PDA

View Full Version : DMC Mirror Switch

DeloreanJoshQ
06-18-2012, 09:50 AM
DMC mirror switch installed that I purchased from DCS 2012.
Looks and works great! Was very, very easy to replace!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/581064_10151819735560696_395941336_n.jpg

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/181467_10151819735755696_1680039845_n.jpg

Patrick C
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
How much $? Does it come with its own wiring harness or do you need to reuse the one on the old switch?

stevedmc
06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
All they sold you was a SAAB mirror switch. They can be found on eBay for about $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAAB-9-3-9-5-900-95-93-POWER-SIDE-VIEW-MIRROR-SWITCH-5241229-/260859241600?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASaab&hash=item3cbc6c2480&vxp=mtr

stevedmc
06-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Its okay for DMCH to use cheap parts but its terribly wrong for me to put a Saturn alternator on my car.

Anyway, here is the wiring info for anyone that wants to install a $20 switch instead of a $70 one.
http://www.eskin.net/open/saabswitch.html

ccurzio
06-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyway, here is the wiring info for anyone that wants to install a $20 switch instead of a $70 one.
http://www.eskin.net/open/saabswitch.html

I bought one of the Saab switches back when I thought the problem with my driver-side mirror was the switch itself. Turns out it was actually the mirror motor, and my stock switch works just fine. So I've got a spare Saab switch in my DeLorean cabinet.

Not long after I bought mine, DMCH announced they were manufacturing these new switches. I'd noted in the pics that it looked like they were very much sourcing the Saab part for their unit.

One good thing about the part from DMCH is that it's plug-and-play. You don't have to worry about cramming it into the old switch housing and cutting to fit (or buying a blanking plate and doing the same thing) or doing the rewiring efforts since that work is already done for you.

To some people that's worth the extra $50.

DMCMW Dave
06-23-2012, 04:36 PM
It's not a Saab switch although if Saab is (oops - was - they are dead!) buying the same one I wouldn't be surprised . BTW - $20 is probably for a used one.

There is more to it than the switch. The DMC version comes with a full harness that plugs into the switch and matches the DMC door harness. It is not spliced but is terminated into new connectors. It also includes the modified plastic DMC shell so you don't have to cut anything up. I'm shocked (but pleased) that it came out as cheap as it did.

The degree of difficulty in actually wiring it correctly (and some special wiring tools for the switch end of the harness) makes it very worth it.

Sure - you can solder together a bunch of other stuff, cut up some plastic, and make something work since all mirror switches pretty much work the same way electrically, but if you don't have the time/energy/electrical background it could be pretty frustrating. If you'd rather spend $20 and a couple hours making something fit, go for it, it's your time and money to value. But please don't think that this sort of development, or construction time is "free" in a commercial enterprise. The people constanly complaining about this sort of thing are not the average owner. Nothing wrong with doing what you say, but you are not the norm.

In a shop environment, the shop would have to charge to make up all the wiring, then to make it fit. Way more expensive than the cost of simply plugging in a completed assembly like this.

I suppose if they came out with an exact duplicate of the OE switch for $200, everyone would be happier?

ccurzio
06-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Dave said everything in his post that I was trying to say in mine, except better and with more detail. :)

Frankly, I'm glad we have the DMC centers around the country who employ really smart people to design and build these kinds of things. It's nice to have professional parts (and professional people like Dave here) to back up our very hack-prone community.

I'll be the first to say that while I'm an enthusiast and I like getting my hands dirty and trying to hack and fix shit on my car on my own, I'm also not knowledgable enough to do everything on my own and I need to lean on smarter people. And in some cases, that translates into prebuilt components.

stevedmc
06-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I was sorta thinking what Dave said, although I guess I'm too snobish at times. Personally I would just modify the old part but yeah, I know what Dave means about being in a shop. I used to do computer support at an hourly rate and many times it would be cheaper to replace parts (modems specifically) rather than spending hours on the internet searching for a driver. It was ridiculous but it made more sense to sell a $20 modem than to spend 90 minutes searching for and downloading drivers at $40/hour.

On another note, are they selling this thing with a new part for $70? If so this is sort of a bargain for a new SAAB style switch since the new ones are listed on eBay for about $140.

ccurzio
06-23-2012, 05:43 PM
It was ridiculous but it made more sense to sell a $20 modem than to spend 90 minutes searching for and downloading drivers at $40/hour.

Next time just sell a US Robotics (or similar) with the Hayes command set built-in and don't fuck around with drivers. ATH0=1, bitches.

Software modems are a pile of ass.

On another note, are they selling this thing with a new part for $70? If so this is sort of a bargain for a new SAAB style switch since the new ones are listed on eBay for about $140.

