PDA

View Full Version : Cut keys and decoding at DCS

DMCH James
06-08-2012, 07:22 PM
We're bringing our key cutting machine, key blanks and the decoder person (me) to DCS next week so if you want to get a key "copy cut" or if you want your key decoded and a first generation key cut, make sure that you stop by the vendor displays on Saturday. If you're not bringing your car to DCS, then make sure you bring your keys!

James

Bitsyncmaster
06-08-2012, 07:47 PM
That would be great. My original key is very worn. I got a key cut from it and I had to do a little filing to get it to work. Would like a good master to save.

Iznodmad
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Yes! I need this service, thanks for offering James!

dmc6960
06-08-2012, 11:17 PM
This is great! I meant to have a new one cut and brought to DCS but figured I waited too long. My original is slpitting along the moulding and need a new one bad.

thirdmanj
06-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Any luck on mine yet James?

mluder
06-09-2012, 05:46 AM
We're bringing our key cutting machine, key blanks and the decoder person (me) to DCS next week so if you want to get a key "copy cut" or if you want your key decoded and a first generation key cut, make sure that you stop by the vendor displays on Saturday. If you're not bringing your car to DCS, then make sure you bring your keys!

James

Will it be set up right next to the binnacles that are for sale?

Just kidding, James, but you know I couldn't resist. :giggle:

Cheers.
Steve

TTait
06-11-2012, 01:50 AM
James,

Is pricing the same for keys cut from a dupe, from the vin, and from the key code (if any) in the drivers door? How much does this run?

Tom

DMCH James
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Any luck on mine yet James?

PM sent.

DMCH James
06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I'll copy cut a dupe one of our key blanks for free at the show only.

From a VIN, if we have it in the files, is the same as cutting to a code (headliner, under steering column) or decoding from a key you already have (late doors and ignition only) - regularly $25 for as many of the same of our key blanks as you want cut - show special price $15.

If decoding from a key, you also get the key code for your records.

James

James,

Is pricing the same for keys cut from a dupe, from the vin, and from the key code (if any) in the drivers door? How much does this run?

Tom

Bill6298
11-27-2013, 12:11 AM
I'll copy cut a dupe one of our key blanks for free at the show only.

From a VIN, if we have it in the files, is the same as cutting to a code (headliner, under steering column) or decoding from a key you already have (late doors and ignition only) - regularly $25 for as many of the same of our key blanks as you want cut - show special price $15.

If decoding from a key, you also get the key code for your records.

James

Hi James, are you saying that you can determine the key code from the key itself (or image of the key)? My vin is not on file at DMCH and I would rather not take apart my headliner.

Thanks

Bill

rdarlington
11-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Hi James, are you saying that you can determine the key code from the key itself (or image of the key)? My vin is not on file at DMCH and I would rather not take apart my headliner.

Thanks

Bill

You can definitely determine the key code from the key. It's just a matter of measuring it and finding the closest (either the same or the next lowest) code depth for that pin. This accounts for wear. Driver pins are usually hard and don't wear anywhere near as much as a key (by design).

I just talked to DMCH today to verify my key code. They use a blind code from what I can tell, the numbers are not what you set your depths to on the key machine. If I can find my calipers, I can probably figure out at least part of that blind code, unless one of you folks has that info handy.

-Bob

Bill6298
11-27-2013, 12:23 AM
You can definitely determine the key code from the key. It's just a matter of measuring it and finding the closest (either the same or the next lowest) code depth for that pin. This accounts for wear. Driver pins are usually hard and don't wear anywhere near as much as a key (by design).

I just talked to DMCH today to verify my key code. They use a blind code from what I can tell, the numbers are not what you set your depths to on the key machine. If I can find my calipers, I can probably figure out at least part of that blind code, unless one of you folks has that info handy.

-Bob

Thanks Bob. I just realized I don't know enough about keys. Then again, I also don't know the level of effort/risk to remove the headliner. I have no problem trying to learn how to decode, assuming that information is available.

I have one key (non-original) for my car and it's rather worn. I have a slight amount of trouble lining things up to lock/unlock the door. I was hoping to get a key cut from code before things get worse.

Time for me to start searching about this...

rdarlington
11-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks Bob. I just realized I don't know enough about keys. Then again, I also don't know the level of effort/risk to remove the headliner. I have no problem trying to learn how to decode, assuming that information is available.

I have one key (non-original) for my car and it's rather worn. I have a slight amount of trouble lining things up to lock/unlock the door. I was hoping to get a key cut from code before things get worse.

Just photocopy/scan or take a picture of it and send it to DMCH. They can measure right from the picture and cut you one. You can also buy blanks and take to a local lock shop like I did. Oddly, I had to show them how to measure... These guys are much older than me but I guess I was in the trade when men were men and people knew how to measure codes.

Incidentally, this is so easy that you can snap photos of janitor keyrings from a block away with a decent telescope and... well, you get the idea. A photocopy sent in will be no trouble for them.

Dangermouse
11-27-2013, 09:58 AM

The headliner is easy to remove - just a fir-tree connector in each corner. Pulls off easily.

I bought a blank key from DMCH and had a local key-cutter cut it based off my old key, just like getting a spare housekey cut. Of course, once the guy learned it was for a deLorean, he insisted on personally making sure that it worked. Such great customer service :)

DMCH James
11-27-2013, 10:08 AM

Thanks

Bill

Absolutely - but only for ignition/late door keys. I do it all the time here when people want to know their key codes or want a key cut to the code but don't know it. We have an incomplete set of key codes from factory records. We now record (or decode as required) the keycode for every car that comes into DMC (Texas) in case a customer loses their keys and the car is locked with no access - we can then cut them a key to code.

