PDA

View Full Version : $4k Delorean Ft Worth, Tx

marvins_dad
06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3099977497.html

Popped up on Craigslist today. Just wanted the community to know about it in case someone has been dreaming of a complete restoration project.

(BTW - went to the Delorean Car Show in Orlando a couple weekends ago...man, really gave me the fever to own one-maybe one of these years)

antoine

ccurzio
06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm tempted to buy this because it's a nice stock of parts on a VIN that's close to my own. And it's pretty cheap.

Chris Burns
06-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Cool long term project!:smile:

At least with that one you would have something to look at every once in awhile. Man I need to get a job so I can afford one of these babies!!

ccurzio
06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
I've emailed the seller. I might actually go through with this one.

I figure I can disassemble the thing and keep a parts stock in a storage unit somewhere. Considering this is an October '81 build and my car is also an October '81 build, this would be a really good backup for me.

Thanks for posting.

Dangermouse
06-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Some assembly required. Battery not included.

ccurzio
06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Some assembly required. Battery not included.

In my case it's more like "massive disassembly required" and who gives a shit about the battery. :)

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 07:51 PM
The binnacle looks nice.

marvins_dad
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Glad that it is getting some looks. I know if I had the cash and was looking for a project I would be all over this. I figured, though, this is going to take an owner or someone with a close friend or mechanic in order to take advantage of this project.
I do have a friend (Jai) with on.e..but he isn't local same I am more of a styling/body guy...no mechanic.

mluder
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
I've emailed the seller. I might actually go through with this one.

I figure I can disassemble the thing and keep a parts stock in a storage unit somewhere. Considering this is an October '81 build and my car is also an October '81 build, this would be a really good backup for me.

Thanks for posting.

I'd be tempted too if it wasn't so far from me... great parts car and mine's an OCT. '81 too. That driver's side front fender would be great as mine is dented. Could use the driver's side door too... Mine is warped.

If you buy it would you be willing to part some of it out?

Cheers
Steve

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 08:08 PM
It looks like we might be fighting over this deal. I just made the guy a cash offer and am waiting for his response.

ccurzio
06-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I'd be tempted too if it wasn't so far from me... great parts car and mine's an OCT. '81 too. That driver's side front fender would be great as mine is dented. Could use the driver's side door too... Mine is warped.

If you buy it would you be willing to part some of it out?

Cheers
Steve

Sure. I've got the cash easily, and I doubt I'd need everything.

It looks like we might be fighting over this deal. I just made the guy a cash offer and am waiting for his response.

Good luck. :)

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Sure. I've got the cash easily, and I doubt I'd need everything.

Good luck. :)

I wish this guy would hurry up and get back with me. I checked southwest and I can fly to Dallas for just $222 on the last flight at 9:30 (CST) tonight. What sucks is it will take me an hour to get to the airport so I need him to get back to me in the next 15 minutes.

Nicholas R
06-25-2012, 08:19 PM
This thing is totally restorable!! Someone call Ken K and we'll make this the 2014 raffle car! I would hate to see this car parted out. Seriously, this thing is in better shape than my car was when I got it 10 years ago.

Hell this car is more together than my car was 2 months ago! This thing is so close to complete, and without some outlying major problem (ie frame falling out or wrecked), would be a total shame to part out. Given the fact that it's being stored in doors, it's probably in pretty good shape under the dust!

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 08:22 PM
This thing is totally restorable!! Someone call Ken K and we'll make this the 2014 raffle car! I would hate to see this car parted out.

If this guy will hurry up and call me back I'll hop on a plane and buy it tonight for a restoration myself. From what little I can see the frame looks good from the engine bay. What sucks is I'm offering the guy less than he is asking.

ccurzio
06-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Too late.

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Too late.

Did you get it?

Nicholas R
06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
What a shame. Another perfectly restorable DeLorean VIN lost:mecry:

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Did he get it? It would be nice to know so I won't keep itching for the phone to ring.

Dangermouse
06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Either of you get the vin?

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Either of you get the vin?

Nope. The guy hasn't even called or emailed me back. I was serious about hopping on a plane tonight. Now I'm going to be stuck driving if he calls me this evening.

thirdmanj
06-25-2012, 09:43 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3099977497.html

Popped up on Craigslist today. Just wanted the community to know about it in case someone has been dreaming of a complete restoration project.