As far as I know, they are all new parts. Not used.

stevedmc
06-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Next time just sell a US Robotics (or similar) with the Hayes command set built-in and don't fuck around with drivers. ATH0=1, bitches.

Software modems are a pile of ass.

I loved the old ISA 16 bit modems that USR sold back in the day. Unfortunately those cost over $100 and it was the customer's money, not mine. We basically replaced generic $20 Winmodems with Acer $20 Winmodems instead of spending over an hour looking for drivers. We always gave the customer the option to bring in their driver disk, buy a better modem, buy a cheap modem, or pay us to keep searching at $40/hour. Can you guess which option they chose when they couldn't produce a driver disk?

ccurzio
06-23-2012, 05:54 PM
I loved the old ISA 16 bit modems that USR sold back in the day.

YES. That, and the serial versions. The "Sportster" series of USR modems were the best modems ever manufactured. Nobody uses modems anymore and I STILL hate every winmodem ever made. I still hate plug-and-play because it's so goddamned unreliable. Let me set Address/IRQ/DMA and Baud with jumpers, goddamn it.

But we're a bit off-topic here. Heh.

stevedmc
06-23-2012, 05:56 PM
YES. That, and the serial versions. The "Sportster" series of USR modems were the best modems ever manufactured. Nobody uses modems anymore and I STILL hate every winmodem ever made. I still hate plug-and-play because it's so goddamned unreliable. Let me set IRQ/DMA and Baud with jumpers, goddamn it.

Yep. That ISA modem had physical jumpers on it you could set to determine what COM port it would work on. You could even arrange the jumpers to make it plug in play.

ccurzio
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Yep. That ISA modem had physical jumpers on it you could set to determine what COM port it would work on. You could even arrange the jumpers to make it plug in play.

I don't give a shit what anyone says, ISAPnP was never buggy for me and always worked immediately. Anyone who had issues with it wasn't setting their jumpers correctly or didn't have their BIOS configured to detect it. Period.

stevedmc
06-23-2012, 05:59 PM

I just remembered, that modem cost something like $200 back when I was a kid. Lets just say me and a friend managed to acquire two of those things and we were only 15 year old kids. It involved some nerd mischief but we pulled it off.

DMCMW Dave
06-23-2012, 07:22 PM
As far as I know, they are all new parts. Not used.

Yes - all new parts, (the outer shell is NOS).

PS - I fully expect Steve to make a binnacle competely out of fiberglass using about $14 worth of resin, cloth, and spray paint. And then complain that we can't sell binnacles for $14. :evil3:

stevedmc
06-23-2012, 07:26 PM

PS - I fully expect Steve to make a binnacle competely out of fiberglass using about $14 worth of resin, cloth, and spray paint. And then complain that we can't sell binnacles for $14. :evil3:

Hehe. That would be awesome.

DeloreanJoshQ
06-23-2012, 09:22 PM
All they sold you was a SAAB mirror switch. They can be found on eBay for about $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAAB-9-3-9-5-900-95-93-POWER-SIDE-VIEW-MIRROR-SWITCH-5241229-/260859241600?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASaab&hash=item3cbc6c2480&vxp=mtr

That's close, but not it. It's a domestic car manufacture(s) switch.
I'm looking forward to your reproduction binnacle being available (as a high quality/low price part) to the community.

Dangermouse
06-23-2012, 11:34 PM

Knowing Steve's penchant for accuracy, it would cost him $14.5416

stevedmc
06-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Knowing Steve's penchant for accuracy, it would cost him $14.5416

This is what I am hoping to produce with $14.5416 in materials. I hope to sell the first unit to a beta tester for about $100. Once I know it is a solid piece unit it will sell somewhere between $200 to $250 depending on what DMCH decides to sell their binnacles for. The goal is to keep the price $100 below the Houston price.

tjd
06-25-2012, 10:47 AM
I suppose if they came out with an exact duplicate of the OE switch for $200, everyone would be happier?

I for one would be. That switch does not look period correct for a car built in 1981-1982. From the outside this looks like another case of DMCH taking a low-cost approach when it comes to their reproduction/"improved" replacement parts as opposed to the emphasis being on quality and or being the correct part for a DeLorean. Frankly that looks like a round peg stuck in a square hole, and is completely out of place with the rest of the interior and looks hacked in. Fortunately at this time I don't have to but I'd rather live with a broken switch then put that part in my car.

82DMC12
06-25-2012, 10:56 AM
+1. I'll never buy that new switch for this exact reason. I hope someone comes up with an improved original style switch. Dave M.? :-D

Andy

I for one would be. That switch does not look period correct for a car built in 1981-1982. From the outside this looks like another case of DMCH taking a low-cost approach when it comes to their reproduction/"improved" replacement parts as opposed to the emphasis being on quality and or being the correct part for a DeLorean. Frankly that looks like a round peg stuck in a square hole, and is completely out of place with the rest of the interior and looks hacked in. Fortunately at this time I don't have to but I'd rather live with a broken switch then put that part in my car.

