PDA

View Full Version : Illuminated Ashtray Audio/iPhone Panel **Split from Matt's Graphic Overlay Projects**

kajcienski
07-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I had a couple requests to post this as a separate thread from "Matt's Graphic Overlay Projects" with more detail so here you go. This is the illuminated ashtray audio/iPhone/USB panel that now pairs with my new Parrot stereo. The process was pretty simple once I figured out a plan - just took time. I ordered an NOS ashtray from DMCMW, took it apart, and came up with the design to best compliment the car. The ashtray "bin" actually has indentations in the part you normally don't see (so I flipped the opening around so the cigarette snuffer is covered) where a thin, but very sturdy sheet of Lexan plastic rests perfectly when cut exact to fit. I then ordered a panel mount 1/8 inch audio jack and a panel mount double USB jack (had to do some tampering so it could pop through the Lexan. I then designed the graphic overlay and used that as a template to cut the Lexan to firmly hold the USB and audio jack mounts. I had to cut a section of the bottom of the ashtray in order for the USB mount to fit inside. I then took everything apart again and started to permanently assemble everything. I started with some super bright LED ribbon and placed it directly under the sections I wanted to illuminate - glueing it down to the bottom of the ashtray. Next I used "Steel Stick" to mount the Lexan panel followed by the USB mount using the putty as well. Then came the graphic overlay (a whole project in itself) affixed to the Lexan panel with a light spray of glue. Next came the 1/8 jack that popped into place. As you can see from the pictures, I used more Steel Putty to enclose and stabilize all of the wires (everything was soldered inside for long life) and mounts. To make it so I can take the unit in and out easily, all wires use snap connectors I got from Radio Shack. I used a few resistors to get the LEDs to the light level I wanted and then hooked the power into the shifter marker light. I snapped the top of the ashtray back on and voila! When shut, it appears stock. Works perfectly and should be there to stand abuse for the next 20 years.

MML
07-06-2012, 08:39 PM
That is an absolutely brilliant idea!

Dangermouse
07-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Fan...wait for it .... Tastic !

Even open, it looks OEM,

Spittybug
07-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Very nice indeed.

David_NYS
07-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Fan...wait for it .... Tastic !

Even open, it looks OEM,

Agreed! Very professional! Where do you intend to cradle your iPhone?

I thought about trying to incorporate something into my ashtray as well, but i am not experienced in these sorts of things.

Nicholas R
07-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Wow, this is definitely one of the coolest mod's I've seen!

kajcienski
07-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Agreed! Very professional! Where do you intend to cradle your iPhone?

I thought about trying to incorporate something into my ashtray as well, but i am not experienced in these sorts of things.

Many thanks! I'm personally not a huge fan of the cradle (especially what DMCH did on the EV - why would you put it there only to block the A/C controls?). The cradles I have seen look a bit clumsy in the ashtray spot as well and also wanted to include a USB and audio port. I designed this so you just plug your iPhone in with USB and easily keep it in the console tray. The Parrot allows you to operate the iPhone on its own screen so no need to even touch the iPhone when plugged in. Just my preference :)

David_NYS
07-10-2012, 02:35 AM
I designed this so you just plug your iPhone in with USB and easily keep it in the console tray. The Parrot allows you to operate the iPhone on its own screen so no need to even touch the iPhone when plugged in. Just my preference :)

Ooo! I see! I hadn't thought about that. I suppose it actually forces you to be safer as well!

Not to derail the thread, but do you find any of the features on the Parrot useful? How about the navigation?

kajcienski
07-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Ooo! I see! I hadn't thought about that. I suppose it actually forces you to be safer as well!

Not to derail the thread, but do you find any of the features on the Parrot useful? How about the navigation?

I actually have not been able to dive too far into the Parrot yet (will give my two cents in the stereo thread once I have time and know more). I WILL say that (contrary to some comments) I find it very intuitive and easy to operate. It syncs up right to the iPhone and displays all songs/podcasts and such with album art. The navigation is very basic and no match for my Tom-Tom, but useful as a guide. I would check out their site to see all it can do - pretty cool when tethered to the iPhone.

protodelorean
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
That looks great. Nice work!

