PDA

View Full Version : General Matt's Custom Graphic Overlay Projects Thread - (Want Your Thoughts/Ideas!)

kajcienski
06-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Hello all!

BACKGROUND ON PROJECT: Some of you might have seen the step-by-step thread through my custom A/C Fascia Panel installation (now completed with the new Parrot stereo!) - I wanted to start a new thread to share a few current and upcoming projects/ideas that use my new graphic overlay fabrication method. As I discovered in my HVAC project, having a reputable company produce just a few custom graphic overlays for my AC Panel ran into many thousands of dollars. After a crap load of research and experimentation, I found a way to produce the exact (if not better) result I wanted that matches both the original and modern graphic overlay fabrication. I built up quite an arsenal of materials and knowledge so have thought of a few follow-up projects using the overlay method I came up with. Would love any comments or thoughts.

CURRENT PROJECTS: These current projects (for my personal car) include a new auto shifter overlay to match the style, color, and font type of my recently completed HVAC project. I am also working on a hidden plug/port panel inside the ashtray for the USB and iPhone mounts coming from the Parrot stereo (again with a matching backlit graphic overlay). The ashtray will appear stock when closed, then when opened, will reveal a lighted panel to plug in devices. Lastly, I am thinking of doing custom decals for the "lights" and "hazards" switches since they tend to wear with use - perhaps new colors or updated graphics. I will be posting pictures and progress on these projects over the next few weeks.

FUTURE PROJECTS (YOUR IDEAS): Since I love sharing ideas and projects with the community, I thought I would open up the floor and see if anyone had any creative input for a graphic overlay project that would be in demand for the community? I have two project ideas on the burner. The first is an exact replica of the earlier HVAC decals for the 5000 VINs. The only NOS ones available are the late versions and this would be an opportunity to create something for those who want the stock look for early VINs. The second project would be a really nifty one. I am told that the original intent of the HVAC panel was to appear "black" and then when the car turns on, the surface would light up revealing the type and graphics (this is why the lights were deigned to be on all of the time). Very ahead of its time for a car from 1980 (Thanks for this info Dave!).

Thoughts?

Reference: Here are pictures of the finished graphic overlay from my custom HVAC installation. (there is some light leaking through the light panel pic because it had not been permanently attached yet)

AdmiralSenn
06-18-2012, 09:20 PM
. The second project would be a really nifty one. I am told that the original intent of the HVAC panel was to appear "black" and then when the car turns on, the surface would light up revealing the type and graphics (this is why the lights were deigned to be on all of the time). Very ahead of its time for a car from 1980 (Thanks for this info Dave!).

Please, for the love of God and all that is holy, please do this.

Also, I believe there is a photo of this black panel in either Stainless Steel Illusion or one of the other documentary type books.

Any plans to recreate the plastic part that the overlay sticks on? Mine is broken in several places and new ones seem to be no longer available.

jawn101
06-18-2012, 09:39 PM
I'll weigh in again Matt - new overlays for original headlight and hazard switches! You could make like 20 of each out of one sheet the size of a single HVAC panel :)

Awesome that you cracked the formula to make these overlays, the sky's the limit now.

kajcienski
06-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Interesting! If you or anyone else has a picture or picture scan of the prototype for the "black" decal - PLEASE send it to me by email! I had no idea there was a picture of it... Also, I actually molded and cast a new backlight panel for my custom install. If enough people were interested, I might be able to do a short run of the stock panel. It wouldn't be cheap but perhaps if enough people needed it, I would consider making a few and try quoting a price. Anyone? But a repro of the original could definitely be done.

Please, for the love of God and all that is holy, please do this.

Also, I believe there is a photo of this black panel in either Stainless Steel Illusion or one of the other documentary type books.

Any plans to recreate the plastic part that the overlay sticks on? Mine is broken in several places and new ones seem to be no longer available.

AdmiralSenn
06-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Interesting! If you or anyone else has a picture or picture scan of the prototype for the "black" decal - PLEASE send it to me by email! I had no idea there was a picture of it... Also, I actually molded and cast a new backlight panel for my custom install. If enough people were interested, I might be able to do a short run of the stock panel. It wouldn't be cheap but perhaps if enough people needed it, I would consider making a few and try quoting a price. Anyone? But a repro of the original could definitely be done.

Not sure whose car this is (I believe it to be a VERY early 500 series car), Jim Reeve posted it originally:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5124&d=1314149167

kajcienski
06-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Not sure whose car this is (I believe it to be a VERY early 500 series car), Jim Reeve posted it originally:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=5124&d=1314149167

Interesting! Any way we can identify who owns this? I can't imagine this was original to the car pictured when Pilot 20 already had the production decal... Can anyone help out on this mystery?

dmc6960
06-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Interesting! Any way we can identify who owns this? I can't imagine this was original to the car pictured when Pilot 20 already had the production decal... Can anyone help out on this mystery?

