PDA

View Full Version : re: WANTED - Meet with a Delorean owner and Their Car

vincesf
07-04-2012, 02:18 PM
WANTED: Anyone in the San Francisco Area to meet with and discuss their Delorean, and perhaps provide me with a short ride. I will be happy to reciprocate with a lunch or a Starbuck's/Peet's. I have always admired Deloreans and would like to meet an owner and have them go over their car with me to discuss Deloreans first-hand.

Thanks,
vincesf

ccurzio
07-04-2012, 03:58 PM
"Meet with and discuss" == "kill them and steal"

Jimmyvonviggle
07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Wanted- meet with hot chick to discuss how hot you are....creepy.

thirdmanj
07-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm sure he's harmless. Come on, he likes Deloreans, he couldn't possibly be a wierdo... :headscratch:

jawn101
07-04-2012, 08:00 PM

LOL!

He did say San Francisco, not Oakland.... :)

vincesf
07-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Some of you are taking this the wrong way, but I am truly interested in learning more about the car. This is a big request, so perhaps instead if there is local get together of Deloreans near San Francisco, someone could let me know.
Thanks,

vincesf

ccurzio
07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
If you're "truly interested" in learning about the car, seeing one in person isn't immediately necessary FYI. In fact, I would bet there's an internet forum DEDICATED to answering questions about the car.

of course if someone wants to show your their DeLorean that's cool of course, but don't assume you can't learn about it in other ways. :)

thirdmanj
07-05-2012, 09:21 AM
If you're "truly interested" in learning about the car, seeing one in person isn't immediately necessary FYI. In fact, I would bet there's an internet forum DEDICATED to answering questions about the car.

of course if someone wants to show your their DeLorean that's cool of course, but don't assume you can't learn about it in other ways. :)

Agreed. Check this out dude, might be worth it to you. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?4177-Delorean-buyers-guide-for-sale-at-Amazon-com-and-DMC-com&highlight=Buyers

justlooking
07-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Wow what a jerk you are. I made nearly this same post over a decade ago on the DML while in high school, and luckily another owner was kind enough to take me for a ride in a ~1300 mile car. It did help motivate me to complete a graduate degree and now ive been an owner for 10 years.

Do you think you could have replied more inappropriately?

Jimmyvonviggle
07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Wow what a jerk you are. I made nearly this same post over a decade ago on the DML while in high school, and luckily another owner was kind enough to take me for a ride in a ~1300 mile car. It did help motivate me to complete a graduate degree and now ive been an owner for 10 years.

Relax buddy, surely you realize we are joking and just having fun with our new friend. I'm sure someone will gladly fulfill his request. One thing I've learned is DeLorean owners love to talk about their cars to the point where we don't know when to stop. My wife will attest to this as I'm sure other spouses and partners of other owners will tell you.

Oh and if you have been an owner for over 10 years maybe that's given you enough time to record your VIN and location so we know where you're from...see a little more humor.

jawn101
07-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Not to mention that the local owners around here are some of the most humble and excellent people I've ever met. Someone will definitely step up for this request.

My car's off the road and I am scared to drive it in SF proper (especially once this brand new clutch goes in!) or I'd meet the guy myself.

ccurzio
07-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Definitely. How about this: "meet with and discuss" == "rape violently, then kill and steal"

I could probably do better, but I think you'd need to grow a sense of humor to appreciate it. So you should probably just chill out instead.

Not to mention that the local owners around here are some of the most humble and excellent people I've ever met.
I've found most owners in general to be like this. And most of them know how to laugh. :)

Ron
07-05-2012, 01:54 PM
OH NO!!! Not another poll...

Jimmyvonviggle
07-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Definitely. How about this: "meet with and discuss" == "rape violently, then kill and steal"

I could probably do better, but I think you'd need to grow a sense of humor to appreciate it. So you should probably just chill out instead.

I've found most owners in general to be like this. And most of them know how to laugh. :)

That is funny, made me laugh.

thirdmanj
07-05-2012, 02:55 PM

"like"

But yeah, get a sense of humor. Try reading posts out loud, and change infection and stresses on words as you do so.

ccurzio
07-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

thirdmanj
07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

That's not appropriate. I do not find it funny.

vincesf
07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Perhaps if it helps, let me provide you with a bit of my background, to help demonstrate that I have no ulterior motives, other than to learn about the Delorean ownership experience. First of all I am a 53 year old male, married, with kids in college. I am not looking for any relationship, not looking to hurt anyone, and not looking to sell anything. I am merely an auto enthusiast and have followed the DMCTalk Forum, and have finally registered. My connection to the Delorean was that I was 22 years old when they first appeared in dealerships. Locally they were sold at the Porsche Dealership in Burlingame and a dealership in Colma (just south of San Francisco). After several months, I recall the Porsche Dealership marking them down to $27,500 plus tax and license. My hobby car at the time was a 1975 Bricklin, and yes I was attracted to the Bricklin's gullwing doors, certainly not its performance, and if you are familiar with Bricklins, the Delorean is light years ahead of the Bricklin in quality control and just about every other category, except price, as my Bricklin cost $9,000, and had very little that could go wrong with it, except the Bricklin gullwing doors which were converted from electric to air. I have no delusions that the Delorean performs like my Lotus, but rather I would eventually like to acquire a Delorean for what it is and represents. I also like the fact that parts are obtainable through Delorean of Houston, so I should be able to keep the car on the road for some occasional weekend driving.
Lastly, if I were to own 3 cars in this category it would be a 1948 Tucker, a Tesla and a Delorean, as they represent 3 great cars from "independents" that could have been so much more (the history book is not yet closed on Tesla). I am NOT attracted to a Delorean because it starred in "Back to the Future", nor will I install a Flux Capacitator (sorry if I offended some).
I hope someone in the SF Area could contact me to discuss their ownership experience.

Thanks,
vincesf

Jimmyvonviggle
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Perhaps if it helps, let me provide you with a bit of my background, to help demonstrate that I have no ulterior motives, other than to learn about the Delorean ownership experience. First of all I am a 53 year old male, married, with kids in college. I am not looking for any relationship, not looking to hurt anyone, and not looking to sell anything. I am merely an auto enthusiast and have followed the DMCTalk Forum, and have finally registered. My connection to the Delorean was that I was 22 years old when they first appeared in dealerships. Locally they were sold at the Porsche Dealership in Burlingame and a dealership in Colma (just south of San Francisco). After several months, I recall the Porsche Dealership marking them down to $27,500 plus tax and license. My hobby car at the time was a 1975 Bricklin, and yes I was attracted to the Bricklin's gullwing doors, certainly not its performance, and if you are familiar with Bricklins, the Delorean is light years ahead of the Bricklin in quality control and just about every other category, except price, as my Bricklin cost $9,000, and had very little that could go wrong with it, except the Bricklin gullwing doors which were converted from electric to air. I have no delusions that the Delorean performs like my Lotus, but rather I would eventually like to acquire a Delorean for what it is and represents. I also like the fact that parts are obtainable through Delorean of Houston, so I should be able to keep the car on the road for some occasional weekend driving.
Lastly, if I were to own 3 cars in this category it would be a 1948 Tucker, a Tesla and a Delorean, as they represent 3 great cars from "independents" that could have been so much more (the history book is not yet closed on Tesla). I am NOT attracted to a Delorean because it starred in "Back to the Future", nor will I install a Flux Capacitator (sorry if I offended some).
I hope someone in the SF Area could contact me to discuss their ownership experience.

Thanks,
vincesf

Hey Vince(?), you know we are just playing with you, we're happy to have you onboard. I guess when you own a DeLorean you have to develop a twisted sense of humour because of how strange this car can be to maintain. Like I posted earlier I'm sure someone will contact you, and we know you have no motives.

Ron
07-05-2012, 08:25 PM
"like"

But yeah, get a sense of humor. Try reading posts out loud, and change infection and stresses on words as you do so.
:hmm:

David?

thirdmanj
07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
:hmm:

David?

???

vincesf
07-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Hey Vince(?), you know we are just playing with you, we're happy to have you onboard. I guess when you own a DeLorean you have to develop a twisted sense of humour because of how strange this car can be to maintain. Like I posted earlier I'm sure someone will contact you, and we know you have no motives.

Thanks, good to know, and sorry to post such a lengthy message above regarding my gullwing life story.

Vince
vincesf

jawn101
07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Vince, where in SF are you?

vincesf
07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Vince, where in SF are you?

I shall send you a PM, but I am on the North side of SF closer to the Golden Gate Bridege vs. The Bay Bridge.

Thanks,

vincesf

Rich
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
WANTED: Anyone in the San Francisco Area to meet with and discuss their Delorean, and perhaps provide me with a short ride.

Thanks,
vincesf

We're here south of San Francisco and would be happy to go over the basics with you over a cuppa joe if you get down this way.

Will send you a PM. You'll also want to be pinging the local club directly. Will advise in the PM.

Rich

vincesf
07-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Rich:

Thank you,

Vince

vincesf

SamHill
07-06-2012, 08:37 AM
...and anyway, what would be so bad about showing your car off to a fine young urban gentleman from Oakland?

vincesf
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
...and anyway, what would be so bad about showing your car off to a fine young urban gentleman from Oakland?

I'm not from Oakland....."Not that there is anything wrong with that.....".
Seinfeld.

vincesf

stevedmc
07-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Wanted- meet with hot chick to discuss how hot you are....creepy.

Why can't these posts every be hot women wanting to check out our cars? Renee was our only hope and she is gone.

I would gladly drive 10+ hours for a hot woman to check out my car. I'm that sad.

vincesf
07-07-2012, 02:16 PM
THANK YOU to Rich for meeting with me to today in his Delorean. Rich is a great ambassador for the Delorean and its owners. I could not have asked for more. An original owner who is very knowledgable, and a well cared for car. In short, I am sold and will start preparing for my search by getting my house in order (wife approval, selling 2 cars....you know the drill).
THANK YOU again for taking the time, I am only sorry that I waited 30 years.

vincesf

jawn101
07-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Glad you had fun!

Ron
07-07-2012, 04:22 PM
THANK YOU to Rich for meeting with me to today in his Delorean. Rich is a great ambassador for the Delorean and its owners. I could not have asked for more. An original owner who is very knowledgable, and a well cared for car. In short, I am sold and will start preparing for my search by getting my house in order (wife approval, selling 2 cars....you know the drill).
THANK YOU again for taking the time, I am only sorry that I waited 30 years.

vincesfGood deal!!!

Don't be a stranger...if you think "they" gave you a hard time, just wait until you stay away a while and come back!

J/K