Patrick C
06-25-2012, 05:12 PM

But at the same time, if an exact reproduction costs $300, how many are actually going to sell? I'd go for functionality and price over form when it comes to this part. Seems like a great replacement to me.

tjd
06-25-2012, 05:51 PM
if an exact reproduction costs $300, how many are actually going to sell? I'd go for functionality and price over form when it comes to this part.

Not having the correct switch may be OK with you and obviously others who don't mind modifying the car from stock in many ways. But this switch does not work for me. And it stands out as not belonging in or being correct for the car. Of course DMCH would have difficulty selling a higher price part to the "majority" when they have already taken the short cut by providing a low cost incorrect part. But if they did not cut the corner in the 1st place and the correct "$300" replacement was your only alternative to a broken switch they would still sell mirror switches regardless of price. Sure some like Steve would still modify a $20 Saab switch and that would be good enough for him, but I would not assume that to be the majority. People will pay whatever it costs for the off the shelf plug and play replacement within reason. The DeLorean hobby is not an inexpensive one.

ccurzio
06-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Of course DMCH would have difficulty selling a higher price part to the "majority" when they have already taken the short cut by providing a low cost incorrect part. But if they did not cut the corner in the 1st place and the correct "$300" replacement was your only alternative to a broken switch they would still sell mirror switches regardless of price.

This is absolutely wrong for a few reasons. First, DMCH is a business, not a charity. Their purpose of existing is to make money. If they came out with a $200 "correct" replacement, they would sell around half a dozen or so and never ever recoup their R&D costs for making the thing. That's an unprofitable venture which translates to a bad business decision. So instead, they make available an inexpensive alternative that will work for more people (certainly the majority) because that's a smart business decision which falls in-line with the requirements of the clientele.

Sure some like Steve would still modify a $20 Saab switch and that would be good enough for him, but I would not assume that to be the majority. People will pay whatever it costs for the off the shelf plug and play replacement within reason.
Then you have no idea how business markets work. If the choice was between a $300 part versus a $20 part with an hour or two worth of work, the "majority" of the market is going to choose the latter, even if they need to outsource the effort for proper assembly. The key phrase in your statement is "within reason", and a $280 difference in cost (or even $180) is definitely far outside that realm. However, DMCH making a smart business decision means that they've determined that a $50 cost for a functional plug-and-play replacement is absolutely within that realm.

For something as small and out-of-the-way as a mirror adjustment joystick that's around two inches big and appears ONCE in an inconspicuous area of the entire interior, most people just don't give a shit. You might be anal about having every inch of your car meeting concours standards, but most people aren't and would be happy with a functional replacement versus an aesthically-correct as well as functional replacement.

Why do you think the Saab hack is so freaking popular?

Notifier
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
If the look of the Saab switch was a concern, you could always buy the Saab switch and a blank plate. Plug in the Saab switch, adjust your mirrors where you like them, unplug the Saab switch, and finally install the blank plate. If you are the only driver, you really shouldn't have to move the mirrors much after that. At least I never do, even in my daily driver.

Better yet, remote the mirror switch under the dash to hide it and install a blank plate in the old switch location. Would involve chasing some wires and doing a little re-wiring if you were up to it.

The mirror switch in my DeLoran is half-operative, I seriously considered just pulling the thing out and shorting the wires to get the mirrors in their optimum position, and closing everything up, leaving the broken switch there.

tjd
06-25-2012, 06:52 PM
If they came out with a $200 "correct" replacement, they would sell around half a dozen or so and never ever recoup their R&D costs for making the thing.

That is your opinion, not fact.

Fact is this switch is an incorrect replacement part, a part which I find unacceptable for my car. It is a "low cost" If the $200 estimate for a correct replacement switch quote posted by Dave Swingle is rooted in fact and not just an example.

If my original part failed I would only be satisfied with a correct replacement. I would not purchase this switch from DMCH for any amount nor would I install an aesthetically period/DeLorean incorrect replacement in my car, especially somewhere where it can be seen. This part IMO detracts from the original design of the cars interior and is a visible eyesore.

I would not buy a DeLorean if I noticed that switch installed without deducting $$$ to source a correct working part.

This is not a cheap hobby and you never get ahead $$$ wise by taking shortcuts.

ccurzio
06-25-2012, 07:25 PM
That is your opinion, not fact.

No, that's pretty much a fact.

