PDA

View Full Version : I have Displeased the AT Gods

Dangermouse
06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Regular readers may recall that my D is presently playing possum due to a probably faulty AT governor. Symptoms include being stuck in 3rd gear, but turning Off and On of the ignition resets it briefly. (I have a couple of LEDs made up for a test rig to work out what is going on, so maybe this weekend......)

Yes, yes, that was weeks ago and I haven't looked at it yet. Bad owner!. I used the first couple of weeks looking for a new DD which I bought and have been enjoying ever since. However this week, it has been displaying remarkably similar symptoms as the D - transmission switching to "limp-home' mode, i.e. being stuck in 3rd gear; turning off and on the ignition resetting the problem. Checking the forum, once again points to the control module for the solenoid pack, again located inside the tranny. Bugger.

D

(thanks to Ron for the pic)

DD

(Off their forum - mine is still in the tranny)

My wife, of course, makes some sort of tenuous connection between my driving habits and two knackered gearboxes. I don't see it myself. Actually, both governors are known to be susceptible to faults, the D with its variety of bad solder joints, blown caps etc, and the DD with cracked speed sensors on the plastic control module.

So I now have two 'boxes to repair, but before I start, I think I need to make a sacrifice to the AT gods.

Dangermouse
09-27-2011, 02:50 PM
It’s official! I think my wife has banned me from driving any of our cars!

We/I have now killed three trannies within 5 months 

The third one has now developed a fatal transmission problem.

Our 2010 Dodge Grand caravan with only 33k on it is in the shop for a week to replace a transfer gear bearing. I have maintained for a long time that there was something wrong with the box, but could never get any satisfaction out of Chrysler. This is the third time I have brought it to them and finally it got to the right tech who knew wtf was going on.

Thankfully this one is under warranty.

sean
09-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Note to self: Keep Dermot away from my cars....and get my boot kit back :biggrin:

Dangermouse
09-27-2011, 03:16 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv7yOdSk-44laXOmFDY6jH3auOzE-ivVu-jgOEBrWrq1MeQye3

nullset
09-27-2011, 06:06 PM
So when are we going to 'rescue' dermot's "abandoned" delorean?

--buddy

Dangermouse
09-27-2011, 06:10 PM
We/I have now killed three trannies within 5 months

I should clarify that I have killed 3 transmissions and not 3 transvestites. :)

sean
09-27-2011, 06:26 PM

Likely story! BTW, who's on first?

Jonathan
09-27-2011, 08:15 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQv7yOdSk-44laXOmFDY6jH3auOzE-ivVu-jgOEBrWrq1MeQye3

Yea, bad, definitely bad.

SIMid
09-27-2011, 11:05 PM

*LMAO*

Classic

Farrar
09-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Most people, in my experience, are hard on automatic transmissions. When I got my first car, a Chrysler, I was told I would have to replace the transmission at 80,000 miles. I had no problems with the transmission in that car, or any other Chrysler I have owned since, despite many dire warnings about how awful and unreliable Chrysler transmissions are supposed to be. My most recent Chrysler I sold with almost 178,000 miles on it, and the original transmission still shifted perfectly. The car was also equipped with the original alternator and water pump, both of which were also functioning perfectly, by the way.

In my experience, it's all in how you treat the vehicle. Or as Ben Franklin is supposed to have said, "Keep thy shop, and thy shop will keep thee."

Farrar

TTait
09-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Maybe you should see if there is a transmission shop in town that is looking for an investor to come in as a partner? Granted, it might 6 or 7 free rebuilds to recoup your investment, but your already halfway there...

Dangermouse
09-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Most people, in my experience, are hard on automatic transmissions. When I got my first car, a Chrysler, I was told I would have to replace the transmission at 80,000 miles. I had no problems with the transmission in that car, or any other Chrysler I have owned since, despite many dire warnings about how awful and unreliable Chrysler transmissions are supposed to be. My most recent Chrysler I sold with almost 178,000 miles on it, and the original transmission still shifted perfectly. The car was also equipped with the original alternator and water pump, both of which were also functioning perfectly, by the way.

In my experience, it's all in how you treat the vehicle. Or as Ben Franklin is supposed to have said, "Keep thy shop, and thy shop will keep thee."

Farrar

Hey, now, in my defense, I have been driving autos for 20 years without a problem. The two vehicles I just sold (99 Concorde and 01 Caravan) had 183k and 125k on them and neither one had a single problem with transmissions. (original alternator and water pump on both also Farrar too) Yet both of their replacements commit hari-kari within a few 1000 miles of our getting them. I promise you that my driving habits haven't changed (I drive a DeLorean and a Minivan for gawds sake, so I am hardly doing burnouts at every intersection :)

It is simply, as the title says, that I have displeased the AT gods. Perhaps they are telling me I should buy a stick-shift.

Farrar
09-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Hey, now, in my defense, I have been driving autos for 20 years without a problem.

That's it -- your carma ran out! ;-)

Farrar