That's VIN 500 at the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland.

kajcienski
06-19-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks Jim! Anyone have any additional pictures or have ever seen it lit up? I would wonder if the design and font matches the first series of visible decals...?

That's VIN 500 at the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland.

Nicholas R
06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Very nice work, these are awesome!

Also please! someone with this capability continue the Double DIN dash project! :D

I'm not sure how much longer I can stand this stupid flip up head unit (especially now the the volume knob is broken and I have to use the damn remote). I really dont want to get another stereo until a Double DIN situation comes out. Far as I'm concerned, headlight and hazard switches in the knee pads. Meeting adjourned. I'll install them myself. :) All I want/need is the double DIN plate and new fascia plate.

kajcienski
07-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Hello! I just completed my illuminated audio ashtray interface that pairs with the Parrot stereo I installed last month - thought I would share! It took a while to fabricate (with a bit of trial and error) but am extremely pleased with the results - looks totally professional. This will allow me to connect/charge my iphone, USB, and "audio in" for any other device. When closed, the ashtray appears stock. When opened, the backlight comes on to softly illuminate the text and graphics. Although I think I have just about mastered the graphic overlay, I am working on getting the white graphics/text to pop a bit more. In that case, I will replace the overlay on this unit eventually. I will be installing it in the D tomorrow so wish me luck! Crossing my fingers everything hooks up with ease and works correctly!

jawn101
07-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Another great job Matt. You've definitely got a gift for this stuff...

dvonk
07-06-2012, 12:29 AM
wow, thats super nice! very professional looking. :cool:

Chris_Von_Bron
07-06-2012, 02:20 AM
fantastic, you'll be earning royalties from DMCH as they will surely will want to offer this as an option in their cars :nana1:

Patent it quick :rock_on:

Dangermouse
07-06-2012, 08:04 AM
oooh, please break this out as a separate thread. It's fantastic looking and I want to be able to find it again. :fancy:

kajcienski
07-06-2012, 09:07 AM
oooh, please break this out as a separate thread. It's fantastic looking and I want to be able to find it again. :fancy:

Thanks everyone! I'll break into a new thread with more details for this one then.

Farrar
07-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I've been thinking about a "blank" backlit HVAC panel for a while now, but knowing that you are working on one I can put my sketches away. :) Looking forward to seeing the result!

kajcienski
07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
I've been thinking about a "blank" backlit HVAC panel for a while now, but knowing that you are working on one I can put my sketches away. :) Looking forward to seeing the result!

Would everyone rather have a "black" A/C decal with updated text and graphics or mimic the first variation of the overlay on the early vins?

dmc6960
07-10-2012, 10:47 PM
I think "updated graphics and text" are a no go. It should really mimic exactly the original appearance of the mid-late decal design. It's the one which matches the cluster typeface. The icons should not be modified either.

kajcienski
07-10-2012, 11:17 PM
I think "updated graphics and text" are a no go. It should really mimic exactly the original appearance of the mid-late decal design. It's the one which matches the cluster typeface. The icons should not be modified either.

Could someone do me a favor and send me a high-res scan of that decal? Message me and will send my email. I only have the late version that DMCH sells. Also, a picture of the decal when backlit would be helpful. Keep in mind that with the "black" decal, the graphics that are normally "white" will appear a tad gray when lit due to the layer that makes it appear hidden. I would LOVE to see the VIN 500 decal lit up (the original black decal) but I fear that is impossible...

dmc6960
07-11-2012, 01:20 AM
On a stock decal, all bits of white print are backlit in green. It would be interesting to see 500's decal lit up just to know for sure what the original design was. If backlit all the time then everything would always appear green except for the red and blue.

Something extra a custom LED panel can give you is the ability to switch from white to green. So that would be a possible value-add.

Perhaps someone local in Cleavland can be really really nice and try to find out.

kajcienski
07-11-2012, 01:53 AM
On a stock decal, all bits of white print are backlit in green. It would be interesting to see 500's decal lit up just to know for sure what the original design was. If backlit all the time then everything would always appear green except for the red and blue.

Something extra a custom LED panel can give you is the ability to switch from white to green. So that would be a possible value-add.

Perhaps someone local in Cleavland can be really really nice and try to find out.

Absolutely! Maybe I will give the museum a call to see if it is even a possibility... Anyone want to volenteer to check it out and get a picture if I get permission? As far as the LED backlight panel, I made a new self-contained panel that gives the decal an even and bright light distribution with extra bright LEDs (will post pictures). The problem with making the LEDs themselves green is 1) You can't control the subtle shades of green and 2) It would contaminate the other colors on the decal. Using the correct light gels in the overlay backing works perfectly (and green where needed). The extra bright LEDs I used work great and resistors allow to get the perfect level of brightness. This could be a really cool project!