Your basis for your posts is what YOU would do on YOUR car and what YOU find to be "an incorrect replacement" for YOUR car. If YOU want to spend an inordinate amount of money to replace a minor part to match your interior detail then you are free to do so and nobody is stopping you. But don't for a minute assume that it your rationale somehow translates to many, or even the majority of DeLorean owners.

If my original part failed I would only be satisfied with a correct replacement.

Therein lies the difference. Most people would be satisfied with a functional replacement. If it were bright pink and had flashing lights then I can certainly see where there would be some objection, but for most installations the "new" part will work just fine for most people needing a replacement switch. DMCH recognized this need and sourced the appropriate part, then fabricated a drop-in replacement.

Like I said, the reason the Saab switch hack is as popular as it is, is because the majority of owners don't give a shit about a switch that's aesthetically identical to the stock switch. They just want something that works as well as being similar in size to the original so it can fit into where the original switch sat.

That's also why I bought that exact same Saab switch (before I realized that my switch wasn't the problem). I'm a really good example of a "typical" DeLorean owner, if one can be defined.

mluder
06-25-2012, 07:48 PM
If the look of the Saab switch was a concern, you could always buy the Saab switch and a blank plate. Plug in the Saab switch, adjust your mirrors where you like them, unplug the Saab switch, and finally install the blank plate. If you are the only driver, you really shouldn't have to move the mirrors much after that. At least I never do, even in my daily driver.

Better yet, remote the mirror switch under the dash to hide it and install a blank plate in the old switch location. Would involve chasing some wires and doing a little re-wiring if you were up to it.

The mirror switch in my DeLoran is half-operative, I seriously considered just pulling the thing out and shorting the wires to get the mirrors in their optimum position, and closing everything up, leaving the broken switch there.

This is funny to me because my mirror switch works however I have a wiring problem somewhere between the switch and the passenger side mirror. Not having the time or necesity to tear off the t-panel, etc to run the problem down just yet I temporarily ran jumpers from the switch accross the car to the mirror connector to adjust it. Haven't needed to re-adjust since and that was about 2 motnhs ago.

Cheers
Steve

Nicholas R
06-25-2012, 08:16 PM
I never realized that mirror switches were such a failure prone part. Guess I should be happy my original still works.

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 08:18 PM
I never realized that mirror switches were such a failure prone part. Guess I should be happy my original still works.

My original one still works as well. When it fails I'm going to replace it with a carburetor.

82DMC12
06-25-2012, 08:36 PM

They actually are.

Anyway, I like having the choice to keep my car original or modified. I don't like having only one choice as an "official solution from the dealer" : to install a period incorrect and out of place interior switch. I would have preferred they come up with a solution to rebuild the original switch and I don't care if it costs $200 or whatever. I'm not rich but I like my car the way it is and don't want to replace a part with another that looks totally different unless I want to do that.

Of course there is always used market but that can take a while to source and have unknown life remaining.

It doesn't make tyb or myself elitists, we just like the car as-is and we are willing to pay more to keep certain things original. And there are plenty of owners like us, I'm sure of that.

Andy

Patrick C
06-25-2012, 09:30 PM

I've gone through 3 NOS ones, before doing the SAAB replacement on a blanking cap. Each of my NOS ones fell apart when removing them from the door and ball bearings shot everywhere.

Cory W
06-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I've gone through 3 NOS ones, before doing the SAAB replacement on a blanking cap. Each of my NOS ones fell apart when removing them from the door and ball bearings shot everywhere.

If you're only missing the ball bearings, I can rebuild it.

Patrick C
06-25-2012, 09:38 PM
If you're only missing the ball bearings, I can rebuild it.

The plastic got pried apart at the same time and they are long gone. Sorry.

tjd
06-25-2012, 11:06 PM
No, that's pretty much a fact.

Your basis for your posts is what YOU would do on YOUR car and what YOU find to be "an incorrect replacement" for YOUR car. If YOU want to spend an inordinate amount of money to replace a minor part to match your interior detail then you are free to do so and nobody is stopping you. But don't for a minute assume that it your rationale somehow translates to many, or even the majority of DeLorean owners.

Therein lies the difference. Most people would be satisfied with a functional replacement. If it were bright pink and had flashing lights then I can certainly see where there would be some objection, but for most installations the "new" part will work just fine for most people needing a replacement switch. DMCH recognized this need and sourced the appropriate part, then fabricated a drop-in replacement.

Like I said, the reason the Saab switch hack is as popular as it is, is because the majority of owners don't give a shit about a switch that's aesthetically identical to the stock switch. They just want something that works as well as being similar in size to the original so it can fit into where the original switch sat.

That's also why I bought that exact same Saab switch (before I realized that my switch wasn't the problem). I'm a really good example of a "typical" DeLorean owner, if one can be defined.

It's not the correct DeLorean part (<fact) nor does it even remotely resemble it. Nor does it blend well with the rest of the design of the interior (<opinions).

