PDA

View Full Version : General Need some advice on the ignition on steering collumn

timothymoore
06-18-2011, 08:20 PM
earlier this week, i had to to take 10186 to the Title office near my local town to switch my title into my name due to needing a vin inspection being an out of state vehicle. well since it doesnt run i had to tow-dolly it with my dads truck and when i put the key in the ignition to unlock the steering, i snapped a part of the key off in the ignition. The original key infact (seemed like a really low-quality key) my questions are this : How would i go about tackling the task of trying to remove the part of the key still in the igniton? And #2: Do any of you guys have issues with low quality/easily bendable keys? THANKS

timothymoore
06-19-2011, 04:33 PM
nevermind... reading through the tech manual and it shows how to remove ignition switch. will tackle it here in the next few days.

David T
06-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Locksmiths have a broken key extractor that they can slip into the lock and usually extract the broken key. If it works it's a lot less work then taking the lock out. If you do not have another key, then you may have to remove it anyway to make a new key. The key that broke was probably a cheap, aftermarket blank. The OEM blanks are not as easy to break. There is a key code usually under the headliner of the driver's door in black marker.
David Teitelbaum

timothymoore
06-19-2011, 08:25 PM
i have a spare key luckily. im gonna call a local locksmith tomorrow and see what they will charge to remove the key. thanks