(BTW - went to the Delorean Car Show in Orlando a couple weekends ago...man, really gave me the fever to own one-maybe one of these years)

antoine

"It's been buried here 70 years, 2 months and 13 days! Astounding!"

Grover
06-25-2012, 09:57 PM
=O I really hope it doesn't get parted out. It looks like a GREAT restoration project! I wouldn't even use this car for a project car idea I have, as it is in too nice of a condition to do it (even though the price point is PERFECT)

For what it's worth, project idea:

=)

stevedmc
06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm tempted to offer the guy $4k but we don't even know if it is still for sale.

marvins_dad
06-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Well, the post is still up on Craigslist...so, there's still a chance?

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Ahem, mods.

Wrong section?

"DeLorean Items you own and would like to sell. DeLorean Services you offer. Items and services you wish to purchase. Vendors Welcome!"

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 08:49 AM
Ahem, mods.

Wrong section?

"DeLorean Items you own and would like to sell. DeLorean Services you offer. Items and services you wish to purchase. Vendors Welcome!"

Hush. If Ron was doing his job we never would have even noticed this thread.

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Hush. If Ron was doing his job we never would have even noticed this thread.

LOL, Chris is even commenting on it too.

marvins_dad
06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
"Breakin' the Law, Breakin' the Law!" :nana2:

I am a moderator and administrator on other forums...it has been commonplace for folks to post up what has been found, as long as they aren't spamming the forums with every car they find. I just figured that you guys might want to be made aware of a rare find like this one. Also, knew the passion of the Delorean folks and I would rather something like this end up in the right hands.

dvonk
06-26-2012, 09:50 AM
...I just figured that you guys might want to be made aware of a rare find like this one. Also, knew the passion of the Delorean folks and I would rather something like this end up in the right hands.

thanks for sharing it with us! i hope this vehicle is eventually restored instead of being parted out... :frown:

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
"Breakin' the Law, Breakin' the Law!" :nana2:

I am a moderator and administrator on other forums...it has been commonplace for folks to post up what has been found, as long as they aren't spamming the forums with every car they find. I just figured that you guys might want to be made aware of a rare find like this one. Also, knew the passion of the Delorean folks and I would rather something like this end up in the right hands.

Absolutely no problem with posting the link, "marvins dad" (and yours is a particularly good one), it's just that these sort of threads are normally posted in the Open Discussion sub-forum.

I should know, as I do it often enough also. :smile:

We have tried to keep this "for sale" area just for forum members selling their own stuff, whatever that might be.

Chris Burns
06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
I e-mailed the seller and this was the response.

1. My boss bought it new, he’s the original owner

2. Not Manual it’s automatic

3. It over heated – He had low miles on it

4. Drove car for 6 months

That would explain why it was taken apart.

OverlandMan
06-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I've been talking to the seller since yesterday afternoon. I'm going to look at it later today. According to the seller, the car was purchased new by him in late 81 and was driven 13,756 miles in 6 months. The engine overheated and the car was parked and partially disassembled. It has sat in a warehouse since sometime in late 82.

The frame and body are supposed to be rust & dent free. All the parts comes with the car including engine and automatic trans. According to the seller, the car also has a clear title (assuming Texas).

I'll take some pics and post them here for everyone to see.

FYI - the car is just south of downtown Dallas (where I work) not Ft. Worth.

Here's a pic of the instrument cluster sent by the seller yesterday:

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 10:56 AM
I wish this guy would actualy contact me. I'll give him $3,500 cash, no questions, just a title in my hand.

Chris Burns
06-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Crap!

Why can't this be closer to me:banghead:

jawn101
06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Anyone else impressed by the fact that pretty much no matter the condition of these cars (barring a snapped torsion bar or something), the doors always seem to still work well? Pretty solid testament to the design quality.

Hope this one goes to a good home! I'd love to see Chris or Blue Car Guy get it personally.

OverlandMan
06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Regardless of where it goes, it's surely going to be a big project for the buyer. The motor work alone is a big mystery in regards to the overheating and eventual removal from the vehicle. This would lead me to believe that something was severely damaged. Hopefully I'll be able to find out more in person shortly.