I don't do the early style door keys, mostly because of little demand and therefore have not tracked down the cutting/code cross-reference. I also don't have a cutting machine for the early door keys, like we do for the later door/all ignition keys.

If anyone wants to have their key decoded, send a good, clear, close-up photo like shown to me at "[email protected]" and I will decode and return. I have also attached a article I wrote some time ago about where to look for keycodes on your car.

Jonathan
11-27-2013, 11:29 AM
If you are stuck and looking locally, another option would be to find someone in your area with one of these Ilco machines:

http://www.kaba-ilco.com/key-systems/Products/Key-Machines/Code/293554/traditional-cylinder-automotive.html

These machines can read your key and generate the code. I don't know if it matches the original DMC code, but it doesn't need to. The database that comes in the software with these machines is just using that code to pick a pattern out of all the possibilities that matches your key and ignition.

As Dermot mentioned with making a key based on the physical one you bring in to the locksmith, the key is getting more and more away from the original pattern every time you use it. If you cut a new key from your worn down key, the new key is only going to be as accurate as the now 30 year old one is on that day. If your key code is recognized, it will create a new key with all the exact geometry it was supposed to have in the first place. This doesn't happen making duplicates from the physical copy.

Thankfully we don't have microchips in our keys like some cars. You'll likely need to show your ownership to the locksmith making you a new key, but not because their system knows anything about your particular VIN, it's because they need to know you actually own a DeLorean.

Bill6298
11-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Lots of great advice. I really appreciate it. James was also very helpful teaching me a few things about the keys. Unfortunately my "copy of a copy" is very worn. We can guess from an image but it's not a sure thing. After speaking with James, I did find my other lost key but it appears it is actually an original key (attached - am I correct?). I previously thought I stored a perfect key somewhere. The original key also appears to be in bad shape.

For the sake of the thread, I was hoping someone could validate some assumptions I am making based on my exchange with James. After a lot of searching, I never found details about bitting pattern or how to decode this yourself.

- There are six possible cuts for a DeLorean key. Start counting from the head of the key.
- Each cut can be at one of four depths. "no cut" is a 1. I assume that 4 is the depth nearest (deepest) to the groove and 2 is the farthest cut (most shallow) from the groove.
- There are eight digits that get cross referenced to the code. I'm not sure I understand how the last two digits are determined and it probably doesn't matter since I don't have the code book anyway.

Do I have this right?

Unless I make a big breakthrough, I may try to get a locksmith to help decode the keys I have and then get keys made with the DMCH blanks.

DMCH James
11-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Lots of great advice. I really appreciate it. James was also very helpful teaching me a few things about the keys. Unfortunately my "copy of a copy" is very worn. We can guess from an image but it's not a sure thing. After speaking with James, I did find my other lost key but it appears it is actually an original key (attached - am I correct?). I previously thought I stored a perfect key somewhere. The original key also appears to be in bad shape.

That does appear to be an original key - send me a photo of the full key - with that and the other photo, I can most likely get it decoded.

James

Bill6298
11-27-2013, 07:36 PM
That does appear to be an original key - send me a photo of the full key - with that and the other photo, I can most likely get it decoded.

James

Thanks James. For some reason I'm excited to have an original key even if it barely opens the door. :-)

Bill6298
12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
James was able to successfully decode my keys via photograph and saved me the process of removing the headliner. The lesson I learned was to take photographs of my keys (in general) while they are still in good shape and not lost.

DMCH James
05-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Once again, we're bringing our key cutting machine, key blanks and the decoder person (me) to DCS in Dayton so if you want to get a key "copy cut" or if you want your key decoded and a first generation key cut, make sure that you stop by the vendor displays on Saturday. If you're not bringing your car to DCS, then make sure you bring your keys!

Flicky
05-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Are you doing keys for the 2 key cars too? If so, I'd like a set at DCS.

NightFlyer
05-28-2014, 12:00 AM
SWEET!

Questions:

1) I'm presuming that you'll be offering the molded reproduction blanks. Will you also be offering generic blanks for this key (ie Ilco, Curtis, etc)?

http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/109100.JPG

2) Will you also be offering the NOS door key (for the two key system) in partial form (without the guts or cover)? Will you be offering generic blanks for this key (ie Ilco, Curtis, etc)?

https://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/106244M.JPG

Thanks, and looking forward to patronizing this service at the show :thumbup:

DMCH James
06-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Are you doing keys for the 2 key cars too? If so, I'd like a set at DCS.

We will ONLY be cutting/decoding the later style "one key system" keys at the show. We're seeing more failures of the early style locks and encourage everyone who's not "concours" to consider converting the the later system, just as the factory did in 1981.

SWEET!

Questions:

1) I'm presuming that you'll be offering the molded reproduction blanks. Will you also be offering generic blanks for this key (ie Ilco, Curtis, etc)?

http://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/109100.JPG

This is the key we will be offering, yes. We offer no generic blanks for this key as they are readily available on eBay and even locally for most people.

2) Will you also be offering the NOS door key (for the two key system) in partial form (without the guts or cover)? Will you be offering generic blanks for this key (ie Ilco, Curtis, etc)?

https://store.delorean.com/images/Product/medium/106244M.JPG

Thanks, and looking forward to patronizing this service at the show :thumbup:

There are no NOS early style door keys, and we don't have the equipment to cut these, in any case. With these early style blanks being fairly common on Ebay and locally, we don't carry them at all.