PDA

View Full Version : Please post replies AFTER quotes.

Ron
06-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Please post your replies AFTER quotes...

There have been a rash of messages lately where the quotes are screwed up because the brackets "[" have been clipped off. This makes for an UGLY post without a button to go to the full quote for reference, etc.
...and for the longer responses, it gives the readers a clue as to what you are talking about, before searching through the thread...only to find it at the bottom of your post ;-)

Freaky Beetle
06-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Will do.

SamHill
06-29-2012, 05:00 PM
Whut?

Will do.

Ron
06-29-2012, 05:09 PM
I figured it would be Steve.

Will do.

dvonk
06-29-2012, 05:14 PM
+1.:hihi2:

I figured it would be Steve.

Jonathan
06-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Please

Sure

Ron

your

No

replies

Problem!

AFTER

Happy

quotes...

Canada Day Weekend!!! :)

Ron
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM
That "extra" wire does matter. Without it you will crank longer to get started, especially when cold. You could replicate the function with a small relay. Realize that the venders only care about originality or "concours" if they are making money. For the few that insist on such they will have a small stock set aside that they will charge a premium for. If they can make more money selling a substitute that works (even if it requires modification) expect it to become the new standard. Another example would be when all of the OEM fan motors are gone. Pancake fans will be the new standard. Just like the radiators. There are no more OEM plastic rads and why would you want one anyway?
David Teitelbaum

QUOTE=stevedmc;64733]Stuff like this amuses me because several of us were looked down upon for doing this mod 2 years ago. If I remember correctly, a stock starter has a line that goes to the cold start valve, while an Eagle starter does not. I installed mine back when I was running K-Jet and I just taped up the wire that ran to the CSV. I never had a problem.

I got bashed for it yet DMCH can put the exact same product in a car (and charge a $150 markup thank you) and all of a sudden that extra wire doesn't matter anymore.[/QUOTE]
^^ See this David? It is left over from your post -- Another reason to add to those I posted before and by PM to quote in what the rest of us here call the correct way.

To be as mechanically inclined and smart as you are, I can't figure out why you assemble your messages upside down to what everyone else does.
So, if you are doing it (~1/4 of your posts still) just to poke an admitted pet peeve of mine, it affects more than me, so please stop.

If you are having a problem and would like me to moderate your messages and fix them for you until you get the hang of it and/or using the Preview Post button, I would be more than happy to help?
:rolleyes1:

+1 on the "extra" wire.

Ron
07-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Sorry I haven't mastered the etiquette of this forum yet. I hope the content makes up for it. In that regard I have to correct myself, the wire from the starter does NOT run the CSV. It goes to the ballast resistor so as to increase the voltage on the coil during cranking. Not all that important except in very cold weather. In the future I will probably just delete the quotes. I am not doing it on purpose or to annoy anyone. Just because I have a lot of automotive knowledge does not automatically make me an expert on the Internet!
David Teitelbaum
It has nothing to do with mastering an etiquette or being an expert on the Internet. It's a matter of simply taking the time to click the Preview Post button you've been seeing for years. Or, simply looking at your post after you click the Submit Reply button and it comes up in front of your face, to see if it's screwed up.

As for the top posting vs bottom posting, you have to read the quoted material before you respond to it...so I ask again, don't you think your readers would benefit knowing what you are referring to before they read your posts? It's simply not like email where where a couple people send a relatively few messages back and forth then deleted them. There are often pages of responses from several people with different, but often similar, opinions all mixed in before one has a chance to respond. I've benefited from a few of your contributions personally, but more often it is in conjunction with helping others here. Sometimes they are quite long (I realize you are usually trying to be complete and head things off....) which makes the above worse, especially if it's a complicated subject, long diagnosis, or not sitting in front of a desktop size monitor. But again, the quoting "back wards" part is just a pet peeve of mine for me to deal with and I only mention it all again now in hopes that you'll understand where I am coming from....If one understands, there is nothing TO master, it just comes natural because it makes sense.

It's simple:
If you really don't get the forum, just click the Reply With Quote button a usual, then click near the top of the big clear white spot under the quote and have at it.
If you just like jerking my chain, have at that -- I (we) will get over it.
If you don't understand/believe it makes a difference, then there is no reason not to do it like everyone else.
Note that had you taken my suggestion WRT your previous post and previewed it, you probably would of noticed that you didn't even mention the CSV, Steve did. [Yes, that is what you were talking about and the ballast wire may not be as significant (unless the battery is low), but what you said is true just about any way one reads it.]

That "extra" wire does matter. Without it you will crank longer to get started, especially when cold.

Anyway, whatever it is, know I'm here to help and can't do that if you don't respond to my messages or PMs.
And please make an effort to preview and correct your posts as needed.

Dangermouse
09-23-2012, 01:12 PM
In a similar vein, if a poster has made a long post, please, please don't just hit "Reply with Quote" and repost the entire thing.

If you are commenting on a particular part of it, please edit the quote to just leave the relevant phrases.

I have recently found this to be especially awkward when using Tapatalk which cuts off a post after a specific length, or you wear your finger out scrolling down lines and lines , just to get to a "+1" at the end.

It is similar to the dml where every email is repeated for every reply.

Thanks everyone.

stevedmc
09-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Okay.