Kregermeister
07-16-2012, 01:27 AM
That is the sexiest mod ive ever seen.

djdogbone
08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I'll buy that for a dollar! Actually, I would pay several for this little marvel!

kajcienski
08-13-2013, 09:03 AM
I don't really have the time to make any more of these, but if someone wanted to take the reins, I could try and make some build instructions.

I'll buy that for a dollar! Actually, I would pay several for this little marvel!

Mark D
08-13-2013, 11:18 AM
I'd buy one of these or build one if there were instructions/parts list available. Looks very professional

One of the vendors should get on board with this and give you a cut of the profit!

aipri
08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Very cool! Good job!

cybercusp
08-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Very cool! Good job!

+1
I'd buy one.

LordFly
08-13-2013, 09:14 PM

I have a Parrot as well. It's nice fit for the DeLorean, looks-wise at least. Now maybe this is just mine, but that Parrot needs a SERIOUS firmware update! I typically play MP3s off it via bluetooth, which works amazingly well. Except about 50% of the time (maybe more) when I press a button, they whole thing craps out and reboots. If it weren't for that, it would be an awesome unit. However, I would not call it a navigation unit. It does have Google maps, but that is not the same as navigation. It WILL plot out a route, but it will NOT tell you where to turn. It's basically up to you to stay on the route it picked. I do love the unit, but it has a number of faults. If you can put up with them, I recommend it. I would personally probably get something else, but I just think that it looks so at home in the DeLorean :)

mluder
08-14-2013, 12:01 AM
I would definately build one if the plans and parts list were available.

Nice work...

Cheers
Steven

LordFly
08-14-2013, 10:16 AM

I do love the look of this, it's SOOO well done. The only thing I could think of that would make it slightly better would be if the ports were angled back on like a 45° angle, just so cords and USB sticks weren't sticking straight up. But yeah, I would absolutely build one of these if there were some plans/instructions/etc. Right now I just have all the cords wrapped up in the glove box :disapprove:

Dangermouse
08-14-2013, 01:03 PM
I would definately build one if the plans and parts list were available.

Nice work...

Cheers
Steven

me too.

Timebender
08-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Nicely done mod. Clean and no one would typically know it's not original to the car.

Silverbullet
08-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Nicely done mod. Clean and no one would typically know it's not original to the car.

Hmmmmmmm 1981 car with USB Ports.... All Factory....:rolleyes1: lol.... Looks great though.

kajcienski
03-07-2015, 12:29 PM
An update... I might be pairing up with Rob on getting these produced and distributed through PJ Grady. Before we dive into this, are there any suggestions or potential issues anyone sees in this mod as a unit for sale? I don't see these as being exactly super cheap, so want to be sure we do it right. The two updates I made from the original pictures of the unit were replacing those terrible individual wire connectors with female USB connectors and female 1/8 stereo jack so it simply plugs right into any system (once you route the cables through the center console from your stereo of course) - And instead of separate power to the backlit LEDs, I can pull power from one of the USBs so this is truly "plug-n-play". 2 other revisions may be slightly recessing the USB plugs (though my arm stays totally clear from the plugs) to avoid bumping it, and changing "iPhone" to "Phone" or "Mobile" since other phones can of course be used with this. Thoughts y'all?

DMC5180
03-07-2015, 11:51 PM
I'm a sucker for Professionally integrated things like this. ( the blue light, I must go to the blue light, ZAP! )

Would this be a complete unit plug-n-play or a ready to install kit to your own ashtray? Not sure I'd want to spend the extra $50 on an ashtray I already have, but it's not a deal breaker either.

I would consider one, IF it doesn't cost more than the Stereo it connects too that I don't have yet. Somewhere south of 2 C-notes.

Will there be a choice of backlit color? I like the Bright white LED. I have that on my Illuminated shifter plate, but I found I had to install a PWM and turn it down to the lowest setting for night driving. For that matter I could probably tap the same PWM to control the lighting level of this too. I like the iPhone graphic but i'm bias as I have one. Those decals are really cheap to have made after the one time tooling charge. My employer works with a local graphics company to supply decal overlays like those to us for our product lines. I'm familiar with the initial tooling costs involved after which the decals are $5 or less for ones that small.

kajcienski
03-08-2015, 05:10 AM
I'm a sucker for Professionally integrated things like this. ( the blue light, I must go to the blue light, ZAP! )

Would this be a complete unit plug-n-play or a ready to install kit to your own ashtray? Not sure I'd want to spend the extra $50 on an ashtray I already have, but it's not a deal breaker either.