Why do I get the feeling that if this was a part that was visible on screen in "Back To The Future" and they botched up the replacement part like this it would then become an issue for you?

Also why do you think people are not satisfied with recovered binnacles? Because having stitching is incorrect except in rare exceptions in some of the earliest cars. Yes this is a smaller item but I'd say this "fix" is significantly less correct then a recovered binnacle, and to me it is far more offensive.

I like having the choice to keep my car original or modified. I don't like having only one choice as an "official solution from the dealer" : to install a period incorrect and out of place interior switch. I would have preferred they come up with a solution to rebuild the original switch and I don't care if it costs $200 or whatever. I'm not rich but I like my car the way it is and don't want to replace a part with another that looks totally different unless I want to do that.

I agree with you 100%. Owning a DeLorean is not a cheap hobby and anyone who does not realize this and isn't prepared to or have the resources to shell out $$$$ ($200 for a correct part for example) at times really should rethink if a DeLorean is the right fit for them at this point in their life.

Tillsy
06-25-2012, 11:36 PM
My original one still works as well. When it fails I'm going to replace it with a carburetor.

ROTFL!!! Man I'm wiping away tears from laughing so hard!!! :hysterical:

dvonk
06-26-2012, 12:51 AM
haha, steve i am literally laughing out loud over here. :lol:

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 08:52 AM
On a serious note, everyone knows a motorcraft 2100 carburetor won't fit in that little space.

Seriously, I've decided to replace my switch with one of these. At least it will match the age of the car. http://img.tapatalk.com/b82e7861-b095-5aea.jpg

DMCMW Dave
06-26-2012, 09:16 AM
I hade one last NOS switch on the shelf here for at least 3 years. Not exactly a high demand item. Ya'll had your chance at that one. It went into a detailed restoration car here about a month ago. I had several inquiries over the years, all but one elected to wait for the reproduction unit.

The biggest problem with the OE switch is that on early cars the access slot in the support bracket of the door was missing. This made it almost impossible to remove the switch without breaking it. Many of them got destroyed by people fixing other things in the doors. (we drill a couple of holes to mimic the later cars to prevent this problem). The switches were overall pretty fragile.

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 10:53 AM
My original switch works fine and is for sale. $300 and I'll even ship it for free.

tjd
06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
I hade one last NOS switch on the shelf here for at least 3 years. Not exactly a high demand item. Ya'll had your chance at that one. It went into a detailed restoration car here about a month ago. I had several inquiries over the years, all but one elected to wait for the reproduction unit.

What was the main reason that most of these inquiries resulted in a no sale Dave? Was it asking price? Or was it the OE part being considered inferior because of the customers experience with their original breaking so they opted to wait for "improved" switches to be developed?

DMCMW Dave
06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
What was the main reason that most of these inquiries resulted in a no sale Dave? Was it asking price? Or was it the OE part being considered inferior because of the customers experience with their original breaking so they opted to wait for "improved" switches to be developed?

Both. People are price sensitive, and most would rather have a newer design part that should be more reliable. Honestly nobody seemed to care about the originality issue.

tjd
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Both. People are price sensitive, and most would rather have a newer design part that should be more reliable. Honestly nobody seemed to care about the originality issue.

I understand that, but you would think some consideration would be put into whether the switch is period correct or even fits with the design of the existing interior. The interior of your car is the second thing people most often look at after the stainless.

1st this part is not a color match for the other trim pieces in this assembly; door handle, vents etc. Also you will notice that the design of the components are all squared, while this switch assembly is oval. It does not blend well with the rest of the existing interiors design cues.

Sorry I would not buy this part for any price or allow it to be installed into my car, hopefully my OE mirror switch wont break because if this is what DMCH thinks is a suitable replacement for the OE switch then their standards are far lower then my own.

dmc6960
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
The new DMC switch also lights up. Didn't see that mentioned here yet.

I guess I'll also mention this here. I'm too cheap to buy one of these online so I'm waiting for my local junkyard to get one of the cars in so I could grab it myself...

Its the mirror switch off of a Nissan 200sx. Elvis hinted that this part was a good fit and visually it does look very close. If your really finicky you can remove the L/R paint and grind down the joystick head enough to glue the square cap from the original switch on it. However again, your completely on your own to do this yourself, along with matching up all of the wiring. Just like everyone else said there is still a lot going for an already made-to-fit product that most people will not mind the different appearance.

mluder
06-26-2012, 02:05 PM
The new DMC switch also lights up. Didn't see that mentioned here yet.

I guess I'll also mention this here. I'm too cheap to buy one of these online so I'm waiting for my local junkyard to get one of the cars in so I could grab it myself...

