PDA

View Full Version : Need a little metal cutting advise.

Kenny_Z
07-04-2012, 12:25 AM
I've got a question for the metal workers out there. In an interesting series of events Joe Walser from the Time Machine Restoration project asked me to make some keychains in this design for him. Bob Gale might even end up with one which would just be awesome in my mind.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/guard02.jpg

I've been having trouble getting those three center lines cut for a month now. The one I made myself was just for fun and no one sees it long enough to notice the mistakes. I used a Dremel cut off wheel so it sliced into the opposite side of the hole I drilled. I tried doing it without the holes drilled first but I didn't follow a line very well and one of the lines went in an odd angle. In addition the wheel leaves a bit of metal inside the holes. I didn't bother with it on mine but I'd like to make it cleaner for the ones I send. I tried using a scroll saw but I'm breaking those blades so fast. Those things aren't cheap.

The metal I'm using is medium gauge aluminum. I don't have the facilities to cut stainless that precisely or I'd be using that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mark D
07-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Find yourself a local waterjet place and have them make some for you. Pricing is surprisingly cheap, probably a few bucks each based on the design of your original.

They will need a dxf file of the outline to be cut, or you can send them a hand drawing with dimensions and they can create the file for you.

...actually, if you want me to create you a dxf PM me and let me know the details. I'm on the TMR crew with Joe and we can tag team this project if you want.

Kenny_Z
07-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I posted this on a Nova forum and a member on there wants to help. He can't cut in aluminum but he can cut in stainless so it'll be the material I wanted in the beginning. I'll ask him if he needs a dxf file to work from. Either way I'll PM you the sketch I'm making tonight. I've got to measure this original first.

nullset
07-05-2012, 02:46 AM
www.bigbluesaw.com can do waterjet cutting fairly cheaply.

It'd probably be the easiest way to go. That, or find a local hackerspace/tech shop with a machine shop you can access.

--buddy

Kenny_Z
07-17-2012, 01:21 AM
I sent the dxf mjdehlin created to the guy I knew from the Nova forum and he cut some keychains out of stainless. I got them in the mail today. They look awesome.

http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/keychains.jpg

They need a little cleaning up and possibly some grain added but I love how they turned out. Now to get them to TMR.

Mark D
07-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Looks like they turned out nice. The one shown there in the pic attached to your key is the prototype aluminum one you made, right?

Adonis
07-25-2012, 02:25 AM
I think you should be used a cutter to cut out this metal piece and you can get this cutter from any shop or if you
have no idea to cut out this cutter then you should be go to a shop and the shop keeper will be cut out your
metal sheet by using the cutting tools..

Stainless
07-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I think you should be used a cutter to cut out this metal piece and you can get this cutter from any shop or if you
have no idea to cut out this cutter then you should be go to a shop and the shop keeper will be cut out your
metal sheet by using the cutting tools..

The shop keeper will be cut out of your metal sheet? You should be used a cutter? If you have no idea to cut out this cutter?

Me fail English? Wow.

Kenny_Z
07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Judging by the other posts the account made I think that may be a bot.