PDA

View Full Version : General Cross-Country Drive

Ryan King
06-17-2011, 02:45 AM
Hey Folks!

SO my brother and I will be driving from Fresno, California across the country to Pennsylvania to set up our new lives there. We are ready for change, and Pennsylvania seems to be the place we would like to be..either Reading or the Philadelphia area.

Basically, I was inquiring and asking if any DeLorean owners are willing to put up with my brother and I for a night. Just looking for a bed to sleep in and a shower to use. We are planning on driving either through the bottom half or the top half of the US. Maybe Arizona, up through Utah, through Colorado etc. Or Arizona down through Texas and and parts of the South. We are hoping on not having to sleep in Wal-Mart parking lots and having to use campsites. If anyone is willing to lend a hand or give some advice, we would greatly appreciate it.

I will be towing my DeLorean on a trailer behind a 92 Chevy Sportvan. But would love to stop and pull the DeLorean off for a drive if anyone is up for that. Anywho, feel free to let me know!

-Ryan

uhhair
06-17-2011, 08:41 AM
When you get to PA, make sure to hit us up here at the DMA! Good luck and happy travels.

stevedmc
06-17-2011, 08:46 AM
You are welcome to stop at my house in Livingston, LA if you chose to take I-10 through the south. I am only a mile from the I-12. I-12 is basically a small shortcut most people take to bypass New Orleans and its traffic. I have an extra bedroom, shower, and a comfy sofa.

Ryan King
06-17-2011, 02:43 PM
You are welcome to stop at my house in Livingston, LA if you chose to take I-10 through the south. I am only a mile from the I-12. I-12 is basically a small shortcut most people take to bypass New Orleans and its traffic. I have an extra bedroom, shower, and a comfy sofa.

We might end up going that way...With all these wild fires in Colorado/Arizona are really making plans difficult.

stevedmc
06-17-2011, 02:52 PM
We might end up going that way...With all these wild fires in Colorado/Arizona are really making plans difficult.

Sounds good. Just let me know though. I don't know much about wild fires but one thing to consider is whether or not you are ready to deal with the summer temperatures of the south. If you do drive down here make sure your AC is working.

Stainless
06-17-2011, 03:42 PM
You're welcome to crash at my place for a night, except I fear I'm too far north for your ideal travel plans. If you plan on a detour close to Salt Lake, let me know.

content22207
06-17-2011, 05:41 PM
SO my brother and I will be driving from Fresno, California across the country to Pennsylvania to set up our new lives there....

snow noun (ˈsnō)
a: precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals formed directly from the water vapor of the air at a temperature of less than 32°F (0°C)
b: (1) : a descent or shower of snow crystals (2) : a mass of fallen snow crystals

Bill Robertson

Ryan King
06-17-2011, 05:45 PM
snow noun (ˈsnō)
a: precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals formed directly from the water vapor of the air at a temperature of less than 32°F (0°C)
b: (1) : a descent or shower of snow crystals (2) : a mass of fallen snow crystals

Bill Robertson

Thank you Bill. I am looking forward to snow, actually.

tyb323
06-17-2011, 08:00 PM

You say that now...

Safe travels, and DEFINITELY join us at some DMA events! Our next one is July 31st, not too far from the Philly area!

content22207
06-17-2011, 09:12 PM

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID31031/images/East_Coast_Snow_Storm.jpg

Bill Robertson

DMC3165
06-17-2011, 09:19 PM
I've had my D in the snow. It isn't that bad. Once back in 2000 we had an ice storm followed by 6 inches of snow. I was in Linden NJ and had to get back to Long Island. Everything was frozen solid so I had to come out with a heat gun to get the door open. After 30 mins in the snow I got the driver door open. Other then that it was a piece of cake. Of course most people thought i was insane driving my D in that weather. But at the time driving it seemed better then sleeping in it.

oh and if you come as far as Long Island you are welcome to crash here as well, of course that maybe slightly out of your way.

content22207
06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/imagenes_sociopol/globalfood32_02.jpg

Bill Robertson

dvonk
06-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Bill, are you just trying to "snow on his parade"? :lol:

*ducks*

content22207
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
You people choose to live up there. Personally, I would live in a cardboard box under a bridge before I moved to the Great Frozen North.

This is the damndest thing: I could almost understand people putting up with all that cold & snow if summertime temperatures never got above 70 or summertime humidity never got above 70%. But it is just as hot & humid in the northeast in July and August as it is down here!

Ryan will very quickly discover that the reason people tolerate California wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, riots, taxes, etc is because at least the weather is pretty.

Bill Robertson

ramblinmike
06-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Bill- your replies are hilarious. It is true though. I'm in Illinois - hot as anywhere else, 98% humidity in the summer, and winters suck here as well. My wife and I are having the "why haven't we moved?" talk more and more often......

TTait
06-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Ryan will very quickly discover that the reason people tolerate California wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, tsunamis, riots, taxes, etc is because at least the weather is pretty.

Bill Robertson

Bill, you are forgetting the main reason people leave California however: Delorean One!

Ryan King
06-18-2011, 02:11 AM
Bill, you are forgetting the main reason people leave California however: Delorean One!

California is an over-priced awful state. For me being a college kid, trying to start out, California is hard. Unemployment rates are higher, gas prices are higher, cost of living is higher, etc etc. California is a great place to retire to where you can live on the coast.

nullset
06-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Let me know if you're coming through Atlanta!

