PDA

View Full Version : Link Background Picture

Rhsxo
07-10-2012, 02:32 AM
I was checking out DMC Talk on my iPhone yesterday and noticed that their was this odd picture of a red DeLorean in the background of some of the links. When I get on my MacBook Pro, I don't see it.

Is their a reason behind these pictures? Why is it only visible in iOS? Has anyone else experienced this?

ccurzio
07-10-2012, 02:43 AM
It's a bug in Mobile Safari.

Rhsxo
07-10-2012, 03:08 AM
It's a bug in Mobile Safari.

So why does it show a red DeLorean?

It was obviously put there by someone as it wasn't there a few months ago and doesn't happen on my iPad.

ccurzio
07-10-2012, 04:53 AM
It's a bug. It was not put there by anyone and it doesn't happen all the time. I'm still trying to figure out how to reproduce it reliably so I can send a bug report to Apple.

Essentially what's happening is that Safari is getting confused into thinking one picture on a website is actually a different image file. The red DeLorean you're seeing showed up in the "random gallery pics" at the bottom of one of your page loads and whatever condition is required to trigger the bug was fired, causing you to see it over and over. Me, I occasionally get a random image photo in place of the "last post" image, which is a tremendous pain since it screws up the formatting.

Clear your cache and the problem should go away. At least until it resurfaces again with another picture.

dvonk
07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Clear your cache and the problem should go away. At least until it resurfaces again with another picture.

conversely, you could use Tapatalk, which is personally one of my most-used iPhone apps (gotta get my DMCTalk 'fix' on the go! :lol:).

there are also alternative browsers that have more features than Safari; Google Chrome is quite nice, as is Atomic Web. Atomic Web also features gesture-based, full screen browsing, which gives you considerably more 'real estate.' its nice to know there are options! :smile:

ccurzio
07-10-2012, 08:00 PM
there are also alternative browsers that have more features than Safari; Google Chrome is quite nice, as is Atomic Web. Atomic Web also features gesture-based, full screen browsing, which gives you considerably more 'real estate.' its nice to know there are options! :smile:

This won't help the problem since the issue is not with Safari itself but the system's page rendering engine (webkit). So an alternative browser won't fix the problem. Additionally, using a third-party browser on iOS decreases javascript performance significantly. (Safari uses a built-in optimized JS engine.)