PDA

View Full Version : Heat & A/C Broken Vacuum line

dmcburn75
06-17-2011, 09:14 AM
After removing my center console I noticed one of the vacuum lines on the driver side that runs to the rear is broken. It is the thinner plastic type line; I've been having problems with my AC getting cold and was just wondering if this could be the problem? As always I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I believe it is this line that is broken
http://www.delorean.com/store/p-7781-vacuum-piping.aspx

John U
06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
I am not positive which line you are talking about, but the really thin plastic line in the engine bay goes to the heater control valve....could be your problem?

82DMC12
06-17-2011, 01:30 PM
After removing my center console I noticed one of the vacuum lines on the driver side that runs to the rear is broken. It is the thinner plastic type line; I've been having problems with my AC getting cold and was just wondering if this could be the problem? As always I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I believe it is this line that is broken
http://www.delorean.com/store/p-7781-vacuum-piping.aspx

Do you hear any hissing? Do the ducting doors move when you turn the mode switch? If not, the vacuum line that runs from the carbon canister is probably broken. You would lose all vacuum to the climate control system including the heater control valve. If you don't hear the doors moving or a slight hiss with each click of the mode switch you probably don't have vacuum.

Where exactly is the broken vacuum line?

Andy

dmcburn75
06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Andy, it is on the driver side of the console coming from the AC panel running towards the back of the engine. It's either going to to heater valve or the pontoon vacuum canister. It is a very slim plastic line, not the thicker rubber one.

When I turn the AC switch to off I can hear a slight hiss that goes away if I twist it ever so slightly. The heat blows very hot but the ac is about 65 degrees. I wonder if the broken vacuum line is causing an actuator not to operate thus causing the lack of cooling? I checked my freon charge with gauges and it all seems within limits.

82DMC12
06-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Andy, it is on the driver side of the console coming from the AC panel running towards the back of the engine. It's either going to to heater valve or the pontoon vacuum canister. It is a very slim plastic line, not the thicker rubber one.

When I turn the AC switch to off I can hear a slight hiss that goes away if I twist it ever so slightly. The heat blows very hot but the ac is about 65 degrees. I wonder if the broken vacuum line is causing an actuator not to operate thus causing the lack of cooling? I checked my freon charge with gauges and it all seems within limits.

If you hear a hiss, that means you have vacuum. It's probably the hose that goes to the heater control valve. Perhaps it has failed in such a way that the heater valve is stuck open and the heater core is full of hot coolant. That would reduce A/C performance.

Unfortunately that's all I can add to this topic. I don't think I've ever traced those vacuum lines. I'm pretty sure the one that goes to the center console is plastic though.

You could reach behind the engine while it's running, remove the hose from the heater valve, and see if the vacuum changes with the mode switch position from heater to A/C. That should narrow things down.

Andy

stevedmc
06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
The heat blows very hot but the ac is about 65 degrees.

Is this while driving or while the car idles? I am running r134a and it cools at 60 degrees while the car idles and 45 degrees while driving.