PDA

View Full Version : General Door leaking around new weatherstripping

Patrick C
06-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Gang.

I have many leaks, one of which I can see on my passenger side right about where the door switch plungers are. Water seems to get around the door seals there and channels into the car. I have the door adjusted inward as far as I can for a tight fit, brand new DMCH door seals, but it still gets the carpets wet. I am wondering if others have this problem and how to go about fixing it? Move the seam of the door seal ends somewhere else other than in that spot?

stevedmc
06-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I have found the best solution is to switch to a two seal system for the doors. I will post something in the custom section this afternoon with pictures.

Patrick C
06-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Anxious to see how you did this!

1batt4u
06-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I haven't started on my seals get, I do have a couple of leaks, but I do remember someone on the old forum mentioning to have the seam placed on the bottom of the car, on the door sill, center of "DMC"

Driver side seal on my car has a seam, passenger side, I can not find a seam! Weird!

Patrick C
06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
I haven't started on my seals get, I do have a couple of leaks, but I do remember someone on the old forum mentioning to have the seam placed on the bottom of the car, on the door sill, center of "DMC"

Thats how I used to have it, but it was too easy to kick the seals off when exiting the car. But now that I am using the metal clips, perhaps it will prevent this better.

DMCMW Dave
06-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Glue the ends of the weatherstrip together with black weatherstrip adhesive. I recomment putting the seam where the factory did for the reason mentioned above - they will stay on better at the bottom.

To see if the seals are really making tight contact with the door, close the door on a strip of paper about an inch wide at several locations (move it around) and see if you can pull the paper out. This will locate areas where it may not be sealing and you can see if that's really the problem. It usually isn't.

stevedmc
06-18-2011, 07:19 PM
As promised:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?445-Door-seal-mod-with-product-from-Lowes&p=3769#post3769

Patrick C
06-19-2011, 05:56 AM
As promised:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?445-Door-seal-mod-with-product-from-Lowes&p=3769#post3769

Very clever! I wonder if one could continue to use stock seals PLUS the foam portions you have stuck to the doors?

David T
06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
When joining the cut ends of the door seal use a short piece of rubber tubing inserted into the hollow to help keep the seal joined and lined up. I also apply some black rubber adhesive to "hide" the joint and help it to seal better. When cutting the seal cut it a bit longer so it pushes firmly against the cut ends for a good seal. Don't forget there is an inner seal and an outer seal. The outer seal helps to keep a lot of the water off the inner seal so if it is missing or needs to be replaced you should do it too. There is also an extensive service bulletin about water leaks. If you have water leaks you should go over ALL of the points in the bulletin.
David Teitelbaum

stevedmc
06-19-2011, 08:30 PM
The outer seal helps to keep a lot of the water off the inner seal so if it is missing or needs to be replaced you should do it too.

The front water seal also helps trap water from going down the A Pillar drain. I removed mine, have excellent drainage, and no more leaks.

Patrick C
06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Repositioned the end pieces down above the DMC logo and sealed them with RTV tonight. Will give it a shot tomorrow and see if it still leaks. I do notice that my door rattles are completely gone now that I have adjusted the doors inward a bit more over the past week. So that's something my car has never had before...silent doors when driving!

Blackie
07-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Repositioned the end pieces down above the DMC logo and sealed them with RTV tonight. Will give it a shot tomorrow and see if it still leaks. I do notice that my door rattles are completely gone now that I have adjusted the doors inward a bit more over the past week. So that's something my car has never had before...silent doors when driving!

How did this go for you Patrick? I am having the same issues as you at the moment.

Patrick C
07-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Moved the seam to the bottom, re-adjusted the doors inward more, and the leaks are gone! There is slight tearing already on the new seal, but it isn't leaking so I am happy. My doors also no longer rattle after adjusting them inward more, so I seem to have solved 2 issues.