Its the mirror switch off of a Nissan 200sx. Elvis hinted that this part was a good fit and visually it does look very close. If your really finicky you can remove the L/R paint and grind down the joystick head enough to glue the square cap from the original switch on it. However again, your completely on your own to do this yourself, along with matching up all of the wiring. Just like everyone else said there is still a lot going for an already made-to-fit product that most people will not mind the different appearance.

That's an interresting option for only $20. I'm half tempted to buy one to see how it works out even though I don't need it.

Cheers.
Steve

DMCMW Dave
06-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Sorry I would not buy this part for any price or allow it to be installed into my car, hopefully my OE mirror switch wont break because if this is what DMCH thinks is a suitable replacement for the OE switch then their standards are far lower then my own.

You probably won't have to. About 3 posts back is someone who will sell you the one out of his car for $300. He'll just get a replacement. I don't see a bunch of people posting to take him up on the offer. I would bet that I could get my hands on 10 switches today under the same circumstances.

So if you really need one (which you are not likely to) you will always be able to get one. Six months ago that may not have been the case as there was no easy swap. So in a roundabout we we have made OE switches available!

This is true on many specialty parts on this car - if you want a gas flap hood bad enough you will find someone who does not care about such details who will sell it right off his car, since he knows he can get a flat one and make $2000 on the deal.

tjd
06-26-2012, 04:45 PM
You probably won't have to. About 3 posts back is someone who will sell you the one out of his car for $300. He'll just get a replacement. I don't see a bunch of people posting to take him up on the offer. I would bet that I could get my hands on 10 switches today under the same circumstances.

So if you really need one (which you are not likely to) you will always be able to get one. Six months ago that may not have been the case as there was no easy swap. So in a roundabout we we have made OE switches available!

This is true on many specialty parts on this car - if you want a gas flap hood bad enough you will find someone who does not care about such details who will sell it right off his car, since he knows he can get a flat one and make $2000 on the deal.

Thanks for your insight Dave! you are always helpful, and hopefully I don't ever end up needing to replace the original switch anyway.

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 04:48 PM

That was me. I'm seriously thinking about removing mine, taking some pictures of it, and putting it on eBay for $300 (with free shipping). I really need to start selling some Delorean parts on eBay.

tjd
06-26-2012, 05:02 PM
That was me. I'm seriously thinking about removing mine, taking some pictures of it, and putting it on eBay for $300 (with free shipping). I really need to start selling some Delorean parts on eBay.

Steve since your in the mood to just remove parts from your car and put them on eBay I'll give you a $1,000 right now if you want to sell me your LFF! :smile:

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Steve since your in the mood to just remove parts from your car and put them on eBay I'll give you a $1,000 right now if you want to sell me your LFF! :smile:

$4,000 and it is yours.

DeloreanJoshQ
06-26-2012, 09:47 PM

My original mirror switch is available and for sale now that I like the new switch. I'll sell mine for $250. It also came apart even with careful prying up on it to get into the door. I was lucky and spent an hour figuring out how to put it back together with alot of patience and reading glasses; it works fine. The top part of the joystick will pop off once in awhile. I was just tired of the ticking timebomb that it can be in use or when servicing the door....

So now there are two original Delorean mirror switches available. If DMCH comes up with an exact copy, I'll just lower my price below there's like the left front fender situation that would happen....

Also, I don't recall the new mirror switch lighting up....someone show me a picture of this feature.....

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 09:50 PM
My original mirror switch is available and for sale now.......... I'll sell mine for $250.

The price of mine has been reduced to $249 (shipping included). Order in the next 30 days and I will even include a generous portion of peanuts.

Ryan King
06-27-2012, 12:18 AM
I haven't touched my mirrors since I bought my car in 2005. I am the only one who drives it.

Chris 16409
06-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Here's how my Saab switch turned out. Can't seem to find a picture of it installed in my car at the moment.

Jeff K
06-29-2012, 01:30 PM
YES. That, and the serial versions. The "Sportster" series of USR modems were the best modems ever manufactured. Nobody uses modems anymore and I STILL hate every winmodem ever made. I still hate plug-and-play because it's so goddamned unreliable. Let me set Address/IRQ/DMA and Baud with jumpers, goddamn it.

Plug and play is unreliable? You gotta be kidding right? ::mallet:

I've been around computers since the CPM days (Kaypro II) , they have never been better.

stevedmc
06-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Plug and play is unreliable? You gotta be kidding right?

I guess you've never seen plug and play devices fight for the same IRQ. I saw it all the time between devices. It was even more agravating when USB stuff came out.

Ron
06-29-2012, 03:12 PM
+1 Chris and Steve

I've been around since punch cards and tape, and paid a lot of my college expenses swapping out modems and such hit by lightning...and, yeah, modems were "plug and play"...after you figured out to quit playing around with all of the IRQs and settings, UN-plug all of the cards, remove all modem drivers, and install the (new) modem first. Bastards!