--buddy

Delorean Industries
06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
When you are crossing the great state of Ohio feel free to stop by.

tgraham
06-18-2011, 11:46 PM
You people choose to live up there. Personally, I would live in a cardboard box under a bridge before I moved to the Great Frozen North.

Ha! That's funny!

I have some family in Minnesota and the last time I went up there it was 5 degrees Fahrenheit with residual snow all over. As I was contemplating checking my toes for frostbite, they said the weather was "nice," not because it almost stopped showing that weekend, but because it was the first time in a while where the temperature was above 0 (yes, still Fahrenheit). That's what I call uninhabitable land! (No offense to the MN folks - you're clearly a lot tougher than I am!).

On the other end of the country, I have more family in Houston - summer there is mostly a broiling experience! Luckily here in middle TN there are about 2 (maybe 3 if you're lucky) weeks out of the year that are really nice. The rest of the year sucks. Maybe I'm even worse off?

Bottom line: I think you're screwed weather-wise pretty much everywhere... except CA :)

Travis

delornut
06-19-2011, 10:39 AM

This is the damndest thing: I could almost understand people putting up with all that cold & snow if summertime temperatures never got above 70 or summertime humidity never got above 70%. But it is just as hot & humid in the northeast in July and August as it is down here!

Bill Robertson

The cold winters do give one an opportunity to sit back and refect on life and find time to catch up on things like learning how to live with K-Jetronic fuel injection.

Bruce Benson
Minnesota

dvonk
06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Ha! That's funny...

i used to live in TN; the weather is definitely milder than the midwest. i work outside alot, and when the wind chill gets to -30°F, you know its cold. :biggrin:

although, my girlfriend is originally from North Dakota, and might call me a wuss... ;)

DeLorean
06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Reading is nice, Feel free to drop by and check out my DeLorean. I also have a lift DeLorean people are free to use.

Ryan King
06-21-2011, 05:03 AM
Reading is nice, Feel free to drop by and check out my DeLorean. I also have a lift DeLorean people are free to use.

You sir, are a god. I would love to meet up when I get there. And join the DMA

Dangermouse
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
gotta love snow threads in June :)

dmc6960
06-21-2011, 10:26 AM
When in Rome...

Ryan King
06-21-2011, 06:07 PM
So my brother and I are working out our route right now...

Stevedmc - Looks like we are going to be taking you up on your offer for an extra bedroom!

Nullset - Looks like you will be one stop on our route as well!

Thanks guys so much.

All of this is subject to change. But once we get a definitive route, I will PM you guys with my info and vice-versa, as I will be needing addresses and suc for our map.

Anyone live in the New Mexico area? Or Alabama? These are states where we have no one. :(

DMC1983
06-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Ah, couch surfing eh? Well, if you find yourself in the central ohio area I'd be willing to board ya

Ryan King
06-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Ah, couch surfing eh? Well, if you find yourself in the central ohio area I'd be willing to board ya

Thank you! I will let you know!!

stevedmc
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Sounds good. When do you plan on leaving?

Malevy
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
I am east of you, so offering a room wont be useful. I do look forward to meeting you when you get here.

DeLorean
06-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I am pretty much located at your end point, so I think the same is true for me - but if you needed one, I have about 15 free rooms, as I live in what can only be described as a former hotel :lol: If Reading is where you are headed, I can show you around. Can even take the DeLo.

Malevy
06-22-2011, 09:50 AM
I am pretty much located at your end point

Who are you?!

dhaney
06-22-2011, 03:01 PM
It sounds like you are not coming through Colorado... but if you do, it will be a little tight but I have a spare bedroom... You will have to do rock-paper-scissors for the bed but the water is hot and I may be able to pull the local DMC owners together for a tech/social session.

Dan

nullset
06-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Anyone live in the New Mexico area? Or Alabama? These are states where we have no one. :(

I used to live in Alabama. Don't stop there….just keep going through to Atlanta :)

--buddy

Ryan King
06-22-2011, 04:28 PM
I am PM'ing those of you who offered your homes to us! Thanks guys!

nullset
06-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Did you guys make the trip?

--buddy

stevedmc
06-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Did you guys make the trip?

--buddy

As far as I know they haven't left yet. I am still awaiting a phone call/PM so I know the deadline for cleaning my house. My house is a mess.

r00b
06-28-2011, 07:26 PM
They left on Sunday, they were having some car troubles yesterday.

Ryan King
06-29-2011, 12:07 AM
They left on Sunday, they were having some car troubles yesterday.

Yeah...sadly...we had to return home. Sadly, the heat got the best of us. My brother's Volvo Wagon fuel pump overheated, and my DeLorean's did as well. Actually...fuel got into the boot, shorted out the pump, melted my fuse, and caused me a whole mess of trouble. :/

So we limped back home to re-think our plan. I am sorry to those who generously helped us out. Hopefully, the offers will still stand later on.

dhaney
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Yeah...sadly...we had to return home. Sadly, the heat got the best of us. My brother's Volvo Wagon fuel pump overheated, and my DeLorean's did as well. Actually...fuel got into the boot, shorted out the pump, melted my fuse, and caused me a whole mess of trouble. :/

Sorry to hear about your troubles, if you decide to come through (Cooler) Colorado, my daughter is moving out in the next few weeks so I will have two bedrooms availible. Give us enough notice and we can even put together a club gathering in your honor.

Dan