PDA

View Full Version : LEDs for the car.

Ozzie
06-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Anyone got the old info on LEDs replacements?
I am particularly interested to know if anyone has a good cross reference for the front parking lights.

SuperBrightLEDs (http://www.superbrightleds.com/) is the vendor recommended in the past as a good source of LEDs for our car.

dvonk
06-18-2011, 11:11 PM
here is a thread on Cheap/basic LED interior lights (http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?152-Cheap-basic-LED-interior-lights)... it could have some pertinent info.

Bitsyncmaster
06-19-2011, 05:32 AM
I'm happy with the LEDs I got off Ebay for the front parking lights (signals and park). There was no brand name with those LEDs but they had 18 LEDs. Three facing front and 5 rows of 3 facing sideways (angled slightly to the back). Of course you want the amber LEDs. I think the dual intensity are 1157 type bulbs.

The same types but RED and (1156) also work good for the 4 brake lights.

DeLorean03
06-19-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm happy with the LEDs I got off Ebay for the front parking lights (signals and park). There was no brand name with those LEDs but they had 18 LEDs. Three facing front and 5 rows of 3 facing sideways (angled slightly to the back). Of course you want the amber LEDs. I think the dual intensity are 1157 type bulbs.

The same types but RED and (1156) also work good for the 4 brake lights.

Any possibility you could post a picture or a eBay link with a picture of these lights? I want to drop the cash; I'd just hate to accidentally get the wrong kind of LED. Thank you, sir!

Bitsyncmaster
06-19-2011, 05:57 AM
Any possibility you could post a picture or a eBay link with a picture of these lights? I want to drop the cash; I'd just hate to accidentally get the wrong kind of LED. Thank you, sir!

I'm pretty sure these are the ones I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-1154-2057-2357-7528-18-LED-Light-Bulb-Amber-Pair-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem25645240a5QQitemZ16059 6902053QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

They are a lot cheaper now because every one is offering more LEDs in the bulbs now. You may get better results with those higher count ones but I can not comment on those. I think the angle back of the side facing LEDs may help but the total hight is also important. If the bulb is to high then everything changes in reflector housings.

Ozzie
06-19-2011, 10:02 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1157-1154-2057-2357-7528-18-LED-Light-Bulb-Amber-Pair-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem25645240a5QQitemZ16059 6902053QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

They are a lot cheaper now because every one is offering more LEDs in the bulbs now. You may get better results with those higher count ones but I can not comment on those. I think the angle back of the side facing LEDs may help but the total hight is also important. If the bulb is to high then everything changes in reflector housings.

Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking for. If they worked for you then they'll be fine for me. With these, my car will be 100% LEDs (interior, tail, sides, doors) on the first headlight switch position (parking lights). I imagine the overall resulting current draw will be significantly different now, and it will probably be ok to even leave all of them on at a night time car show, with a well charged battery.

Once I get these, I'll test that in my garage first, taking voltage reading every hour or so.
:cool1:

Bitsyncmaster
06-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking for. If they worked for you then they'll be fine for me. With these, my car will be 100% LEDs (interior, tail, sides, doors) on the first headlight switch position (parking lights). I imagine the overall resulting current draw will be significantly different now, and it will probably be ok to even leave all of them on at a night time car show, with a well charged battery.

Once I get these, I'll test that in my garage first, taking voltage reading every hour or so.
:cool1:

I think the low power selected for the 1157 was less than 100 ma. You still need to find something for the rear "park lights". I built three strings of 4 LEDs for my rear park lights.

Ozzie
06-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I think the low power selected for the 1157 was less than 100 ma. You still need to find something for the rear "park lights". I built three strings of 4 LEDs for my rear park lights.

Actually, now that you say that. I did replace my brake lights to LEDs only, not the rear parking lights. Won't one of those bright 1156 LED (red) equivalents work?

Bitsyncmaster
06-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Actually, now that you say that. I did replace my brake lights to LEDs only, not the rear parking lights. Won't one of those bright 1156 LED (red) equivalents work?

I think the socket is the same as an 1156 but there is no reflector. You need the light dispersed over a very wide area. Hence, why I built my own.

Ozzie
06-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Oh, I see.

I think I'll try one of their 39 light LEDs and see how it looks.
I really don't do a lot of night driving anyway, so hopefully it will fit and be fine (at 6 bucks for a pair, it's worth a try).

jmpdmc
06-19-2011, 05:07 PM

Ozzie,

In the old DMCTalk thread on LED's, I had mentioned adding some chrome mirror gloss silver vinyl to act as a reflector on the inside of the running lamp position. I did this in 2008 and have run LED's there since. I cannot prove it is better than before but it seems more uniform. I bought them cheaply in a few sheets from a UK seller. It is worth a try.

Jeff

Ozzie
06-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Great tip Jeff. I'll see what I can find similar.

1batt4u
06-21-2011, 01:51 PM

Which is the exact device that has to be used on the LEDs for the front and rear blinkers?

Thank you!

Bitsyncmaster
06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Which is the exact device that has to be used on the LEDs for the front and rear blinkers?

Thank you!

The front are the amber 1157.

I did not like the rear signals with LED replacement bulbs. I designed my own LED signals for the rear. But those would be the 1156 type bulb since they don't also do parking lights.

1batt4u
06-21-2011, 11:13 PM
What I meant was, there is supposed to be some sort of device that makes the LEDs blink. BEcuae I had bought for both my cars, they would light up but not blink, and I was told LEDs need some sort of device for that.

Ozzie
06-21-2011, 11:22 PM
For this application, like the incandescent bulbs, in order to make them "blink" as in turn signal indicators, it's just done through an application of cycles of 0V, then 12V.

The taillight ambers are 1506, which blink on and off, by cycling voltage as per above.
The front driving light ambers are 1507, which means they are dual energized to stay on and "blink" on a second input of cycled voltage.

What LEDs do not do w/o a separate device or electronics, is to dim. This is typically encountered when you replace interior dome incandescent dome lights with LEDs, the LED ones will not dim. However, for our cars, Dave (Bitsyncmaster) solved that with a replacement solid state LED/Incandescent dimming module.

1batt4u
06-22-2011, 01:52 AM
For this application, like the incandescent bulbs, in order to make them "blink" as in turn signal indicators, it's just done through an application of cycles of 0V, then 12V.

The taillight ambers are 1506, which blink on and off, by cycling voltage as per above.
The front driving light ambers are 1507, which means they are dual energized to stay on and "blink" on a second input of cycled voltage.

What LEDs do not do w/o a separate device or electronics, is to dim. This is typically encountered when you replace interior dome incandescent dome lights with LEDs, the LED ones will not dim. However, for our cars, Dave (Bitsyncmaster) solved that with a replacement solid state LED/Incandescent dimming module.

Huh?? :confused0: English doc english!! haha lol!!

I don't think the LED turn singal bulbs will blink, I've tried them on 2 of my other cars. They just turn on and thats it, don't blink at all.

DeLorean03
06-22-2011, 03:09 AM
Huh?? :confused0: English doc english!! haha lol!!

Basically, Ozzie is saying that the lights turn on (12v) and off (0v). When they flash, it is like looking at a graph on a screen where 12v is represented as a "1" and 0v is represented as a "0". As the light turns on and off, the graph is similar to that of a heartbeat monitor as seen in hospitals, but rather than it being a triangular shape, it is a solid square. It looks like this:

http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44934

Boy, I sure hope I interpreted that correctly D: ....

TTait
06-22-2011, 04:30 AM
allow me to 'splain...

The LED is bright when the 12V is on - Yes

She is dark when the power goes away - Okay!

Now - the big question - why does power go away? Are tips of fingers pressing on handle and letting go? NO! It's blinkie blinkie thing under dash!

But blinkie blinkie thing needs a few amps of power running through it to make bi-metal temperature reactive arm to bend and then go flat again - and the LED's....

OH - OK then!

Big question then is what you need to make lights blink when LEDs don't eat enough power, right? Right!

You gotta take out the John Delorean Blinkie Blinkie and put in a Bill Gates Blinkie Blinkie! She digital! She don't care how many amps - she just Blinkie Blinkie and don't care (like my daughter when I say "take out garbage").

You need something like this http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Turn-Signal-Flasher-Kits/Brand/Dakota-Digital/?Ns=Rank|Asc

but not so 'spensive.

Okay? OK!

Bitsyncmaster
06-22-2011, 06:00 AM
You will need to get a new flasher for the cars you install LEDs in for turn signals. It will say on the package that they work with LEDs. The original flasher will do what you found, turn on but not blink.

Any auto parts store has them. Cost about $10.

1batt4u
06-22-2011, 02:02 PM
You will need to get a new flasher for the cars you install LEDs in for turn signals. It will say on the package that they work with LEDs. The original flasher will do what you found, turn on but not blink.

Thank you for the info!!
So I found on ebay for $13, I'll checkout my local auto parts store as well. Where is the Deloreans mechanical flaher located? Is it just one unit or 2, 3??

Bitsyncmaster
06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Thank you for the info!!
So I found on ebay for $13, I'll checkout my local auto parts store as well. Where is the Deloreans mechanical flaher located? Is it just one unit or 2, 3??

There is just on under the drivers side knee pad. It works both the directional signals and the 4 way flashers. Take the old one into the store so you get the correct one. I think it's a 3 pin unit.

Ozzie
06-22-2011, 02:15 PM
https://www.delorean.com/store/images/PRODUCT/medium/100708.jpg
EDIT: This is the standard part in our cars.

https://www.delorean.com/store/images/CATEGORY/large/3-6-2.gif
Location is #14 above.

Pic and diagrams above from delorean.com (https://www.delorean.com/store/c-283-3-6-2-combination-switches.aspx)

DeLorean03
06-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Hey Dave,

Sorry to ask such elementary-style questions; I'm just very careful with electrical stuff. You're saying nearly ANY auto part store will have a flasher relay? I'm a bit nervous about going to Auto Zone and telling them I need a "flasher relay" as I don't trust some of these guys behind the counter. Could you - or anyone else for that matter - please post a picture or a part number of a flasher relay we could use for installing LED's in our front and/or rear turn signals? I'm very interested in installing LEDS for these bulbs.

And on that note, what LEDS would we use for the front turn signals/marker lights? If memory serves me correctly, those are 1157 bulbs. What kind of LEDS support two filament needs like our front marker/turn signals? Thanks guys for any help!

Ozzie
06-22-2011, 05:27 PM
If I may..
Here's an example: http://www.topsellings.com/en/3-pin-electronic-led-flasher-relay-fix-turn-signal-p11128.html?language=en&currency=USD

I think that is a wholesaler price/website, but the point is, that is the hazard relay suitable for LEDs, and has the correct pin configuration of the part in our cars (my previous post).

Bitsyncmaster
06-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I think I got mine at auto-zone. They were on the rack and you don't even have to ask for them. I'm almost positive if the number of pins is the same it will work (they have a standard design).

You should see two types with the three pins. One only for incandescent bulbs that indicate when a bulb has burned out by not flashing.

The other type does not indicate a burned out bulb and should say good with LEDs.

DeLorean03
06-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow, thanks guys for such fast responses! My bad ,Ozzie, with missing your previous post. I saw the standard DMCH picture, and I assumed it was a "non-LED" flasher.

I assume suppliers of LEDS carry a unit that is 1157 compatible? Sorry for all the "duh" questions. It's been a long long time (years) since I've done LEDs after posting the list for the whole car years ago. I'll try to update the list accordingly and get it back up so everyone can know what to use.

I know basically everything but the rear end lights of the car. A lot more people here have experience in that area than I do. I covered basically the entire interior and side marker lights - so if anyone has suggestions when I post the list for the LEDs I use, hey, by all means - let me know. I'm about to install lights in the running and brake lights for the rear of the car based on what everyone else is doing =D !

1batt4u
06-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Well the relay was easy to get to, because I have all the panels off the car! The only thing was it was hard to get off, which the bottom of the relay broke off. Then I had to gently pry it off with a screw driver, then the harness started to crack! SuckS!

WelmoedJ
07-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Oh, I see.

I think I'll try one of their 39 light LEDs and see how it looks.
I really don't do a lot of night driving anyway, so hopefully it will fit and be fine (at 6 bucks for a pair, it's worth a try).

Have you already purchased this 39 LED unit?
Is it not too "tall" for the space between circuit board fitting and lense?

If you got it installed, please post a pic of the illuminated tail light section, preferable one with both units (LED and non LED) as reference material.

Thanks,
Welmoed.

Ozzie
07-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Have you already purchased this 39 LED unit?
Is it not too "tall" for the space between circuit board fitting and lense?

Yes, purchased, received, installed.
Fits just fine. There's a lot of room in there, the 39 LED blub diameter and height are close to the incandescent 1506 bulb, so it went fit right in, the new bulb doesn't touch any surrounding surface.

If you got it installed, please post a pic of the illuminated tail light section, preferable one with both units (LED and non LED) as reference material.

It's really tough to get good pictures of taillights. I checked it during the day (full sunlight) and from behind the car, you could see they were on, but not like overly bright (you wouldn't have them on anyway during the day). A few hours ago (night time) I went into the garage to try them out. I'm pleased, I think they do the job. Below is a the best picture that I could take, all LEDs at that point.
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2346&d=1309921784

Also, I did not do anything to internally reflect the bulbs output (got lazy). The LED bulb has an array of LEDs on the sides, and at the flat tip, in trying to emulate the incandescent bulb's spread of light. Looking at the lit taillight at night, it doesn't really fill in the entire lens with the same amount of light, and there does seem to be a circular hot spot which is the flat end of the LED bulb, but it seems to do the job nicely. - it sorta kinda depends on your viewing angle (and that may have more to do with the multi-faceted red lens shape). Oh btw, the front amber ones are just as bright as the incandescent originals.

