PDA

View Full Version : General Tool or storage box suggestion for locking compartment?

jawn101
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Thanks to some great Father's day sales around here, I finally have some emergency tools to keep behind the driver's seat. Does anyone have a suggestion of a storage/tool box that might fit back there to keep things from rattling around? I have a set of combo wrenches, some sockets, screwdrivers, fan belts, fuses, multimeter...

Come to think of it, it might just be better to wrap everything in a towel or something. Anyone have any thoughts?

content22207
06-17-2011, 09:14 PM
The cubby is triangular shaped.

Just keep them under the hood.

Bill Robertson

Notifier
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I know Sears sells some small tool bags that fit really nice into tight spots! I actually bought one and filled it with an assortment of tools, emergency parts and supplies, and other things for "just in case". The one I bought was a two for one deal so I used the second bag and made a kit for my wife's vehicle - type in 37537 into their web site. Probably won't fit in the storage compartment but you may be able to squeeze it into another area. Personally I like tool bags better than hard cases, they have a little more flexibility and don't make as much noise in a vehicle. I have a metal tool case in my work vehicle and a tool bag with tools in it. The metal tool case drives me nuts with the noise it and the stuff inside makes.

dvonk
06-17-2011, 09:28 PM
i saw an ad for this little Kobalt tool kit (http://www.lowes.com/pd_349050-23002-SF221_0__?productId=3370026) on tv... limited uses, obviously, but could be handy in a pinch and perhaps small enough to fit behind the seat? anyone have something similar?

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/843744/843744001298xl.jpg

Bitsyncmaster
06-18-2011, 07:47 AM
I removed the carpet insert in my compartment to get a little more room. I needed just a little to fit my 10 CD disk player in there.

Lots of tool sets come in "wrapped" pouches. I would think thats what you need to stop any noise.

GS450-Junkie
06-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Huh ?? What.... DMC had a father's day sale ????:wow: Awesome !!! Oh...no wait, your probably just meant Sears or something. Damn...I thought maybe that spring special snuck up on me. :poke:

Jonathan
06-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I keep all my loose stuff in a couple shoe boxes in the trunk. I have one for tools (multimeter, air pressure gauge, extending mirror/magnetic grabber, etc.) and one for misc parts (light bulbs, wire jumpers, extra relays or fuses, etc.). Easy way to keep it neat and out of sight and not flying all over the place.

dhaney
06-18-2011, 12:39 PM
All you really need is the basics. I found an inexpensive SAE/Metric ratchet set with a nice carrying case at the local Harbor Freight along with a 50 piece open/box end wrench set in a roll up pouch. Also its really good to have a couple of sizes regular/phillips and pozi-drive screw drivers and don't forget a couple of different pliers/wire cutters. Any average/small bag will do for this stuff.

I also carry a couple of jumpers, extra fuses and a multi-meter plus everyone should have a decent set of jumper cables.

I stopped carrying my spare tire a long time ago on the suggestion of Raddad and simply carry a can of Fix-a-flat.

The fix-a-flat and the jumper cables fit really nicely in the jack compartment and keep everything tight which stops it from sliding around. Especially since my strap to hold down the jack is broken. The rest along with the usual cleaning supplies all fit really well in the spare tire well.

I am probably going to mess up my good karma saying this out loud, but I have never had a flat tire in the Delorean and have not had a flat in any car in so long I can't remember. I think the last time I changed a tire (of my own) on the side of the road, was before I went to college in 1980. My good Karma may be due to the fact that I've stopped more times than I can count to change the tire of old ladies and others who appear to have needed help.

Dan

jawn101
06-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Good suggestions, all. I had been thinking of tool bags actually, or a Bucket Boss tool roll, but most tool bags have a rigid bottom that keeps them from fitting properly, and the tool rolls are a little too long. I ended up taking a few large shop towels and laying them down, then just stacking the tools up (wrenches are in one of those 'V' shaped plastic wrench holders, sockets have a little plastic case, everything else is in a ziploc bag) and folding the remaining shop towel over the top and sides. Fits well and doesn't seem to rattle, at least not yet. Since these are 'emergency' supplies anyway I shouldn't be dipping into them frequently so I think this setup will work for now.

Thanks!

stevedmc
06-19-2011, 01:16 PM
I picked up a nice set of two tool bags at Sears yesterday for just $12. It was on sale and the regular price was $25.

I only needed one bag and I managed to fit all of my tools into the smaller bag, including a rag and my scissor jack. The thing fits very nicely under the hood and I don't have to worry about my jack rattling around anymore.

jawn101
06-19-2011, 01:25 PM
I picked up a nice set of two tool bags at Sears yesterday for just $12. It was on sale and the regular price was $25.

I only needed one bag and I managed to fit all of my tools into the smaller bag, including a rag and my scissor jack. The thing fits very nicely under the hood and I don't have to worry about my jack rattling around anymore.

Right on, I just noticed a nice deal on tool bags at Sears as well.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940558000P?sid=I008440001000010038 3&aff=Y

I have been trying to keep things out of the trunk to limit noise as well as save the precious space up there, but I may end up going the tool bag route as well. I've got a few kicking around the house already as it is :)

I've also been considering Pelican cases for the loose tools as they would hold securely and they come in some odd shapes and sizes

stevedmc
06-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Right on, I just noticed a nice deal on tool bags at Sears as well.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940558000P?sid=I008440001000010038 3&aff=Y

That set looks a little different than what I purchased. Perhaps it is a bit smaller. Regardless, it is very nice.

I thought I was going to need two bags to fit all of my Delorean tools into the trunk but boy was I wrong. Like I said, I was able to fit everything in the small bag, plus my jack, and I might even add some more stuff. It looks so much nicer in the trunk now that the only things in view are a full size spare tire, gallon of oil, and a tool bag.

TTait
06-20-2011, 02:28 AM
Huh ?? What.... DMC had a father's day sale ????:wow: Awesome !!! Damn...I thought maybe that spring special snuck up on me. :poke:

One day of spring left...