I would guess the buyer will easily have to drop $7k-$10k just to get it back on the road.

82DMC12
06-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Way more than that. I'm $7k into a D that had a GOOD engine but hadn't been started in 20 years. Just from sitting it needs damn near everything. All I have left is a couple minor electrical issues and an A/C overhaul.

OverlandMan
06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Way more than that. I'm $7k into a D that had a GOOD engine but hadn't been started in 20 years. Just from sitting it needs damn near everything. All I have left is a couple minor electrical issues and an A/C overhaul.

Yea - I leaned on the conservative end... just too many unknowns to really pinpoint. If I bought it I would go into it expecting 3-5 year (or more) project just to get it road worthy. The smarter play is to find a running & driving specimen and drop $15k. That's the direction I'm leaning but you never know. Maybe the guy has an extra motor or something else cool down there.

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I've been talking to the seller since yesterday afternoon. I'm going to look at it later today.

He just emailed me and said someone else (you) would be looking at it today but he would keep me in mind. Hopefully you don't buy it because I want to be next in line.

OverlandMan
06-26-2012, 11:48 AM
He just emailed me and said someone else (you) would be looking at it today but he would keep me in mind. Hopefully you don't buy it because I want to be next in line.

I'm leaving here in about 30 mins to drive down and check it out. I'll let you know of my findings (pics and text) and what I decide to do sometime this afternoon likely.

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm leaving here in about 30 mins to drive down and check it out. I'll let you know of my findings (pics and text) and what I decide to do sometime this afternoon likely.

Thanks man. Keep in mind this car is a basket case that is going to need tons of money to get up to speed. Its a nice candidate though. You will probably need to dump at least $10k in it to get a decent car.

My plan is to buy it and slowly work on it. It could be at least 5 years before I get the thing drivable but it looks like a nice project.

If you don't get it let me know. I've got plenty of room at my house to turn this into a really long project car.

marvins_dad
06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Wow - sitting for 30 years in a warehouse!
Looking forward to seeing and reading about your trip.

dvonk
06-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Hope this one goes to a good home! I'd love to see Chris or Blue Car Guy get it personally.

thanks jon. :) i would really like to get a project DeLorean, i love DIY stuff and the sense of accomplishment i feel when i do things myself. too bad this one isnt a manual... that is my first criterion in a DeLorean.

that said, if i found a screaming deal on an auto, id still buy it. :wink:

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 01:03 PM
my guess is vin 5278.

Closest to the actual, wins 1000 internet points

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 01:15 PM
my guess is vin 5278.

Closest to the actual, wins 1000 internet points

I think it is 5279.

jawn101
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
I think it is 5279.

I always thought "what a dick" when someone did that on the Price is Right. :)

stevedmc
06-26-2012, 01:23 PM
I always thought "what a dick" when someone did that on the Price is Right. :)

Hehe. Thats basically what I was thinking when I placed my bid.

ccurzio
06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
You lads could've been gentlemen and let me have this one but NOOOOOOO.

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Hehe. Thats basically what I was thinking when I placed my bid.

I'm sorry, that's not an acceptable way to pick your number. There has to be research of the internets, examination of the photos for clues, more research of the Chronology, some tarot cards perhaps. You can't just pick the next number because if the real number is higher than mine, then you will win...........waaait.

What a dick. :)

dmc6960
06-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Then my guess is 5277.

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Well quadruple points if I'm right :rofl:

OverlandMan
06-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Then my guess is 5277.

You guys were close. It's 5137. Just got back from seeing the car and grabbing a bite to eat. I got a chance to meet the real owner of the car (one of his employees listed it for him). He seemed like a nice enough guy. Told me he bought it new when he was working for the original owner of the Dallas Mavericks. His boss knew a dealer out in San Diego who owned/ran a Lancia & DeLorean dealership and was liquidating his remaining inventory. The guy said the car purchase was for charity, as it had an extremely high price tag of $50k (roughly $20k over sticker). He said he had no real interest in the DeLorean car itself at the time. He drove it around for less than a year and said the electric fan stopped working which caused the motor to overheat resulting in significant damage. He wasn't sure how significant as he didn't do any of the work himself. He said he had a Ferrari mechanic rebuild the motor. Around the time the mechanic finished the rebuild, the news broke on the John DeLorean scandal. He said he was embarrassed (at the time) to even own the car. He said the car and its parts have sat in storage warehouses ever since. The reason he's selling right now is because they're moving the warehouse again and he doesn't want to move the DeLorean again.

