PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Re-atching side view mirror glass

mluder
06-16-2011, 06:58 PM
In the process of fixing the tracking on my side view mirrors, I needed to remove the glass. I have re-attached them with some double sided foam tape but I'm not sure how long they will hold up.

Is there a specific product that is meant for this. Perhaps something that will allow future removal if I decide to outright replace the glass.

Thanks.
Steve

sdg3205
06-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Hey Steve

Maybe someone can chime in here, but I've heard black silicone RTV works pretty well.

What was the problem with your mirrors?

DMCMW Dave
06-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Double sided tape (meant for automotive applications) should be fine, but be sure to cover the whole back of the mirror with it or you may get lines showing up over time.

mluder
06-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey Steve

Maybe someone can chime in here, but I've heard black silicone RTV works pretty well.

What was the problem with your mirrors?

The driver's side came off the guides competely. I took it apart, cleaned it out and reinstalled it using double sided foam tape. It's held fine for a month now but I want to redo it properly so it dowesnt fall apart in the rain.

Passenger side will move up and down but not side to side. I havene't had time to investigate it yet but I have bought a replacement mirror switch (I've heard that's typically the fix for this condition) but I want to check the tracking first.

Steve