PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber A Pillar Gauge Pod

protodelorean
07-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I've been wanting to add a Wideband O2 sensor gauge to the Delorean so I could be more aware of how things are running, especially under boost. For Father's day, the kids got me the PLX digital touch screen gauge. I decided to take pictures throughout the process of building the gauge pod so that I could share it with everyone:

11552First, pick out the location for the gauge.
11553Then, lay down some masking tape so you can make marks to show where the pods should be.
11554Next, bend coat hangers to form the shape of the pod. (This is probably the most difficult part.) Make small bends. Test fit, then bend again. Use masking tape to join parts of coat hanger togeher. (It took over an hour to get the bends just right.)
11555 The final "frame"
11556Now the "secret sauce" (Stretch a piece of panty hose material over the frame. Tie knots at the ends. (Tip: plan so that the knots are in places that won't be visible on the final part.)
11558Now brush a light coat of fiberglass resin (or epoxy resin) over the panty hose and allow to cure overnight.
11559 A quick test fit.
11561Cut one or two layers of fiberglass and apply to the pod. Allow to cure.
11563Now begin adding a layer of carbon fiber to each side. The carbon fiber isn't as as flexile as the fiberglass so I recommend doing it one side at a time and not trying to make it over tight corners.
11565Sand the edges flush after each layer of carbon fiber.
11568Lightly sand the cured carbon fiber (wear respirator!) to knock down the bumps in the epoxy only. Be careful to stop sanding if you see any black or grey on the sandpaper. This means you're hitting the fiber itself. Re-apply another coat of epoxy. Repeat until a nice finish is achieved.
11569Two screws through the top of the pod, into the a-pillar for attachment.
11570The final product!
Unfortunately since my dash is custom, this shape won't fit a stock Delorean so if anyone's interested in having me make these to fit a stock dash, I'll need to make up a frame at the next get-together when I have access to a Delorean with a stock dash.

David_NYS
07-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Wow, very nice! You make it seem so easy!

dvonk
07-01-2012, 11:01 PM
+1, nice job! very clever. :)

jfirios
07-07-2012, 10:59 AM
looks awesome. I have taken a lot of ideas from your most awesome car. I have modified mine a little bit. It is hard because of my inexperience and lack of tools. Basically rebuilt my interior with a 12in table saw, palm sander, and jig saw. :) Every day is a learning experience. Having to do, redo, and redo again to get it right.
Thanks though for all the inspiration.

Bitsyncmaster
07-07-2012, 04:07 PM
As always your "glass" work is amazing.

How do you like the PLX system?

protodelorean
07-08-2012, 06:56 PM
looks awesome. I have taken a lot of ideas from your most awesome car. I have modified mine a little bit. It is hard because of my inexperience and lack of tools. Basically rebuilt my interior with a 12in table saw, palm sander, and jig saw. :) Every day is a learning experience. Having to do, redo, and redo again to get it right.
Thanks though for all the inspiration.

Dude, you gotta send me some pics!

protodelorean
07-08-2012, 07:01 PM
As always your "glass" work is amazing.

How do you like the PLX system?

Thanks Dave! Actually, I've had the PLX "Module" and wideband sensor in there for a while. It's just feeding the EGO signal to the TEC3 management system. I felt a little in the dark though about how the system is running (when I don't have the laptop connected) so I deceided to add the gauge. Really easy to add. Basically just plug it into the module.

I think the concept is really nice, being able to have multiple inputs into the same gauge, but realistically, I don't think I'll need any more. I also like that the gauges are really shallow for mounting depth. Like 3/5 inch.

I haven't even played with the features of the gauge yet. (Hadn't had time to.) : ) I know it can do "Alarms" if max or min thresholds are exceeded. There's also Peak memory, etc. I'll post more once I get to test it out more.

stevedmc
07-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Nice binnacle.