[We now return you to our regularly scheduled program.]

stevedmc
06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
I've been around since punch cards and tape, and paid a lot of my college expenses swapping out modems and such hit by lightning...

I used to make a lot of money replacing modems that had been zapped by lightening too. Whats funny is I fought (verbally) with a guy who worked for the phone company who insisted that zapped modems were impossible because of lightening protection at the pole outside.

Ron
06-29-2012, 04:01 PM
I used to make a lot of money replacing modems that had been zapped by lightening too. Whats funny is I fought (verbally) with a guy who worked for the phone company who insisted that zapped modems were impossible because of lightening protection at the pole outside.Idiot!

Been there too... I wound up at the main office here once and, long story short, the argument ended when I told the dumbass manager, "Well if God himself made the protector it only means it [the lightning] would have to travel a couple of more inches!" -- They paid the guy.

1batt4u
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
The New Camaros have the same switch!!!

Notifier
06-29-2012, 04:55 PM
The New Camaros have the same switch!!!

Guess GM has to use up all those Saab parts somehow!

DeloreanJoshQ
07-30-2012, 10:53 PM
So now one goes on Ebay to test what these things are really worth...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-1982-19...sories&vxp=mtr

If you are a purist and despise the one DMC now offers, here you go...

tjd
07-31-2012, 09:17 AM
I don't know why I bother responding to you. But questions that arise from your listing, assuming it is a working switch as the listing says if the switch you are selling is the one that was on your car why did you replace a working OEM switch in the 1st place?

If your auction is to ascertain what the "value" of an OEM switch is it will not be very much as DMC in Texas has made the decision to offer a "cheap" modern generic replacement (which you already know obviously) instead of reproducing at a higher cost an identical switch to the OEM part or even something that's at least period correct. We've been through this.

The "majority" opinion here is function is what matters not aesthetics. The other argument is this is not a cheap hobby and I and I would assume others (however unbelievable that is to you and others here) would prefer that if DMC is going to offer "official" DMC branded replacement parts that are visible in the interior/exterior that they stick to period correct for a 1981-1983 car and preferably replicate the OEM part whenever possible.

tjd
07-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Would also like to add that if I were interested in a OEM switch like the one you are selling which I am not (mine works) that I would go to a reputable vendor to source an OEM replacement before I'd ever consider bidding on an eBay auction that has a disclaimer like

Since this is an electrical part, I can not accept returns because I have no control over the installation of the switch that may be damaged by the user or vehicle electrical system.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and fall short of accusing you of knowingly listing a nonworking part, even though you have acknowledged replacing this part in your car. Common sense would suggest you wouldn't buy a replacement if your OEM switch worked or you could get it to work.

Bottom line I'd go to a reputable vendor before spending a nickel on a listing like this, and I'd recommend anyone that might be interested to contact your favorite vendor before taking chances on someone that wont stand behind what they sell.

dmc6960
07-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow, just wow. :ehh:

Ron
07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Wow, just wow. :ehh:
+1

...let's get back to the mirror switch...the DMC Mirror Switch

mluder
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
To be fair to Josh, I too have an extra switch... I'm not planning on selling it right now though. My switch was finicky at times and so soon after I learned of the scarcity of them I happened upon one on e-bay and bought it up. Have not installed it but am hanging onto it as a back up. If I did decide to sellit it doesn't mean I'm trying to take advantage of someone.

I think Josh is just trying to state that last ime he had it installed it was working but that due to the finicky nature of the switch your mileage may vary upon installation. It's not uncommon to see people covering their asses on ebay... it's up to the buyer to decide.

Cheers.
Steve

stevedmc
07-31-2012, 10:41 PM
So now one goes on Ebay to test what these things are really worth...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-1982-19...sories&vxp=mtr

If you are a purist and despise the one DMC now offers, here you go...

What happened to the auction?

DeMopar
07-31-2012, 11:09 PM
So how long have the NOS switches been unavailable? Just curious.

DeloreanJoshQ
08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
To be fair to Josh, I too have an extra switch... I'm not planning on selling it right now though. My switch was finicky at times and so soon after I learned of the scarcity of them I happened upon one on e-bay and bought it up. Have not installed it but am hanging onto it as a back up. If I did decide to sellit it doesn't mean I'm trying to take advantage of someone.

I think Josh is just trying to state that last ime he had it installed it was working but that due to the finicky nature of the switch your mileage may vary upon installation. It's not uncommon to see people covering their asses on ebay... it's up to the buyer to decide.

Cheers.
Steve

Thanks Steve, I'm in complete agreement with what you said.

