering how well they held-up, too...

SBL
03-25-2013, 10:57 PM
This thread is not getting much attention It is a major investment. Srelu someone has compared the seats from these 2 vendors (?).

louielouie2000
03-26-2013, 12:22 PM
This thread is not getting much attention It is a major investment. Srelu someone has compared the seats from these 2 vendors (?).

The DMC Texas seatcovers are vastly superior to every other aftermarket replacement option out there. Their fit is the best, their materials are the best, their colors are the most closely matched, and they're the only replacement seatcovers which replicate the correct ripple look in the leather. I've been in the community over a decade, and have seen every seatcover replacement option available past & present. DMC Texas is the only way I'd go if I needed replacement seatcovers, unless I were able to procure a perfect set of New Old Stock seatcovers instead. The only way the DMC Texas seatcovers are inferior to their original NOS counterparts is they don't properly mimick the NOS pebble finish. Still, they're lightyears ahead of every other option.

jawn101
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
The DMC Texas seatcovers are vastly superior to every other aftermarket replacement option out there. Their fit is the best, their materials are the best, their colors are the most closely matched, and they're the only replacement seatcovers which replicate the correct ripple look in the leather. I've been in the community over a decade, and have seen every seatcover replacement option available past & present. DMC Texas is the only way I'd go if I needed replacement seatcovers, unless I were able to procure a perfect set of New Old Stock seatcovers instead. The only way the DMC Texas seatcovers are inferior to their original NOS counterparts is they don't properly mimick the NOS pebble finish. Still, they're lightyears ahead of every other option.

And from what I understand, the DMCH covers use automotive upholstery grade material whereas the NOS/OEM ones used furniture grade leather that didn't hold up as well. Nice stuff but the wrong application for it.

kajcienski
03-26-2013, 01:02 PM
My two cents... Having a small stock of "perfect" NOS covers myself, and having obsessively compared a set of black to DMCH covers side by side recently, there are a few differences I noticed.

Ripples: DMCH went a bit overboard on the ripples. They are a bit brutal looking compared to the NOS which has a more graceful, almost more delightfully "random" look to it.

Color: DMCH didn't really nail that deep black color. The NOS look richer. I didn't have a gray set to compare at the time but there are subtle differences there as well from what I recall.

Texture: Definitely a difference here. I know DMCH tooled new vinyl to match NOS, they did pretty good but not a perfect match. The leather is definitely softer and more supple on the Black NOS, and what I describe to have more "character", which I personally like.

Longevity: Just a guess here, but I would think the DMCH covers would look "newer" longer due to the heftier materials they used. However, like a really good pair of shoes, the NOS gets character and really IS a great quality leather that will last as long as they have been taken care of.

Comfort: If you have your originals in your car, you will feel a big difference when recovering with NOS or DMCH. The padding turns to dust over time. I would think DMCH covers would hold up really well. But the NOS feel a tad more supple on my tush.

This is my assessment as to how the DMCH covers stack up against the originals, if you are the type that even cares about this sort of thing ;) I am not sure how many miles were on the DMCH set and only did a side-by-side with one set. I have to say that the DMCH sets look really good, comparison aside. The two-tones look awesome, and all have a great fit. Just wanted to share this info.

dmc6960
03-26-2013, 02:25 PM

Comparing the DMC "Two Tone" to other aftermarket ones, I'd definitely favor the DMC ones. Way better fit and finish and overall look. Plus with the perforation you get a more comfortable feel on long roadtrips in the summer. I have a custom "all-grey" version of the two tone seats and I love them. They dont have quite the rippled affect as NOS and the standard reproduction covers, but its still very nice compared to other seat covers I've seen.

louielouie2000
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I have a custom "all-grey" version of the two tone seats and I love them. They dont have quite the rippled affect as NOS and the standard reproduction covers, but its still very nice compared to other seat covers I've seen.

I'd love to see pics of your seats, I've wondered for years what solid colored perforated seats would look like in a DeLorean.

dmc6960
03-27-2013, 02:27 PM
I'd love to see pics of your seats, I've wondered for years what solid colored perforated seats would look like in a DeLorean.

I don't have any installed photos handy, but here is the "just completed" picture of the passenger seat from last summer...

FYI though, DMC has stated it would be unlikely for anyone else to order a custom cover like this. I dont think there were any problems doing this but other circumstances will prevent it for a long while.

Here is the whole thread on my recovering project including the heating and cooling additions...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?3473-Heated-AND-Cooled-Seats

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10941&d=1339312187

tgraham
03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
DMC Texas is the only way I'd go if I needed replacement seatcovers, unless I were able to procure a perfect set of New Old Stock seatcovers instead. The only way the DMC Texas seatcovers are inferior to their original NOS counterparts is they don't properly mimick the NOS pebble finish. Still, they're lightyears ahead of every other option.

Someone (and for some reason I'm thinking it was Barry Wills) said that the factory selected furniture grade leather for the seats, hence why the originals have not held up well at all (with use) over the years...

The DMC reproductions are very nice. And a set of those is a bargain compared to having custom one-off covers made (which was the only alternative to NOS before these came out).

Travis

louielouie2000
03-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Someone (and for some reason I'm thinking it was Barry Wills) said that the factory selected furniture grade leather for the seats, hence why the originals have not held up well at all (with use) over the years...

