PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Painting Tips

1batt4u
06-18-2011, 10:39 PM
HI all,

When it comes to painting I'm not so good or lucky, unless it is powder coating which is easy!!

I sanded down the metal part I wanted to paint, cleaned it with some paint thinner, then wiped that down really good, made sure it was dry! I first started off with black primer, about 3-4 coats, then SEM Black Trim paint, about 5 coats. After more than 2 days of having painted the bar, I noticed some nicks/chips, very small. I scratched it with my thumb nail, the paint comes off real easy. I just noticed, turns out I used just flat black paint instead of the black primer I had. Does that actually make a difference in how the paint holds on??

If someone can really explain the correct process of painting for good tough results!!

Thank you!!!

Bitsyncmaster
06-19-2011, 03:56 PM
For bare metal, I use a self etching primer. Think I got it at Kmart so shop around the local stores. Just a quick light coat is all you need.

content22207
06-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Bush on Rustoleum. This is what my front end looks like after several years and 12K-15K miles of service:
1281 1276 1285 1278 1290

(For those coming late to the show, this was the occasion for my aluminum reinforcements:
Despite protestations at the time that I was going to "KILL SOMEBODY," they have performed just fine).

Notice the rub marks where my tires impact the sway bar -- paint is severely rubbed but still intact:
1279 1282

Paint on the sway bar brackets themselves is unfortunately no match for rubbing against concrete:
1286 1287

With enough coats (10), brush on Rustoleum even sticks to brass radiator channels (I do not brush the fins because paint buildup would interfere with air flow):
1284 1275

The body and ladder rack on my service truck were painted with brushed/rolled Rustoleum (cab is original):

Blacked out areas on the bus I donated to my church were rolled Rustoleum:

Bill Robertson

1batt4u
06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you all!!!

1batt4u
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
I have a Dupli-Color High Heat Engine Primer. Do you guys recommend I use to to primer the engine and then paint it with John Hervey's S/S spray paint??

TTait
08-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Does that actually make a difference in how the paint holds on??

It makes all the difference.

If you have the chance still, you might just want to media blast that piece back down to bare metal and use a proper primer...

Lots of shops will have the media blast cabinet, I do mine at a radiator shop as they use it to clean up metal tanks.

1batt4u
08-31-2011, 12:40 AM
I will be doing just the engine, so I can't sand blast it in any way. I don't think it is even painted. I am just gonna clean it down good of all grease and other stuff.

But you recommend the High Heat Engine Primer?

sdg3205
08-31-2011, 12:56 AM
I will be doing just the engine, so I can't sand blast it in any way. I don't think it is even painted. I am just gonna clean it down good of all grease and other stuff.

But you recommend the High Heat Engine Primer?

Don't you have the manifold off? How about the valve covers? They can all be sand blasted. It's by far the best way to prep them.

I just wrote up a "How To" on engine painting the other day. It's in the appropriate section.

And yes, if you dont go with high heat primer, it will ruin all your work about minute after start up.

TTait
08-31-2011, 01:09 AM
To be uber clear - high heat primer and high heat paint - engine paint specifically. If you get stuff for a bbq grill or something it may not hold up well to automotive fluids and chemicals.

A gloss finish will be easiest to keep clean, flat the hardest, and a satin somewhere in between.

1batt4u
08-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Don't you have the manifold off? How about the valve covers? They can all be sand blasted. It's by far the best way to prep them.

I just wrote up a "How To" on engine painting the other day. It's in the appropriate section.

And yes, if you dont go with high heat primer, it will ruin all your work about minute after start up.

I just checked it out!! Cool, thanx!! I will post there!!

john 05141
08-31-2011, 03:41 AM
If you're painting that aluminum part for the console. I use a fine grain wet sandpaper. Make sure you sand evenly, and the surface is better prepared for adheasion of any paint.

John