I would consider one, IF it doesn't cost more than the Stereo it connects too that I don't have yet. Somewhere south of 2 C-notes.

Will there be a choice of backlit color? I like the Bright white LED. I have that on my Illuminated shifter plate, but I found I had to install a PWM and turn it down to the lowest setting for night driving. For that matter I could probably tap the same PWM to control the lighting level of this too. I like the iPhone graphic but i'm bias as I have one. Those decals are really cheap to have made after the one time tooling charge. My employer works with a local graphics company to supply decal overlays like those to us for our product lines. I'm familiar with the initial tooling costs involved after which the decals are $5 or less for ones that small.

Thanks for the post Dennis! Great points. Well addressing one by one... Of course you will need to put in the cost of a new ashtray ;) Sell the old one on eBay and you are set. That is the base of how these little puppies are made! It is fully integrated and requires major modification to the ashtray unit. As far as color, the current proto is a frosty white/blue type color, meaning a pure white LED with a subtle blue gel behind the decal. Easy on the eyes. I wouldn't worry about it dimming with the lights. It would not be plug and play in that case, and not worth it in my opinion. As far as a true decal (graphic overlay) with the true proper texture and such, please pass on the info if you have a unique source! The main issue (as far as my research) is the setup cost (and I don't know your source in terms of cost, but the major companies who produce these per proper silk screen, not the digital print which is not the same in quality) are quite expensive. Rob will (I'm sure) work his magic on every aspect of this. I could not give a quote on what this will cost, but it would certainly be a "luxury item". It's not easy to make. But it is super cool and I use it every drive. We will definitely update in development, and work towards best price and such...

Delorean3610
03-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Could an alternative Bluetooth phone system be made with the same style? Or is there room in the current design for an integrated phone system?

Your interface looks perfect for an original look without having to replace the Craig radios. I would rather install this than ruin the original look of my Craig with a replacement radio.

kajcienski
03-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Could an alternative Bluetooth phone system be made with the same style? Or is there room in the current design for an integrated phone system?

Your interface looks perfect for an original look without having to replace the Craig radios. I would rather install this than ruin the original look of my Craig with a replacement radio.

That certainly would be very cool to include Bluetooth. My fear is that it is uber complicated to then go analog into an existing Craig. I know nothing about it, so not sure of anything here... Anyone have input on some sort of wireless capability with this unit's intended function? For now, the USB and 1/8th audio plug is still very current in order to plug in various devices and various makes. It sure looks great, and was intended to look "stock", even though ridiculous to think of a 1981 USB ;)

Delorean3610
03-08-2015, 11:50 PM
The installation looks like you may have to remove the center console, running an optional microphone cable above the center vents wouldn't add too much more work. Something discrete and tasteful can't be too hard to find.

And interfacing with the radio shouldn't take a lot of work to figure out. Someone has to already have done it in the last 33 years.

Mario
03-09-2015, 01:00 AM
A quick and easy way to get bluetooth would be to use one of these devices:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492ttP-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0047T79VS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1425877046&sr=8-9&keywords=bluetooth+audio+receiver

You connect to it with your phone and it outputs audio over a 1/8" jack. I believe it runs off of 5v, so it could be integrated into this quite easily.
I'm not sure how well this sort of thing would do in a car, though. There's a lot of electrical noise in cars that might make its way into the audio. Probably worth a shot, though!

kajcienski
03-09-2015, 02:59 AM
The installation looks like you may have to remove the center console, running an optional microphone cable above the center vents wouldn't add too much more work. Something discrete and tasteful can't be too hard to find.

And interfacing with the radio shouldn't take a lot of work to figure out. Someone has to already have done it in the last 33 years.