I wasn't able to see the motor or transmission as he said they were inside a trailer somewhere on the grounds. As you can see from the pics, he's got quite a few other vehicles in there. Tomorrow he's going to have his workers pull all the parts for the DeLorean and make a "hole" so they can get it out.

As for the car itself, there is absolutely zero wear or sun rot on the interior which is amazing for a 30 year old car but makes sense because it's been in storage all this time. This is a non-gas flap car. I did raise the trunk and verify the spare was missing. It also has the grooved hood. The door struts are weak and need replacing (big surprise). The tires are all flat and have tears in the sidewalls so those will need to be replaced too (prob original tires anyway). The rear fascia was in a plastic wrapped pile of parts. From what I could tell, it looked to be in good shape. I asked him about the rear louver and engine hood. He said he had them (and all the rest of the parts) but wasn't sure where it was. The only body damage I saw was one ding on the passenger roof/door. There may be some other minor scuffs & dings but it was hard to tell through 30 years of dirt and dust. This was all I noticed. See pic below.

This seems to be a true preserved specimen in a time capsule. I'm currently negotiating with him and plan to have a possible deal struck tomorrow morning. I also would have liked to have a manual but this is one of those deals I don't know if I can pass up...

I was able to snap one pic of the undercarriage (front driver side) but couldn't get up under for a thorough inspection of the frame. Seeing as the car has been stored inside an inland Texas warehouse all its life, only light surface rust seems to be present. Here are some of my pics.

11431114321143311434114351143611437114381143911440 114411144211443114441144511446

Oh and by the way; it was hot as hell in that warehouse!

dmc6960
06-26-2012, 02:55 PM
There sure seems to be a lot of unnecessary disassembly for just an engine overhaul.

marvins_dad
06-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Wow - great story!

OverlandMan
06-26-2012, 02:59 PM
There sure seems to be a lot of unnecessary disassembly for just an engine overhaul.

My guess was it was more than just an overhaul. That said, I wasn't sure why the AC controls, radio, pass dash section, etc were removed

Dangermouse
06-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Glad its being saved. Like Jim (the winner btw) said, it sure is a lot of bits taken off for an engine job. But looking forward to seeing this come to fruition and get re-assembled.

dvonk
06-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Glad its being saved [...] looking forward to seeing this come to fruition and get re-assembled.

+1000 :bigclap:

Chris Burns
06-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm crying tears of joy for this Delorean! Hopefully it can be saved. The original motor is probably shot, but for the price it's a worthwhile risk!

marvins_dad
06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh and by the way; it was hot as hell in that warehouse!

LOL - I just looked down at my phone, says it is 102 here in Big D. No pain, no gain...right?

OverlandMan
06-26-2012, 04:32 PM
LOL - I just looked down at my phone, says it is 102 here in Big D. No pain, no gain...right?

Man no kidding! Hopefully it will be a gain!

pezzonovante88
06-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Can't wait to see this thing get restored - hell just to see it without all that dust on it! So happy to see it going to a good home!

dmcpilot
06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
What a great project car. I'm in Fort Worth - Where is it close to? Would like to come and take a look when she rolls out.

-- Edit -- I dug into the thread and saw that it is located South of Dallas. Sweet deal.

Raymond-
# 6219

OverlandMan
06-27-2012, 09:37 AM
What a great project car. I'm in Fort Worth - Where is it close to? Would like to come and take a look when she rolls out.

-- Edit -- I dug into the thread and saw that it is located South of Dallas. Sweet deal.

Raymond-
# 6219

I have the deal struck so now it's just a matter of inventorying all the parts and arranging to transport back to my place. Hopefully it will be in my garage by Saturday evening. I'll update you guys soon.

marvins_dad
06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Cool! Party at your place on Sunday so we can all poke it. :biggrin:

OverlandMan
06-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Cool! Party at your place on Sunday so we can all poke it. :biggrin:

Yea no kidding. Fingers-crossed everything goes smooth and without issue. Where bouts are you located in Dallas? I'm out East of town in Rowlett but I office in downtown Dallas.

marvins_dad
06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Live in Farmers Branch...work in Addison. Love to check it out sometime if all goes well and you wouldn't mind.

stevedmc
06-27-2012, 10:19 AM
I have the deal struck so now it's just a matter of inventorying all the parts and arranging to transport back to my place. Hopefully it will be in my garage by Saturday evening. I'll update you guys soon.

Congrats on your purchase. Remember John Hervey is just down the road from you and I believe he has a mechanic that does work for him. He may be able to help you get the thing on the road if you are interested.

Keep in mind too that the thing isn't a total loss if you decide to give up. You've got a really nice left front fender which should get you at least $3k and a really nice frame. I wouldn't part the thing out, but if you do, you will make money.

I guess we are all itching to know, did you pay $4k for it or did you get him to knock a little off the price?

OverlandMan
06-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Live in Farmers Branch...work in Addison. Love to check it out sometime if all goes well and you wouldn't mind.

Yea you're not too far away from me, especially with the George Bush Turnpike open all the way through Rowlett now. I'll contact you here on the board sometime soon and you can come by and check it out.

Congrats on your purchase. Remember John Hervey is just down the road from you and I believe he has a mechanic that does work for him. He may be able to help you get the thing on the road if you are interested.

Keep in mind too that the thing isn't a total loss if you decide to give up. You've got a really nice left front fender which should get you at least $3k and a really nice frame. I wouldn't part the thing out, but if you do, you will make money.

I guess we are all itching to know, did you pay $4k for it or did you get him to knock a little off the price?

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. Obviously my goal is to bring it back to life and not part it out. I've got a budget and plenty of time to get it there. There is absolutely no pressure or rush for me to get it back on the road. I'd rather do it once and do it right than rush and do it 1/2 ass.

I agreed on the asking price. Seemed fair to me and after meeting with him, finding out the history, and seeing the car in person I decided I wouldn't try and low-ball/haggle with him; especially seeing as there seemed to be a line of "Wolves" behind me. :) I knew it wouldn't last long.

dvonk
06-27-2012, 11:04 AM
...my goal is to bring it back to life and not part it out...

awesome! :woot:

I'd rather do it once and do it right than rush and do it 1/2 ass.

this is my mantra as well.

marvins_dad
06-27-2012, 11:26 AM
Yea you're not too far away from me, especially with the George Bush Turnpike open all the way through Rowlett now. I'll contact you here on the board sometime soon and you can come by and check it out.

Sounds good! I have a friend from High School living in Rowlett. Much easier since they opened up that new leg of the GBT. Used to really dread doing 635 then swinging up north. We have family in Paris, so we cut through there all the time. BTW, the Rockwall Courthouse (would think you would might have seen it since it is right off the interstate) - that was one of my projects.

stevedmc
06-27-2012, 01:26 PM
I decided I wouldn't try and low-ball/haggle with him; especially seeing as there seemed to be a line of "Wolves" behind me. :) I knew it wouldn't last long.

I wonder who these "Wolves" were.

LEVY
06-27-2012, 01:33 PM
That is a good question!

Ryan King
06-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Ahh I see. The scale makes more sense now. I wasn't aware of their master plan. Good work on that. It certainly draws a lot of attention right there off the interstate!

Waiting to hear back from him. They had a lot of "stuff" (including some other cars) in that warehouse to move around just to get the car out. I'd bet it will take a day or two just to run down all the parts.

I'd buy a new engine from Josh if I were you. Sell the engine off or trade it to Josh for money down on a new one.

OverlandMan
06-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Yea... The seller's employee told me he had a line of at least 5 people interested in the car. I'm sure it wasn't anyone from this forum though. Probably just locals. :tongue2:

(tried to find a sarcasm face but gave up)

OverlandMan
06-27-2012, 02:18 PM
I'd buy a new engine from Josh if I were you. Sell the engine off or trade it to Josh for money down on a new one.

Definitely an option. Gotta see what all I've got first and what kind of shape its in.

ccurzio
06-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Architecture discussion has been moved here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4395-Architecture-Discussion-(Split-from-4k-TX-DeLorean)

john 05141
06-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Wowww, very close to my Vin 05141!!! This car and mine were made simultaniouslly, my car sold in Thousand Oaks, CA.

I was in Dalls in March, if I'd seen it for sale then, hell, I'd bought it. Shipping it 9000Km would have been another story but that looks like an awesome restoration thread. I hope to see more afterwards. Good luck with it, I wish you happy restoration and many fun-miles.

John

OverlandMan
06-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Architecture discussion has been moved here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4395-Architecture-Discussion-(Split-from-4k-TX-DeLorean)

Apologies for getting off topic Accipiter 8)

Wowww, very close to my Vin 05141!!! This car and mine were made simultaniouslly, my car sold in Thousand Oaks, CA.

I was in Dalls in March, if I'd seen it for sale then, hell, I'd bought it. Shipping it 9000Km would have been another story but that looks like an awesome restoration thread. I hope to see more afterwards. Good luck with it, I wish you happy restoration and many fun-miles.

Thanks John. Got the quote from a local tow truck company yesterday. Planning on having them do the "heavy lifting" for me. Since all the tires are flat and won't hold air, it'll have to go on skates to move it around. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics throughout the process starting with the initial transport.

Jeff in Dallas

Grover
06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
As I have always voted for, V8 Hayabusa motor that fits in a 4 cylinder engine compartment :biggrin:

SPECIFICATIONS H1V8:

75° odd fire V8
2.8 LITER, 170 cu. in. displacement (3.0 liter optional)
84mm Bore X 63mm Stroke (67 stroke optional)
4 cams, 32 valves via internal silent chain
530mm wide x 485mm long x 530mm high
400HP @ 10,000 rpm with stock street cams (higher spec. is available)
245 ft-lbs torque @ 7500 rpm
200 lbs engine weight
Billet nitrided steel 180° crank
4340 H-beam con-rods with ARP bolts
Billet 6061-T6 aluminum crankcase
Dry sump 0il system with 4 stage pump
7.25" or 5.5" Twin disc clutch
DTA S80 full sequential ECU
Unique cylinder offset and cam drive arrangement yields a compact design- Patent No. 7,168,405

WAY TOO MUCH MONEY THOUGH, but it is a V8, that fits in a 4 cylinder engine compartment, that weighs less than the stock V6 motor 8)

marvins_dad
06-28-2012, 04:19 PM
WAY TOO MUCH MONEY THOUGH, but it is a V8, that fits in a 4 cylinder engine compartment, that weighs less than the stock V6 motor 8)

Only $30k? That's only 7.5 times the price of the car.:hihi2:

Grover
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Only $30k? That's only 7.5 times the price of the car.:hihi2:

My bad, I meant to post this in the V8 engine thread. WHOOPS!

marvins_dad
06-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Any updates? Did they ever locate the rest of the car?

OverlandMan
06-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Any updates? Did they ever locate the rest of the car?

Yes - the engine and trans are buried in the front of a big-rig trailer. I'm supposed to get a call by 5 PM today to let me know if they have been able to dig them out. Still shooting for having the car picked up and delivered sometime tomorrow. Should know more shortly. I'll probably have to make a separate trip for the engine and loose parts. Shouldn't be a big deal.

OverlandMan
06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
***Update***

Not picking it up today. He's still hunting down some of the parts. Said he wants to give it to me all at once. I appreciate that. As much as I want it in my garage right now, I'd rather be patient and make sure I get all the parts (especially the pricey ones). Hopefully more to come in the next few days.

stevedmc
06-30-2012, 03:43 PM
***Update***

Not picking it up today. He's still hunting down some of the parts. Said he wants to give it to me all at once. I appreciate that. As much as I want it in my garage right now, I'd rather be patient and make sure I get all the parts (especially the pricey ones). Hopefully more to come in the next few days.

Is the title in your possession?

marvins_dad
07-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah, sure hope he doesn't sell it out from under you.
Can't wait to see some moving pics.:thumbup:

marvins_dad
07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Any update?:umm:

OverlandMan
07-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Yea - still working with seller. He thought he'd found the motor earlier this week and sent me a pic. It was the wrong engine + trans. The search continues over there...

marvins_dad
07-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I guess patience is a virtue. Would have been nice if they could have located all the parts prior to placing the ad.:confused2:

stevedmc
07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Its a good thing a local guy got it. I would hate to have to deal with this from a distance.

OverlandMan
07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Well this has been quite a roller coaster and the ride still isn't over yet. I went from excitement/enthusiastic to gradual frustration. To sum things up, I think I'm getting the run-around over there. Supposedly they are moving their business (the car is located at the business warehouse). The move is supposed to be completed here in the next week or two so you hence the timing of the sale; however, the employee that the owner has put in charge of the sale is out of the office this week (kinda strange if they're in the middle of a move). I've tried to contact the owner directly several times since yesterday morning to no avail (emails & phone messages left at the office).

The only good news is that I only agreed to buy the car from them and we have never exchanged cash for title + car and parts (I'm not that stupid) because they were supposed to be looking for the rest of the parts. But the downside is that I really was looking forward to rescuing this car and starting a long but fun project.

I'm still holding out hope that they get back with me and I will continue to be persistent in reaching out to them each day, at least for the next little while. I'll keep y'all posted but things are frustrating right now :what_the:

ccurzio
07-10-2012, 08:07 PM
That just goes to show that you should have let me buy it instead.

OverlandMan
07-10-2012, 10:58 PM
That just goes to show that you should have let me buy it instead.

Naaa. I'm still holding out hope. Talked to the guys secretary today. At least I was able to get a hold of someone over there. :)

marvins_dad
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Another Saturday without the "D" in the garage?
I'm sending good vibes for next week.

jawn101
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Hope you get it soon, but don't wish TOO hard for a D in the garage... some of us would like nothing more than to get our D OUT of the garage!! :)

OverlandMan
07-13-2012, 05:54 PM

Yea what a bummer. I'm going to give him a few more days. In the meantime, I've been talking to another seller who has a car out West in Arizona. It's a running/driving project so that has sparked my interest. If this guy continues to blow me off, I'm likely to jump on this other deal. Stay tuned...

OverlandMan
07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Exciting news coming very soon... don't want to jinx myself so stay tuned over the next few days.

Dangermouse
07-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Exciting news coming very soon... .

You've saved a bundle by switching to Geico?

OverlandMan
07-18-2012, 09:07 PM
You've saved a bundle by switching to Geico?

:lol:

marvins_dad
07-19-2012, 12:23 PM
:lol: x2:headbang:

OverlandMan
07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Ok so I abandoned the pursuit of this Dallas car. As of Monday I received an email stating they still had not found the parts (motor + trans) and had made a mistake listing it before locating the rest of the stuff. I asked if they had any idea as to when they would find the rest of the car. I got no reply. That was the last straw for me.

Here's the exciting news. I bought a different car (another 81 gray interior auto). It's a running/driving car so I spent more $$$ but I'm really happy and looking forward to the instant satisfaction of having something I can drive immediately (versus sitting on jack stands in my garage for 2+ years). The car is not local, so I'm having it shipped. That said its going to be a week or two before I physically have it here. Once it arrives, I'll reveal the rest of the info. For now, that's all I'm saying. Time to crack open a cold one!

mluder
07-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Ok so I abandoned the pursuit of this Dallas car. As of Monday I received an email stating they still had not found the parts (motor + trans) and had made a mistake listing it before locating the rest of the stuff. I asked if they had any idea as to when they would find the rest of the car. I got no reply. That was the last straw for me.

Here's the exciting news. I bought a different car (another 81 gray interior auto). It's a running/driving car so I spent more $$$ but I'm really happy and looking forward to the instant satisfaction of having something I can drive immediately (versus sitting on jack stands in my garage for 2+ years). The car is not local, so I'm having it shipped. That said its going to be a week or two before I physically have it here. Once it arrives, I'll reveal the rest of the info. For now, that's all I'm saying. Time to crack open a cold one!

Congrats!!!!

stevedmc
07-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Did you inspect it in person?

OverlandMan
07-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Did you inspect it in person?

No. Had it taken to a mechanic I knew in the area and inspected. Was able to obtain the service history over the past 10 years or so, including a list of all that was done to it. Also had extensive photos of the entire car, including the underside while it was on the lift. No rust!