Not surprising- the DeLorean had really cheap interior finishes. I know they contracted with Chrysler for some dash/binnacle pieces, hence why they discolor & crack to hell.

For what it's worth, I helped Bill Robertson install a new set of DMC Texas seatcovers several years back, and they still look awesome. For those who don't know Bill, he uses his DeLorean like a work truck. He drives it all over the country, hauling all sorts of objects & passengers. The car isn't garaged & is driven many thousands of miles per year in all sorts of weather. Last time I saw Bill's car, his replacement DMC Texas seatcovers still looked like new. I'm pretty impressed by the quality of them- they're definitely put together better than the originals we pulled off Bill's car.

Delorean02378
03-29-2013, 12:52 PM
I like the ones pictured under the 'New build two-tone interior':
http://delorean.com/sales/
They're pretty sharp-looking; and I was wondering how well they held-up, too...

Here's a good picture of the Two-Tone seats.

clenet
12-07-2018, 11:45 AM

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the new replacement seat covers on the market today? I am wondering about Lseat.com, Hervey, and DMC. I would like to hear your feedback on your experience with this subject both good and bad. Thanks much.

dmcnc
12-07-2018, 09:49 PM
I've had original, DMCH and Lee Pattison's OE seat covers. Lee's OE seat covers to me are the best quality and identical in source material and wrinkles as factory covers. DMCH covers are also great in terms of quality, but the wrinkles are a bit off in my opinion. They still look better than other cheaper options out there. Installation is also key factor in your results.

DMC-81
12-08-2018, 05:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of the new replacement seat covers on the market today? I am wondering about Lseat.com, Hervey, and DMC. I would like to hear your feedback on your experience with this subject both good and bad. Thanks much.

I have DMCH seat covers. Love them. I paid the extra little bit for the original wrinkle design because originality is important to me, and I figure that extra material will be beneficial to allow the leather to give when sat in, and as the seat covers age. I find the wrinkles pretty spot on, but I know everyone will have their own opinion. I found pictures of the passenger seat over time, one year apart and they have held up great so far. I hope they help you as you make your choice:

Just installed on the seat:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47053&d=1478086179
In the car:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=47473&d=1479944061

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54629&d=1511211617

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58821&d=1544264125

Note: under the bright fluorescent lights in my garage, the color looks charcoal gray, but in other, more natural light they look normal, as in this picture and the first one:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=54657&d=1511396015

SoCalDMC12
12-13-2018, 12:21 PM
I've had original, DMCH and Lee Pattison's OE seat covers. Lee's OE seat covers to me are the best quality and identical in source material and wrinkles as factory covers. DMCH covers are also great in terms of quality, but the wrinkles are a bit off in my opinion. They still look better than other cheaper options out there. Installation is also key factor in your results.

I never heard of Lseat.com until this thread. How were they able to get the original factory leather? Or is it newly produced leather by the same vendor (bridge of weir leather)? Their prices seem really reasonable.

My original seat covers are just about ready for replacement, and I'm weighing my options as well. I have a set of OEM leathers, but am thinking about saving them for a while longer, since I know they are no longer readily available.

FABombjoy
12-13-2018, 12:37 PM
Lseat are new leather, not original. I think they look good for the price but I haven't installed them yet. I did see at least one car at DCS and thought they they looked fine. The stitching isn't perfect but neither are the stock seats covers. The Lseat covers do come with new leather for the backer boards which is nice.

dmcnc
12-13-2018, 05:57 PM
I never heard of Lseat.com until this thread. How were they able to get the original factory leather? Or is it newly produced leather by the same vendor (bridge of weir leather)? Their prices seem really reasonable.

My original seat covers are just about ready for replacement, and I'm weighing my options as well. I have a set of OEM leathers, but am thinking about saving them for a while longer, since I know they are no longer readily available.

Lee Pattison isn’t involved with lseat. He’s an upholsterer in the UK that got a roll of original factory leather bought off in auction after the original company went bankrupt. Judging from the leather condition you can tell they did a good job with storage.

SoCalDMC12
12-14-2018, 10:11 PM
Lee Pattison isn’t involved with lseat. He’s an upholsterer in the UK that got a roll of original factory leather bought off in auction after the original company went bankrupt. Judging from the leather condition you can tell they did a good job with storage.

Thanks for the clarification.

powerline84
12-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Lseat are new leather, not original. I think they look good for the price but I haven't installed them yet. I did see at least one car at DCS and thought they they looked fine. The stitching isn't perfect but neither are the stock seats covers. The Lseat covers do come with new leather for the backer boards which is nice.
I believe Luke is talking about my car. Check out my build thread I posted pics and my thoughts. Bottom line is they are good for the price . They fit a little tight. If I had to do it again I think I would spring for the british made ones. His work is awesome. Also the Houston ones look like nut sacks to me .

FABombjoy
12-15-2018, 10:13 AM
That's right, I thought it was yours!

I'm going to put heat & circulation in my seats but didn't want to spend a fortune on top of this experiment, so the Lseat perforated leather option seemed the way to go. DMCH only seems to offer perforated in the 2-tone for $150 more.

powerline84
12-15-2018, 10:34 AM
I like them. I thing good option for the money. Had mine preforated and dark grey stitching. I think if you want heady duty long lastingeather and drive your car these are great. You want super supple show car leather look elsewear.

Mark D
12-15-2018, 10:41 PM
Also the Houston ones look like nut sacks to me .

:giggle: