PDA

View Full Version : Wheels on preproduction cars

m_steenbrugge
06-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know anything about the wheels used on preproduction cars.

It seems that the front and rear have the same 'deep dish' depth.

Compared to production cars the rear is less 'deep dish' and the front are more 'deep dish'

Are the wheels and tires the same measurements but with other ET?

tjd
06-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know anything about the wheels used on preproduction cars.

It seems that the front and rear have the same 'deep dish' depth.

Compared to production cars the rear is less 'deep dish' and the front are more 'deep dish'

Are the wheels and tires the same measurements but with other ET?

That is the Visioneering car, it's original wheels which are in those pics are actually hubcaps. Once Prod DeLorean Wheels where ready they swapped them out.

m_steenbrugge
06-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Ok, that explains it. Thank you for the reply :)

Michael
08-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Make sure the diameter and the size of wheels is exactly fix on the diameter of your vehicle wheels. Because some time I observe this thing that the diameter doesn't fix at wheels and it make a problem for you.

Uhhhhhh :werd:

I guess, even though the question was answered months ago, you are saying make sure the wheel size matches the tire size......Thank you captain obvious.

dmc6960
08-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Uhhhhhh :werd:

I guess, even though the question was answered months ago, you are saying make sure the wheel size matches the tire size......Thank you captain obvious.

I read through all 5 of this user's posts this morning, most likely a Bot, small chance of just a really dumb troll.

Nicholas R
09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Apparently according to the DeLorean buyer's guide, there were actually 4 different types of production rims, not just the light and dark rim's we usually hear about. Apparently the casting of the center is different depending on the VIN. Different slope, curvature. If anyone has the book, it apparently shows pictures of each type. I never knew this until this week.

Dangermouse
09-02-2012, 04:25 PM
One of our local owners, Mike S on here, showed me that one day. It looks like some wheels were cast with really sharp edges and others with more curved.

I'll try and post pictures tomorrow if I can find them.

A real fan's detail.

Sidaries
09-05-2012, 12:18 PM
One of our local owners, Mike S on here, showed me that one day. It looks like some wheels were cast with really sharp edges and others with more curved.

I'll try and post pictures tomorrow if I can find them.

A real fan's detail.

Wow, can't wait to see it! I love these details.

Rich W
09-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow, can't wait to see it! I love these details.

Dave Swingle documented at least 3 types of DeLorean wheels about six years ago.

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/wheels.html

IIRC, this was after Dave purchased a DeLorean on the way home from DCS 2004.
The car Dave had purchased had a mis-matched set of wheels at time of purchase.

Later,
Rich W.

Dangermouse
09-06-2012, 08:08 AM
I think I have a miss matched set of wheels also.

Dave S covered it well. I have a couple of photos of the fin end detail

I guess that this would be Dave's Style 2

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12964&d=1346933031

and this would be Style 3

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12963&d=1346933031

dmc6960
09-06-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm seeing a 4th style there. Both wheels appear to have a "thin" casting between the spokes, but one of them has a distinct "flare-out" at the end of the spokes. In the pictures Dave posted at DMCNEWS I see the light/thin style to not have much of an apparent flare-out, but the light/thick one does seem to.

nick sutton
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM
The wheel design was changed in August 1981 because of a casting problem at the manufacturers GKN Kent Alloys due to a cold shut (crack) caused by a thin flow line for the liquid material. The result was a change to the design of the wheel allowing the metal to flow and August September we had cars with two different style of wheels on either side.

Its all in my book.

Nick Sutton

Dangermouse
09-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh. Sorry for the spoiler.

Mine is an August car, so that would explain why I have two types.

I will now randomly determine that this rareness should add $2000 extra to my cars value when I ever sell it. 😄

Ron
07-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Look here (click to enlarge):

NightFlyer
07-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Look here (click to enlarge):

Are those same position wheels - fronts/rears?

Or is one a front and one a rear?