I'm not sure what was said prior because I have certain people on my block list due to their repetitive negative, assumptive, annoying, and/or falsely informational posts. I don't like people bringing me down after reading their opinion and don't have time for it. However, it sounds like my switch's functionality is being questioned.

I bought the new switch at DCS in Orlando on a spontaneous decision; I saw it laying there at the DMC table and thought, "cool, I didn't know they have that.. I'll pick one up...it will fit in my luggage". I don't need the original. However, if it doesn't sell for enough, I'll just hold onto it as it does work.

If a serious buyer on here wants to see the switch function, I can provide an HD video of it reinstalled and working since it isn't that hard to replace; though it sounds like that may not be enough proof for some...

Yes, I want to cover my ass on ebay because someone may not have proper mechanical knowledge/experience, jam the connection, or have another issue with their car wiring or mounting location(which can cause the switch to come apart if forced) and blame the part for the problem. And then I get back a now bad, abused, or broken part. It's only smart on my part and it is clearly stated, so that should eliminate people I don't want to deal with.

I'm not sure why the link doesn't work, I just looked it up on ebay...try this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-1982-1983-Delorean-DMC-12-Original-Power-Mirror-Switch-No-Longer-Available-/300745522850?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4605d47ea2&vxp=mtr

stevedmc
08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Mine is going up on eBay if you manage to get $200 for it. I need money to get a new radio for the mustang.

Ron
08-01-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm not sure why the link doesn't work, I just looked it up on ebay...try this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-1982-1983-Delorean-DMC-12-Original-Power-Mirror-Switch-No-Longer-Available-/300745522850?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4605d47ea2&vxp=mtr

Could be because you pasted the link and then shortened it?
You can change the text after you type/paste it in and manually add a link to it. But not when pasting a link to begin with because it changes the link's path.

stevedmc
08-04-2012, 11:32 AM

I retract my comments about the DMCH mirror switch being a little pricey. It is actually somewhat of a bargain. If I jump on the band wagon and sell my original switch, I will obviously need to replace it. The bad news is I would no longer have a wiring harness. I would also need a blank plate which sells for $56 (I think) and a used SAAB switch which would cost about $20. I would still need to make some sort of wiring harness as well. Not including the wiring harness my cost would be about $76. The DMCH SAAB switch sells for $69 and is ready for installation with ZERO modification.

I don't praise DMCH for everything they do but this is a bargain. When they do good I speak out about it.

refugeefromcalif
10-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Nobody uses modems anymore

Au Contraire.
I connect up to the Internet, (at home) using an Honest-to-Goodness telephone modem...
There are still places in this country that the only option for High Speed Internet is Satellite, (at a High cost for Limited usage).

I use my Trusty Zoom USB modem at home. :)
(Everywhere else, I use my iPhone or laptop, and free Wi-Fi). :D

George

JMLaux
12-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Has anyone noticed the price spike of the blanking caps over the last 6 months? From $2.78 to $71.55 is a pretty big jump. It is now cheaper to by the reproduction mirror switch than it is to buy a blanking cap and a Saab mirror switch. When did these reproductions start coming out? :rolleyes1:

Patrick C
12-22-2012, 04:47 PM
has anyone noticed the price spike of the blanking caps over the last 6 months? From $2.78 to $71.55 is a pretty big jump.

wow!!!

sdg3205
12-22-2012, 06:44 PM
wow!!!

Hilarious. I totally have one of these ordered for my carbon canister. Looking like duct tape will be the replacement down the road.

DeloreanJoshQ
12-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Has anyone noticed the price spike of the blanking caps over the last 6 months? From $2.78 to $71.55 is a pretty big jump. It is now cheaper to by the reproduction mirror switch than it is to buy a blanking cap and a Saab mirror switch. When did these reproductions start coming out? :rolleyes1:

See Post #73 ($56), where did you get the $2.78 figure from?

JMLaux
12-23-2012, 01:36 AM
See Post #73 ($56), where did you get the $2.78 figure from?

From my "unimportant stuff but cheap enough to replace" spreadsheet which I updated earlier this year. The price seems to have been pretty consistant over the last 11 years as well according to web.archive.org. Now granted, the people that bought up these to retrofit the Saab switch drove up the price, but even at $56 that makes the markup of this one part around 1,914% I am very thankful that DMCH has helped to the dream alive, but this just makes me go hmmmmm.

JMLaux
12-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Hilarious. I totally have one of these ordered for my carbon canister. Looking like duct tape will be the replacement down the road.

I was actually talking about PN: 106249 The passenger door blanking cap for power mirrors. For the rubber cap on the carbon canister I used a vinyl bolt cover cap from home depot similar to these:

Seals great and I don't have to worry about rubber cracking and falling off in the pontoon and causing a vacuum leak.