PDA

View Full Version : Architecture Discussion (Split from $4k TX DeLorean)

OverlandMan
06-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Sounds good! I have a friend from High School living in Rowlett. Much easier since they opened up that new leg of the GBT. Used to really dread doing 635 then swinging up north. We have family in Paris, so we cut through there all the time. BTW, the Rockwall Courthouse (would think you would might have seen it since it is right off the interstate) - that was one of my projects.

Sure that new building with the "rotunda" right off I-30 @ HWY 205? Can't miss it. You an architect or GC or something? I grew up in Heath. That part of town is growing like a weed.

marvins_dad
06-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Sure that new building with the "rotunda" right off I-30 @ HWY 205? Can't miss it. You an architect or GC or something? I grew up in Heath. That part of town is growing like a weed.

Architect - I was one of the designers on the project. We went back and forth with them on the look of the building - they wanted something that reminded them of their 1880's Courthouse that burned down prior to the 1940's building that is their old town square. We probably had about 30-40 designs and finally ended up with the highly classical with modern detailing that was built. It is really a function building, which is why they were being pushed to build it by the state. So whether folks like it or not...I feel it is a well designed and functional building. It is a little out of scale right next to the interstate...but if they complete their master plan there will be Administrative buildings for the city closer to the road which will help reduce the scale.
That area has built up much since we started the project! If you ever have to go to Mesquite's City Hall, Courts or (heaven forbid) Police - that is a closer example of the general design aesthetic that we are more known for.

Did they find the engine and tranny?

OverlandMan
06-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Architect - I was one of the designers on the project. We went back and forth with them on the look of the building - they wanted something that reminded them of their 1880's Courthouse that burned down prior to the 1940's building that is their old town square. We probably had about 30-40 designs and finally ended up with the highly classical with modern detailing that was built. It is really a function building, which is why they were being pushed to build it by the state. So whether folks like it or not...I feel it is a well designed and functional building. It is a little out of scale right next to the interstate...but if they complete their master plan there will be Administrative buildings for the city closer to the road which will help reduce the scale.
That area has built up much since we started the project! If you ever have to go to Mesquite's City Hall, Courts or (heaven forbid) Police - that is a closer example of the general design aesthetic that we are more known for.

Ahh I see. The scale makes more sense now. I wasn't aware of their master plan. Good work on that. It certainly draws a lot of attention right there off the interstate!

Waiting to hear back from him. They had a lot of "stuff" (including some other cars) in that warehouse to move around just to get the car out. I'd bet it will take a day or two just to run down all the parts.

mluder
06-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Very Robert Venturi or Michael Graves... Maybe a hint of Andres Duany?

All in all, as civic projects go it puts on a face that matches its use.

Cheers
Steve

marvins_dad
06-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Very Robert Venturi or Michael Graves... Maybe a hint of Andres Duany?

All in all, as civic projects go it puts on a face that matches its use.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks -that's good company to be compared to.

mluder
06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks -that's good company to be compared to.

If you like traditional... I'm more of a modernist myself but respect some of their ideas.

Cheers
Steve

marvins_dad
06-28-2012, 12:42 AM
If you like traditional... I'm more of a modernist myself but respect some of their ideas.

Cheers
Steve

Post modern for some of those guys...was more speaking to the caliber of designers you mentioned. We are definitely more in line with modern arhitectural resin...but sometimes you need to follow your client and do the best design possible within he style restraints set forth but them. Trust me, we went modern, post modern and what I thought was the perfect mix of a relic (portico and rotunda) and a modern building mix that would have truly made this building different and unique while still giving ques to the past.

I actually don't care for rebuilding the past (traditional)...but do love classical builings that are historical...just don't see a need to replicate them like a theme park. My boss was in charge of dealing with the client and I was mearly taking orders. Lol I'll update ky account with a website so you can see the work we typically do.

mluder
06-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Post modern for some of those guys...was more speaking to the caliber of designers you mentioned. We are definitely more in line with modern arhitectural resin...but sometimes you need to follow your client and do the best design possible within he style restraints set forth but them. Trust me, we went modern, post modern and what I thought was the perfect mix of a relic (portico and rotunda) and a modern building mix that would have truly made this building different and unique while still giving ques to the past.

I actually don't care for rebuilding the past (traditional)...but do love classical builings that are historical...just don't see a need to replicate them like a theme park. My boss was in charge of dealing with the client and I was mearly taking orders. Lol I'll update ky account with a website so you can see the work we typically do.

Certainly post-modernists but then alot of that was merely a reversion to the past style. Venturi specifically wanted to throw aside the cold starkness of modernism and embrace the classics. It came through in much of his work.

The new urbanist, Duany on the other hand, is simply an "old urbanist" as in a return to 1930s design asthethic. When it comes to planning I couldn't agree more with him. When it comes to individual building design I can support his need to design in a language of the past. Buildings should be of their era and reflect the ideal and materiality of the contemporaneity. The classic historical architecture that you mentioned is revered because it is historical. It represents the past just as the architecture we create today should serve as a benchmark for our times...

...Says the guy who drives a 30 year old stainless steal car. :wink:

Cheers.
Steve

marvins_dad
06-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Exactly.

What type of projects are you guys putting out?

BTW - here is a thread on Sketchucation of some of my projects...this first page has the evolution of the design for the Courthouse. http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=31088

mluder
06-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Exactly.

What type of projects are you guys putting out?

BTW - here is a thread on Sketchucation of some of my projects...this first page has the evolution of the design for the Courthouse. http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=31088

Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, much of our work is for auto dealerships and as such alot of the design is set by the manufacturer. Occasionally something comes along that lets us stretch our legs a bit. We're a small office however so we don't typically get to do things on the scale of some of your projects.

Cheers.
Steve

marvins_dad
06-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Okay - we have a guy that went to Portland and worked at a couple firms in the area for a year or so then came back...just wondering if it happened to be the same firm. I think he was doing public buildings and recreation there as well.

I feel fortunate to be able to work on projects that are a little more high profile...not sure that is the proper term, but you know what I mean. There are headaches when working on public projects, but I do get a kick out of knowing that our buildings will serve the community for years to come.

I worked for a firm that did tilt wall warehouse buildings as their bread and butter. They inserted a design group into this production firm - I was one of 3 designers...I knew it wasn't going to work out when I overheard one of the production guys say, "why can't we just do box warehouses again....these churches require so much extra work and they don't pay as well." So, there was a constant struggle between those that wanted to help create a better environment and those that wanted to just do their job. I don't blame them, it was the management that decided to shift the style of work they went after.

The downed economy did take a bite out of us for the past 3-4 years, did you guys take a dive as well...not as many dealerships and other projects wanting to spend money because folks weren't purchasing cars as often?