Running the physical cables from the audio head unit to the ashtray unit would definitely require taking the console out. But what is the fun of owning a DeLorean without experiencing the joys of console removal? ;) I suppose you could run the cables beneath the sides of the console without removing it and stuffing it up into the ashtray area with a slick maneuver, but only perhaps... I have not done that. I know a fair number of people have modified their Craig to take a 1/8th jack, so most likely not a big deal there. The other 2 USB in that case could be charging stations.

kajcienski
03-09-2015, 03:02 AM
A quick and easy way to get bluetooth would be to use one of these devices:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492ttP-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0047T79VS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1425877046&sr=8-9&keywords=bluetooth+audio+receiver

You connect to it with your phone and it outputs audio over a 1/8" jack. I believe it runs off of 5v, so it could be integrated into this quite easily.
I'm not sure how well this sort of thing would do in a car, though. There's a lot of electrical noise in cars that might make its way into the audio. Probably worth a shot, though!

This could definitely be an option when applicable. I know that I'm going to do this update to my proto!

Delorean3610
03-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Sticking one of these between the binnacle and the center dash pads would keep it well concealed.33297

papanoel
03-09-2015, 04:34 PM
would be nice if the USB put out enough juice to charge iPads and iPhone 6+ quickly.

Currently the output of my alpine stereos USB port charges about 1 percent per 30 minutes or so if the screen is on.

Delorean3610
03-09-2015, 04:57 PM
would be nice if the USB put out enough juice to charge iPads and iPhone 6+ quickly.

Currently the output of my alpine stereos USB port charges about 1 percent per 30 minutes or so if the screen is on.

That shouldn't be too hard to adjust, if his setup just changes the voltage and amps from the battery all he would need to do is change some of the resistors.

vps3922
03-10-2015, 06:10 AM
That certainly would be very cool to include Bluetooth.

Not complicated at all. I added an AUX to my CRAIG (http://1561project.com/?page=ipod-craig) and then installed a MICCUS MiniJack RX (http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-RX-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B0038MA11U). I got the CRAIG modified by a local shop but the linked blog works perfectly (tested it before doing the shop work).

This provides only BT Audio and no phone function. I also gut a USB charger that I aded to my cable tree, which is now getting +12V from the motor antenna out which is enough to charge the MICCUS. It does not require a lot of juice and it also turns now on and off when I turn the radio on or off.

It is paired with my iPhone and I now routed the cables so that the USB charger with the attached MICCUS is right under my ashtray in case I need to access it. It also gives a better reception.

I can only say: tested and working fine.

Lenny
03-10-2015, 02:07 PM
The problem I have is, if I do this where will I keep my change? ;)

kajcienski
03-10-2015, 03:48 PM
The problem I have is, if I do this where will I keep my change? ;)

This is only the ashtray, so your change is safe in the cubby.

DMC5180
03-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Cubby? Hear I always thought it was just a coin tray.

kajcienski
03-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Cubby? Hear I always thought it was just a coin tray.

I'm an optimist ;)

PJ Grady Inc.
03-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Actually the cubby box is what they call the locking storage compartment behind the driver seat back on "The Continent". Store that on the "pinnacle of the binnacle" or secure it in "the boot"! Matt you are truly an optimist as a cubby needs a lid on it and maybe so do I ;)
Rob

I'm an optimist ;)

kajcienski
03-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Actually the cubby box is what they call the locking storage compartment behind the driver seat back on "The Continent". Store that on the "pinnacle of the binnacle" or secure it in "the boot"! Matt you are truly an optimist as a cubby needs a lid on it and maybe so do I ;)
Rob

Touché my friend, touché! I just remember in grade school our "cubby" was a dishwashing tub we put on a shelf.

bfloyd
03-13-2015, 02:38 PM
Seems great minds think alike....:thumbup:

"Feel free to smoke the tires on them, but if you open the ashtray you’ll find USB and Aux ports for the Bluetooth-equipped 2-speaker AM/FM retro audio system."

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/03/13/new-164-12-ford-mustang-revved-up-and-ready-for-sale/?intcmp=features

kajcienski
03-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Seems great minds think alike....:thumbup:

"Feel free to smoke the tires on them, but if you open the ashtray you’ll find USB and Aux ports for the Bluetooth-equipped 2-speaker AM/FM retro audio system."

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/03/13/new-164-12-ford-mustang-revved-up-and-ready-for-sale/?intcmp=features

You saw it hear first ;)

ravecrocker
04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
This has to be one of the coolest mods i have seen i hope you start selling them cause i'll buy one!

kajcienski
04-13-2015, 07:28 PM
This has to be one of the coolest mods i have seen i hope you start selling them cause i'll buy one!

In the works!