I'll write here further, if I get feedback otherwise while in use, but for now I'm happy with the results. I am curious as to what my standby draw is now (all LEDs now) with the first light switch click, I'll take some reading sometime this week.

Tamir A.
07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Can you re-post the pic. of the LED, didn't seem to work?

Ozzie
07-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Can you re-post the pic. of the LED, didn't seem to work?

This is what I installed, purchased on ebay from vendor: premiertek_com
(Cost: $14.49 for a pair)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2406&d=1310137834

Ozzie
07-09-2011, 12:27 PM
OK, as of this weekend 2109 is 100% LEDs on the first light switch click.

This upgrade was done over time, sections at a time, the final LEDs were the rear tail light ones that I put in during the week. As a result, unfortunately I don't have all the equivalent LED bulbs documented in one neat place as they were on pre-crash DMCTalk, but they're not hard to figure out as you go.

Wonder what the current draw is?
I sure did, so as a reference (from a separate thread), I asked what the current draw is for a stock, all incandescent bulb-ed D.

No bites on that request, but Dave responded w/a smart theoretical answer:

Here are my calculations:

Front 1157 bulbs on low beam = 0.59 amps each.
Side markers = 0.4 amps each.
Rear markers = 0.4 amps each OEM, Grady's use 10 watt or 0.8 amps. each.
Dash illumination = ??. I guess these 5 bulbs would = about 1.0 amps.

So it looks like 5.38 amps with rear 10 watt bulbs total. Or 4.58 amps with OEM bulbs. This is just calculated so real current should be measured (with engine running).

Let's add to the number above both interior dome lights, and the door markers, and perhaps we'd be up to a total of a 6 amp draw for incandescent bulbs.

100% LED Comparison:
I trickle charged the battery overnight, so my base line readings were:
Voltage: 12.62V, Standby draw: 20ma (no lights on)

First light switch click draw: 1.2A

Yowza, that's an 80% reduction in current draw on the battery, which actually may be more because this is based on a theoretical equivalent 6 amp draw. Oh, and I have some footwell LEDs installed by previous owner, so that's a little more draw than a stock car would see.

As i see it, the somewhat practical values of 100% LEDs, are:
Longer life on bulbs.
Larger selection of bulb colors.
Less load on the electrical system/wires.
Brighter light dispersion (applies mostly to footwell and dome lights).
Much less heat on the housings (applies more to dome lights).
Better chance to recover from an accidental dome lights left on overnight incident.
...and the bling factor: Display car at evening car shows with lights on.

Future related tasks:
I'd like to leave them all on, and take periodic readings to gauge the voltage drop.
If anyone has a stock setup with all incandescent bulbs, a reference actual current draw reading would be interesting to compare.

DeLorean03
07-11-2011, 01:59 AM
All right, guys. I am taking a chance and possibly one for the team here. I have invested in the SMD LED lights. I bought 3 pairs of red SMD LED lights - 18 SMD LEDs for each bulb. $12 a pair - and this is what they look like:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqR,!hwE3Ojbqo3cBN-rm5y5Bg~~0_1.JPG

When I get them in, I'll install and take a picture so everyone can see how they look. Heck, I'll probably do a video too. I'll keep everyone informed.

Ozzie
07-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Ok, I've been off work on a staycation, and was able to find time to get some things done around the house and the car, and my blog.

So today I posted this today:
"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever." (http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2011/07/going-100-leds-on-your-car-is-good-idea.html)
....related to and in research to, this original thread.

Yeah, it's a bit long...but I tried to make it comprehensive, and it is based on my experiences with a completed full LED conversion. Hope you all find it useful.

Oh, here's a picture at dusk with all LEDs on:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2533&d=1310346382

1batt4u
07-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I see you threw in Captain America's shield in the background. :cool1:

Ozzie
07-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I've had that for a long time now.
With the movie about to come out, a lot more people know what it is now.
:smile:

Farrar
07-12-2011, 12:21 AM
FYI, I have spare side marker fixtures and I plan on seeing if I can get LED strips, instead of bulbs, in them. If anyone's interested I'll take pictures and post the results.

Good blog post! Nicely done. :)

Farrar