Chris Burns
07-20-2012, 09:46 PM

Congrats man! Can't wait to see it.

Ron
07-20-2012, 09:52 PM
It's a running/driving car so I spent more $$$ but I'm really happy and looking forward to the instant satisfaction of having something I can drive immediately (versus sitting on jack stands in my garage for 2+ years).
Time to crack open a cold one!
Wise choice!

:cheers:

stevedmc
07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I wonder if someone could snatch up that car for $1k without the engine and transmission. I'm tempted to make a low ball offer but I just bought a Mustang.

pgringo
07-20-2012, 10:55 PM
i have a prv motor from a volvo 262c that ran when i pulled it several years ago that will be up for sale cheap very soon. location: central texas.

OverlandMan
07-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I wonder if someone could snatch up that car for $1k without the engine and transmission. I'm tempted to make a low ball offer but I just bought a Mustang.

Good question. I called DMC Houston last week and talked to Steve (I think that was his name - an Irish gentleman). I told him about the Dallas car and he said if they couldn't find the motor and trans that he would suggest walking away from it. It's kinda funny the way things work out. If this Dallas deal had not been delayed and eventually abandoned, I never would have found and bought my car.

Another member PM-d me earlier and asked if they could try and buy the Dallas car if I ended up giving up. So I sent them the contact info.

Congrats on the mustang.

Wise choice!

Thanks Ron. I thought so too.

Soon as I get the car here I'll start a new thread and post pics, info and so on.

ccurzio
07-21-2012, 09:30 AM
I called DMC Houston last week and talked to Steve (I think that was his name - an Irish gentleman).

Gonna go out on a crazy ol' limb here, but I'm PRETTY sure that was Stephen Wynne. You know, the CEO. :)

OverlandMan
07-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Gonna go out on a crazy ol' limb here, but I'm PRETTY sure that was Stephen Wynne. You know, the CEO. :)

Figured you guys would know who I was talking about. He was extremely helpful.

ccurzio
07-21-2012, 09:39 AM
Yeah he's a good dude. Was happy to give me some helpful tips on my AC a while back. Him and James both, actually.

The DMC staff in general seem to be pretty great. I've dealt with the people at DMCH and DMCNW (and DMCMW at one point too I think) and they've been nothing short of absolutely professional and totally gracious.

I like supporting them because they support us. :)

OverlandMan
07-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I like supporting them because they support us. :)

Kinda my thoughts too.

vwdmc16
07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Sounds like the ft Worth car is perfect for one of those " Cheap D project wanted w/o Engine" guys that want a project to "throw" a hot rod engine in, But we'd rather see it end up with a pro shop that will properly restore it.

artisticent
07-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Wow what a roller coaster. Thanks for the good read. I just bought one after doing a lot of research and realizing I'm not getting in to any delorean for less than 10k. Anything cheaper than that and its not worth it for me.

OverlandMan
07-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow what a roller coaster. Thanks for the good read. I just bought one after doing a lot of research and realizing I'm not getting in to any delorean for less than 10k. Anything cheaper than that and its not worth it for me.

Yea I found it better to spend a little more $$ up front and get something you can drive and enjoy. I really wanted the Dallas car because it was right here in my back yard and would have made for a neat project. But I'm glad things ended up the way they have. I read your thread about your new acquisition. Congrats!

marvins_dad
07-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Wow!
Sad about the Dallas car...
...but great news for you!:headbang:

OverlandMan
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Wow!
Sad about the Dallas car...
...but great news for you!:headbang:

Yea - you may still have to come by sometime and poke at this car instead. :)

marvins_dad
07-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd love to!

OverlandMan
07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Got my car today! Here's the new thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4697-The-restoration-of-5482

OverlandMan
08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
So did any of you folks who PM'd me about the Dallas $4k car end up hearing anything back from the folks over there? Just curious...

Phil349
08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
No, since you didn't reply to my PM!

OverlandMan
08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
No, since you didn't reply to my PM!

My apologies. I had a lot of folks PM-ing me about this last week and overlooked your message. I just replied to your PM. Good luck!

OverlandMan
07-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Looks like VideoBob ended up buying this car. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10321-Rear-Fascia-with-support-tail-lights-licence-plate-frame-etc

djdogbone
07-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Wow. 2+ years later